[GUIDE] Entering ADB/Fastboot/APX mode instructions

Search This thread

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans

I wrote this awhile back to provide known methods to enter each of these modes. I know it's rather wordy, but may help those that are newer to all this. See the link below for a more concise write-up. I'll try to keep this updated with any corrections and/or new methods and feedback is very welcome.

How To Enter APX, Fastboot Mode and Recovery menu

Special thanks goes out to tobdaryl for providing the foundation for this guide and to daws for
providing a previously unknown method (USB cable plug in while tablet is turned off).

Pertinent links:
The methods below written more concisely by tobdaryl: How to enter APX mode or Bootloader-recovery menu
Universal Naked Drivers (for APX/ADB/Fastboot modes): [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72
To install the SDK tools & drivers in Windows 7 (and other versions?): [HOWTO] Install Google SDK and ADB drivers...

The following instructions are written on how to enter APX mode. To enter Fastboot and Recovery modes, simply follow the same instructions but use the Volume Down button. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. Note: The screen remains blank in APX mode.

When your tablet is turned off, to enter APX mode:
  • Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for a few seconds, and then release both buttons.

• Make sure the USB cable is not plugged into your tablet (but is connected to your PC). While pressing the Volume Up button, plug the USB cable into your tablet. Release the Volume Up button after a few seconds (modified from daws' suggested method).

When your tablet is up and running, to enter APX mode:

• Turn your tablet off and wait a few seconds. Connect your USB cable to your tablet and PC. While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for a few seconds, and then release both buttons.

• Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing adb.exe, type: adb reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds.

• From a tablet based terminal emulator, type: su and hit the Enter key, then type: reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One suggested app (by tobdaryl) is the free Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play. Note: You must be rooted for this to work.

• Press the tablet reset with a paperclip while pressing the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds (the reset is located about either 25mm or 1" below the sdcard slot). Note: Do not press hard!

When your tablet is in Fastboot mode, to enter APX mode:
  • While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for 10 seconds. Release both buttons a few seconds after the screen goes blank. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally.

• Make sure your tablet has the USB cable connected to your PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing fastboot.exe, type: fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally. Note: Newer versions of fastboot.exe do not require the "-i 0x0B05" option.
Or, as a last resort!
  • Remove your tablet's cover, disconnect the battery, press and hold the volume up button, and reconnect the battery!

The following instructions are written on how to switch from one mode to another (not covered above).

When your tablet is up and running, to enter Fastboot or Recovery mode:
  • Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing adb.exe, type: adb reboot-bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. Note: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.

• From a tablet based terminal emulator, type: su and hit the Enter key, then type: reboot bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. One suggested app (by tobdaryl) is the free Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play. Note: You must be rooted for this to work, Note2: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.
When your tablet is in APX mode, to enter Fastboot or Recovery mode:
  • While pressing the Volume Down button, press the Power button for 10 seconds. Release both buttons a few seconds after the screen goes blank. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode.
When your tablet is in Fastboot mode, to enter Recovery mode:
  • Make sure your tablet has the USB cable connected to your PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing fastboot.exe, type: fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot-bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, press the Volume Up button within 5 seconds. Note: Newer versions of fastboot.exe do not require the "-i 0x0B05" option, Note2: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.
When your tablet is in Recovery mode (TWRP v2.3.x), to enter Fastboot mode:
  • Select the "Reboot" option and then select the "System" option while pressing the Volume Down button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, wait 5 seconds for the icons to appear, and follow the instructions to select/confirm fastboot mode. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Down button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Down button, your tablet will just boot up normally.
When your tablet is in Recovery mode (TWRP v2.3.x), to enter APX mode:
  • Select the "Reboot" option and then select the "System" option while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally.

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Nice guide! Thanks for taking the time to gather the information and create this guide.
It is clear, detailed, and easy to follow.
It should be a stickied.

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
Hi I tried connecting my device to my computer after holding down the buttons to get into APX mode. And after about 5 seconds I heard a connection sound then Windows told me the USB device malfuntioned. Any idea why?? I'm trying to fixed my friend's soft bricked tablet which cannot get into fastboot mode.

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Hi I tried connecting my device to my computer after holding down the buttons to get into APX mode. And after about 5 seconds I heard a connection sound then Windows told me the USB device malfuntioned. Any idea why?? I'm trying to fixed my friend's soft bricked tablet which cannot get into fastboot mode.

A couple of quick thoughts if it's not the device itself: check to make sure the cable is good, try a different USB port, and try re-installing the drivers (using the Universal Naked drivers, specifically the APX one included in the package). I've had troubles on one pc where it would connect and disconnect - it was either the USB port acting flaky or the OEM cable I was using...

Watching Windows device manager, is it showing it as an APX device or something else before it disconnects? Also, what kind of error?

Hopefully some others may have added suggestions...good luck!

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
A couple of quick thoughts if it's not the device itself: check to make sure the cable is good, try a different USB port, and try re-installing the drivers (using the Universal Naked drivers, specifically the APX one included in the package). I've had troubles on one pc where it would connect and disconnect - it was either the USB port acting flaky or the OEM cable I was using...

Watching Windows device manager, is it showing it as an APX device or something else before it disconnects? Also, what kind of error?

Hopefully some others may have added suggestions...good luck!

Ah I seemed to fix it when I held down the volume button while the tablet was off and plugged it in. Thanks for the help!

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Ah I seemed to fix it when I held down the volume button while the tablet was off and plugged it in. Thanks for the help!

No problem at all and glad to hear it wasn't a complicated fix! With APX and other modes, do have the two methods. Holding both buttons at same time, but I do find somehow it doesn't always recognize them (maybe I'm not holding the volume button solidly?). As worked for you, the other option is to have it powered off, hold the volume button, and then plugging it in to get it to power on and go into APX mode (remembering it's just a black screen but can tell by checking Windows device manager - mostly mentioned for any others that may come across this!).

If have more questions on the rest of the restore process, might be good to start a fresh post for the remaining steps. Good luck with getting it back up and going!

Nov 2, 2015
Hi @wha2do,

This morning I followed a guide written years ago instructing "-i 0x0B05" as part of a fastboot flash, which was a problem considering I used the latest fastboot available ...
Thanks to your guide, I removed that portion and it worked like a charm. Thank you man

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Hi @wha2do,

This morning I followed a guide written years ago instructing "-i 0x0B05" as part of a fastboot flash, which was a problem considering I used the latest fastboot available ...
Thanks to your guide, I removed that portion and it worked like a charm. Thank you man

Whew, it hit me how long ago that was posted, but glad to hear it helped! I def appreciate the post

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I wrote this awhile back to provide known methods to enter each of these modes. I know it's rather wordy, but may help those that are newer to all this. See the link below for a more concise write-up. I'll try to keep this updated with any corrections and/or new methods and feedback is very welcome.

How To Enter APX, Fastboot Mode and Recovery menu

Special thanks goes out to tobdaryl for providing the foundation for this guide and to daws for
    providing a previously unknown method (USB cable plug in while tablet is turned off).

Pertinent links:
    The methods below written more concisely by tobdaryl: How to enter APX mode or Bootloader-recovery menu
    Universal Naked Drivers (for APX/ADB/Fastboot modes): [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72
    To install the SDK tools & drivers in Windows 7 (and other versions?): [HOWTO] Install Google SDK and ADB drivers...

The following instructions are written on how to enter APX mode. To enter Fastboot and Recovery modes, simply follow the same instructions but use the Volume Down button. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. Note: The screen remains blank in APX mode.

When your tablet is turned off, to enter APX mode:
    • Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for a few seconds, and then release both buttons.

• Make sure the USB cable is not plugged into your tablet (but is connected to your PC). While pressing the Volume Up button, plug the USB cable into your tablet. Release the Volume Up button after a few seconds (modified from daws' suggested method).

When your tablet is up and running, to enter APX mode:

• Turn your tablet off and wait a few seconds. Connect your USB cable to your tablet and PC. While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for a few seconds, and then release both buttons.

• Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing adb.exe, type: adb reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds.

• From a tablet based terminal emulator, type: su and hit the Enter key, then type: reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One suggested app (by tobdaryl) is the free Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play. Note: You must be rooted for this to work.

• Press the tablet reset with a paperclip while pressing the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds (the reset is located about either 25mm or 1" below the sdcard slot). Note: Do not press hard!

When your tablet is in Fastboot mode, to enter APX mode:
    • While pressing the Volume Up button, press the Power button for 10 seconds. Release both buttons a few seconds after the screen goes blank. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally.

• Make sure your tablet has the USB cable connected to your PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing fastboot.exe, type: fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot and hit the Enter key while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally. Note: Newer versions of fastboot.exe do not require the "-i 0x0B05" option.
    Or, as a last resort!
    • Remove your tablet's cover, disconnect the battery, press and hold the volume up button, and reconnect the battery!

The following instructions are written on how to switch from one mode to another (not covered above).

When your tablet is up and running, to enter Fastboot or Recovery mode:
    • Make sure your USB cable is connected to your tablet and PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing adb.exe, type: adb reboot-bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. Note: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.

• From a tablet based terminal emulator, type: su and hit the Enter key, then type: reboot bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode. One suggested app (by tobdaryl) is the free Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play. Note: You must be rooted for this to work, Note2: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.
    When your tablet is in APX mode, to enter Fastboot or Recovery mode:
    • While pressing the Volume Down button, press the Power button for 10 seconds. Release both buttons a few seconds after the screen goes blank. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, follow the displayed instructions to enter the desired mode.
    When your tablet is in Fastboot mode, to enter Recovery mode:
    • Make sure your tablet has the USB cable connected to your PC. Open a command prompt on your PC, navigate to the folder containing fastboot.exe, type: fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot-bootloader and hit the Enter key. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, press the Volume Up button within 5 seconds. Note: Newer versions of fastboot.exe do not require the "-i 0x0B05" option, Note2: I was unable to verify this method possibly due to having the AndroidRoot.mobi custom bootloader. This method only performs a regular reboot for me.
    When your tablet is in Recovery mode (TWRP v2.3.x), to enter Fastboot mode:
    • Select the "Reboot" option and then select the "System" option while pressing the Volume Down button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. Once the message: "Checking for RCK.. press key <Vol_Up> in 5 sec to enter RCK" is displayed, wait 5 seconds for the icons to appear, and follow the instructions to select/confirm fastboot mode. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Down button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Down button, your tablet will just boot up normally.
    When your tablet is in Recovery mode (TWRP v2.3.x), to enter APX mode:
    • Select the "Reboot" option and then select the "System" option while holding down the Volume Up button until the screen remains blank for a few seconds. One variation is to wait and press the Volume Up button immediately after the screen goes blank and then release it after a few seconds. If you wait too long to press the Volume Up button, your tablet will just boot up normally.