Metar widget for pilots

Search This thread

ridethisbike

Sep 30, 2011
Right now I'm looking into adding a color picker and alpha slider in order to choose color/transparency of widget as requested earlier.
But after that I can try to make true scrollable widget also but might not work with all launchers though. But I'll definitely give it a try.

Now what phone are you using ? Because that might explain why the buttons disappear when resizing, if you screen is small. On my S2 it works fine. Also depends on the size of the METAR text. Nothing I can really do about that until I make a fully scrollable widget:laugh:

Inspire 4G. They disappear on my N7 when resizing down to 4x1 as well. I'm using Apex launcher on both, might have something to do with it...

EDIT: The Nexus 7 is actually only showing the 3x2 widgets... I just resized them to my liking without paying attention lol But yea, when I resize them to ?x1 the buttons go bye bye

EDIt 2: The 3x2 Fancy wasn't showing the buttons at all unless I resized it to 3x3. Either launcher or text size... Stock launcher was doing it too... weird.

Last edited:

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Inspire 4G. They disappear on my N7 when resizing down to 4x1 as well. I'm using Apex launcher on both, might have something to do with it...

EDIT: The Nexus 7 is actually only showing the 3x2 widgets... I just resized them to my liking without paying attention lol But yea, when I resize them to ?x1 the buttons go bye bye

EDIt 2: The 3x2 Fancy wasn't showing the buttons at all unless I resized it to 3x3. Either launcher or text size... Stock launcher was doing it too... weird.

The fancy one is 3x3 anyway. And the Simple is 4x2. I had to define it that way for the buttons to be visible in case the widget is added when the metar text is 2 line long or more because the size adapts to the content i.e the widget expands when lots of text.

Anyway I'm currently working on the customizable color so that everyone can pick whatever color/transparency they want. Hopefully it'll be ready by the end of the week. I managed to change the color/transparency of my widget but I still have to modify the menus and stuff to make it usable and bug free.

ridethisbike

Sep 30, 2011
The fancy one is 3x3 anyway. And the Simple is 4x2. I had to define it that way for the buttons to be visible in case the widget is added when the metar text is 2 line long or more because the size adapts to the content i.e the widget expands when lots of text.

Anyway I'm currently working on the customizable color so that everyone can pick whatever color/transparency they want. Hopefully it'll be ready by the end of the week. I managed to change the color/transparency of my widget but I still have to modify the menus and stuff to make it usable and bug free.

It's working now, but I SWEAR that when I posted that, it was showing and coming out as a 3x2 and I had to resize it. Oh well, no harm no foul right?

As I said before, I look forward to the progress of this widget. You're taking METARs to a whole new level! :good:

Reactions: Florendroid

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Version 1.6 featuring a reduced size for the Tiny widget ( now 4x1 for all) and the option to choose your own widget text and background color/transparency is now available on the playstore !!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone !

I'm proud to present my 1st app on the playstore. This is a simple widget to display METAR data ( aviation weather ) right on your homescreen.
    You can also check TAFs and quick access your favorite weather and navigation website.

Check it out. Hope you'll like it. Here's the link :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0Il0.

And now is also available the donate version with added features :

-3 widgets -> fancy one similar to the free version with extra data
    ->simple one with raw text
    ->tiny widget to save space on screen
    -you can save up to 5 airports to scroll through on widget
    -PIREPs access from widget
    - choose your own widget background and text color/transparency
    -4 different widget skins ( one of which transparent)
    -5 different colors for the METARs/TAFs list and PIREPs list
    -possibility to search for airports with METARs within 50NM of another airport ( in case your home airport doesn't offer METAR data for example)

here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Florent.metarwidgetdonate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0ZG9uYXRlIl0.

New versions are up for both free and donate widgets with possibility to change units ( SM -> Km and inHg -> hPa)
    Hi Stefan.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Funny that you posted it almost at the same time I published a donate version of the app which features an additional widget with raw data ! :p
    With the donate version you're also able to add up to 5 airports to scroll through on the widget.
    However the raw data widget is still a bit big in my opinion so as you suggested I'm probably gonna reduce the size of the text to make it a bit smaller.
    I've updated the OP. You can take a quick look for all the extra features of the donate version.

Thanks again for downloading. Feel free to report any bug.

Donated ;)

The 4x2 is fair enough, but as you said, you could make it smaller by working with "hitboxes", which might need some explanation for new users though.

If you add a big one in the middle that opens the detailed view (which I love btw, seeing the last 3 METARs as well is extremely useful), a small one for reloading and another small one for switching to the next airport, you should be fine and save some space.

Since it is already very nice for me (and will stay on my homescreen from now on), I'd also like to request some more color options:
    - "pick your own color" (I'd like... black)
    - transparency setting for the widget
    Just to make it blend in with the other widgets I have.

Thanks again
    Stefan
    Hi Grunera. Well I'm French as well, it's just that I'm living in Canada now. I'll look into it. Funny thing is in Canada the QNH ( which we don't use) is included in the metar data we get for the widget but for the French ones ( for instance LFPG) it's not....so I'll just have to convert.

Au fait c'est encore pas la fin du monde en France ? :laugh:

La fin du monde c'est fini... jusqu'à la prochaine ;)

In fact in my job we only use QNH...visibility... in Mbars and meters.
    (I've got the donate version, trying to contribute a little bit)

It's working now, but I SWEAR that when I posted that, it was showing and coming out as a 3x2 and I had to resize it. Oh well, no harm no foul right?

As I said before, I look forward to the progress of this widget. You're taking METARs to a whole new level! :good: