[moto_msm8960][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch 6.xx.* and upwards.

Search This thread

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
My last try for the day: What I've found (you can ignore all this and just try the one file linked to in post 30) is that the same named files exist all over the tree, and that's fine and it makes sense to me, but not being used to cm11 I didn't know for certain which one's were good for my purpose.

My last try which is in the test-* image now, was from the files_context file in the ./device tree. It "appeared" to work for me on a backup and a restore, but I'm not 100% sure I believe it due to the same dates and times being on the files. On the other hand, tar can easily do that, so it maybe is good now.

Good luck ;)

Depends on the flag:
+= will merge to core se context
= will only use files from device
So better add it in device tree if it has such a file

You are not risking a lot. The format actually is failing. If you can format, the restore will go on

Reactions: aviwdoowks

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
Depends on the flag:
+= will merge to core se context
= will only use files from device
So better add it in device tree if it has such a file

You are not risking a lot. The format actually is failing. If you can format, the restore will go on

OK: Still trying. I move the comment above to the main thread so others can see, comment, kill me, etc. I'm going to make a few notes, do a repo sync on the latest code, and start fresh with this since I think I've got a decent place to make changes where they have an effect, regardless of whether the effect is working right. I'm still too fresh with the selinux flags to have any confidence that they're doing what I thought they did.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
My /persist is now timestamped for today! Good job. I have a log but I got no err.
Edit.
I only tested using custom bu to sdcard1 for cache & extra part.

Last edited:

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
My /persist is now timestamped for today! Good job. I have a log but I got no err.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I've just fetched the latest git, and have tried to duplicate what I thought was the important parts for that type of change. Now of course, I'm not able to build so might have to clobber it and restart. For this thread, I might just integrate it into the regular build to avoid confusion since I can't imagine many people backing up and restoring 'extra_part1" unless they know what they're doing..

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Good! Std equipment! Yes.
Maybe you could end up with all partitions in a backup! Wow!

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Finally we could have a complete backup. Am I missing something in the big picture here? Koush tell me it ain't so.

Last edited:

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
Good! Std equipment! Yes.
Maybe you could end up with all partitions in a backup! Wow!

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Finally we could have a complete backup. Am I missing something in the big picture here? Koush tell my it ain't so.

There's always a catch, and I'm not sure what it is, but one concern is that I haven't yet spent much time actually using the recovery. When I just stare at that page called I think "advanced or custom backup/recovery", I realize it's pretty full, and that having added one partition, I can't quite figure out what the paradigm was for putting more stuff on a single page. Maybe that's a catch for the moment (for adding partitions).

Anyway: I'm back to having some problems just building the latest version, so maybe I'll take a break and spend some time just trying to use all the screens and see if there was provisions for 'scrolling' that I missed. I'd hate to just keep making the font smaller to fit stuff on a page but maybe there's another setting. I have to take a good look at the 'settings'. As soon as I can build again (and have time after work) I'll get the latest up here.

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
what is this scrolling issue?
can you detail exactly the bug?
did you modify sources?

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
what is this scrolling issue?
can you detail exactly the bug?
did you modify sources?

Turns out there is no issue. I've been using your recovery just for actual backups and restores, but haven't explored how all of it works yet. Scrolling was just a question of mine. Turns out it's fine. No, didn't modify your sources.

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
New version.

Latest version: 6.23.8 is in OP. Incorporates test changes from earlier in this thread. Tested on my phone. (xt926).

Edit: I'm going to take some time to get this thing organized in my github before any other changes. Like everything else here, I'm pretty new to using github so it might take me a day or two to get the linkages right.

Last edited:

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
Great job.
Do you know the time keeping is off?

Thanks. I just did a backup and the time seems to be right on mine. Is that what you're talking about or file timestamps or something else? I've got mine setup for PDT and it seems to be handling that part right. My replying is going to be slow, got injured in my left arm yesterday, so because of some nerve, the hand is out of action for awhile (month?, not sure). I'm slowly pecking things out with my right hand.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I looked. Where do I go set time?

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Sorry about your injury! Massage therapy might help. Pm me w/ details.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I found it. There are 3 x box options which should I choose?
As is I am 2 hrs slow on Pacific time + dst.

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
I looked. Where do I go set time?

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Sorry about your injury! Massage therapy might help. Pm me w/ details.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I found it. There are 3 x box options which should I choose?
As is I am 2 hrs slow on Pacific time + dst.

I see my time is right. I'm in California so UTC-8. Under Time Settings, I've chosen UTC-8:00 - Time Zone Offset +0, DLST: (x).

Good luck. Maybe you need to revert all your settings to default for some reason. Should be no change in this from the last setup though.

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8

Another new version: 6.24.6

Changelog in OP. I also noticed in the current last post by Phil in the main thread this line:

"It also better handles time daemon and fix a few annoying display and wired log bugs"

Whether or not that had anything to do with anyone having time/date problems, I don't know since I didn't have them myself, but maybe.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
The one handed wonder! We are synced with the sammy guys thanks to you!
Btw do you think koush's sorting of ABC followed by abc could be done away with? But it must be coded in the cwmr base. So unlikely right.

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
The one handed wonder! We are synced with the sammy guys thanks to you!
Btw do you think koush's sorting of ABC followed by abc could be done away with? But it must be coded in the cwmr base. So unlikely right.

Lol! Yeah, the first forum guy to need his own "cornerman". I'm guessing you answered your own question about sorting, but honestly I haven't yet noticed it so will take a look in there to see it myself. I don't think that stuff , say in recovery.c or nandroid.c is 'hallowed' or completely off-limits but it does make 'syncing' with the mothership more complex.

Whenever I started doing this, I looked at the md5 code in nandroid and thought it was kind of wasteful (it just exec'd a shell script that used $md5sum), but it's been recoded I think this week, and it's just the way I'd have wanted it so apparently it can be done.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
From Phil...'s last post in the main thread, it seems we will be dropped from HIS support. Which is totally understandable to say the least. He has put CWMR into a such a wonderful state!

Which begs the question about about rootsu's comment on ownership (oblique?) & your role in this change?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Main thread + features + install instructions + dev support

PhilZ Touch is a CWM Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in CWM
    It is a well proven recovery for many phones

It also adds a full touch interface a completely configurable GUI

Please give your feedback, what works, and any bug you could encounter
    Read the features, and check if you are missing something

Also, do not forget to read about the powerful aroma file manager integration and double tap shortcut

Addendum: Unified builds, in particular this one for moto_msm8960 devices:

Supposed list of unified devices: Previous RAZR HD, Photon Q, Atrix HD, etc. : xt897, xt901, xt905, xt907, xt905, xt925, xt926, mb886 are now:

Now: moto_msm8960

I'm going to put them in a list so I can get around to checking Y on known working ones, and N on known non-working ones:

- xt926 (Y)
    - xt925 (Y)
    - mb886 (Y)
    - xt897 (Y)
    - xt901 (?)
    - xt905 (?)
    - xt907 (Y)​

Quick notes about unified devices:

Do they all work in this build? I have no idea, but am pretty sure that from feedback that xt926/5, xt907 and xt897 have been reported to work.
    The bottom line is that I rely on anyone reading here (or who is directed here from their development pages) to let me know what works, what doesn't so please let me know.

----------------------------

Download links
    Latest versions built by me can be found here: (currently 6.xx.* and up).

Note: 6.58.7 final/stable is the latest (see the main development thread if not understood)

Changelogs:

v6.58.7 - new code and fixes
    6.43.6 (02.06.2014)
    - fix recursive path creation bug for /data/media/0
    - default to /data/media/0 unless we define BOARD_HAS_NO_MULTIUSER_SUPPORT
    - use lstat to check if file exists

6.43.4 - Final, Stable
    - fix text print color could persist after md5 check

6.42.9 - Final & Stable
    - default again to libtar for backup/restore

6.42.7 - Stable
    - default to busybox tar:
    - use busybox tar by default as it now supports selinux context backup/restore
    - unify libtar and busybox tar options (-p for selinux context)
    - remove now deprecated external selinux container code

6.41.6 - Stable & perhaps Final
    - update exfat to dorimanx 1.2.9 latest sources
    - fix compile error when enabling BOARD_RECOVERY_USE_BBTAR
    - repo sync latest sources
    - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi SM-T320 (mondrianwifi)
    - HTC M7 variants: use new cm kernel with exfat sources
    - HTC M8 variants: use new unified recovery

6.41.5 - Stable
    - libtouch_gui 1.21: auto detect BRIGHTNESS_SYS_FILE path if it is not set during compile
    * search for the file in most common locations
    * if found, save it to recovery settings ini file to be called on next recovery starts
    * else, disable adjust brightness function to avoid error logs on recovery start
    - fix various compiler warnings and errors
    - enhance pre-compile setup
    - dedupe: merge clean up code from @xiaolu
    - merge: fix restorecon_from_file potential crash from @xiaolu (only for BOARD_RECOVERY_USE_BBTAR)
    - fix 240x320 images
    - merge "cwm: Honor recovery variant "
    - merge "cwm: Remove hardcoded paths"
    - merge "Keep 'show log' on screen until user dismisses it"
    - create /data/media directory after internal storage is wiped
    prevents denial to read/write from internal storage under some circumstances
    - open source touch_gui library
    - update licence files
    - Unified msm8960: 6.58.7 (4.4.4): Image : http://d-h.st/2xD
    - v6.43.6: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/HgH
    - v6.43.4: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/sQQ
    - v6.42.9: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/SjY
    - v6.42.7: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/9pD
    - v6.41.6: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/uq1
    - v6.41.5: Unified msm8960: http://d-h.st/QiK

Note: tested only on my xt926. Aroma has a few little glitches but is not often maintained.

Older versions built by Phil (or his 'crew'):

My github(just created/work-in-progress) for tracking changes on this: https://github.com/Hachamacha/philz.git

Note: My part in this is very minuscule. I just got (git) his source and stuck it into cm11 as a build base. I changed very little, only added the msm8960 build since I think phil is working on the source rather than many individual builds due to time. If you look at his github from the main page link, the only file I really changed was ./boardconfig/BoardConfig.mk under ./recovery.

Goal: Just to make this available and keep people out of the main thread that aren't developing. If I can help with the specific device I'd do it, but I'm really not an xt926/5 expert. Still, if you've got msm8960 questions (so: device-specific, not general philz touch) ask them here about the device and recovery since odds are better you'll get an answer here than in the main thread. I'll try to update this with latest builds each week.

Disclaimer: The usual stuff you read in all of these threads. If your mind turns into margarine after installation, please send a sample to the CDC labs in Virginia. I searched all over XDA for a thread for philz for the msm8960 but didn't find it. If you do, feel free to destroy this thread, call me names, threaten my relatives (please do this), etc.

Credits: I think all credit should go to Phil, @Orphee and the CM11 guys if you like this type of recovery.
    Hello,

I just built latest Philz Touch Recovery :

http://d-h.st/DCC

It is only for KitKat Bootloader

Enjoy :)
    I just built 6.58.7 with F2FS support : http://d-h.st/Lar
    yes, it fixes build issues with latest sources

I just built latest Philz Touch Recovery with F2FS support : http://d-h.st/3uo

Be carefull, I did not try it. It is untested.
    I bumped into something interesting:

I'm running Orphee's latest Philz build, and it still blacks out on me most of the time.
    However, I found a default gesture that works for me.

When you're in a blacked out Philz recovery, swipe left twice.
    Once will toggle your screen off, (even though it's already off), and the second time you'll see your screen pop on instantly. Check out the setting in the screenshot.

Thoughts? View attachment 2960277

I am updating sources to try to fix it
    Seems it is related to dim screen
    If you disable dim screen timer, it should fix it