[MOD] Unlock your native hotspot app

Search This thread

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
I have shifted my focus and will no longer support the mods in this thread, please see http://xdaforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/themes-apps/app-gs5-native-hotspot-unlocker-t2980905 for my latest work to unlock your native hotspot. Thanks for testing these as they came up and all of your input.

**NOTE**
This has been tested by a few people in the original thread with success, your mileage may vary. As always, you are responsible for your phone, and it's warranty.

**PREREQUISITES**
1 Your phone must be rooted, I have followed the guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696537
2 You must have a custom recovery installed, I have used the one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697762

So here is the step by step:

1. Make a backup

2. Download the appropriate zip for you rom version. The three letter code in the filename should match the last three letters of your rom version. Odex version is for odexed roms, deodex version for deodexed roms.

3. Flash the zip and reboot.

Thanks to @Scolias for jumping on the zip creation so fast, and being the first one to test the modification (other than me)

**UPDATE***
For the original mod version:

If you update your PRL you will need to reflash and reboot:

Thanks for the heads up @Y.G.

**UPDATE 2***

Added Icon in Notification panel, Thanks @eyecon82 for providing the SQL data for Notification panel. Also added some SQL to try to enable bluetooth and usb tethering, let me know how they work. Download and flash version 1.2 for these updates.

***Update 3***

Since it has already been pulled into a DeOdex for our phone, and the same modification used on the s3 KitKat I figured I would post the services.jar files here too. You need to be on DeOdex for these to work, and note that the latest DeOdex available for our Sprint S5 from @sleshepic already has this built in. These are mostly just for reference, and so all the hotspot downloads are in one easy to find place.

ND2 Services.jar - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2714478&d=1398719510
NCB Services.jar - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2716739&d=1398822075

Rename the file to Services.jar for your baseband version, backup your old copy and put the new one in. Using the Services.jar survives PRL updates and does not require the usage of the previous mods.

If anyone needs it I can post the changes in the smali files here, its pretty simple though using grep in tethering.smali, it involves setting a var to 0x0 from 0x1, in the tethering.smali by the dun_required string.

***Update 4***
Big thanks to @rocket321 for helping me out with odexing. I have made a flashable zip that uses services.jar instead of modifying the APN. Flashing the new version will remove all APN modifications from the previous versions and install the new services,jar for odex or de-odex versions. Currently I have only built for ND2 roms, if there is any need for NCB let me know and I will work on it. New files attached below, just flash from recovery and tether :) . Enjoy and if this helps you please give thanks, and don't forget to thank @rocket321 as well.

Anybody making ROMs feel free to incorporate the files below, otherwise they should be able to be flashed right on top of the rom, assuming there are no modifications to the services.jar file in the desired ROM..

***Update 5***
Added NCB zips, built jars and odexes using my new tool modStudio

***Update 6***
Added NE5 versions to downloads, big thanks to @crawrj and @townsenk for making them

***Update 7***
Added NI3 versions, need testing the size of the ODEX package has shrunk and I am not sure why. Please let me know if you guys notice anything weird, so far so good for me but YMMV. Added back new dynamic way of adding to the notification panel, again let me know how this works out.

***Update 8***
Added new NI3 versions for testing, make a backup before testing JIC

***Update 9***
Cleaned up OP a little

Attachments

• unlockHotspot.zip
    396.5 KB · Views: 4,717
  • unlockHotspot-1.2.zip
    396.8 KB · Views: 15,649
  • unlockHotspot-1.3-ND2-DEODEX.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,142
  • unlockHotspot-1.3-ND2-ODEX.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 1,774
  • unlockHotspot-1.3-NCB-DEODEX.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 783
  • unlockHotspot-1.3-NCB-ODEX.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 1,231
  • unlockHotspot-1.4-NE5-DEODEX.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 2,111
  • unlockHotspot-1.4-NE5-ODEX.zip
    7 MB · Views: 3,834
  • unlockHotspot-1.5-NI3-ODEX.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 966
  • unlockHotspot-1.5-NI3-DEODEX.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 839
  • unlockHotspot-1.6-NI3-DEODEX.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,818
  • unlockHotspot-1.6-NI3-ODEX.zip
    7 MB · Views: 5,755
Last edited:
YES!!!!!!

Great work man!!!! Just flashed on my Sprint galaxy S5 works great Tested the wifi tether on a couple tablets, my computer, and my google TV. Getting great speed on all devices, even while streaming a movie. Appreciate all the hard work!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
@miked63017 for the Moto x native hotspot could be allowed by an xposed module. Is it possible to incorporate the settings changed by your flashable zip into an xposed module?

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

Prl update

@miked63017 Just a heads up. If you update the profile or PRL, the hotspot mod is overwritten and you have to flash it again to unlock it.

Sprint will sometimes push a PRL update in the background if there are issues on a cell tower caused by your phone dropping and blocking a connection to quickly. So if you notice the hotspot not working, I would just re-flash the hotspot mod. Just in case sprint did a PRL update in the background with out you knowing,

Reactions: Y.G.

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
@miked63017 for the Moto x native hotspot could be allowed by an xposed module. Is it possible to incorporate the settings changed by your flashable zip into an xposed module?

I am sure it could, but I have never worked with xposed. If anyone has please feel free to include this in a module, but I think we need to get an apk modded for it to work, not just a sqlite hack. What is the status of exposed on the s5 anyway?

Reactions: K-Mack

mobgod

Jul 7, 2010
ok i did flash this hotspot in twrp also but i don't see a icon or anything to start it is this normal?

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX

That module actually works on the S5 if you use SQLite editor to add the build.prop edit to a file outside of the build.prop (since for some reason, the line was moved).
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/themes-apps/xposed-moto-x-4-4-tether-apk-t2601859
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/how-to-tether-blocking-fix-t2544487

What is the status of exposed on the s5 anyway?

Xposed works just fine, but breaks S Health. I've read it's being looked into.

mobgod

Jul 7, 2010
Ok update got it working anyway to add it to my panel now? ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Is there a way to get that volume boosting mod on the s4 to work on the s5 or one for the s5 question?

I took a quick peek at the volume mod for the s4 and I don't think we can do it the same way. Thats not saying it can't be done but...

Also, you might want to post this as a question in the Q/A section, it will get more attention there since this thread is related to the hotspot not many people will look here for ideas regarding audio mods.

Reactions: mystahsouljahboy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have shifted my focus and will no longer support the mods in this thread, please see http://xdaforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/themes-apps/app-gs5-native-hotspot-unlocker-t2980905 for my latest work to unlock your native hotspot. Thanks for testing these as they came up and all of your input.

**NOTE**
    This has been tested by a few people in the original thread with success, your mileage may vary. As always, you are responsible for your phone, and it's warranty.

**PREREQUISITES**
    1 Your phone must be rooted, I have followed the guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696537
    2 You must have a custom recovery installed, I have used the one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697762

So here is the step by step:

1. Make a backup

2. Download the appropriate zip for you rom version. The three letter code in the filename should match the last three letters of your rom version. Odex version is for odexed roms, deodex version for deodexed roms.

3. Flash the zip and reboot.

Thanks to @Scolias for jumping on the zip creation so fast, and being the first one to test the modification (other than me)

**UPDATE***
    For the original mod version:

If you update your PRL you will need to reflash and reboot:

Thanks for the heads up @Y.G.

**UPDATE 2***

Added Icon in Notification panel, Thanks @eyecon82 for providing the SQL data for Notification panel. Also added some SQL to try to enable bluetooth and usb tethering, let me know how they work. Download and flash version 1.2 for these updates.

***Update 3***

Since it has already been pulled into a DeOdex for our phone, and the same modification used on the s3 KitKat I figured I would post the services.jar files here too. You need to be on DeOdex for these to work, and note that the latest DeOdex available for our Sprint S5 from @sleshepic already has this built in. These are mostly just for reference, and so all the hotspot downloads are in one easy to find place.

ND2 Services.jar - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2714478&d=1398719510
    NCB Services.jar - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2716739&d=1398822075

Rename the file to Services.jar for your baseband version, backup your old copy and put the new one in. Using the Services.jar survives PRL updates and does not require the usage of the previous mods.

If anyone needs it I can post the changes in the smali files here, its pretty simple though using grep in tethering.smali, it involves setting a var to 0x0 from 0x1, in the tethering.smali by the dun_required string.

***Update 4***
    Big thanks to @rocket321 for helping me out with odexing. I have made a flashable zip that uses services.jar instead of modifying the APN. Flashing the new version will remove all APN modifications from the previous versions and install the new services,jar for odex or de-odex versions. Currently I have only built for ND2 roms, if there is any need for NCB let me know and I will work on it. New files attached below, just flash from recovery and tether :) . Enjoy and if this helps you please give thanks, and don't forget to thank @rocket321 as well.

Anybody making ROMs feel free to incorporate the files below, otherwise they should be able to be flashed right on top of the rom, assuming there are no modifications to the services.jar file in the desired ROM..

***Update 5***
    Added NCB zips, built jars and odexes using my new tool modStudio

***Update 6***
    Added NE5 versions to downloads, big thanks to @crawrj and @townsenk for making them

***Update 7***
    Added NI3 versions, need testing the size of the ODEX package has shrunk and I am not sure why. Please let me know if you guys notice anything weird, so far so good for me but YMMV. Added back new dynamic way of adding to the notification panel, again let me know how this works out.

***Update 8***
    Added new NI3 versions for testing, make a backup before testing JIC

***Update 9***
    Cleaned up OP a little

Working on something new, should be out in the next week or so and should work on all variants even nkd. The only caveat is that the first version will be for Sprint only. I have been poking around for a while and I think most people problems with the carriers knowing they are tethering is related to iptables counters, this new project should be able to address that too. I have some other plans for it, but the first version will be basic and I will await feedback before putting more time into it.

The NKD lollipop release is what spurred this new project, decompiling art is a lot different. And while it can be done I feel that alot of the hotspot mods around for different models may be overcomplicating things, including my own. Sorry for being unresponsive but know that I am working on something and it should be released soon.
    Confirmed working on my Sprint S 5, Flashed zip in TWRP with success.

Can I get a quick step-by-step tutorial on this please? :D

Step 1. Download the correct zip.
    Step 2. Extract (7 zip or winrar are popular tools) services.jar and services.odex (if needed) from system/framework.
    Step 3. Copy to your phone and make sure the permissions are rw-r-r (644)
    Step 4. backup your existing service.jar and if odex, service.odex files
    Step 5. replace the existing service.jar/odex files with the extracted ones
    Step 6. reboot.

You must be rooted, but if you don't have recovery and want to keep your knox 0x0, then this should work. No grantees, no warranty, but it worked for me.

Good luck

Bob
    How do I tell if I use deodex or odex?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pure stock needs odex, any rom labelled as deodexed would use deodexed

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app