Thanks Meter: 4,831

Post Reply Email Thread
21st July 2019, 09:49 AM |#13601  
Flag Sliedrecht
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_at

That is what I did, ads are gone, but ad window anyway opens. So I see a black screen instead of the ad for example.

With adaway I never see any kind of ad window. That is why I asked.

That will only depend on how the ads are incorporated into the webpage/application.
If there is only (add add here) than nothing will be displayed (or some text noting the adserver is not responding)
If the ad is specified with (open window on top, size x, y; fill with ad from server) it will still open that window before reaching the conclusion that the server does not respond...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
21st July 2019, 12:10 PM |#13602  
Flag Innsbruck
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomer68

That will only depend on how the ads are incorporated into the webpage/application.
If there is only (add add here) than nothing will be displayed (or some text noting the adserver is not responding)
If the ad is specified with (open window on top, size x, y; fill with ad from server) it will still open that window before reaching the conclusion that the server does not respond...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

I have impression that adaway works for whatever reason much better than blokada or DNS66. Never see any ads or open windows with adaway on my phone.

That is why I asked if there is a way to block ads via phone on my car radio ...
21st July 2019, 04:04 PM |#13603  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Recently i updated my ROM and Adaway didn't seem to be blocking any ads. and got an error about "No space left". I went with using a symlink to /data/data/hosts but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

I then tried enabling systemless hosts in Magisk and can see the module there and rebooted. In Adaway i've got the target set to /system/etc/hosts. When i look in a file explorer /system/etc/hosts still seems to be symlinked to /data/data/hosts.

Also, when i try to enable the systemless hosts setting in Adaway it doesn't seem to enable. I get a message about it being allowed superuser rights but nothing changes.

I still have ads showing. Any ideas about if i've got something wrong and how to fix it?
21st July 2019, 04:28 PM |#13604  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,350

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikp16

Recently i updated my ROM and Adaway didn't seem to be blocking any ads. and got an error about "No space left". I went with using a symlink to /data/data/hosts but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

I then tried enabling systemless hosts in Magisk and can see the module there and rebooted. In Adaway i've got the target set to /system/etc/hosts. When i look in a file explorer /system/etc/hosts still seems to be symlinked to /data/data/hosts.

Also, when i try to enable the systemless hosts setting in Adaway it doesn't seem to enable. I get a message about it being allowed superuser rights but nothing changes.

I still have ads showing. Any ideas about if i've got something wrong and how to fix it?

Try deleting and re-installing AdAway. Hopefully that'll remove the symlink. (That symlink option should probably be removed).
Our you can do a dirty flash of your ROM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
21st July 2019, 04:32 PM |#13605  
Thanks Meter: 370

More
Quote:

You didn't perform a backup before you updated your rom tho?

(9//9)
21st July 2019, 08:45 PM |#13606  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Try deleting and re-installing AdAway. Hopefully that'll remove the symlink. (That symlink option should probably be removed).
Our you can do a dirty flash of your ROM

Tried both. No matter what i do, i still get ads. I have the following on my Oneplus 6t running the latest rom:
- magisk 19.3
- systemless hosts module enabled
- symlink of /system/etc/hosts -> /data/data/hosts (this seems to be from the module rather than due to adaway)
- Adaway 4.2.6 installed
- cannot enable the Systemless hosts checkbox in Adaway, every time i try i just get a toast notification about Magisk granting Adaway permissions and then nothing else
- target hosts file set to /system/etc/hosts

Using a file manager i can see that /data/data/hosts has a bunch of entries but this doesn't seem to be picked up. Can see ads in Chrome, Firefox and apps where i wasn't seeing them before.
21st July 2019, 10:25 PM |#13607  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,350

More
Quote:

Tried both. No matter what i do, i still get ads. I have the following on my Oneplus 6t running the latest rom:
- magisk 19.3
- symlink of /system/etc/hosts -> /data/data/hosts (this seems to be from the module rather than due to adaway)
- Adaway 4.2.6 installed
- cannot enable the Systemless hosts checkbox in Adaway, every time i try i just get a toast notification about Magisk granting Adaway permissions and then nothing else

Using a file manager i can see that /data/data/hosts has a bunch of entries but this doesn't seem to be picked up. Can see ads in Chrome, Firefox and apps where i wasn't seeing them before.

Dirty flash the ROM
21st July 2019, 10:53 PM |#13608  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Dirty flash the ROM

I have. A few times since. And also uninstalled and reinstalled Adaway. But it made no difference.

If I disable the systemless hosts module then I get the old hosts file back but then when enabling Adaway I get the message about no space left on the system partition.
22nd July 2019, 01:53 AM |#13609  
Thanks Meter: 748

More
Quote:

- magisk 19.3
- Adaway 4.2.6 installed

Quote:

I have. A few times since. And also uninstalled and reinstalled Adaway. But it made no difference.

If I disable the systemless hosts module then I get the old hosts file back but then when enabling Adaway I get the message about no space left on the system partition.

What module is setting that symlink?

Unless there is a reason for it, that symlink should not exist.
To remove it manually, boot into recovery (TWRP), mount system and delete /data/data/hosts

Warning! You need at least a stock hosts file in system/etc/ .

My guess, your fighting another issue.

Sidenote:
Odd as it sounds, AdAway seems to fail when my Magisk install was or became broken.
Other apps and modules may work or at least seem to work fine but, if AdAway gave me problems, most of the time it was magisk. (Probably due to the changes in magisk.)
A clean install of magisk normally fixed it.

PS.
I attached the hosts file from 6t (Beta 14) for reference and just incase you need a stock hosts file.
(It's the same as any other generic android hosts file.)
added .txt so I could attach it.

Out of curiosity, how much space is free in system?
(Most file explorers, an app like DiskInfo or df -ah from shell will show used and free space.)

I set the same symlink on my Nexus 6P and did a little testing.
I tried without and with systemless hosts enabled.
Forgot about the reboot step when not modifying the hosts file systemless. After a reboot it worked.

Remember, some apps/sites will save ads in a cache file for off-line use. If you block the ad server afterwards, you will need to clear the ad cache.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hosts.txt - [Click for QR Code] (56 Bytes, 44 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ipdev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ipdev Ad-Free
22nd July 2019, 02:38 AM |#13610  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,976

More
Quote:

Have you tried pinging one of the hosts blocked in your host file?

If it is getting through, the next thing I would research is what DNS server is really being used. I had issues where hosts were not being blocked while on mobile data, but were over WiFi. I checked, and the DNS server was different under Mobile data. Once I changed that, all ads were blocked under both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
22nd July 2019, 07:47 PM |#13611  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

What module is setting that symlink?

Unless there is a reason for it, that symlink should not exist.
To remove it manually, boot into recovery (TWRP), mount system and delete /data/data/hosts

Warning! You need at least a stock hosts file in system/etc/ .

My guess, your fighting another issue.

Sidenote:
Odd as it sounds, AdAway seems to fail when my Magisk install was or became broken.
Other apps and modules may work or at least seem to work fine but, if AdAway gave me problems, most of the time it was magisk. (Probably due to the changes in magisk.)
A clean install of magisk normally fixed it.

PS.
I attached the hosts file from 6t (Beta 14) for reference and just incase you need a stock hosts file.
(It's the same as any other generic android hosts file.)
added .txt so I could attach it.

Out of curiosity, how much space is free in system?
(Most file explorers, an app like DiskInfo or df -ah from shell will show used and free space.)

I set the same symlink on my Nexus 6P and did a little testing.
I tried without and with systemless hosts enabled.
Forgot about the reboot step when not modifying the hosts file systemless. After a reboot it worked.

Remember, some apps/sites will save ads in a cache file for off-line use. If you block the ad server afterwards, you will need to clear the ad cache.

Thanks for the help and hosts file! So the issue is that the /system partition is full after the recent update for the OP6T. Seems to be affecting other users as well: https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...ition-t3865724

Sorry for bugging the Adaway thread about this!
The Following User Says Thank You to pratikp16 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pratikp16 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)