Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Search This thread

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Man all this to install a preview: download and install VirtualBox, download and install Ubuntu 12 virtual image, then download and install android sdk/adb

That's not part of the install technically. Even though the actual install is stupid.. They seriously should have wrote an app that downloaded the images directly to the phone.. I was |-| that close to calling the whole thing off when I saw it adb pushing a 513mb img to the phone.. Seriously, 10 completely unnecessary minutes that could have been avoided by downloading the stuff directly to the phone instead.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Man all this to install a preview: download and install VirtualBox, download and install Ubuntu 12 virtual image, then download and install android sdk/adb
The dev preview is mainly for developers.. and it is expected that you have a Ubuntu installation for development.

I happened to have a media computer with Lubuntu on it :)

Edit: You can probably use LiveCD too.

Some browser statistics:
SunSpider gets 2607.5ms with the Browser on this dev preview
HTML 5 test gets 386 +16 points
Acid3 scores 100/100 (but the text at the top-left saying "YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS AT ALL" is visible... lol)

Last edited:

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
The dev preview is mainly for developers.. and it is expected that you have a Ubuntu installation for development.

I happened to have a media computer with Lubuntu on it :)

Edit: You can probably use LiveCD too.

Some browser statistics:
SunSpider gets 2607.5ms with the Browser on this dev preview
HTML 5 test gets 386 +16 points
Acid3 scores 100/100 (but the text at the top-right saying "YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS AT ALL" is visible... lol)

They definitely have their work cut out for them over the rest of the year.. I seriously hope they relax on the god darn swiping.. I should not feel like I'm playing fruit ninja operating a phone/tablet.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
They definitely have their work cut out for them over the rest of the year.. I seriously hope they relax on the god darn swiping.. I should not feel like I'm playing fruit ninja operating a phone/tablet.
Yeah even I didn't find the swiping too "comfortable", idk though lol. Hopefully they release a consumer preview that's a bit better :)

Also I pushed the power button to sleep the device and I tried waking, and it didn't wake. Hmm.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Its nice in the nexus 10 ... A lil buggy but nice

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

horatiob

Jul 21, 2009
how is this a developers preview... you can do anything... just look around.... WOW

Last edited:

aaron.thake

Aug 31, 2010
Yeah, I also like the look and feel. I like the notification drop down the most.

Yeah :) I agree, I reckon this has got real legs... it runs real smooth for me, only had trouble with waking after pressing power to sleep. (Bored with windows, Android sweet for mobile, this as an alternative OS with loads and loads of software.. looks good to me) :)

niv3d

Oct 15, 2010
Winter Haven
Did any of you flash the .zip and get it to work? I flashed with TWRP and it hung at a black screen after the google splash screen...

govee

Jul 25, 2010
inn ffeenger

I flashed with TWRP and it loaded fine. I was able to take picture and log into my wireless. GMail, Facebook, and Twitter worked. Twitter would not bring up the keyboard when attempting to post. Media player crashes and forces you back to the login screen. The UI does look really nice and feels pretty good. I was going to play some more then test going back to restored 4.2.2 file to see how that goes.

govee

Jul 25, 2010
Restoring with TWRP worked like normal. I can see this becoming a daily driver. :good:

Dannyada1988

Feb 20, 2013

When it finally is available you should be able to download it and find the instructions here: I had a hell of a time trying to find that page.

Sent from my GT-N7100

The link is the direct guide for installing the Ubuntu for Google Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, and Thanks.But it is for developer, I just want to wait for the finished version.

byte9

Oct 17, 2012
Typical

Ubuntu isn't for the feint of heart as far as power usage so we'll see how it works on the tablet. It's new so it garnishes attention.. ongoing I don't see it.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
The most striking this is how underwelming the preview is on a functional scale yet the stupid thing is a 500+MB install. Bloatbuntu is living up to its name. By the time the thing is finished it stands a chance of being over a 1GB install base.

Last edited:

domsch1988

Mar 6, 2011
Köln
I thought i would give you my first impressions to:

I installed the preview yesterday at around 18:00. luckily my Latop is still running mint, so no problem there. Also the instructins are pretty straight forward, so everyone who has seen a terminal should be abe to flash this. Although this wouldn't be needed as this hole thing could be made flashable via recovery (me thinks that this is to give it a "developer" touch ;)).
The first thing i noted after booting, was that there is no setup process. I expected basic functionality and wome things broken. But having no possibility to create a own user is a bummer... (for anyone interested: the PW for the other users are their first names)
The next thing is the laggyness. But that was to be expected. So wait and see for this one.

The notification bar is ridiculus. Not the idea itself. I like the possibility to access different settings directly. But the icons are simply to small. I tried to get to the battery options and opend mail... and so on. But wait there is more: When in the Browser for eample, the Browser runs fullscreen. So you pretty much have to guess where your mail icon would be to swipe them down. This is a clear fail in the concept.

The apps... yeah cannonical said that they were html5. But even the own Ubuntu One app is only a webpage. You are even able to zoom. In a pretended "app". The Mediaplayer is nothing more than a black image? GMail as described with Ubuntu One. Facebook is only a mobile version of their site and so on. I think html5 is a great opportunity to open development to the masses. But in the current for my aosp browser is more usefull then these so called "apps"

The Homescreen. This reminds me a bit of the Kindle Fire. Much space wasted with things i don't want to see. Music recommendations Book recommendations... in the end its a big space for advertising.

The Gestures: the idea is nice. Although not as good implemented as Win8 (hate to say that) but on the right way. This needs some tweaking and rethinking in some concerns but the general concept works. At least for me.

Summary: Another OS that tries to be different just to be different. I like the overall look of Ubuntu and i am a big fan of their Desktop Experience. But this thing in the surrent state is not much more than a poerpoint presentation of what this might look like. Granted this is for dev use to see how their apps integrate into the new system. But some Basic functionality would have been nice.
I will follow the development closely and see what we get here.

I expected a more "productive" system. They are advertising this for "business use" and don't deliver any functionality that supports this. My Tablet is more Powerful than my Laptop and i finally want to use it for more than just browsing the web and consuming videos...
It hurts to say, but for me right now Windows 8 Pro is the best tablet alternative out there. I'm just waiting for full Ubuntu to arrive on the N10.

One last not here: The Powerdraw is ridiculuss. this thing draw 84% Battery over night (6 hours) idleing...

I hope someone finds this usefull. I just wanted to write this because of my slight frustration. So take it or leave it. Feal free to comment or correct me where i might be wrong.

domsch
(I'm not a native speaker, so forgive any mistakes i might have done...)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought i would give you my first impressions to:

I installed the preview yesterday at around 18:00. luckily my Latop is still running mint, so no problem there. Also the instructins are pretty straight forward, so everyone who has seen a terminal should be abe to flash this. Although this wouldn't be needed as this hole thing could be made flashable via recovery (me thinks that this is to give it a "developer" touch ;)).
    The first thing i noted after booting, was that there is no setup process. I expected basic functionality and wome things broken. But having no possibility to create a own user is a bummer... (for anyone interested: the PW for the other users are their first names)
    The next thing is the laggyness. But that was to be expected. So wait and see for this one.

The notification bar is ridiculus. Not the idea itself. I like the possibility to access different settings directly. But the icons are simply to small. I tried to get to the battery options and opend mail... and so on. But wait there is more: When in the Browser for eample, the Browser runs fullscreen. So you pretty much have to guess where your mail icon would be to swipe them down. This is a clear fail in the concept.

The apps... yeah cannonical said that they were html5. But even the own Ubuntu One app is only a webpage. You are even able to zoom. In a pretended "app". The Mediaplayer is nothing more than a black image? GMail as described with Ubuntu One. Facebook is only a mobile version of their site and so on. I think html5 is a great opportunity to open development to the masses. But in the current for my aosp browser is more usefull then these so called "apps"

The Homescreen. This reminds me a bit of the Kindle Fire. Much space wasted with things i don't want to see. Music recommendations Book recommendations... in the end its a big space for advertising.

The Gestures: the idea is nice. Although not as good implemented as Win8 (hate to say that) but on the right way. This needs some tweaking and rethinking in some concerns but the general concept works. At least for me.

Summary: Another OS that tries to be different just to be different. I like the overall look of Ubuntu and i am a big fan of their Desktop Experience. But this thing in the surrent state is not much more than a poerpoint presentation of what this might look like. Granted this is for dev use to see how their apps integrate into the new system. But some Basic functionality would have been nice.
    I will follow the development closely and see what we get here.

I expected a more "productive" system. They are advertising this for "business use" and don't deliver any functionality that supports this. My Tablet is more Powerful than my Laptop and i finally want to use it for more than just browsing the web and consuming videos...
    It hurts to say, but for me right now Windows 8 Pro is the best tablet alternative out there. I'm just waiting for full Ubuntu to arrive on the N10.

One last not here: The Powerdraw is ridiculuss. this thing draw 84% Battery over night (6 hours) idleing...

I hope someone finds this usefull. I just wanted to write this because of my slight frustration. So take it or leave it. Feal free to comment or correct me where i might be wrong.

domsch
    (I'm not a native speaker, so forgive any mistakes i might have done...)
    When it finally is available you should be able to download it and find the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess. I had a hell of a time trying to find that page.

Sent from my GT-N7100
    Loving this. You know they're turning this loose for the imaginative dev/hacker community to get great ideas for a full release on their own devices. It will benefit all in the long run. Google better embrace this as the future, I hope.

It's great seeing this kind of development, but I'm not yet clear that it's something that would help Google or necessarily benefit the majority of the user community...at least not in the near term. Google's been working hard at gaining market acceptance for Android, and a significant component of this will likely be, increasingly, the availability of Android as an internally consistent ecosystem that spans phone and tablets. Ubuntu is pushing the same idea, i.e., a single ecosystem that encompasses phones, tablets and PC's -- and that's great. But unless there's interoperability between OS's, it may be a while before the consumer market is ready to embrace yet another mobile OS in a big way, as appealing as Ubuntu may be.

My Android phone (Galaxy Nexus) and tablets (N10 and N7) work so well together these days that I really wouldn't want to replace any of them with a device running an OS and aps that didn't "connect" with my other devices as well and seamlessly as they all work together now. I'm also not about to replace all 3 devices right away, and start fresh finding apps that mimic the functionality of the 100+ Android apps that I have installed.

Android and Ubuntu are both based on Linux at the lowest levels, so they can take advantage of common hardware drivers. But at the app level, they're based on different languages and runtime systems - so far. At the moment, Android apps can't run on Ubuntu in any kind of native mode and vice versa. While Google is working to gain broad acceptance of Android, what incentive would they have to throw another OS in the mix at this stage of the game?
    Dual boot is mandatory for me to do this

agreed. dual boot or no go!