[Q] MHL adapter that charges XZU

Search This thread

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Is there a MHL adapter which charges the XZU? I have tried two different adapters so far and both will output to the HDMI monitor but will not charge my XZU. I am connecting the MHL adapter to an USB power charger which provides 2A. If not, I may go the route of buying a DK30 and taking it apart to use the magnetic charging.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Be aware that there are two types of MHL adapters. 11 pin and 5 pin. The Ultra supports 5 pin, and only Samsung devices supports 11 as far as I know. I have a cheap 5 pin from Ebay and it charges the Ultra when it's connected. That's the point of the whole "plug in your charger". That's only MHL 1.0 or 2.0 though, and I belive 3.0 which is pretty much all new this year supports direct plugging, and you won't need to plug a charger in to use it. That's either 2.0 or 3.0, I'm not sure. I belive the Z1 supports 2.0/3.0, but I'm not sure about the Ultra.

Yes, this is a messy post, but that happens when I'm trying to remember something I read once 6 months ago :p

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nOrbX187

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Thanks LordManhattan. I know about the 5-pin and 11-pin compatibility. I believe the 11-pin MHL won't work at all on 5-pin devices (at least when I tried one that included the adapter). It's good to know the one you have will charge the XZU. Maybe I'm just having bad luck in choosing MHL adapters and getting ones that do not charge. For the two MHL adapters I tried, both needed the charger to display the picture on the monitor but, as mentioned, does not charge the phone itself. I also checked under settings and power management and the phone reports "discharging". Hopefully, third times a charm.

ronald_loulan

Apr 14, 2010
Thanks LordManhattan. I know about the 5-pin and 11-pin compatibility. I believe the 11-pin MHL won't work at all on 5-pin devices (at least when I tried one that included the adapter). It's good to know the one you have will charge the XZU. Maybe I'm just having bad luck in choosing MHL adapters and getting ones that do not charge. For the two MHL adapters I tried, both needed the charger to display the picture on the monitor but, as mentioned, does not charge the phone itself. I also checked under settings and power management and the phone reports "discharging". Hopefully, third times a charm.

I have this 5pins MHL + 11pin convertor..
Mine is charging my ZU while playing movie on my plasma tv of course with a 2A charger too...
11pins doesnt display anything on my tv...

Last edited:

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Yeah, the 11-pin adapter is for Samsung devices. I finally found one which outputs to HDMI and also charges my phone. Was the third MHL adapter I bought.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Be aware that there are two types of MHL adapters. 11 pin and 5 pin. The Ultra supports 5 pin, and only Samsung devices supports 11 as far as I know. I have a cheap 5 pin from Ebay and it charges the Ultra when it's connected. That's the point of the whole "plug in your charger". That's only MHL 1.0 or 2.0 though, and I belive 3.0 which is pretty much all new this year supports direct plugging, and you won't need to plug a charger in to use it. That's either 2.0 or 3.0, I'm not sure. I belive the Z1 supports 2.0/3.0, but I'm not sure about the Ultra.

Yes, this is a messy post, but that happens when I'm trying to remember something I read once 6 months ago :p

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk