Android (Working... well kinda... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
@Shub wouldn't a git repository fit our purose better? I assume it is easier to keep sync between a git and a git repo rather than between a svn and a git repo.

Shub-Niggurath

Oct 8, 2007
Kent
www.myspace.com
@Shub wouldn't a git repository fit our purose better? I assume it is easier to keep sync between a git and a git repo rather than between a svn and a git repo.
Yeah, you're probably right, its just that someone suggested the google repo and that its free. Theres a place for code and binary (well, downloads) so you could put up complete images. Turns out the google one isnt so easy to use anyhow, im having real difficulty uploading using their provided script. It wont authorise but it doesn't tell you until after its tried to upload the file (which takes quite a while on 488k up).

Were you thinking to sync with git.android.com? If thats the case then yeah, maybe we should go with the git. I was only going for somewhere to keep all the files together which ppl could upload to. Suppose even svn is a bit much for that!

RacerII

Jun 2, 2007
There is an update @ http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

Update(18/4/08): Radio now works for data. The latest zImage and initrd-android should let you use the browser and maps application(no keyboard yet though). You will need to put a username and password in default.txt depending on your provider (the ones there will work for Telecom NZ). The old files are here and here. The phone may say it has no network coverage but it should still work. To get the phone fully working we will need to write a ril library for it.

Last edited:

Raven_coda

Mar 15, 2005
@RacerII: That udpate does not work on the kaiser.... yet dzo is looking over some logs I sent him and should be able to get it to work on the Kaiser.

However, we need to stop the Kaiser from freezing whenever you open anything first otherwise this update is of no use to us :(

fhteagle

Jan 19, 2008
Apologies if this is duplicate info, but this thread is so long its getting hard to keep track of in my head (info to wiki / tracker?!?)

Looks like they have made a lot of progress over at the linwizard project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linwizard/

I know its a port for the omap processor instead of MSM, but there may be other common hardware / drivers with their part of the HTC family.

Also, the vogue guys are making progress too, as noted above. Any way to prevent duplication of effort with what they are doing / make their progress easier to fold into the kaiser dev line?* (Link again, for convenience: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/ )

Last but not least, ubuntu linux has a strategy where it wraps proprietary drivers for use with linux if opensource ones are not available. Wondering if we could use the same strategy to wrap original htc dlls for keyboard, screen, phone, sd card, etc?

Just some ideas, hoping to inspire someone who knows more than I about all of this... but its exciting stuff!

*While I'm getting more familiar with ubuntu/linux by the day, I'm still purposely remaining a bit ignorant about the whole svn/cvs/git process that does not directly result in a package...)

be_vigilant

Dec 23, 2006
Wakefield
when saving files drop the save as type box down and select *.* all files

This will then prevent explorer adding the .txt

(in opera anyhow)

zwierzak

Dec 17, 2007
There is an update @ http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

Update(18/4/08): Radio now works for data. The latest zImage and initrd-android should let you use the browser and maps application(no keyboard yet though). You will need to put a username and password in default.txt depending on your provider (the ones there will work for Telecom NZ). The old files are here and here. The phone may say it has no network coverage but it should still work. To get the phone fully working we will need to write a ril library for it.

I thing that we can use our kernel (to get TS and keyboard) and their initrc-android to get working applications.

emonidi

Sep 4, 2006
What about Android for Prophet

Hey guys,

Maybe this is not the right place to ask this question, but I would like to ask you if this version has the chance to work on HTC Prophet? I have uploaded the files on my Prophet and it starts booting but in the moment it reads relocating kernel (or something like that) the screen goes white and its over. Does any has any idea if android can be redone in a way that will boot on Prophet?

I am sorry if I am asking a stupid question but I really do not know much about Linux. Any help or directions will be appreciated.

By the way congratulations for the advance you made on the android development.

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
prophet is a completely different device. It won't work with vogue/kaiser/titan etc images

jlor

Oct 5, 2007
Århus
Great work so far folks. This is partially just a "bump" to get it back to the front page ;-) But also, a few questions:

a) How likely is it that a radio will be made for this bunch of android files - so we can receive/place phone calls (is the software there for it yet by the way?)

b) Does anyone know if Google is actively creating Android for "our" architecture? Perhaps even for our device (different drivers for different hardware, or a single enormous kernel)?

I've not really been able to find anything specific on the Android page at code.google.com .

D

Deleted member 863777

A few things I don't get ...

I'm not much of a programmer, but have played with Linux now and then. The approach is, as far as I understand it, mostly source code based. Now I'm not quite sure about some aspects of the whole android issue, and I haven't been able to figure out these via their homepage.

- The android page at http://code.google.com/android/index.html focuses on building android applications. Is android therefore equivalent to a (PC Linux) window manager? If so, what is the kernel?
- where are the hardware level drivers and their source code base (PC Linux kernel modules)
- HaRET is just a loader, right? Again I'm thinking GRUB or LILO.
- I've been following this thread for some while now. It's all a bit slapping not quite matching parts together and seeing if they boot or not. This conflicts with the linux approach I have been experiencing as stated in my first paragraph.

Now what I've been thinking for the past days: wouldn't it be possible to write a fairly low level memory resident Windows CE program that just protocols the startup sequence, keypresses, taps and such and their respective hardware adresses, interrupts and what ever comes into it in the mobile world. Then this information could be used to correctly address the hardware with a custom built android kernel for the kaiser without having to patch existing binary code.

Robert

dubbeld00

Mar 8, 2008
- The android page at http://code.google.com/android/index.html focuses on building android applications. Is android therefore equivalent to a (PC Linux) window manager? If so, what is the kernel?
- HaRET is just a loader, right? Again I'm thinking GRUB or LILO.

- The page http://git.android.com/ is all about Android itself, based on Linux 2.6.25 (see: Kernel
- First hit google: It is a Linux bootloader which works from Windows CE environment (a-la loadlin for DOS or older Linexec tool for Windows CE)

arnouf

Apr 21, 2008
Hello,

I tried to install haret and zImage (as desribed in these posts).
The image is loaded but I get a white screen after image loading.

I use a Qtek9100 (european version).

Can I give you more information with a log file or something like this?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.