[REF] Working SD Cards List

Search This thread

Thresher

Aug 9, 2006
Can someone clarify how you are using the following terms as it seems to be different than how it has been used in the past:
soft reset (how is it performed)
hard reset (how is it performed)

In my understanding, if the phone resets itself to stock, it is considered a hard reset. It doesn't matter if the internal reset was used or the physical buttons. A soft reset is normally considered a non-data loss activity to simply reset the phone startup services, etc. (Powering off and on).

Anyway, my phone works fine on some 4 year old microsd card.

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
Can someone clarify how you are using the following terms as it seems to be different than how it has been used in the past:
soft reset (how is it performed)
hard reset (how is it performed)

In my understanding, if the phone resets itself to stock, it is considered a hard reset. It doesn't matter if the internal reset was used or the physical buttons. A soft reset is normally considered a non-data loss activity to simply reset the phone startup services, etc. (Powering off and on).

Anyway, my phone works fine on some 4 year old microsd card.

I didn't bring my laptop with me to work today, so I have yet to do too much with my phone other than installing some apps, but it's been my understanding that a hard reset involves holding down the power button, volume down, and camera button. A soft reset is by holding down the power button and or going through the phone menu to do a power down. Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.

rexian

Oct 22, 2006
The 16GB class 6 A-Data card listed on the first page as "not working", is it this? I was planning to get this later when I get the Focus.

ryotgz

Dec 15, 2007
www.totalgamerz.com
I guess I'll have to see how fast I fill up my phone. At least my 4GB card works to give me some extra breathing room. But I would love to have my 16GB work. I hope the fix comes before the "early 2011" update.

markgamber

Apr 1, 2005
FYI, I'm using a couple years old class 2 8 GB Sandisk card and it appears to be working just fine. I noticed no speed difference between the before and after. At least not yet.

Thresher

Aug 9, 2006
Can someone clarify how you are using the following terms:
soft reset
hard reset

A soft reset is by holding down the power button and or going through the phone menu to do a power down.

Soft Reset: Samsung Focus will be powered down, all settings, apps and data are saved.
Method 1: Hold Down Power Button (Goodbye!)
Hard Reset: Samsung Focus will be returned to its original state with full data wipe.
Method 1: Hold down the Power button, volume down button, and camera button
Method 2: Go to the Start screen, select Settings. Select the About screen. Select 'reset your phone'

Sorry for the mini thread hijack all.

Last edited:

TheMarkness

Mar 5, 2010
Jackson, TN
SanDisk, and yep.. I followed the instructions, Format, etc etc. 20GB or so was available.. and everything was normal for 12 hours or so.. then.. BAM.. it started crashing,, and then all settings lost.. and space of course.. it was like it just became corrupted.

I wonder if the mircro sd was loose or something. or dirty contacts. dunno.. I may try it again tonight. or just buy a faster class card

Friends Focus just did this as well, 32gb SanDisk class 2 card he got from the ATT store worked great from 9am yesterday and bam tonight had it lock up and then restart to nothing along with the dreaded "15mb" storage under settings about phone. He shut it back off, removed the battery and reseated the sd card and now it's back up with everything but it's still not 100%. His contacts are all unlinked from his Google and facebook accounts so, I've gave up for now until a fix comes out along with a list of compatible sd cards. Nothing worse then going weeks only to have it fritz and reset everything, not worth it.

dcsmaniatico

Aug 19, 2008
Mad mad mad super mad

Dear microsoft:
SD cards where created to exchange mediaaaaaaa not for permanent use you A*&(holesssssssssss...............
CANT WAIT FOR SOME ONE TO HACK THE OS SO THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN......ALL THIS WAS SIMPLY AVOIDED.....
I have installed hundred of apps in my 6.5 windows phone in my microSD card and they run great....they just wanna
try to protect their apps but there are still gonna get hacked....

SORRY I AM JUST MAD........

I feel like I got a new limping phone.......the poor little fella wanna be cool but has a limp on his memory leg :(

Last edited:

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
Dear microsoft:
SD cards where created to exchange mediaaaaaaa not for permanent use you A*&(holesssssssssss...............
CANT WAIT FOR SOME ONE TO HACK THE OS SO THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN......ALL THIS WAS SIMPLY AVOIDED.....
I have installed hundred of apps in my 6.5 windows phone in my microSD card and they run great....they just wanna
try to protect their apps but there are still gonna get hacked....

SORRY I AM JUST MAD........

I feel like I got a new limping phone.......the poor little fella wanna be cool but has a limp on his memory leg :(

I'm sorry to hear if you feel misled in anyway about the product. It's a ****ty situation at the moment, but I have no doubt that it will be remedied soon enough. However, you could always return your phone if it's a dealbreaker for you, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
Class 6 Transcend 16GB card
The card in question:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

DOES NOT WORK
First recognizes it all, then after turning off/on cycle only recognizes the first 8 GB

I second this!!! :(

I will say this though. This is my first smart phone, and though the memory issues are frustrating, its not a deal breaker for me. I got the phone, brought it home,added memory, linked phone to my Windows Live and Zune accounts, installed as many apps as I could from my list in the 30 minutes I had, added music,pictures ,Xvid movies, went to work powered down and poof all was lost. HOWEVER... when I got home and opened Zune and plugged in phone, all my contacts, photos, apps, music, movies were put back on my phone automatically. Since I like to tinker, this atm is a wash for me. My hopes are by the time I've satisfied my current curiosities there will be a fix.

***Has anyone been able to use there MicroSD after phone formatted it? Mine is dead to everything but the phone after the phone formatted it.***

Last edited:

TheKenAnthony

Oct 22, 2010
Georgia
www.pgatour.com
Ok i got my phone ( Focus ) yesterday.. booted up and on at the store.. brought it home turned off.. pulled battery.. put in a Sandisk 16gb class 2 card.. put battery back in.. press power, camera and volume down at the same time.. when samsung showed up on screen and it vibrated i released power..a format screen shows up.. ( if a screen shows up that says downloading and wait 10 min.. just pull the battery and attempt again i had to do this about 4 or 5 times before i got the format screen to show up..) .. once it shows up you hit the windows button to format and phone restarted and said i had something like 22gb memory.. then i added a couple apps and songs and just to be safe and make sure.. i held down the power button until phone turned completely off and then powerd back up and boom all my data and stuff are STILL THERE!!! .. i have turned the phone off and on several times just to check and everything still works perfect.. after syncing everything and putting pics and music on phone im sitting at 20.30gb right now.. im hoping this will help someone i hate that people are having problems.. but i did mine this way and everything is just a ok!!...

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
Ok i got my phone ( Focus ) yesterday.. booted up and on at the store.. brought it home turned off.. pulled battery.. put in a Sandisk 16gb class 2 card.. put battery back in.. press power, camera and volume down at the same time.. when samsung showed up on screen and it vibrated i released power..a format screen shows up.. ( if a screen shows up that says downloading and wait 10 min.. just pull the battery and attempt again i had to do this about 4 or 5 times before i got the format screen to show up..) .. once it shows up you hit the windows button to format and phone restarted and said i had something like 22gb memory.. then i added a couple apps and songs and just to be safe and make sure.. i held down the power button until phone turned completely off and then powerd back up and boom all my data and stuff are STILL THERE!!! .. i have turned the phone off and on several times just to check and everything still works perfect.. after syncing everything and putting pics and music on phone im sitting at 20.30gb right now.. im hoping this will help someone i hate that people are having problems.. but i did mine this way and everything is just a ok!!...

Thanks for the info. It seems people are having the best luck with SanDisk cards

MHC48

Jun 26, 2007
NY-LI
Amazon is going to be very confused about the raft of Transcend 16 GB Class 6 micro sd cards it gets back within days after shipping them out.

I think I will wait a while before ordering something new. Before it crashed I was surprized at how little space was taken up by the mass of Zune music I synced to the phone. And I've flashed so many ROMs so many times on various HTC phones I've owned that restoring data to a Focus will be a cinch.

XeNoMoRpH1030

Apr 30, 2008
Virginia
To add to the list, my friend has a Focus and installed a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card. He says it is working after a soft reset. No settings/files have been lost.

TheKenAnthony

Oct 22, 2010
Georgia
www.pgatour.com
and just to add i wanted to make sure aboout everything.. i went and sync to zune on my desktop and transfered 388 songs and some pics and videos onto phone and phone storage showed up at 18gb on zune after sync so it all worked out great.. and after i unplugged phone and powered down and powered back up and STILL HAVE EVERYTHING... im using a 16gb class 2 sandisk...

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
To add to the list, my friend has a Focus and installed a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card. He says it is working after a soft reset. No settings/files have been lost.

I'll add it to the list since he's performed a soft reset and maintained his data. Just out of curiosity, do you know how long he's had it installed? It seems some people are finding that their storage remains intact after soft resets, but after a day or so their phones act up and require a factory restore. Doesn't seem to be widespread, but not necessarily something to look over either.

eknutson

Jan 26, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
I'll add it to the list since he's performed a soft reset and maintained his data. Just out of curiosity, do you know how long he's had it installed? It seems some people are finding that their storage remains intact after soft resets, but after a day or so their phones act up and require a factory restore. Doesn't seem to be widespread, but not necessarily something to look over either.

To that end, I'm at 48 hours w/out problems with my SandDisk 16 GB class 6 card (already in the list above). Don't know if you want to try and track that as well, but if you do, there's my info :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Approved Card Arrived

Ok, I just got my card from Samsung today. I was told I was going to receive a Windows Phone 7 certified card in the mail. Well, what I got was a Samsung Card. It does NOT say Windows Phone 7 Certified on the card. See Images.

Description:

Samsung
    16GB
    MicroSDHC
    Class 2

On Back:

CE
    MMB3R 16GUACA-GE
    I Y073F000 030
    Made in TAIWAN

I called to confirm this is in fact Phone 7 Certified, and they said YES, Definitely. I have not inserted it into my phone yet, since I wanted to Crystal Disk Mark it first.

I'll update THIS post with results when it's finished.

PS: These photos taken with Macro Mode on the Samsung Focus. :D Try reading the words on the back of your MicroSD and you will see how impressive this is. ;)

Crystal Disk Mark:

It's really strange. The specs are not that good. I wonder why this card is "Certified" and some of the faster cards are not. Seems wierd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 12.873 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 6.597 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 11.896 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 0.666 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.701 MB/s [ 659.4 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.029 MB/s [ 7.1 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.525 MB/s [ 616.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.028 MB/s [ 6.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [P: 0.0% (0.0/14.7 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2010/12/19 1:08:02
    I've been using a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 for about 2 months now with no adverse effects that I can see.Total storage after formatting etc. was 36.90GB, got about 18GB left. Mostly music, apps and games. (LOL, what else is there I guess!)
    Is there a 32 gb card that's confirmed to work?
    After I applied the AT&T Nodo update, my Sandisk 32gb c2 card from AT&T works perfectly. The unbranded Nodo update I tried prior to that still had issues.

Based on my past experiences with this card, I would say its officially works now. No freezing, rebooting, or stuttering.
    OK, using the CrystalDiskMark software, I tested two Sandisk 16 gig cards. One is the old class 2 card that I had been using in my Tilt2 for the past 3 months, the other is a class 4 from eBay that arrived today.

Here are my results from the Micro Center-branded 16GB microSD card:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 15.725 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 3.754 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 13.598 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 3.156 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 1.362 MB/s [ 332.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.441 MB/s [ 107.7 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.301 MB/s [ 317.7 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.478 MB/s [ 116.8 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [E: 0.0% (0.0/14.8 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2010/12/14 14:48:47

I'll put it in my Focus later.
    Kingston 16GB Class 4

So, I've been running the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card for a week and it's been rock solid. Just recently I went ahead and pushed a ton of content onto the phone for the sake of testing the stability of the phone once data started being written to the card. First note is that it seems the phone will write to a buffer when syncing. My guess from what I've seen is it's about 50MB. After that it starts writing directly to the card and that's when things SERIOUSLY slow down.

But it's not slower, it's simply SLOW. I know that I could write data to the card much faster than WP7, from my PC if it was hooked up directly. It shouldn't take ten minutes to write 65MB of data. This seems to be the case though. Pulling the data cord mid sync and reattaching it after a second seems to clear the buffer and allow another handful of songs to be written very quickly.

Even so, I haven't noticed any spontaneous reboots or slow behavior in the phone. I've played music that I suspect is on the first 8GB as well as music that I suspect is on the data card and it all plays smoothly. Where I have seen some slowdowns though would be when generating new content on the phone. For instance, making a quick HD video. To be honest, I didn't time it with and without the card, but I think without a doubt it is slower sometimes to get back to the live camera view after a video or picture is taken. I guess it depends on how long it takes the phone to write the data to the card.

So far though I think the tradeoffs are acceptable. I don't think I could live with random reboots or lost data, but some slight sluggishness in areas I use only seldom is OK.