[APP][2.2+] Super Download 1.5 - Wifi + Mobile, like Download Booster [2013-08-21]

Search This thread

elban

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
It's Xperia X8 running Custom Gingerbread ROM..I tried only in Stock Browser..I know my device won't be able to run both wifi and 3G altogether but at least it should be working if I use either one of them right?

Sent from my X8 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it should work with a single network as well. But why shouldn't it be able to use both?
About your issue, it's probably related to the fact that I did very little testing on gingerbread (read: none :)).

Reactions: myepicyear

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
new build:

- reworked interface
- fixed intent-filters (better compatibility for use in "share with")
- removed some debugging code
- added "about"

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
Yes it should work with a single network as well. But why shouldn't it be able to use both?
About your issue, it's probably related to the fact that I did very little testing on gingerbread (read: none :)).

Tested on froyo and gingerbread, via emulator, and the application starts as expected. There must be something preventing it from starting (permissions, maybe?). Anyway, see below for an alternative method.

no it doesnt, it just starts downloading right away in the status bar.

For those of you having problems with the application not triggering, try the "share with" method:
tap and hold on the link, click "share with", select Super Download.
Let me know if it works.

sandy_tea

Mar 23, 2011
Jakarta
Tested on froyo and gingerbread, via emulator, and the application starts as expected. There must be something preventing it from starting (permissions, maybe?). Anyway, see below for an alternative method.

For those of you having problems with the application not triggering, try the "share with" method:
tap and hold on the link, click "share with", select Super Download.
Let me know if it works.

Well I have tried that before posting and yet I didn't see SuperDownload at all when sharing the link..I have tried some downloader apps and all works..I'm really curious with yours..

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
Well I have tried that before posting and yet I didn't see SuperDownload at all when sharing the link..I have tried some downloader apps and all works..I'm really curious with yours..

Did you try "share with" with the latest version? There are some changes related to that issue.
Thanks for your testing :)

sandy_tea

Mar 23, 2011
Jakarta
Did you try "share with" with the latest version? There are some changes related to that issue.
Thanks for your testing :)

Wow..it's working now with the latest version..and very very fast indeed..thanks a lot for this great apps..

PS :It's great to have the remaining time visible but wouldn't it be much better if we also can see the remaining bytes or at least the percentage?

Reactions: elban

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
Wow..it's working now with the latest version..and very very fast indeed..thanks a lot for this great apps..

PS :It's great to have the remaining time visible but wouldn't it be much better if we also can see the remaining bytes or at least the percentage?

Thanks!
I just thought the progress bar was enough, but I can add any info, I just need to be careful to make it pretty and not overloaded.

ruffneckZeVo

Dec 26, 2010
Whiteoak,TX
This shows to work I mean it shows my 3g and WiFi on but speed is about the same but then again I'm lucky to get 25 k downloads on 3 g so wont be a big diff nice app tho if u have good 3g

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
This shows to work I mean it shows my 3g and WiFi on but speed is about the same but then again I'm lucky to get 25 k downloads on 3 g so wont be a big diff nice app tho if u have good 3g

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Thanks for the report.
You may still see better performance than with the stock download manager because of the simultaneous threads. It depends on the server, though. Try playing with the two switches in the preference dialog (more to come).

Reactions: ruffneckZeVo

sLy`

May 11, 2011
::1
Without any apps tweaks i get 1.8 mb/s wifi, and im about 10 m away from the modem. The limit is 2.2mb/s and considering 1.8 mb/s via wifi should be more than enough.

elban

Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
If there is nothing to report, I'm going to start working on the "multiple files" feature, which requires quite a bit of work. So, let me know.

kijp15

Sep 14, 2010
Hawai'i
This is not a report, but what browsers are supported for Super Download & how do I get "share with" tab? When I long press on a link I don't have that option. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: Some features require a rooted device.

SEE THE FAQ IN POST 2 (BELOW) IF YOU HAVE ISSUES

DESCRIPTION:
    Download web files much faster by using wifi and mobile data at the same time!
    Share or open a link from any program, like the web browser, and download it at speeds up to two times faster than usual.
    This is the only tool that can download using wifi and mobile data connection simultaneously*!

*In 2014, two years later, Samsung released the Galaxy S5 phone which incorporates a similar feature called "Download Booster".

IMPORTANT NOTES:
    - Using both networks together requires root access.
    - Since this program uses mobile data connection, by using it you may incur in additional charges from your network operator.
    - To unleash its full potential, this program needs good (and balanced) wifi and mobile reception/bandwidth.
    - Using both connections is not supported on all devices / rom combinations.
    - Some web servers may provide insufficient functionalities on the requested files.
    - Currently only http and https protocols are supported (no ftp or torrent yet)
    - The Lite version has a filesize limit of 50 megabytes.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR XDA DEVELOPERS:
    This program is free for xda users if downloaded from this thread, but is a paid application on play store. If you want to support the development, buy it from the market and get automatic updates.

USAGE:
    Just click on a link or open a remote file: if the file type is recognised by Super Download, it will start getting it.
    If this method doesn't work, try click-and-hold on the link, select "share with" and choose Super Download.
    Finally, you can copy and paste a url in the "add url" dialog.

There is a thread on Super Download and a youtube video here:

http://xdaforums.com/htc-one/themes...xy-s5s-download-booster-t2829885/post54435368

PLANNED FEATURES:
    - Multiple files together / download queue
    - Other ways of speeding up downloads

MARKET LINKS:
    - Full version: Super Download Full
    - Lite version: Super Download Lite
    ***** FAQ *****

1 - Q: It doesn't work!
    A: Please provide more information and possibly a logcat (main buffer, debug level).

2 - Q: The application doesn't trigger! Is my browser supported?
    A: Did you try both methods (read USAGE on post 1)? Some browser do not support the first method (mostrly third party browsers), some do not support the second (only ICS stock browser doesn't, AFAIK). If both methods do not work for you, please post your browser and rom names and versions in this thread, thanks!

3 - Q: It fails and now I can't download the file without unistalling your app! Now what?
    A: From SuperDownload, click on the download and select "send to default downloader": the android download app will start to download your file (not available on froyo). Or, some browsers support long-tap on a link and then "download". You can also install an additional download with different features, so android will ask you which one to use at download time.

4 - Q: When using both networks, mobile data stream gets interrupted often!
    A: Unfortunately, when using both network, the system enforces periodic disconnects on the mobile interface. There is no way to avoid them, but the app tries to mitigate its effect as much as possible.

5 - Q: How can I download from RapidShare (HotFile, etc.) with this application?
    A: Sites like rapidshare do not support multi threaded clients. They don't want you to have more than one active download at a time. So it would defeat the purpose of this application.
    It is possible that, with some tweaks specific to the site, and maybe the need of a premium account, it would work. That would need a lot of time to develop, though :-\

6 - Q: Sometimes I see "Dual networks" changing form "enabled" to "suspended", why?
    A: From version 0.4, Super Download tries to avoid using both networks together when one of the two is failing too often; this is to avoid slowing down the transfer when in bad mobile reception, for example. If you feel it is suspended too often or when it shouldn't, please report on this thread.

7 - Q: Does it work for downloading [put your favorite big file here]?
    A: It should work as long as it's a valid http or https url (no torrent (yet), for example) and the web server doesn't limit multiple connections.

8 - Q: Does it work on a tethered connection?
    A: I didn't try myself, but I got some reports that it works. The tethered connection works as if it were wifi, and you can add your mobile speed to it!

9 - Q: Why doesn't it work for downloading from the market/play store?
    Q: Why don't you just replace the default android downloader?
    A: The default downloader is not a "normal" application, it's a core part of the android system and libraries. Even if it was possible to take its place, it would be a compatibility nightmare, with all the os versions and different carrier/manufacturer customizations that are available.

10 - Q: Why can't you do the same system wide, for all the applications?
    A: That would need to modify android internals and probably every application that needs it. Currently Super Download merges the packages from the two connections at the application level and there is no simple way (that I know of) to do it differently.

11 - Q: On my Samsung with original firmware and touchwiz I can't see the download history, even though I'm on later than froyo!
    A: That's because samsung has taken their froyo downloader and put it on gb, ics and later, without updating the downloader api. You know, it's easier to make a customized program work on a new version of android rather than re-applying the changes to a newer version of the downloader...

12 - Q: Can you alter the app and allow it to do tethering also? I want to create a wifi network which combines two 3g networks and doubles the speed for the user.
    A: I'm sorry but Super Download can't do this. The problem is not just enabling the interfaces (you can get some clues on how to do this on this thread, without the need for SD altogether), but combining the packets from the two channels. As far as I know, this can easily be done only at the application level; what this means is that you would need to modify the programs you are using on the client in order to make it work. An exception would be the use of proxies: most networked applications already support this, so theoretically it's possible. But currently a bit off topic for this project, unless it can grow to a much bigger application than it is now. It is in my todo list for the future, nonetheless ;)

13 - Q: Did you copy/reverse engineer Samsung Download Booster?
    A: NO. It's the other way around. My app was out a lot earlier. Super Download is, infact, the first application of its kind.

14 - Q: How's your app different than Download Booster?
    A: Samsung's one is integrated into the rom, so it has a more low-level access to the protocol. This enables it to work on, for example, play store downloads, which Super Download can't. Still, none of the two can work on all the network traffic: they are both limited to the HTTP protocol and supported applications.
    Does it work for you guys?
    Is it actually faster than wifi only?

Please let me know :)
    @elban Any update coming buddy?

Sent from my Sony Xperia L (C2104) using Tapatalk 4 beta

Hello!
    I've worked on super download very little, recently. There is a little issue regarding free space detection which I have a fix for, but it isn't ready for release. As you know the next step is multiple concurrent downloads, which requires reworking most of the code, so I'm a bit scared about starting it ;)
    I had to make a new Grsync release and other works (not last taking care of my first son, the newborn Jacopo!) which kept me away from working on it.
    I tend to never abandon my projects as long as there is people using them, so don't worry, the new version will come! :)
    New version 1.4:

- moved temporary dir inside download dir, in order to avoid free space problems
    - added confirmation dialog for restarting partial downloads
    - added "send to system downloader" to finished downloads menu
    - added contextual color to the status text
    - added dual network check: will disable it when the two interfaces can't be detected (value reset when starting a new file)
    - added display of dual mode status
    - added error dialog on multiple download attempts
    - better interface detection logging: should help debugging phones which do not work properly
    - added support for some newer phones with different interface naming
    - fixed crash on devices not having a mobile interface
    - fixed random elapsed time on invalid url
    - made the initial window a bit nicer

Before releasing the app to the market, I'd like to get some feedbacks.
    I'm concerned about the automatic suspension of dual mode: does it work well or does it disable dual mode when it shouldn't?
    Please provide your experience.

Many thanks guys!