Safe ROM evolution path

Search This thread

abequer

Dec 24, 2013
Mexico City
Many of us love to install and test new ROMs on our devices. One of the things that I have suffered the most is how to know if my current ROM can be upgraded to a different one.

Lets use this thread to comment

I have already tested:

FROM ....................................... TO ............................................................................ Method
B125 (international) ..................... CyanogenMod 10.1 (surdu_petru) ....................... root + CWM + TWRP
CyanogenMod 10.1 ..................... B125 (international) ........................................... dload + 3-button autoinstall
B125 .......................................... [JB 2.2.2]HYD52ROM V2 (husen4u) .................. root + CWM + TWRP
[JB 2.2.2]HYD52ROM V2 ............ B125 (international) ........................................... dload + 3-button autoinstall
CyanogenMod 10.1 ..................... B120 (Chinese) ................................................. dload + 3-button autoinstall
B120 (Chinese) ........................... PAC-Man 4.2 Milestone 1 (surdu_petru)............... TWRP (as recovery image) + full wipe including /system
PAC-Man 4.2 Milestone 1............ B104 [KitKat] ..................................................... dload + 3 button with stock recovery from B125
B104 [KitKat] ............................. [KK] HYD52ROM V4 (husen4u) .......................... TWRP (as recovery image)
[KK] HYD52ROM V4 (husen4u) ... [KK] HYD52ROM V5 (husen4u) .......................... TWRP (full wipe)
[KK] HYD52ROM V5 (husen4u) ... [KK] HYD52ROM V6 (husen4u) .......................... TWRP (Dalvik wipe ONLY)
[KK] HYD52ROM V6 (husen4u) ... [KK] LightningKat RC02 (m!k3) ........................... TWRP (full wipe)
[KK] LightningKat RC02 (m!k3) .... [KK] HYD52ROM V7 (husen4u) .......................... TWRP (full wipe)

Special Instructions:

From
LightningKat RC02 to HYD52ROM V7 I had to flash stock B104 before installing HYD52ROM. The reason was that without this the ROM was not correctly rooted.

From B120 to PAC-Man I bricked my phone twice. To make it work I had to:
1) flash TWRP 3.1 into recovery with fastboot
2) use TWRP to wipe every filesystem/partition except external storage (wipe verified within an adb shell session using #df, every partition was completely empty)
3) use TWRP to flash the PAC-Man zip

Please shear from wich ROM you have successfully migrated.

Last edited:
Many of us love to install and test new ROMs on our devices. One of the things that I have suffered the most is how to know if my current ROM can be upgraded to a different one.

Lets use this thread to comment if

I have already tested:

FROM ....................................... TO ............................................................................ Method
B125 (international) ..................... CyanogenMod 10.1 (surdu_petru) ................................ root + CWM + TWRP
CyanogenMod 10.1 ..................... B120 (international) .................................................... dload + 3-button autoinstall
B125 .......................................... HYD52ROM V2 (husen4u) .......................................... root + CWM + TWRP
HYD52ROM V2 ........................... B120 (international) .................................................... dload + 3-button autoinstall

Does anyone know if I can flash B120 CN being on CyanogenMod for International based on B125?

the basic rule is when you want to go back to stock rom,
make sure you have flash the stock recovery back to its place before you flash the stock rom ..

cowe

May 23, 2013
RUCPHEN
hi,

i have one question, because i bricked my P6 already 2 times on it.
the B120 (international) you mentioned, is only for chinese models wright?
because i'm on CyanogenMod 10.1, and there is nothing wrong with it. absolutly not
but just wanna try something else, and i'm just a few weeks at the android/huawei scene.
thnx in advance

abequer

Dec 24, 2013
Mexico City
hi,

i have one question, because i bricked my P6 already 2 times on it.
the B120 (international) you mentioned, is only for chinese models wright?
because i'm on CyanogenMod 10.1, and there is nothing wrong with it. absolutly not
but just wanna try something else, and i'm just a few weeks at the android/huawei scene.
thnx in advance

My mistake, B120 is Chinese version not International. And no, I have successfully installed B120 (Chinese) on a HW that was bought on México. The phone was bought on a retail store not bound to any operator. I would consider the phone to be "International HW"

raolleel

Nov 19, 2008
Wuppertal
Sorry to say this, but if you were able to flash a CN-Rom on an internal phone, it doesn't say that every phone will be save if you upgrade from the same base ...

There are many little factors which are important.

At this point we CANT tell people there is a save way to flash CN-Roms on International Phones.

abequer

Dec 24, 2013
Mexico City
Sorry to say this, but if you were able to flash a CN-Rom on an internal phone, it doesn't say that every phone will be save if you upgrade from the same base ...

There are many little factors which are important.

At this point we CANT tell people there is a save way to flash CN-Roms on International Phones.

OK... Is there any way I could document my specific HW/SW model to help other people to determine if it is save to do the same on their phone?