new a500 with ICS root question

Search This thread

ccse.eggie

Dec 12, 2009
I just got the a500 in the mail today. during the initial setup I installed the ICS update. Now I want to root the device.

What is the best method to root even though I have ICS installed?

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal

ccse.eggie

Dec 12, 2009
AFAIK there is no root option for OTA ICS and it won't get it until it starts rolling out.

*cough* bull**** *cough*

If it was not the official then what? I unpackaged the device, powered it up, started the setup wizard and it told me there was an update 4.0.1 and if I wanted to install it. Seems official enough for me?

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
If it was not the official then what? I unpackaged the device, powered it up, started the setup wizard and it told me there was an update 4.0.1 and if I wanted to install it. Seems official enough for me?

ICS OTA for a500 has not been announced. Are you sure you have the a500? Are you sure you know the difference between a 3 and a 4? Did you buy the tablet direct or off ebay?

Without proof, your claim is suspect. Never the less, the question is answered. No, there is no OTA ICS root option for the a500 because Acer hasn't rolled out ICS OTA for the a500 and nobody has a vanilla ICS OTA install for the a500.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
The last OTA.. UPDATE from acer was a firmware update with new bootloader to honeycomb.3.2xx xxxx 4.01 .. something like this..

Guys instead of creaming BS .. show him/her how to check
go into settings about and it will show your version and kernel numbers past them back here . Someone will inter pit them for you and show you the true version you are on. Also a screen capture would be nice. you can do this from the acer ring. If you have no acer ring then i say do not bother you are on 3.2.

If you want root there are several procedures in this forum to downgrade to 3.1 bootloader and root just look for how to root 3.2 honeycomb on acer

hope this is helpful

Reactions: ccse.eggie

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal

If the OP had proof, they likely would have posted it already. Since proof doesn't exists, those getting roped into the bull**** would be wasting their time, as you did, buying into it. You'd have been better off making a tea instead of playing thread police.

The OP is either trolling, a liar or an idiot. Pick your poison. I, however, am happy to call them out right off the bat instead of playing into their manipulative hand.

Since the OP has no proof, there's nothing to see here.

Reactions: bfranklin1986

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Didn't you read his reply. 4.01 is Acer's update to 3.2.1 not ICS. He just doesn't know any better he's new to the game. He saw the update started with a 4 and wet his pants with excitement.

ccse.eggie

Dec 12, 2009
The OP is either trolling, a liar or an idiot
What make a person a troll, liar or idiot? Because I choose to ask a simple question? A simple misunderstanding is that I thought 4.0.1 was considered Android 4.0.

So the other persons simple advise showed me to be version 3.1, kernel 2.6.36.3 and build acer_a500_4.010.13_com_gen2.

It must be nice to think you know so much and in reality you know so little...

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Indeed he did wet his pants with excitement. Then didn't bother to check to make sure when asked if he was sure. Them's must'a been some pretty wet pants.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

What make a person a troll, liar or idiot? Because I choose to ask a simple question? A simple misunderstanding is that I thought 4.0.1 was considered Android 4.0.

So the other persons simple advise showed me to be version 3.1, kernel 2.6.36.3 and build acer_a500_4.010.13_com_gen2.

It must be nice to think you know so much and in reality you know so little...

It's not a 'simple question' or 'misunderstanding' when someone asks 'if you're sure'.

It's either lying or idiocy when you try to convince people when you don't know any better yourself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The last OTA.. UPDATE from acer was a firmware update with new bootloader to honeycomb.3.2xx xxxx 4.01 .. something like this..

go into settings about and it will show your version and kernel numbers past them back here . Someone will inter pit them for you and show you the true version you are on. Also a screen capture would be nice. you can do this from the acer ring. If you have no acer ring then i say do not bother you are on 3.2.

If you want root there are several procedures in this forum to downgrade to 3.1 bootloader and root just look for how to root 3.2 honeycomb on acer

hope this is helpful

If the OP had proof, they likely would have posted it already. Since proof doesn't exists, those getting roped into the bull**** would be wasting their time, as you did, buying into it. You'd have been better off making a tea instead of playing thread police.

The OP is either trolling, a liar or an idiot. Pick your poison. I, however, am happy to call them out right off the bat instead of playing into their manipulative hand.

Since the OP has no proof, there's nothing to see here.