(NEW) TUTORIAL: Convert Xiaomi Amazfit Smartwatch from Chinese to English firmware

Search This thread

Neuer_User

Jul 16, 2010
BREAKING NEWS:
Huami took down the files from my hoster because of "alleged copyright infringement". I got a notice and an information that the files have been deleted, as well as that any further copyright infringement will lead to termination of the account and possible legal activities.

UPDATE 23-06-2017:
I updated the files to version 1.3.3a and reuploaded them to a different fileshare. (Let's see if they will be taken down again...)

UPDATE:
This is a new conversion method based on the techniques I used in my PACEfied installer. It will install the official Huami English firmware 1.3.3a with all features and OTA enabled. It will, however, NOT lock your bootloader. So, you have some time to evaluate, if you like the official ROM, or prefer to go to the PACEfied ROM.
NOTE: AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE AND INSTALL AN OFFICIAL OTA AFTERWARDS, YOUR BOOTLOADER WILL BE LOCKED AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SWITCH BACK.

ATTENTION: THIS METHOD ONLY WORKS FOR WATCHES WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (Huami started locking in official firmware 1.2.13 / 1.3.2b and upwards).

INSTALLATION:
This method uses the same installation procedure as PACEfied. Please find all information here: https://gitlab.com/Neuer_User/PACEfied_AmazFit/wikis/permanent-install

Downloads:
OFFICIAL ENGLISH FIRMWARE 1.3.3a: https://app.box.com/s/3io4m4zk7775x3vp80yw19l52slk6sxs

NOTE:
It is recommended that you factory reset the watch after installation, as data from other ROMs may lead to force closes of apps. You can do this either by unpairing the watch or in the settings / device menu of the watch.

DISCLAIMER:
While this method is pretty safe, there is a chance that you may brick your watch (so far no case known). YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for any damages, psychological problems or wars emerging out of you converting your watch.

Last edited:

darkmaniac

Feb 27, 2011
With the help of Neuer I was to flash my smartwatch with US Image!

I had some problems regarding android drivers while running fastboot and adb steps, this is how I solved them:

if fastboot is not detecting your device just download/install Google USB Driver at:
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb.html

Follow this guide on how to install the driver:
http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/07/30/how-to-set-up-adb-fastboot-with-android-sdk/3/

Hi guys
fastboot boot Amazfit-mod-recovery.img

After booting into the modded recovery, adb was not detecting my smartwatch. All that i had to do was to go to "Step 35" of the previous guide and install the "Android Composite ADB Interface" driver and everything started to work again with ADB.

Big thanks to Neuer for his amazing hard work and patience! He did it! Also big thanks to everyone that provided useful information for this to work.

koegs

Oct 2, 2008
Aachen
The instructions are good.
Model is now A1612.
ROM Version is now 1.3.0n

I cannot switch from Mi to KM.

Last edited:
Reactions: bc1977

vervester

Feb 6, 2008
Great work Neuer_User you are now officialy a Amazfit Legend!!

May i suggest the next person to attempt this does a video tutorial and uploads it to youtube. Kudos to all those who have contributed in one way or another.

Another XDA Headline

perritos

Nov 4, 2005
I've an error during update, do you have any hint:
Code:
C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push boot.img.gz /sdcard/
7573 KB/s (5575879 bytes in 0.719s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push system.img.gz /sdcard/
7713 KB/s (189626362 bytes in 24.009s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push flash_eng_version.sh /sdcard
/
267 KB/s (547 bytes in 0.002s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push md5s.txt /sdcard/
45 KB/s (94 bytes in 0.002s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb shell reboot bootloader

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>fastboot devices
0123456789      fastboot

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>fastboot boot Amazfit-mod-recovery.im
g
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.436s]
booting...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.403s

Last edited:

Neuer_User

Jul 16, 2010
I've an error during update, do you have any hint:

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push boot.img.gz /sdcard/
7573 KB/s (5575879 bytes in 0.719s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push system.img.gz /sdcard/
7713 KB/s (189626362 bytes in 24.009s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push flash_eng_version.sh /sdcard
/
267 KB/s (547 bytes in 0.002s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb push md5s.txt /sdcard/
45 KB/s (94 bytes in 0.002s)

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>adb shell reboot bootloader

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>fastboot devices
0123456789 fastboot

C:\Downloads\convert_to_eng>fastboot boot Amazfit-mod-recovery.im
g
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.436s]
booting...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.403s
That is no error. You just need to continue with the next step. You should be recovery now and need to start adb.

cw7585

Sep 14, 2007
Al Ain
Flawless instructions. Worked beautifuly.

I'd have made a video but was paranoid enough that something might go wrong that I didn't want to be distracted during the process. Anyway, the instructions are so clear I'm not sure someone needs the video. So long as adb/fastboot is set up properly, all will go fine.

pieralle

Feb 12, 2012
Flashed, rebooting.........

All ok thanks my friends!

Just to inform, during the procedure I have had a problem, after
"fastboot boot Amazfit-mod-recovery.img"
I have had an error message, but I move on because after adb shell I was root "#"

vervester

Feb 6, 2008
Presumably after flash we can delete these pushed files from SD card to free up storage space?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using XDA Free mobile app

f@bien

Sep 30, 2015
Thank you ! Done ! It's all right ! :)
Just a question : We can't get 24-hour clock instead AM/PM ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BREAKING NEWS:
    Huami took down the files from my hoster because of "alleged copyright infringement". I got a notice and an information that the files have been deleted, as well as that any further copyright infringement will lead to termination of the account and possible legal activities.

UPDATE 23-06-2017:
    I updated the files to version 1.3.3a and reuploaded them to a different fileshare. (Let's see if they will be taken down again...)

UPDATE:
    This is a new conversion method based on the techniques I used in my PACEfied installer. It will install the official Huami English firmware 1.3.3a with all features and OTA enabled. It will, however, NOT lock your bootloader. So, you have some time to evaluate, if you like the official ROM, or prefer to go to the PACEfied ROM.
    NOTE: AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE AND INSTALL AN OFFICIAL OTA AFTERWARDS, YOUR BOOTLOADER WILL BE LOCKED AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SWITCH BACK.

ATTENTION: THIS METHOD ONLY WORKS FOR WATCHES WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (Huami started locking in official firmware 1.2.13 / 1.3.2b and upwards).

INSTALLATION:
    This method uses the same installation procedure as PACEfied. Please find all information here: https://gitlab.com/Neuer_User/PACEfied_AmazFit/wikis/permanent-install

Downloads:
    OFFICIAL ENGLISH FIRMWARE 1.3.3a: https://app.box.com/s/3io4m4zk7775x3vp80yw19l52slk6sxs

NOTE:
    It is recommended that you factory reset the watch after installation, as data from other ROMs may lead to force closes of apps. You can do this either by unpairing the watch or in the settings / device menu of the watch.

DISCLAIMER:
    While this method is pretty safe, there is a chance that you may brick your watch (so far no case known). YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for any damages, psychological problems or wars emerging out of you converting your watch.
    Possible fix for OTA updates

Here is the probably working fix for the non-working OTA-updates:

1. You must have root access for this. Download this file and follow the included instructions to get root access: https://mega.nz/#!wd1iBBBY!e4jKYeUcH7TfcCSmyjpHJCK2uA2FvNTrzrwPuooHc6Q
    2. Then download the following file: https://mega.nz/#!MM9zHIYR!zBrM7G1sGk7wXT6bw__NHaGLyFZEr9pfCc86R804uKI
    3. Extract the file on your PC and push all files to the folder "/sdcard/" on the watch via adb. (e.g. "adb push install_recovery.sh /sdcard/" etc.)
    4. Then enter adb shell. You should see the "#" showing that you are now root.
    5. in adb shell enter "cd /sdcard/; sh install_recovery.sh"
    6. After this has worked successfully, OTAs should work.
    I couldn't test it myself so far (being at work and development watch has no Wifi/Bt :) ). But this should fix the problem.

Please report the results.
    Finally I managed to FULLY TRANSFORM (100%) my watch Amazfit from CHinese firmware (ver. 1.2.4b) Model A1602 to ENglish firmware (ver. 1.3.0n) Model A1612 by following your instructions.

Thanks a lot Neuer_User! Outstanding work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ENGlish version it seams to be older (does not have at Sports Section, Cycling and Cycling indoors) than the CHinese one but I hope to get them at the following update.

Hints: Avoid USB 3.0 slots - it does not let you push the files from the archive to the watch
    I will give xiaomi some time to update the English version. If they don't care about the US Pace version and stay at the old firmware, I will consider starting a project transferring the English language to the Chinese version.
    With the help of Neuer I was to flash my smartwatch with US Image!

I had some problems regarding android drivers while running fastboot and adb steps, this is how I solved them:

if fastboot is not detecting your device just download/install Google USB Driver at:
    https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb.html

Follow this guide on how to install the driver:
    http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/07/30/how-to-set-up-adb-fastboot-with-android-sdk/3/

Hi guys
    fastboot boot Amazfit-mod-recovery.img

After booting into the modded recovery, adb was not detecting my smartwatch. All that i had to do was to go to "Step 35" of the previous guide and install the "Android Composite ADB Interface" driver and everything started to work again with ADB.

Big thanks to Neuer for his amazing hard work and patience! He did it! Also big thanks to everyone that provided useful information for this to work.
    Here are the instructions to do this:

1.) Get into a root shell on the device. Follow this tutorial: https://xdaforums.com/smartwatch/other-smartwatches/tutorial-howto-gain-root-access-via-adb-t3533892
    2.) enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/jzmmc_v1.2.0/by-name/boot | gzip -c > boot.0.9.50.img.gz
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/jzmmc_v1.2.0/by-name/system | gzip -c > system.0.9.50.img.gz
    md5sum boot.0.9.50.img.gz system.0.9.50.img.gz > md5s.0.9.50.txt
    exit
    3.) then transfer the files to your PC
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/boot.0.9.50.img.gz
    adb pull /sdcard/system.0.9.50.img.gz
    adb pull /sdcard/md5s.0.9.50.gz
    4.) when you are done you can upload the files somewhere and when we have them, you can delete them on your watch:
    Code:
    adb shell rm /sdcard/boot.0.9.50.img.gz
    adb shell rm /sdcard/system.0.9.50.img.gz
    adb shell rm /sdcard/md5s.0.9.50.gz

Concerning the installation and usage of adb and fastboot, @Alex38000 and @mewzik86 or some other user can help you, I hope.

With big aid CrazySammy We did make dump version 0.9.5.0 https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2kU38I-wWYJWDh0VW1paFRpaGs?usp=sharing