How-To: Fix Faulty Baseband and Faulty Modem

Search This thread

Codex01

Apr 9, 2013
West Palm Beach
Fix Modem / Baseband JB AT&T ONLY... Sure did fix my problem!;)
Diagnosis for: (Random) no sound; no phone connectivity such as: WIFI; BLUETOOTH; GSM.
Can happen: Flashing wrong fw; Flash failure.

NOTE: Android SDK is required, go to your OS below and view "prerequisites" for more information...

Windows 7 method
Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools and SDK! (install here.)

Instructions:
(1. Make a folder in the directory "C:/" and name it "qinara."
(2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
(3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "C:/qinara/" folder.
(4. Open a cmd prompt.
(5. Change Directory (CD) the cmd to your install location of Android SDK's Platform Tools (type it in to the command prompt.) to make
a command like the following example. Example: CD C:/users/YOUR-USERNAME/android/sdk/platform-tools
(6. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
(7. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
(8. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot reboot
(9. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
it freezes.
(10. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
(11. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Ubuntu / Other Linux-distro method
Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools only! (to install type the following cmds in terminal...)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Instructions:
(1. Make a folder in the directory "/home/USERNAME/" and name it "qinara."
(2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
(3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "/home/USERNAME/qinara/" folder.
(4. Open a terminal.
(5. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot flash modem /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
(6. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
(7. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot reboot
(8. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
it freezes.
(9. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
(10. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Downloads

-NON-HLOS.bin

Ask any questions below... :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Kinda feels that way...but on the Linux instructions just use ~/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin instead of /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin

~/ means the users home directory

Also, and I'm gonna add this to my faq, but download the fastboot I linked, rename to moto-fastboot, place it in ~/bin and add that to $PATH in ~/.bashrc (or where ever your preferred disto prefers it to be)

My actual path line in .bashrc (the part above I'm referring to is in bold)
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/share/android/bin:/share/android/adt/sdk/tools:/share/android/adt/eclipse:/share/android/adt/sdk/platform-tools:$HOME/bin:"

For the curious, I keep all my Android stuff on its own partition (/share/android) so all I have to do is add those directories to my $PATH if I decide to disto hop. If you dualboot, you can do the same thing only set the partition as NTFS or ext2 (there's an windows ext2 driver). I disto hop about once a month.

Reactions: TheJeremyWhite

Codex01

Apr 9, 2013
West Palm Beach
Don't have access to my desktop right now trying to install my new ssd and put Linux mint on it. (Noticed your a Linux guy, do you like mint?) Anyways I'll be sure to add that in later. Thanks.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Mints OK. I prefer Mint Debian, but I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. Pure Debian Stable and Testing is also a good choice.

Arch Linux and its derivatives are nice but aren't noob friendly and are prone to breakage due to being so bleeding edge. Manjaro is a noob friendly distro based on Arch repo snapshots with bug fixes.

About to hop to Slackware 14 myself. Gonna be my first time using it.

All the other distros I've used -- too long ago to be fair and relevant to what's out now.

yashrab

Jun 12, 2011
help...

can you tell me its working or not cause i have some gsm problem no signal due to band change :(

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
sending sparse 'modem' (28172 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.430s]
writing 'modem'...
(bootloader) Unknown chunk type
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 3.720s

Oooooh Cool.....now after trying to find how to get out of the mess that created. I still dont have signal lol

yashrab

Jun 12, 2011
i really need my signal back ...anyone could help me ,,,i am afraid this method does brick my phone ..and another question is if i install the stock rom from RSD lite , will i lost my root access???

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
i really need my signal back ...anyone could help me ,,,i am afraid this method does brick my phone ..and another question is if i install the stock rom from RSD lite , will i lost my root access???

Yeah this method bricked my phone. I had to go back to stock through RSD, and lost root access. The good news is it was so easy to reacquire root thanks to Dan Rosenberg's programs.

yashrab

Jun 12, 2011
Can I install stock though myth tool.. I think it does work just like RSD?.. Plz tell me cause I am totally noob in this part.. And I don't want to brick my phone..

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

lonesomedove

Aug 28, 2012
Taif, Saudi Arabia
Moto Atrix work on any GSM carrier or.. ?

Mints OK. I prefer Mint Debian, but I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. Pure Debian Stable and Testing is also a good choice.

Arch Linux and its derivatives are nice but aren't noob friendly and are prone to breakage due to being so bleeding edge. Manjaro is a noob friendly distro based on Arch repo snapshots with bug fixes.

About to hop to Slackware 14 myself. Gonna be my first time using it.

All the other distros I've used -- too long ago to be fair and relevant to what's out now.

I have question. If I buy Moto Atrix HD will it possible to make it carrier-unlocked so I can use it here in Saudi Arabia where 90% devices are not carrier-locked?

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I have question. If I buy Moto Atrix HD will it possible to make it carrier-unlocked so I can use it here in Saudi Arabia where 90% devices are not carrier-locked?

You should be able to, but I'll tell ya that some users have gone through multiple places to get it unlocked since not all the unlock services have the updated unlock codes we need.

Mar 18, 2013
Nope

Code:
C:\Program Files\Android SDK\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
sending sparse 'modem' (28164 KB)...
OKAY [  2.185s]
writing 'modem'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 3.429s

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Taha Haq

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Code:
C:\Program Files\Android SDK\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
OKAY [  2.185s]
writing 'modem'...
FAILED (remote failure)

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

You didn't use OUR fastboot. I have a link in our fastboot guide, and a direct link here.

/Thank you for posting the full terminal output, command and all.
//It helps
///Most just post "Help, Help, Help" X doesn't work.

Mar 18, 2013
Nope. I know Cyanogenmod has issues at the moment, but I don't know if this will fix it.
Best I can say is to try it. Worst case: you reinstall the ROM. Or you can wait for a release version of CM 10 instead of a nightly.

I can say this didn't brick my phone, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. (but as always - no guarantee)

Sent from my Atrix HD using xda app-developers app

mauchito

Sep 17, 2013
I really need help, I need something like this but for a company in Mexico. I tried this but it didn't worked.

Gabxter101

Apr 14, 2013
Question if i reflash back to stock eith RSD LITE or myth tools will that fix my baseband i delete my baseband by accident

Dumb me :p

kojoskb

Dec 26, 2013
wcdma and lte network problem

i happen to own the mb886 the lte and wcdma used to work then i mistakenly went to change my base band to cellular (800-mhz) then the network went off so i changed it to (aus2 band (gsm-900/ dcs-1900/wcdma-850/wcdma-pcs-1900) but now am only able to get 2g or edge networks but am also in a 3g coverd area. can you guys please help me out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix Modem / Baseband JB AT&T ONLY... Sure did fix my problem!;)
    Diagnosis for: (Random) no sound; no phone connectivity such as: WIFI; BLUETOOTH; GSM.
    Can happen: Flashing wrong fw; Flash failure.

NOTE: Android SDK is required, go to your OS below and view "prerequisites" for more information...

Windows 7 method
    Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools and SDK! (install here.)

Instructions:
    (1. Make a folder in the directory "C:/" and name it "qinara."
    (3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "C:/qinara/" folder.
    (4. Open a cmd prompt.
    (5. Change Directory (CD) the cmd to your install location of Android SDK's Platform Tools (type it in to the command prompt.) to make
    a command like the following example. Example: CD C:/users/YOUR-USERNAME/android/sdk/platform-tools
    (6. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (7. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
    (8. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    (9. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
    it freezes.
    (10. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
    (11. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Ubuntu / Other Linux-distro method
    Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools only! (to install type the following cmds in terminal...)
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Instructions:
    (1. Make a folder in the directory "/home/USERNAME/" and name it "qinara."
    (3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "/home/USERNAME/qinara/" folder.
    (4. Open a terminal.
    (5. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot flash modem /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (6. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
    (7. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    (8. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
    it freezes.
    (9. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
    (10. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Downloads

-NON-HLOS.bin

Ask any questions below... :fingers-crossed:
    Code:
    OKAY [  2.185s]
    writing 'modem'...
    FAILED (remote failure)

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

You didn't use OUR fastboot. I have a link in our fastboot guide, and a direct link here.

/Thank you for posting the full terminal output, command and all.
    //It helps
    ///Most just post "Help, Help, Help" X doesn't work.
    Kinda feels that way...but on the Linux instructions just use ~/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin instead of /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin

~/ means the users home directory

Also, and I'm gonna add this to my faq, but download the fastboot I linked, rename to moto-fastboot, place it in ~/bin and add that to $PATH in ~/.bashrc (or where ever your preferred disto prefers it to be)

My actual path line in .bashrc (the part above I'm referring to is in bold)
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/share/android/bin:/share/android/adt/sdk/tools:/share/android/adt/eclipse:/share/android/adt/sdk/platform-tools:$HOME/bin:"

For the curious, I keep all my Android stuff on its own partition (/share/android) so all I have to do is add those directories to my $PATH if I decide to disto hop. If you dualboot, you can do the same thing only set the partition as NTFS or ext2 (there's an windows ext2 driver). I disto hop about once a month.
    Nope

Code:
    OKAY [  2.185s]
    writing 'modem'...
    FAILED (remote failure)

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?