Sprint S4 and Towelroot - Discussion

Search This thread
Feb 7, 2013
So Towelroot is working on many S4 variants... But ours. Bummer.... So close. I started this thread in hopes that an authority on the subject might chime in on possible reasons as to why. Also Towelroot has gotten quite a bit of attention as a proof of concept for a major security flaw in Android devices. What are your opinions on that?

edmund75

Jun 10, 2010
This is bad news. I've been wanting to try towelroot for the past 2 days, asking around if it works on our Sprint S4. Do you think it'll ever work on ours? If it works on Sprint Note 3 there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
This is bad news. I've been wanting to try towelroot for the past 2 days, asking around if it works on our Sprint S4. Do you think it'll ever work on ours? If it works on Sprint Note 3 there's no reason why it shouldn't.

I can say first hand it is completely safe to attempt to run towelroot... It will not trip Knox or the flash counter, etc, etc... It just does nothing. If you watch a video if towelroot in action you will see text after you “make it ra1n"... But on our devices it just says black below the button then resets the phone.

edmund75

Jun 10, 2010
Noticed that towelroot has been updated to version 2- no more reboot. May give it a try. However, I just read an article about towelroot saying,

"A flaw in the Android operating system may leave many Android phones and tablets vulnerable to attack, including the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Google's own Nexus 5. It's the same flaw that was recently discovered in the Linux kernel, on which Android is based — and a just-released Android "rooting" tool that uses the flaw could make the problem even worse.

Exploiting the flaw on an Android device yields root permissions, or total control of the system. That's not itself malicious, but the exploit could also let attackers remotely download malware, copy the device owner's files and other personal data, disable the device's security apps and create a backdoor for more attacks, according to San Francisco-based security firm Lacoon Mobile Security."

Any thoughts?

Feb 7, 2013
A true double edged sword. Kinda scary the Antivirus gave it an OK... Yet android actually warned me. I've read that in Linux systems the bug has been fixed.. However with so many generations and models of phones and tablets it's trickier.

I'd say the best solution would be an apk that can be ran on a rooted device (or with the bug... Not) that fixes or at least blocks it.

Feb 7, 2013
That's a negative on version 2... But nothing tripped. Odd thing... It still resets on its own.

Last edited:

cwithy74

May 14, 2014
noob with sprint sg4

I can say first hand it is completely safe to attempt to run towelroot... It will not trip Knox or the flash counter, etc, etc... It just does nothing. If you watch a video if towelroot in action you will see text after you “make it ra1n"... But on our devices it just says black below the button then resets the phone.
when I say noob I mean noob...I'm new to Android and I have no clue really what I'm doing all I know is that I wanted to be rooted because I used to use iPhone and I'm in jail breaker, which gave me the ability to not be charged out the bottom from Sprint just to tether my unlimited data to my computer. after trying to understand the wholr "rooting" process I gave up ( i suffer with OCD and ADD and that is not a good combination when teaching yourself anything tech...plus if you haven't notice I tend to be long winded and very detailed about very unnecessary information just as this last sentence sorry) Yesterday I came across Towelroot was very skeptical but continued reading as much as I could find and decided after reading "it won harm your device to try" I did..... and it works!!! first try unbelievable... now I just got to try to teach myself what to do now... there is a lot of information in computer language that the typical ex jail breaker doesn't understand....it's going to be a long road ahead of me but from what I've read so far it's going to be great. Thanks!
btw....I read this thread and wanted to reply to let people with the sprint sg4...that it's possible but I wasn't registered .... I guess things happen for a reason! if anyone has some helpful information that they can give me as to bypass the frightening journey me and my OCD andADD have in trying to work through the mass amounts of information in this strange language I sure would love ya for it! lol but what doesn't kill me will only make me smarter. love the site guys!

cwithy74

May 14, 2014
Worked for you? How updated was your device?

I'm staying away from the kit Kat update..read too much negative
my software: L720VPUEMK2
android version: 4.3
I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to know...I'm not very educated on the computer lango. .
just to let you know though I used towelroot then checked to see if it worked using root checker basic and it was a success then I downloaded superuser couldn't update so u installed it checked my root again it was gone. I opened towelroot again ran it and was rooted again...now I'm just trying to figure out what I need to be safe and secure and get started learning what I am able to do now... hope this info helps

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to know...I'm not very educated on the computer lango. .
just to let you know though I used towelroot then checked to see if it worked using root checker basic and it was a success then I downloaded superuser couldn't update so u installed it checked my root again it was gone. I opened towelroot again ran it and was rooted again...now I'm just trying to figure out what I need to be safe and secure and get started learning what I am able to do now... hope this info helps

so you basically used towelroot on 4.3? enh, I used saferoot, which was released a while back, to root 4.3 without tripping Knox... what we need to know is will towelroot give us root on 4.4 NAE...

Feb 7, 2013

Yes that's exactly what I wanted to know. This would explain why some sites are reporting it as working on our model

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works fine on NAE. Download latest towelroot (v3), click the title 3 times, enter "1337 0 1 7380 4 0". Click "Make it rain".

Enjoy root. No KNOX tripped.
    I did read, I know the exploit works, I didn't ask if the exploit works, I asked if there was a way to leverage the exploit into a hotspot without using a recovery that might trip knox. In the future, if you feel you must use such a condescending tone to talk to me, I would prefer it if you just ignored me. Your answer was not helpful, and I feel dumber for having read it.
    Either way I just told you that it is possible to have hacked hotspot with just root access and no custom recovery. I did it to my neighbors phone. You can push the files yourself or use a hotpot app that is not on the play store and configure it.

edit: and to make it easier for you, here is the app that I used on my neighbors phone. http://dl.globalapk.com/2014/06/WiFi Tether Router v6.0.apk
    Because it doesn't work otherwise. It's a modstring to modify the exploit parameters for our specific device.
    Works fine on NAE. Download latest towelroot (v3), click the title 3 times, enter "1337 0 1 7380 4 0". Click "Make it rain".

Enjoy root. No KNOX tripped.

Aw man...I was just about to post this and you beat me to it.... but yes folks the above offset will make towelroot work on 4.4
    And so the torch is passed on to another. ..