[PROJECT]Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

Jimmy273

Jan 22, 2011
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HARM DONE TO YOUR DEVICE THROUGH METHODS MENTIONED BELOW. THESE METHODS WILL DOWNLOAD UPDATES THAT WILL WANT TO INSTALL. DO NOT INSTALL THEM THEY MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE. STICK TO THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Also note it may be weeks, perhaps months before Atrix 2 updates begin rolling in. It's a very new device!

Now, the fastest way we are going to get this Bootloader unlocked is with a little ol' fashioned teamwork. These methods have worked for other devices but require some participation and patience.
Previous devices having used the method:
Bionic
ATRIX 4G

Here are the methods we will be using:
1.Motorola, ATT SBF files for Motorola Atrix 2
2.Project Cheesecake - finding update versions on Motorola servers

1. SBF files
If you or someone you know is able to provide SBF Files intended for the Atrix 2, you can post them here or email them to me at yankeesbro@gmail.com if anonymity is an issue.

2. The tried and tested Project Cheesecake!

Automatic Method:
What you will need

1.an ADB setup.
2.Obviously, Root.
3.ClockworkMod Recovery set up on the phone.
4.You should have an FXZ Ready in case you mess up.
5.Root Explorer from market

Now an app does it all for you. Imagine that.

1. Okay, so, download THIS APP RIGHT HERE.

2. Install the app on your phone.

3. Open the app. Click the first button.

4. Reboot.

5. Open app, click second button. Select a server. QA And Staging servers seem most common for updates, but we need to check them all. The default is in Production -> master-blur.whatever.com if you need to get back to it.

6. now click third button in app to check for update. click setup (the moto account thing is bs). Now if it gives you a wifi error, that means the server is down that you chose. If the server is up it will check for an update.

7. If that didn't work, select a new server with button 2, and then check again with button 3.

8. Any comments in this post about the ghettoness of my app will result in replies including but not limited to A) Slander, B) flaming, and C) death. Try to keep the thread pretty on topic to cheesecake method and other info. I know my app can be refined, jcase has been giving me some tips on streamlining my programming and su permission reduction, but it does good stuff, don't worry. It even remounts system as RO when it uses it.

9. godspeed, guys.

What do I do if my phone finds an update?

if you are uncomfortable dealing with it for sake of bricks / other bad stuff, let someone else know or post it in the thread. It will be attended to properly.
DO NOT INSTALL IT. IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT
Depending on what the update contains, it could brick your device. Get in touch with a developer ASAP if you don't know what to do. Post in this thread which server you found it on. load up adb. The file you found should exist somewhere in /cache. pull it to your computer. Then delete it. Be warned that the update after downloaded tries to install every 2 minutes and while typing a text i accidentally clicked install once. I almost messed myself up.

log onto chat.andirc.net and go to #bionic. You might find me in there.
Log onto irc.freenode.net and join #droidbionic and #bionic-dev. The bionic-dev channel is ONLY for dev-related talk. If you just want to kick it, converse in #droidbionic.
Someone experienced here can help you, and let you know what you've found.

If you liked my work here, click the thanks button at the bottom of this post! Thank you all for reading.
Link to original topic:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1281675

Manual Method:
Instructions:
List of servers:
Code:
master-lab.blurdev.com
master-demo.blurdev.com
master-dev.blurdev.com
master-qa1.blurdev.com
master-qa2.blurdev.com
master-qa3.blurdev.com
master-qa4.blurdev.com
master-staging1.blurdev.com
master-sdc1.svcmot.com
master-blur.svcmot.com
master-homer.blurdev.com
master-bart.blurdev.com
master-lisa.blurdev.com
master-maggie.blurdev.com
master-marge.blurdev.com
master-bqa1.blurdev.com
master-bqa2.blurdev.com
testcloud01-sdc1.blurdev.com

1.Root the device
2.Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur/ in a root file explorer [ie. Root Explorer]
3.Edit data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso. Replace "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=1" with "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=0"
4.Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with:
Code:
<map><string name='blur.service.ws.useApnProxy'>0</string><string name='blur.service.ws.masterCloud'>master-lab.blurdev.com</string></map>
5.to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup in a root file explorer and Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with(you settings may already look like this, if so ignore it):
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <map>
    <boolean name='AllowActiveSync' value='true'/>
    <boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/>
    <boolean name='ShowConnectionChooser' value='true'/>
    <boolean name='ShowDataSaverInSetup' value='true'/>
    <boolean name='WifiPreference' value='true'/>
    <boolean name='loc_consent_unchecked' value='false'/>
    <boolean name='CloudPreference' value='true'/></map>
6.Wipe data and cache
7.Navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Updates
8.If it says "Update Available," let the update download. Do not install the update, because it could potentially brick your device.
9.Pull the update.zip file from /cache [Root Explorer or ADB] and upload/post the file for developer interest
10.Continue to test the next server. Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur
11.Mount the folder as read/write
12.Edit defaults.xml. Remove "master-lab.blurdev.com" and put in the URL for the next server.
13.Repeat the steps from "Wipe data and cache" every time.
Credits: They all deserve thanks so if you see them around the forum, or wish to go to their original topics click that button!
- eval- for his initial discovery on the Atrix 4G
- Navalynt for scanning servers
- SamCripp, the2dcour - working on "Project Cheesecake" and "Pudding" unlock projects
-kennethpenn for the instructions as well as setup.

-Phydo for automatic method and app!

Last edited:

Jimmy273

Jan 22, 2011
I saw that as well... Let me know if its working on the ATRIX 2 and I'll edit the topic accordingly. Thanks again for your continued interest, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Phydo's app works beautifully. I installed and ran it on severall of the servers, if it asks to setup and account just click setup... then if it asks to setup a wifi connection then that server is down, which I am getting on most of them right now as would be expected.

Jim

Jimmy273

Jan 22, 2011
Works flawlessly on my end too.. updated the first post with instructions.

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Just pulled Blur_Version.55.11.16.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip with cheesecake.
Judging only by the number in the filename, this is the stock version of blur... probably.
Can't post links so...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy273

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
It's only 50 megs so I don't think it's the full filesytem.
This might be the update from the mythical 2.3.4 version listed on the moto dev site.

edit: I see some recent timestamps... system\etc\motorola\ap_flex_version.txt
Code:
GAS_NA_EDSNGBATT_P015
Sat Oct 29 10:13:33 PDT 2011

derp derp
Code:
Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US  %Blur_Version.55.11.16.MB865.ATT.en.US

Last edited:

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Went ahead and too a giant leap and upgraded.
After a few harrowing minutes, it was updated to 55.13.15
Android version is 2.3.6
Baseband is
2011-10-28 12:44 Off.Bld
LUD_EDISON_R1D7_PATCH_34_111028_1226

Webtop has been updated, looks like firefox 7.0.1 is installed now, can't test it myself.

Getting prompts from motorola to "upgrade".

Lost root in the update. Going to try to get it back...
Edit: Root works!

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
 ... FAILED (remote: unsupported command)

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
what files were in the update? was there an fxz or an sbf? were there any files with I think mbl in the name? Those would be the bootloader, if so we need to take a look at them. I will put it down and check it out.

I am not quite ready to install that yet, since I am on the right track to have a FULL ubuntu desktop running in webtop, right now I have broken tomoyo, so no facls, or security on the webtop files, and I have a terminal and sudo, as well as synaptic, so I will hold off on 2.3.6 for now, since there is a webtop update in there.

I will start a new thread for the webtop stuff once I have more. Now I need to get with tallnerd1985 to get webtop2sd working on our phones.

Jim

bigdaddy4u

Mar 11, 2010
Thank You for warning everyone else even while you are still having trouble. You can take it back to At&t/Bestbuy or wherever you bought it - They won't know and 99% don't care especially about the Atrix 1 or 2...

Just act PISSED! If anyone asks you a question...

Last edited:

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Looks like motorola really is trying to push an update to me, 15 MB file update to 55.13.16. I'm not going to touch it for now. Gotta get some sleep

Don't see any SBFs or FXZs...
This is my first rooted android phone, so i'm just flying blind here.

Now that I can post links, here's the one linked to through tinyurl above.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ok, so in the 55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US file, there are 2 boot loaders, one is called prologue_loader.ldr and the other one, which I am guessing is the one we already have is called production_loader.ldr

This will require some more looking to see if the prologue_loader.ldr is unlockable, so that they can load thier updated image, then relock it with the production_loader.ldr

This might be good news and it might be nothing, but I will keep everyone posted, with what I find.

Jim

Jimmy273

Jan 22, 2011
Try to find the stock build as well, because if that is found i could probably unbrick my phone!

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Looks like motorola really is trying to push an update to me, 15 MB file update to 55.13.16. I'm not going to touch it for now. Gotta get some sleep
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14536681/Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip

Don't see any SBFs or FXZs...
This is my first rooted android phone, so i'm just flying blind here.

Now that I can post links, here's the one linked to through tinyurl above.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14536681/Blur_Version.55.11.16.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip

Try to find the stock build as well, because if that is found i could probably unbrick my phone!

Ok use the link above and try to get it on the root of your SD card, I am not sure if that zip file work or not, for CWM or fastboot, if you can connect to ADB with fastboot, you should be able to flash it from that.

Jim

Reactions: c.yarnell

LordGeek

Aug 1, 2007
Ohio
Ok .. this is driving me nuts here. Trying to apply the Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip update to my Atrix 2 .. since there is NO WORKING ClockWorkMod that can be used .. tried doing it other way that jimbridgman suggested and that was fastboot.

Well .. that doesn't work either .. receive error message:

>fastboot -w update Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip
archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt

Anyone else have any ideas of how to apply this update ?

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Ok .. this is driving me nuts here. Trying to apply the Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip update to my Atrix 2 .. since there is NO WORKING ClockWorkMod that can be used .. tried doing it other way that jimbridgman suggested and that was fastboot.

Well .. that doesn't work either .. receive error message:

>fastboot -w update Blur_Version.55.13.15.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip
archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt

Anyone else have any ideas of how to apply this update ?

Good question, though you'll need to start from the first file...
Blur_Version.55.11.16.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip

I think the filenames are for the versions that the patch gets applied to, not the version it'd be updated to.
This is all new to me, I'm guessing you could boot up with VolumeUp+VolumeDown held down, choose the recovery mode, and do volup+voldown for the recovery menu and choose update, and the zip from that menu...

Edit: This works. Updated from 55.13.15 to 55.13.16
Baseband got pushed back a few days
2011-10-25 11:19 Off.Bld
LUD_EDISON_R1D7_PATCH_33_111025_1101

Lost root again, but thankfully the zergling rush is a highly effective strategy still ;)

-=Insert warning about updating being AT YOUR OWN RISK and not being responsible for bricks etc... =-
Additional warning that this might cut the phone off from official OTA updates from Motorola...

Last edited:

LordGeek

Aug 1, 2007
Ohio
@moofree:

You are correct, I was successful in getting the 2 updates on, and yes, root was lost. However, I was unable to get the root back !!

Tried manually, tried the 1-click.. Neither would give root. So, since I just received the phone the day before from BestBuy, I did the next logical thing.. Bricked it and returned the phone defective.. LOL

So, now I have a replacement, new Atrix 2.. I'm leaving it exactly where it is until either the OTA's come through the right channels, or something more permanent and correctly working has been done for unlocking the bootloader and rooting.

If not.. 30 days from 11/01/11.. Options are still open with the HTC Vivid and SGS2 Skyrocket.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I Want to reiterate to everyone who is trying to help unlock the boot loader by using the cheesecake method here that you don't want to apply any of these updates directly. Motorola always relocks the bootloader with 99% of these updates. It will be one of the development versions that we are looking for, you just want to download the zip file and upload them with a link attached in here to grab the file you get.Then we can have a look at the files contained in them.
We are looking for the magical developmental unlocked bootloader that we can make our own update zip file, with just the bootloader that is unlockable, in it.

Again don't apply the updates that you get from this process. You may brick your phone or worse, permanantly be unable to root or unlock the boot loader.

This is a cat and mouse type of a thing wiith thses big phone makers.

Jim

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HARM DONE TO YOUR DEVICE THROUGH METHODS MENTIONED BELOW. THESE METHODS WILL DOWNLOAD UPDATES THAT WILL WANT TO INSTALL. DO NOT INSTALL THEM THEY MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE. STICK TO THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Also note it may be weeks, perhaps months before Atrix 2 updates begin rolling in. It's a very new device!

Now, the fastest way we are going to get this Bootloader unlocked is with a little ol' fashioned teamwork. These methods have worked for other devices but require some participation and patience.
    Previous devices having used the method:
    Bionic
    ATRIX 4G

Here are the methods we will be using:
    1.Motorola, ATT SBF files for Motorola Atrix 2
    2.Project Cheesecake - finding update versions on Motorola servers

1. SBF files
    If you or someone you know is able to provide SBF Files intended for the Atrix 2, you can post them here or email them to me at yankeesbro@gmail.com if anonymity is an issue.

2. The tried and tested Project Cheesecake!

Automatic Method:
    What you will need

1.an ADB setup.
    2.Obviously, Root.
    3.ClockworkMod Recovery set up on the phone.
    4.You should have an FXZ Ready in case you mess up.
    5.Root Explorer from market

Now an app does it all for you. Imagine that.

1. Okay, so, download THIS APP RIGHT HERE.

2. Install the app on your phone.

3. Open the app. Click the first button.

4. Reboot.

5. Open app, click second button. Select a server. QA And Staging servers seem most common for updates, but we need to check them all. The default is in Production -> master-blur.whatever.com if you need to get back to it.

6. now click third button in app to check for update. click setup (the moto account thing is bs). Now if it gives you a wifi error, that means the server is down that you chose. If the server is up it will check for an update.

7. If that didn't work, select a new server with button 2, and then check again with button 3.

8. Any comments in this post about the ghettoness of my app will result in replies including but not limited to A) Slander, B) flaming, and C) death. Try to keep the thread pretty on topic to cheesecake method and other info. I know my app can be refined, jcase has been giving me some tips on streamlining my programming and su permission reduction, but it does good stuff, don't worry. It even remounts system as RO when it uses it.

9. godspeed, guys.

What do I do if my phone finds an update?

if you are uncomfortable dealing with it for sake of bricks / other bad stuff, let someone else know or post it in the thread. It will be attended to properly.
    DO NOT INSTALL IT. IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT
    Depending on what the update contains, it could brick your device. Get in touch with a developer ASAP if you don't know what to do. Post in this thread which server you found it on. load up adb. The file you found should exist somewhere in /cache. pull it to your computer. Then delete it. Be warned that the update after downloaded tries to install every 2 minutes and while typing a text i accidentally clicked install once. I almost messed myself up.

log onto chat.andirc.net and go to #bionic. You might find me in there.
    Log onto irc.freenode.net and join #droidbionic and #bionic-dev. The bionic-dev channel is ONLY for dev-related talk. If you just want to kick it, converse in #droidbionic.
    Someone experienced here can help you, and let you know what you've found.

If you liked my work here, click the thanks button at the bottom of this post! Thank you all for reading.
    Link to original topic:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1281675

Manual Method:
    Instructions:
    List of servers:
    Code:
    master-lab.blurdev.com
    master-demo.blurdev.com
    master-dev.blurdev.com
    master-qa1.blurdev.com
    master-qa2.blurdev.com
    master-qa3.blurdev.com
    master-qa4.blurdev.com
    master-staging1.blurdev.com
    master-sdc1.svcmot.com
    master-blur.svcmot.com
    master-homer.blurdev.com
    master-bart.blurdev.com
    master-lisa.blurdev.com
    master-maggie.blurdev.com
    master-marge.blurdev.com
    master-bqa1.blurdev.com
    master-bqa2.blurdev.com
    testcloud01-sdc1.blurdev.com

1.Root the device
    2.Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur/ in a root file explorer [ie. Root Explorer]
    3.Edit data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso. Replace "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=1" with "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=0"
    4.Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with:
    Code:
    <map><string name='blur.service.ws.useApnProxy'>0</string><string name='blur.service.ws.masterCloud'>master-lab.blurdev.com</string></map>
    5.to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup in a root file explorer and Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with(you settings may already look like this, if so ignore it):
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
        <map>
        <boolean name='AllowActiveSync' value='true'/>
        <boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/>
        <boolean name='ShowConnectionChooser' value='true'/>
        <boolean name='ShowDataSaverInSetup' value='true'/>
        <boolean name='WifiPreference' value='true'/>
        <boolean name='loc_consent_unchecked' value='false'/>
        <boolean name='CloudPreference' value='true'/></map>
    6.Wipe data and cache
    7.Navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Updates
    8.If it says "Update Available," let the update download. Do not install the update, because it could potentially brick your device.
    9.Pull the update.zip file from /cache [Root Explorer or ADB] and upload/post the file for developer interest
    10.Continue to test the next server. Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur
    11.Mount the folder as read/write
    12.Edit defaults.xml. Remove "master-lab.blurdev.com" and put in the URL for the next server.
    13.Repeat the steps from "Wipe data and cache" every time.
    Credits: They all deserve thanks so if you see them around the forum, or wish to go to their original topics click that button!
    - eval- for his initial discovery on the Atrix 4G
    - Navalynt for scanning servers
    - SamCripp, the2dcour - working on "Project Cheesecake" and "Pudding" unlock projects
    -kennethpenn for the instructions as well as setup.

-Phydo for automatic method and app!
    But the method can be same

Sent from my ME865 using xda premium

No it will not, the architecture and instruction set are totally different. We need to find a way to do it that applies to the A2 or the razr, or possibly even the bionic. Any other phone processes will NOT work for this phone, so don't even think about it.... Trust me I have tried so many different ideas to crack this thing it is not even funny including things that should not have even been attempted on this phone, just to see... I will say that I sacrificed 9 phones for the community, trying to unlock the bootloader. I thank AT&T for accepting the return of each "broken" phone that just died while charging last night... LOL.
    Ok... Wow. I just read the two responds. First off, my bad, I guess I misunderstood your original post. Novel nonsense? You might want to take a longer break. You seem angry, i'm not sure how my post meant as optimistic angered you so much.

Yes, I know how much coding is involved. Time effort and such. But you know screw this cause i'm developing my own stuff. I thought maybe some one would have some help cause I can't seem to get GPS to work. And some other stuff too. But okay fella. I think i'm just going to chop this current one up and stick with stock. The atrix 2 kinda sucks. Got as a replacement when I lost my first one, atrix 1... This one doesn't do the cool stuff the other one, the atrix 1, did.

you obviously can't push this thing like is needed and your anger makes me want to stay as far away from anything you might drivel out. I bid you a good day.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA

No anger here. Not sure how you got any emotion from written words on a page, but there was no anger in my post. Frustration maybe, from those not understanding what an undertaking it is to compile code with limited released source for the phone that Motorola has released, with out the correct modules for the MB edition of this phone, which means whole new sections of code that have to be written, from scratch.

Your original post though made a ton of assumptions, that "someone" would make a kernel. If you wanted to help or get help with GPS issues with building a kernel all you had to do was ask, you could PM me, or post a question in the general section, and one of us would help.

Your posts here seem quite defensive and angry, and I am not sure why, I never attacked you, yet you attacked me, and all the other devs in here. For what, since you are not happy with what we have provided to you for free, in our own spare time.

I have worked for companies such as Sun Microsystems, and been in the UNIX field for 20+ years. I have been not only compiling but, also coding linux kernels since the 0.86 days of linux, and redhat did not even exist yet at that time, I have worked side by side with Linus on several projects. I now own my own consulting firm, and guess what AT&T happens to be a huge client of mine... so I don't really want to play this childish my skills are bigger than yours, crap.

If you have not noticed we are a pretty tight knit group in here, and we stick up for each other.

Go have fun with your HTC!
    You Sir, are amazing. Thanks for all your incredible efforts!

Out of curiosity, what would we be able to do with a temp-unlocked boot loader?

not much. It is very similar to what kexec does, and allows a new kernel to be loaded on a single boot, but you do not load the moto kernel and then unload it to load the new one, you just load the new kernel only. Doing this does not stick on every boot though, and you have to make a special file to allow it and then you need 2nd init to pull this off, so it is not for for normal everyday users just yet. Once I have it all laid out, and get it so that we can flash the NS bootloader to the device, I will make a write up and instructions, but that is all a big if right now, since the rootkit that will allow the NS bootloader to flash has been difficult to get everything working correctly, and I need more time to play with it.
    Hey,

I thought there was an ns bootloader on one of the ICS leaks. What was that about? Wasn't that an unlocked bootloader?
    And what about the bounty thing? Aren't we going to call upon an expert for unlocking it (wasn't that the reason why that thread was made)?

Really looking forward to an unlocked bootloader because I had 2 phones which had there bootloaders unlocked after I bought them (Arc S and X10 Mini) and the difference it made was unexplicably awesome.

Hope we get an unlocked bootloader some time in the near future and hope you do it jim since you're one of the better developers here.

Cheers,
    z

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the support.

Yeah we have tried to get the NS BL to stick on the device but have so far not had much luck. I am working on something that we will try with booting off of the sdcard with a root kit, to fake the device to think it is an NS device then flash that BL to the device, and then change it in our system using the same root kit. That will be a little while out though, since I have to create the root kit from scratch.

As far as the bounty, we have not any takers yet and none of the guys I have asked to try it have wanted to even attempt it. And I can't name the person we spoke with on IRC for a reason... but, he said that he was able to use jtag and put whatever he wanted on certain paritions on another locked phone, and that is how they unlocked that one. So we are still trying, but we just keep hitting brick walls everywhere we turn.