DRM Protected Content Storage - High Battery Usage

Search This thread

Maverick777

May 16, 2008
So I've been trying to figure out what app(s) has been causing my battery to drain quicker than normal because I noticed it draining quicker than when I first flashed the Bionix 1.3 rom. I found a program called PowerTutor that profiles and monitors your phone's power usage and allows you to see how much power is used by each app.

I quickly found that 2 apps were sucking up all the power. The OLED screen by itself uses about 400mw of power. I found that QuickDesk is using about 350mw and DRM Portected Content Storage is using 380mw of power.

I have uninstalled QuickDesk, but what the heck is DRM Protected Content Storage. Is this a necessary app that needs to run in the background or is it safe to kill or better yet, prevent from running at all?

Thanks

New Finding: So I killed the DRM Protected Content Storage with a task killer, but apparently it's still running in the background because it's still eating up the battery according to PowerTutor.

Last edited:
Reactions: elswerky

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
So I've been trying to figure out what app(s) has been causing my battery to drain quicker than normal because I noticed it draining quicker than when I first flashed the Bionix 1.3 rom. I found a program called PowerTutor that profiles and monitors your phone's power usage and allows you to see how much power is used by each app.

I quickly found that 2 apps were sucking up all the power. The OLED screen by itself uses about 400mw of power. I found that QuickDesk is using about 350mw and DRM Portected Content Storage is using 380mw of power.

I have uninstalled QuickDesk, but what the heck is DRM Protected Content Storage. Is this a necessary app that needs to run in the background or is it safe to kill or better yet, prevent from running at all?

Thanks

If you kill it, your Avatar movie may stop working. It will also likely make the Media Hub app never work, should they ever enable it for us. I can't think of anything else DRM would do for/against us. Avatar is easy enough to replace if you want to with Handbrake and a copy of the movie in a non-DRM format, so give it a go I guess. I might try it just to save battery. I have AutoStarts, so I should be able to keep it from ever loading. I suspect if you kill it, it will just come back. :)

Reactions: keifus.rahn

Maverick777

May 16, 2008
If you kill it, your Avatar movie may stop working. It will also likely make the Media Hub app never work, should they ever enable it for us. I can't think of anything else DRM would do for/against us. Avatar is easy enough to replace if you want to with Handbrake and a copy of the movie in a non-DRM format, so give it a go I guess. I might try it just to save battery. I have AutoStarts, so I should be able to keep it from ever loading. I suspect if you kill it, it will just come back. :)

The problem is it looks like the program is still running after I've killed it with a task killer. It doesn't even show up as a running task, but it's apparently still using power. 390mw's at the moment.

I don't have Avatar anymore since I swapped out the SD card and didn't plan on putting it back on and I won't be using MediaHub.

Since this program alone accounts for 80% or more of the power usage among all my apps while the phone is idling, I just want to prevent it from running at all. It's rediculous for a program to be using almost as much power as the screen!

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
DRM Protected Content Storage is a native Android service. It's a background loop service that runs whenever the display is active to insure that content with DRM is allowed to run and display.

You are misinterpreting what this is doing, as is the Power Tutor application. It will *ALWAYS* show a power draw that is roughly equivalent to the displays power draw when the display is active because it runs as a subset of the display service.

Fire up an ancient G1 running Donut and you'll see the same behavior...

Last edited:
Reactions: cuks

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The problem is it looks like the program is still running after I've killed it with a task killer. It doesn't even show up as a running task, but it's apparently still using power. 390mw's at the moment.

That's where something like AutoStarts comes in. It allows you to disable services that auto-start. :)

See the other post about why it shows up that way. Sounds like it's not a big issue and the app you're using to estimate power draw is wrong about it.

Maverick777

May 16, 2008
That's where something like AutoStarts comes in. It allows you to disable services that auto-start. :)

See the other post about why it shows up that way. Sounds like it's not a big issue and the app you're using to estimate power draw is wrong about it.

OK, in that case I'll let it keep running. Thanks for all the info.

Rodriguez92

May 9, 2010
its safe to stop the drm content storage i did it havent noticed any bad things going on with my phone.. hopefully battery life gets better.. i stop sns, drm, and some other service that was running havent had any FCs or anything like that if battery life gets better ill definitely be happy

henreeg

Aug 31, 2010
Miami
you can also freeze these process using Titanium Backup. This way, you won't delete them if you ever need to use them [DRM] and they won't be running in the background unnecessarily. Better battery life has been reported.

Reactions: guruleenyc

Bronk93

Oct 31, 2009
Central, FL
you can also freeze these process using Titanium Backup. This way, you won't delete them if you ever need to use them [DRM] and they won't be running in the background unnecessarily. Better battery life has been reported.
This is exactly what I did and have experienced bettery battery life with no ill side effects.

Wrong About the Media

DRM Protected Content Storage is a native Android service. It's a background loop service that runs whenever the display is active to insure that content with DRM is allowed to run and display.

You are misinterpreting what this is doing, as is the Power Tutor application. It will *ALWAYS* show a power draw that is roughly equivalent to the displays power draw when the display is active because it runs as a subset of the display service.

I am having the same issue and have found you're above theory is incorrect, according to my G1.
Cell standby: 69
Display: 12
wifi: 11
phone idle: 5

(weird stats, though wish i could have it on my overheating sgs2) :((

on my sgs2 screen is 37% while media is 25% (not close enough to be "rough" either)

anyway, where did you find out about this? (power draw of display = same because parent of set)

because i have tried disabling all the subsets of media and it doesnt change. so your idea might make sense to explain it..

guruleenyc

Aug 6, 2010
CT

Thanks! I did the same, next is 'download manager' which is draining me too....

krzych

Jul 29, 2009
Warsaw

Do not take it personally, but it's the most stupid thing I've ever heard of.
DRM crap can only check/search for data streams, but not on the screen like you claim, as such would drain your battery much faster (probably in an hour or so) and would have to use internet databases or the data would fill you SD about what is to be protected and what not - as I assume you thought about "screen recognition of protected content" - so no, you are TOTALLY wrong. Those are simple certificate-like algorithms based on the digital data stored inside the movies/songs etc.

And I'm going to freeze this crappy DRM too, as I have no movies/audio to be checked at all, all free stuff, so it's of no use to me ever.

I'll keep you posted what it did on my DHD Sense based Android. And I suppose it won't do anything.

PS. Most of the DRM drain is caused when you mount/unmount SD card as this crap scans for files.

Atharkhan101

Account currently disabled
Any ideas on these

Hello Everyone,

Below is the list of apps running as pre-installed. A discription, safe to remove or not, safe to disable at startup or not. Information will be helpful.

Google Contacts sync
Market feedback agent
MusicFX -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Picasa uploader -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Calender
Calender Storage
DRM protected Content -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Download Manager
Google One Time Init
Google Play services
Google Services Framework
Media Storage
Omcap
Atci_service
Bluetooth
Cell Broadcasts
Key chain
Phone
SIM Toolkit

let me know guys... thanks

Last edited:
T

Thanhtho96

Hello Everyone,

Below is the list of apps running as pre-installed. A discription, safe to remove or not, safe to disable at startup or not. Information will be helpful.

Google Contacts sync
Market feedback agent
MusicFX -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Picasa uploader -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Calender
Calender Storage
DRM protected Content -- I disabled it at boot via Clean Master app
Download Manager
Google One Time Init
Google Play services
Google Services Framework
Media Storage
Omcap
Atci_service
Bluetooth
Cell Broadcasts
Key chain
Phone
SIM Toolkit

let me know guys... thanks
Cell Broadcasts I try delete 1 time no problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do not take it personally, but it's the most stupid thing I've ever heard of.
    DRM crap can only check/search for data streams, but not on the screen like you claim, as such would drain your battery much faster (probably in an hour or so) and would have to use internet databases or the data would fill you SD about what is to be protected and what not - as I assume you thought about "screen recognition of protected content" - so no, you are TOTALLY wrong. Those are simple certificate-like algorithms based on the digital data stored inside the movies/songs etc.

And I'm going to freeze this crappy DRM too, as I have no movies/audio to be checked at all, all free stuff, so it's of no use to me ever.

I'll keep you posted what it did on my DHD Sense based Android. And I suppose it won't do anything.

PS. Most of the DRM drain is caused when you mount/unmount SD card as this crap scans for files.

Thanks

New Finding: So I killed the DRM Protected Content Storage with a task killer, but apparently it's still running in the background because it's still eating up the battery according to PowerTutor.

Thanks