[App] PDroidAddon Camera and Microphone Permission [Update: v1.2, 2012-08-08]

Search This thread

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Currently testing, and messing around with it a bit. Good to see the addition of the privacy coverage for the wifi settings, as well as camera and recording. I've been a bit delayed since the machine I've been using for builds died (drive failure) so I've had to get everything configured again.
I have only very briefly looked at the camera section of the app (and not at all at the recording and had problems with a couple of apps crashing when trying to use the camera when they were blocked. I haven't systematically looked at them yet, or really gone over the logcats so it may be something obvious I've done.

Many thanks for bug-report. Did you add the picture in /system/media ? If not, just add it and the camera block will work. Camera will FC if you want to take video, will bring out new update which fix that if I have more time.

Right now I'm giving more of a focus to the Privacy Wifi Manager. I've run up an ICS build with PDroidAddon patches on my tab, and given it a complete wipe (so going from scratch). In the initial setup of the tablet, the screen on which you would normally select the Wifi settings is crashing (don't have a logcat for that yet - just added some additional logging code and rebuilding at the moment). Also, when viewing the settings (which come up with Wifi by default) there is a null pointer exception.
That happens before actually doing configuration with the PDroid application (but both before and after the PDroid app is installed). If you go into the PDroid app, open the 'Settings' system app in the list, and then save it, the problem disappears.

Figured out that problem in my last own patch, it is fixed, but not released now. Yes, all is due NullPointerException and fixed.

I've also been having 'gapps' dying a lot in the background, but again I'm yet to grab logcats for that so I'm not sure what it is.
Anyway, those are my first steps, and I'll keep looking to gather logcats and try to puzzle out what is causing the crashes.
Hmm, sounds curious, because on my device nothing crashes.

Anyway, keep up the good work. =)

Just working on privacy Telephones and other nice features, which are going more depth then before.:cowboy:

Reactions: lopman and oskarpp3

mcmanuf

Aug 13, 2009
Collaboration with mateorod and pastime1971?

Hello CollegeDev.
I would like to thank you for your huge effort in porting pdroid.

Your development got me thinking of you joining forces with mateorod and pastime1971 in this thread, and I have already read that you are collaborating, from one of the previous posts :)

However what I dont understand is that your work is not exactly the same as the other group.
From one of your previous posts it SEEMED like you had done a better job than the other guys:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1770765
Hey guys,

this is a port of PDroid v1.32 based on pastime1971 patch. All credits goes to CM9 Team, Svyat and also pastime1971 for his port, because I had no time to do it on my own.

I modified source code to get full working for ICS without any issues. Features:
No java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException
No android.database.sqlite.SQLiteMisuseException
No FC's of PDroid
No java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
No *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS
No NullPointerException
No random SOFTREBOOTS anymore!

Do did I understand it correctly that mateorod and pastime1971 have done a "inferiour" work than yours, and therefore their script is NOT the same as yours?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1719408

Please help me out with the confusion, as I dont really know which thread is the "best" or the one I should bet my money on :)

(BTW running Slim ICS 4.2 (aosp rom) on my Galaxy S2 i9100)

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Hello CollegeDev.

Your development got me thinking of you joining forces with mateorod and pastime1971 in this thread, and I have already read that you are collaborating, from one of the previous posts :)

However what I dont understand is that your work is not exactly the same as the other group.
From one of your previous posts it SEEMED like you had done a better job than the other guys:

Do did I understand it correctly that mateorod and pastime1971 have done a "inferiour" work than yours, and therefore their script is NOT the same as yours?

Please help me out with the confusion, as I dont really know which thread is the "best" or the one I should bet my money on :)

First of all, thank you:)

It is a little bit difficult to explain what is goin on now. First time I wanted to upgrade my device from GB to ICS, but not without PDroid :laugh: . I found the patch from pastime and mateorod and used it, but it didn't work for me because of all that exception listed above in your post. Then I went through, wrote a test environment and figured out the problem. After that I fixed also some leaks of PDroid and added new features (Camera, Microphone, Wifi and so on ..), because I like privacy :cowboy:

After a(or some) user(s) asked for including PDroidAddon to auto_patcher I wrote a little bit with pastime about PDroid, the Addon and bugfixes. He asked me if he can catch a peace of code from me to improve their script too. Matereod wrotes in his thread:

Improved the port of PDroid! Pastime1971 started this project by bringing PDroid to ICS. A big thanks to CollegeDev, who added some stability to the program for JB and ICS. His PDroid Add-on is a cool project, we will be talking to him about how to continue to improve the security of our Android devices.

The port to JB is completly on my own and I haven't compared the patch from pastime with my source until now, because I have not so much time at the moment.

Today, I don't know if the patch (ICS) from pastime and mateorod is the same like mine, but both are very similar to PDroidBasic (that means without all my new fixes and addons). I think pastime and mateorod do a great Job, because they spread out PDroid to more devices and ROMs than I do, but basically if you are able to compile you can use this patch with little modifyings for a lot of ROMs.

..., and therefore their script is NOT the same as yours?

The patch in first post is definitely not same same as their script, because it included all my new features for PDroid. With this patch you're able to use my PDroidAddon and the other features.

Yes, it seems to be that many people run on that rom, because I got some PM's for users who asked me if I'm willing to port my Addon and PDroid to this ROM.

FFU5y

Feb 3, 2011
Many thanks for bug-report. Did you add the picture in /system/media ? ...
I tested again on my tab, and it worked fine using the default camera app; I think it was a case of pebcak. Once I've sorted the null pointer (straightforward, but just waiting for recompile) I'll grab some more camera-using apps and test better. Unfortunately, someone's commit broke building for my phone, and I still tracking down what change it was, so it isn't getting any testing atm.

Hmm, sounds curious, because on my device nothing crashes.

Yeah, it is again related to that same null pointer exception in PrivacyWifiManager.getConnectionInfo, so will be taken care of by your existing fix. Once my temp fix rebuilds, then I will be able to test more.

Just working on privacy Telephones and other nice features, which are going more depth then before.:cowboy:

Excellent.

I900-Nutzer

Oct 14, 2008
Hi CollegeDev!

Any Idea / ETA when the "ready patcher" (for ICS - no need for JB :) ) will be available?

Thx

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Hi CollegeDev!

Any Idea / ETA when the "ready patcher" (for ICS - no need for JB :) ) will be available?

Thx

I'm in vacation, but pastime and matereod released a patch. Please note that there are some bugs in this version, like you have to open android system and save rules for it in PDroid main application, otherwise your wifimanager will crash. I fixed all this bugs but now i'm in vacation and there is no possibility to release new source, so please wait.

@People who test my version now:

You need PDroid and PDroidAddon from my app thread after patching your rom. Just feel free to report bugs and post logcat, so that i'm able to fix it. JB version will come soon (I'm running on JB and it works like a charm:cowboy:)

I900-Nutzer

Oct 14, 2008
Hi CollegeDev!

It took me a few Days and around 10 full "repo syncs" but since yesterday i am able to build my own CM from Source :victory: Currently setting up my Note from Source and - as far i can say till now - everything works perfect. Bevore i used Asylums ICS v20 patched with Patch 1.6.0. Works good so far but using Google Maps was almost impossible (FC Maps / PDroid).

Beside this i set for every SYS-App where it's possilbe DeviceID, PhoneNumber, SIM-Serial, SubscriberID, NetworkLokation and GPSLocation to random - dont know if this make Sense but i feel safer :cool: On a patched ROM this brakes the Phone. On the compiled ROM everything still works with this setting :eek:

So i am really happy; learned something and have a fully working, PDroid - powered CM-ROM :laugh:

Greetings

Last edited:

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Hi CollegeDev!

It took me a few Days and around 10 full "repo syncs" but since yesterday i am able to build my own CM from Source :victory: Currently setting up my Note from Source and - as far i can say till now - everything works perfect. Bevore i used Asylums ICS v20 patched with Patch 1.6.0. Works good so far but using Google Maps was almost impossible (FC Maps / PDroid).

Beside this i set for every SYS-App where it's possilbe DeviceID, PhoneNumber, SIM-Serial, SubscriberID, NetworkLokation and GPSLocation to random - dont know if this make Sense but i feel safer :cool: On a patched ROM this brakes the Phone. On the compiled ROM everything still works with this setting :eek:

So i am really happy; learned something and have a fully working, PDroid - powered CM-ROM :laugh:

Greetings

Good news at all. In few weeks I will release more features like SMS send control and CallPhone control and a lot of new bug fixes.
Please, post the logcat of the FC from GoogleMaps, then I will fix it after my vacation. You can block all, and all will work like a charm, normally :cowboy:

sadan23

Dec 10, 2011
Hell Year.
Love this script. But only brought it run (with auto-patcher) on 4.0.4 from a friend. won't run on my galaxy nexus (maguro) aokp jb.
Please add jb support soon :)
but the rest is real cool.

bonanza123

Nov 11, 2007
'schland
Hey CollegeDev,

thanks for your awesome work. Can you make a fresh build for SGS2 with CM10 and the current experimental? I think there was not so much respone on your provided build because most user already have the newest build installed and then dont want to got back to an older build for pdroid. Especially for me it was the case that i went back to your provided build and several apps crashed on the startup, but I wasnt sure if its because of pdroid or because i went back to an older build version. So i decided to wait for a more recent pdroid build by you, but there wasn any, so I didnt give any feedback.

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Hell Year.
Love this script. But only brought it run (with auto-patcher) on 4.0.4 from a friend. won't run on my galaxy nexus (maguro) aokp jb.
Please add jb support soon :)
but the rest is real cool.

Many thanks, I'm working on lot of more features to improve privacy, but now I'm in vacation. Will update some features after my vacation. I'm currently running myself on JB and all works great :good:

Hey CollegeDev,

thanks for your awesome work. Can you make a fresh build for SGS2 with CM10 and the current experimental? I think there was not so much respone on your provided build because most user already have the newest build installed and then dont want to got back to an older build for pdroid. Especially for me it was the case that i went back to your provided build and several apps crashed on the startup, but I wasnt sure if its because of pdroid or because i went back to an older build version. So i decided to wait for a more recent pdroid build by you, but there wasn any, so I didnt give any feedback.

Yes, I will release it soon, but it takes a while because I have to develop my work on same version. Some framework changings from CM-Team breaks down all my stuff and I can port again. Porting is easy but cost time and I have no time :D But I can upload my own build for people who like to test and report (with logcat) what is going wrong :good:

Several apps? What for apps, I will look at it!

@ Reader of this thread:

I spent lot of time to fix known bugs and included new features/bugfixes/privacy enhancement to PDroid. Next version will bump up a lot! :cowboy:

Reactions: tensid

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
Can't you just put the AddOn into PDroid itself and release it as a complete package? Would be cool..

Yes, it is possible, but I need the source code of the application to do it.

If there is a volunteer outside who has time and the knowledge: please rewrite svyats application (only the gui part) then send me eclipse Project and i will do the rest (ipc, databases etc). Then we have a full new pdroid application where I can continously add my new features.

The problem is that I haven't enough time to rewrite svyats application. For me it is more useful to improve and extend pdroid.

Reactions: SecUpwN

FFU5y

Feb 3, 2011
Many thanks, I'm working on lot of more features to improve privacy, but now I'm in vacation. Will update some features after my vacation. I'm currently running myself on JB and all works great :good:
Hope you're enjoying the vacation =).
With CM9 for Defy, and for A500, once those null pointer errors were sorted PDroidAddon seemed to work fine - but I didn't test a wide range of apps before switching to CM10.
I've got CM10 builds for my phone working now (the actual CM10 is not by me, but by Quarx, Epsylon3 and others), so can patch/build it with PDroidAddon when you feel the JB patches are ready to release.
In the interim, experimenting with the CM10 PDroid from pastime1971, as well as very slowly working on/experimenting towards a PDroid app replacement for doing configuration. Seriously, though, slow going - time starved and have done basically no Android app development before.

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Yes, it is possible, but I need the source code of the application to do it.

If there is a volunteer outside who has time and the knowledge: please rewrite svyats application (only the gui part) then send me eclipse Project and i will do the rest (ipc, databases etc). Then we have a full new pdroid application where I can continously add my new features.
Found the PDroid source on Google Code.
Does this help you for merging both?

CollegeDev

Jun 28, 2012
@CollegeDev: still on vacation? Sitting on needles waiting for the upcoming, bugfixed version :good:

I'm now out of vacation, but I need time, because the next few weeks are very stressful :rolleyes:
It is possible to update the patches now, but I'm working on complete new things and want to release all in one. If there are enough people who want JB support NOW, I'm willing to update the patches.
I'm writing complete new features and lots of other new things (I don't want to say more until now :D ). If you can wait you will be rewarded, believe in me!:cowboy: :laugh:

testman86

Mar 23, 2012
Keep this App UP, really, its one, what do I say, for me the MOST important App for Android. Privacy is really important! Thanks again for you hard work! :)

Reactions: SecUpwN

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

here it is, the beta realase of PDroidAddon for managing Camera and Microphone permissions. First of all: Big thanks to Svyat who developed the main application.
    Please note: I'm not responsible for any damages on your device if you use my software. The app is not fault tolerant, so don't use it if you do not know what to do and how to install it.

screenshot201207242129063ORT9.png
    screenshot20120724212918319XK.png
    screenshot20120724212928UB0KW.png
    screenshot20120724213040AMVYE.png
    networksettingsQRJ1D.png
    wlansettings7PC86.png

UPDATE to v1.1, PDroid goes more secure:
    1. Fixed leaking of android_id for most applications, but not for google (they store the android_id in privacy db -> will fix that later, because it is much more work than I thought). Android_id will randomly generated. No, there is no option to block it, because otherwise your phone will not boot anymore ;) You can fake your android_id in main PDroid application if you choose the option: "Sim Info" and then block it
    2. Fixed leaking of cell location and signal strength. You can block this in main application if you choose: "Network Location" or "GPS location" option. If you check one of this options (random or block), cell location will be blocked.

UPDATE to v1.2, PDroid goes more and more secure:
    1. Fixed leaking of privacy data
    2. added feature for Wifi-Privacy. You can block all wifi information without any crashes of application if you use the option: "Network Info" and then select "block". Be aware of using this option! If you block system applications you can get problems with adding new wifi networks, because the system doesn't get any scan-results.
    3. be also aware with android_id blocking, some apps will not start if you use this option! Implemented in option "Sim Info" in main application!
    4. Minor bugfixes of pdroid
    5. Added functions for voicemail number (some applications were able to get it via hidden methods) -> no leaking of data
    6. Added feature to block phone_type and network_type (e.g. phone type: CDMA, SIP networ type: HSDPA, etc). It is also implemented in in option "Network Info" in main application
    7. If you install v1.2 just use the patches in attachment, no filecopy needed anymore

UPDATE: PDROID and PDROIDADDON now supports JellyBean:
    • PDroid and my Addon now supports jellybean. Patches will come out later, build for galaxys 2 is available.

Requirements:
    • Rooted Phone
    • ClockworkMod Recovery
    • If you integrated sys Dalvik into ROM with Titanium Backup, you will have to undo it
    • knowlegde about compiling your own rom, until ready patcher is out
    • ICS based ROM (e.g. CM9, because patch based on CM9)
    Installation Instruction(for own compiling)::
    1) Do sync
    2) Apply the patches in attachment[files in patches.rar], Please note that patches not tested, if any failure -> contact me:
    patch -p1 < ~/build.diff
    patch -p1 < ~/libcore.diff
    patch -p1 < ~/frameworks.diff
    3) Copy the following files[Files in archive replacements.rar] and overwrite them:
    AudioRecord.java and MediaRecorder.java to -> yourdir/frameworks/base/java/android/media/AudioRecord.java & MediaRecorder.java
    Camera.java to -> yourdir/frameworks/base/core/java/android/hardware/Camera.java
    MicrophoneInputStream.java to -> yourdir/frameworks/base/core/java/android/speech/srec/MicrophoneInputStream.java
    If you use v1.2, just apply patches:good:
    4) go to source tree: yourdir/device/your_manufacturer(e.g.samsung)/your_device_model/your_device.mk and edit the file(your_device.mk) adding following:
    # Secure Fake Image
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    privacy/PDroid.jpeg:system/media/PDroid.jpeg
    5) create directory in your source tree yourdir/privacy <- "privacy" is the new directory and copy the PDroid.jpeg (see ATTACHED THUMBNAILS) in this folder -> yourdir/privacy/PDroid.jpeg. For people who don't compile on their own, make sure that PDroid.jpeg is in system/media/ !
    6) Compile the source:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    brunch your_device
    7) Flash the *.zip
    8) Deinstall PDroid.apk if it already exist in your system (you can save all settings with Titanium Backup and after that restore it)
    9) Install PDroid.apk and PDroidAddon.apk from archive Apps.rar
    10) Restor settings from PDroid with Titanium Backup. If you don't have that app, just copy files manually!
    11) Have fun!

About the Application:
    This application allows you to block Camera and Microphone permission of all applications listed inside. It is an Addon app for PDroid and interacts with it. It works in black_list_mode, that means -> Above you can see camera and microphone icon. If you check the checkbox of an app you will block permissions

How to use the App:
    1) Start the application from Launcher
    2) Select preference button from your device and click "Reload Applications" (normally not needed)
    3) Select all checkboxes from apps you want to revoke permissions
    4) Select preference button from your device and click "Apply Rules"
    5) Ready -> all settings are stored now and interacts with pdroid

Known Bugs::
    • After you change settings of the same application with original PDroid, settings for microphone and camera permission will be deleted -> go to addon application and click "Apply Rules" and all works fine.
    • Microphone Stream of origin Phone app can not interrupt with this version
    • Some Applications crash if you revoke Camera permission and it wants to take a video, but it depends on application and if dev surround his code with try/catch
    • If you revoke permissions of stock camera -> FC in Face-Unlock
    • Data access Toast doesn't show which permission blocked (camera, microphone)

READY BUILDS:
    Until now there is only a ready build available for Samsung Galaxys S2 CM9. If you own that device, just flash the following *.zip from Recovery and skip the installation instructions to point 8(Deinstall origin PDroid.apk.....)
    Tons of downloads, no response if it works -> down!

JELLY BEAN BUILDS:
    Just flash zip and install PDroid.apk and PDroidAddon.apk from this thread and have fun!
    Tons of downloads, no response if it works -> down!

BUG REPORT RULES:
    • Do not say : "it doesn't work, fix it!" -> post LogCat and I will have a look
    • This is a beta Version of the app, but works like a charm on my own device. I don't know if it works perfectly on all devices, so please test it

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK DONATE A BEER :eek:
    Hello CollegeDev.

First of all, thank you:)

It is a little bit difficult to explain what is goin on now. First time I wanted to upgrade my device from GB to ICS, but not without PDroid :laugh: . I found the patch from pastime and mateorod and used it, but it didn't work for me because of all that exception listed above in your post. Then I went through, wrote a test environment and figured out the problem. After that I fixed also some leaks of PDroid and added new features (Camera, Microphone, Wifi and so on ..), because I like privacy :cowboy:

After a(or some) user(s) asked for including PDroidAddon to auto_patcher I wrote a little bit with pastime about PDroid, the Addon and bugfixes. He asked me if he can catch a peace of code from me to improve their script too. Matereod wrotes in his thread:

Improved the port of PDroid! Pastime1971 started this project by bringing PDroid to ICS. A big thanks to CollegeDev, who added some stability to the program for JB and ICS. His PDroid Add-on is a cool project, we will be talking to him about how to continue to improve the security of our Android devices.

The port to JB is completly on my own and I haven't compared the patch from pastime with my source until now, because I have not so much time at the moment.

Today, I don't know if the patch (ICS) from pastime and mateorod is the same like mine, but both are very similar to PDroidBasic (that means without all my new fixes and addons). I think pastime and mateorod do a great Job, because they spread out PDroid to more devices and ROMs than I do, but basically if you are able to compile you can use this patch with little modifyings for a lot of ROMs.

..., and therefore their script is NOT the same as yours?

The patch in first post is definitely not same same as their script, because it included all my new features for PDroid. With this patch you're able to use my PDroidAddon and the other features.

Yes, it seems to be that many people run on that rom, because I got some PM's for users who asked me if I'm willing to port my Addon and PDroid to this ROM.
    Hi CollegeDev!

Greetings

Good news at all. In few weeks I will release more features like SMS send control and CallPhone control and a lot of new bug fixes.
    Please, post the logcat of the FC from GoogleMaps, then I will fix it after my vacation. You can block all, and all will work like a charm, normally :cowboy:
    First of all, I'm back:good:
    I will release my new features for JB in the next few days:cowboy:

CollegeDev: Is there any major change to the interaction between the service and the manager app? Just checking because I'm working on a new manager app (to replace the original PDroid app), and I'm wondering if I should be holding off until you release the core changes before doing too much more.

It depends on what you will support in future, PDroid's functions itself or my features too. But general communication should be the same.

"JELLY BEAN BUILDS:
    Just flash zip and install PDroid.apk and PDroidAddon.apk from this thread and have fun!"

I am on this CM10 ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1826747

I want to show the community your PDroid version with the fixes you listed. I think on a free OS everyone should care about privacy. So I want to give them a fixed flashable .zip to convince them. :) You write:

"Tons of downloads, no response if it works -> down!"

So is there a fixed .zip to flash or not? :) I am only asking, because I think your fixes only work if I flash the right patches which have your changes included.

Thanks in advanced! :)

Edit: I was not one of the persons who download the fix and test it and gave no feedback. I am seeing now that there was one, next time I should read the first post more often -.-

Yes, the fixed version is currently running on my own device ;) I will update all in the next few days with an flashable rom for galaxy s2.

JB isn't stable enough for me - for the next two months I need my S2 as a rockstable daily driver, lots of calendar reminders, calls and email.

A really good working ICS/CM9 Pdroid build would be a dream. Otherwise I have to wait until JB is stable enough.

@collegedev:

I downloaded the CM9 build in the first post where it was still avaiable, got a lot of FCs on settings.apk and phone.apk.

Wanted to try again after a really clean full wipe including a formatted internal SD . Then there was no ROM to try again because I saved it to internal SD :eek: So no more testing for me (yes, call me the idiot I am :laugh: ) and unfortunately no logs.

That sounds curious, but it could be that you're in cdma mode. This is one of the "not tested" part of my changings. I will update in few days with flashable zip and source. Hopefully you will give me nice logs if there are some bugs :p

Wow. real nice work. but i can't test ics. dont want switch back and have no old backup. so if you make a patch or source for jb. i would give you feetback so good as i can.
    ng sadan with a galaxy nexus under 4.1.1 aokp 1

Nice to hear this. Just wait few days.
    @CollegeDev: still on vacation? Sitting on needles waiting for the upcoming, bugfixed version :good:

I'm now out of vacation, but I need time, because the next few weeks are very stressful :rolleyes:
    It is possible to update the patches now, but I'm working on complete new things and want to release all in one. If there are enough people who want JB support NOW, I'm willing to update the patches.
    I'm writing complete new features and lots of other new things (I don't want to say more until now :D ). If you can wait you will be rewarded, believe in me!:cowboy: :laugh: