SOLVED!!! - 3 Ring Delay before Ringtone & Volume Fixed!

Search This thread

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Windows Mobile 5 - Ringing Delay Patch

This CAB File will correct the very annoying, but very common problem of the 3 second Ringing Delay for Windows Mobile Phones.

Now updated to use NORMAL, LOUDER, and INSANELY LOUD source WAV files to make sure you hear the RINGS !!!

Now updated to force the Ring Volume to the Maximum Level (needs additional manual help) !!!

You will now have your phone RING just after or maybe even WITHIN THE FIRST RING the caller hears, and with some help from you, the Ring Volume will be as LOUD as POSSIBLE for your device.

There is only ONE caveat in using this CAB file and your phone ...

In order to benefit from the (nearly) instant ringing time, you will NEED to convert ANY and ALL Ringtones you want to use into WAV format. Using ANY other format will re-introduce the 3 second/rings delay.

This CAB contains the default Rings converted to WAV files, and 'corrects' a number of registry entries so that these rings are directly available.

By default, your default Ring will be changed to "OldPhone". Test it first using this setting, and then feel free to change it to any other WAV file.

NOTE: There are TWO versions of the CAB file I've created:

1). Contains only the required registry changes for WAV playback improvements, and leaves the device power management intact. [ WM5_RingDelay_Patch.cab ]

2). Contains additional Power Management entries to keep the WAV device in a low-power, but not 'disabled' state for fast wakeup. This may use more battery power, but will ensure fast playback. [ WM5_RingDelay_Patch_PM.cab ]

This CAB WILL now work for people having problems on all WM5 devices "out of the box", and you can OPTIONALLY change your volumes to maximum yourself.
(Blue Angel, Universal, Wizard, Exec, Atom, etc.)

NOTE: You will NEED to soft-reset your device in order for the registry changes to take effect!

Remember ... you MUST use a WAV file as your Ringtone!

__________________________________________________________________________________

How to set your device to have the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM Ring Tone Volume !!!

I have (now) learned the HARD WAY, that there are an infinite number of ways even the same manufacturer like HTC can make every single phone different. This is especially true even if on all the HTC phones I own, the settings are all identical, other models WILL be different!

This revised post is now my way of apologising for the problematic release of the previous patch, and to provide even more benefit to all devices. I'm very sorry for anyone who has Hard-Reset their device in the meantime to recover from this. Here is the FIX!

To set the audio layer to the loudest possible value for Rings (and/or to fix things from the earlier CABs I released), you will need to MANUALLY set the Attenuation preset to the one which has the LOUDEST possible volume setting on your phone. To determine this, you will need to search through the Registry and find the appropriate preset corresponding to the Attenuation category, and then you will need to set some registry entries appropriately.

I had forced the AttenuationCategory to what I thought was the correct value, but this appears to cause problems on other devices. So sorry!!!

*** When you've found out all the details, please POST your findings along with your device make/model in the forum for others to use.

STEP 1:

First you will need to go to the following key in the Registry:
(NOTE: The actual value in the key may be different depending on your model.)
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AUDIOGAIN]
    "SPEAKER_UPLINK_VOLUME"=hex:10

Remember the value you have in this key ... But DO NOT CHANGE IT!!!

You will then see a number of entries following, which have "AUDIOGAIN0", "AUDIOGAIN1", "AUDIOGAIN2", etc.

You now need to find the ""AUDIOGAIN#" which has the HIGHEST or a DIFFERENT value for "SPEAKER_UPLINK_VOLUME".
This is a BINARY value, so I can only presume it is for bit-setting of amplifier gains within the device.

*** For my Blue Angel this value is located in the subkey "AUDIOGAIN2".
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\AUDIOGAIN2]
    "SPEAKER_UPLINK_VOLUME"=hex:19

Now, this may (or will) be different and probably different hardware so these keys may or may not exist.

DON'T WORRY - We still can FIX everything even without this information!
If you do have the time, please find the corresponding reference elements for your device, and post the information here for everyone.

STEP 2:

Now you need to go to the corresponding USER level Attenuation setting, and change that one appropriately to maximum!

In my example case above - this would require me to first use setting "2" for Maximum Volume (i.e. the Ringer).
Also, now that I know Attenuation setting #2 is the loudest, I will change this to be the maximum volume of "5".

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Attenuation]
    "0"=dword:0
    "1"=dword:1
    "2"=dword:5

Here is where you can CHANGE things, even if you DON'T know the right Attenuation setting to modify from the above information.

If you change them ALL to the maximum value of "5", you have just increased the gain levels for ALL possible settings (Ring, Phone, InCall, Notify, etc.). This will only result in larger steps in your volume when you change it. (i.e. a HIGHER Maximum Volume - but still only 5 steps, and MUTE).

Now also, remember how MANY Attenuation Categories you have ... this is useful if you have to 'GUESS' which one to use for the next step.

STEP 3:

Go into the Sound Category which you want to modify. In our case with Ring Tones, these two entries are aptly named:

For the Ring:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring]
    "AttenuationCategory"=dword:2
    "InitVol"=dword:5

For the Ring Preview:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\RingPreview]
    "AttenuationCategory"=dword:1

There are various other entries available for "Feedback", "InCall", and also "VoiceCommand1" (*** Yes you can make EVERYTHING LOUD!)

The entries you will need to modify are "AttenuationCategory" and "InitVol".
Always set "InitVol" to be 5 (maximum), and set "AttenuationCategory" to be the value you determined above.

In case you DON'T know the value from the above, you will need to try them all. My GUT feeling is that the HIGHEST "AttenuationCategory" will be the loudest. Most people when specifying things in hardware will probably do it that way, but you should probably try them all to find the best one.

The good news is that a soft-reset is NOT required to go through and test them all. Simply change the setting, wait a moment, and call your phone. You will then hear the volume level of the ring appropriately. Go through them all and find the LOUDEST one to use. That's your "AttenuationCategory" number.

NOTE: By default the "RingPreview" is using a STANDARD "AttenuationCategory", not the RINGER "AttenuationCategory". You can change this to your liking as well, and you can change any and ALL of your other "AttenuationCategory" and "InitVol" settings too.

If you want to have the LOUDEST possible volume ranges for EVERY possible element of your phone, set all "AttenuationCategory" values to be the one you determined is the loudest for the Ringing, set all "InitVol" values to be "5", and set all "Attenuation" entries to be "5".

STEP 4:

Pat yourself on the back for having the LOUDEST phone out there.

__________________________________________________________________________________

For Blue Angel:
Code:

For Himalaya:
Code:
    "3"=dword:1

These were the same on BOTH of my devices, so I presumed they would be identical for all other devices. This is definitely NOT the case as we have determined. Again, my apologies to those early "beta" testers, but you can fix it now!!!

Please post your findings and results here for EVERYONE to benefit from them.

P.S> Blue Angel users can check out the new TuMa v1.3 ROM as well ...
http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=42632
The patch can be applied to this ROM too, which will patch ALL of the default rings to LOUDER ones.
Also, the same procedure can be used to raise any and all of the volumes to the maximum possible.

Attachments

• wm5_ringdelay_patch_pm-v1.2.zip
    346.6 KB · Views: 2,174
  • wm5_ringdelay_patch_loudest-v1.2.zip
    388.7 KB · Views: 3,446
  • wm5_ringdelay_patch_loud-v1.2.zip
    358.4 KB · Views: 2,437
  • wm5_ringdelay_patch_normal-v1.2.zip
    346.4 KB · Views: 5,169

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
Great !!
It works fine,but the sound volume is very weak.
How to increase the volume.??

Edit
After installing version1.2 cab it absolutely works fine,Thanks.

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
vivi said:
Great !!
It works fine,but the sound volume is very weak.
How to increase the volume.??

Please try downloading the updated version. I've made the source WAV files louder (really to maximum). While my WMA to WAV conversion was probably adequate, I've now compressed/limited the WAVs for maximum output level and replaced them in the CABs.

Also, please ensure that the output volumes are at maximum. These updated WAVs should be loud enough, but if not then there is another problem with output volume which needs to be found.

Fix one thing ... but somehow there is always another issue ... *sigh* :roll:

Diggia

Jul 9, 2005
Rome
www.diggia.it
Good news.
I've just taken the cab and now I try this trick
Is this cab working with Wav files only ?
No WMA ? :cry:
Thanks to all :wink:

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
Make the loudest possible WAV files ...

BTW: For your Ringtone ... ensure that it is FIRST amplified to the MAXIMUM volume possible.

Use Audacity (or similar), and then amplify the volume, and preferably do some soft limiting/compression on it to make it as loud as possible.

Then convert it to MONO, 16Bit, and if possible reduce the sampling rate to 11050Hz (11kHz).

While the quality will SUCK for listening ... as a LOUD volume Ringtone, it really doesn't matter that much when it's ringing in your pocket. 8)

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
How to get Louder than LOUD Ringtones ...

[Post deleted since it was TOTAL mis-information and absolute bull$hit]

There is NO "InitVol" setting which can go above the maximum of 5.
Don't even bother trying to say otherwise. It's an "Urban Legend".

taurus_bull2005

Jan 7, 2006
Re: How to get Louder than LOUD Ringtones ...

Tuatara said:
Ok, since there are some of you who have some QUIET RING volume problems with the CAB file, here is a way to get LOUDER than LOUD ring tones. This will hopefully solve your problems, but will require Registry Editing to achieve.

Code:
Update the following registry entries to set the Volume higher than it is possible by default:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Alarm]
"InitVol"=dword:00000009
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Reminder]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Notification]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\System]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\InCall]

Generally you'd only want to modify "Ring" and possibly "RingPreview". Those are the ONLY two keys modified by the CAB, so you can compare the other key values to what they need to be on your phone.

Let me know if this has any success for those of you with quiet rings. It's possible that the Andes has different volume settings or issues.

The default maximum (generally allowable) value of "5" works perfectly on my Himalaya, and on the Blue Angel. It should be the same for all other devices, but then again ... M$ and OEMs in their infinite wisdom ...

Does not work??

taurus_bull2005

Jan 7, 2006
Re: SOLVED!!! - Annoying 3 second Ringing Delay

Tuatara said:
Windows Mobile 5 - Ringing Delay Patch

This CAB File will correct the very annoying, but very common problem of the 3 second Ringing Delay for Windows Mobile Phones.

Now updated to use LOUDER source WAV files !!!

You will now have your phone RING just after or maybe even WITHIN THE FIRST RING the caller hears!

There is only ONE caveat in using this CAB file and your phone ...

In order to benefit from the (nearly) instant ringing of your phone, you will NEED to convert ANY and ALL Ringtones you want to use into WAV format.

Using ANY other format will probably re-introduce the 3 second delay.

This CAB contains the default Rings converted to WAV files, and 'corrects' a number of registry entries so that these rings are directly available.

By default, your default Ring will be changed to "OldPhone". Test it first using this setting, and then feel free to change it to any other WAV file.

NOTE: There are TWO versions of the CAB file I've created:

1). Contains only the required registry changes for WAV playback improvements, and leaves the device power management intact. [ WM5_RingDelay_Patch.cab ]

2). Contains additional Power Management entries to keep the WAV device in a low-power, but not 'disabled' state for fast wakeup. This may use more battery power, but will ensure fast playback. [ WM5_RingDelay_Patch_PM.cab ]

This CAB should work for people having problems on all WM5 devices.
(Blue Angel, Universal, Wizard, Exec, Atom, etc.)

NOTE: You will NEED to soft-reset your device in order for the registry changes to take effect!

Remember ... you MUST use a WAV file as your Ringtone!

P.S> Blue Angel users can check out the new TuMa v1.2 ROM as well ...
http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=42632
The patch can be applied to this ROM as well, to patch ALL of the default rings, not just the "LoudOldPhone" default.

Does not work upgraded the Cab file Cheers, Taurus

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
Dear Tuatara,
It works fine, my XdaII rings just after or even WITHIN THE FIRST RING the caller hears as you said.
But the volume still too low,I change the registries as you wrote,not work.I also use Nero wave editor to increase it volume but the file is very big and quality is very poor.
Hard resetting 2 times today to gain the volume and use old wma.
Can you edit to use old wma or mp3 as ringtone? I think the quality of old wma is better.
Regards,
vivi

Edit After installing version1.2 cab it absolutely works fine,Thanks.

RobSPVM2000

Nov 30, 2005
Quiert Ring tone

Well I installed the 2nd version of the file. Yeah it rang almost right away, however it was sooooooo quiet it was useless. So I just uninstalled the file and went back to the standays one. Ide rather wait 2 secconds and be able to hear it, then have it right right away and not hear it !!.

RobSPVM2000

Nov 30, 2005
LOW VOLUME RING TONE

AHHGGGG, I have totaly uninstalled the 3 seccond ring tone fix but my phone still has a realy poor low volume ring tone now. What do i do to get it loaud again. I dont have any way to change the registry files, so I cant do that !!. What do i do ???

Thankyou
Rob

RobSPVM2000

Nov 30, 2005
LOW RINGING VOLUME

AHHGGGG, I have totaly uninstalled the 3 seccond ring tone fix but my phone still has a realy poor low volume ring tone now. What do i do to get it loaud again. I dont have any way to change the registry files, so I cant do that !!. What do i do ???

Thankyou
Rob

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
VOLUME LEVEL FIX IS AVAILABLE !!!

My apologies for this ...

I have NOW updated the FIRST post with all of the details for correcting and resetting the volume level on your phone.

It does mean some MANUAL registry editing, but once you've completed that you can have the LOUDEST Ring and Phone possible.

Again ... sorry for the problems, but that's what BETA testing is all about.

For those who don't have it ... here's the PHM Registry Editor ...

Good Luck!

Attachments

• phm_registry_editor_0.70.cab
    94.3 KB · Views: 464

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
Dear Tuatara,
Both cab can't be instaledl in my device.
Thanks

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
vivi said:
Dear Tuatara,
Both cab can't be instaledl in my device.
Thanks

ARRRGH! (damn, damn, damn, damn ... grrrr)

Right ... dumb, stupid mistake when assembling the CAB files for final versions. I've just had far too little sleep in the past few days.

I've uploaded NEW versions, and reset the download counters in the FIRST post again. This time, I've tested the final ones, and they are working.

PLEASE let me know if you've been able to reset your Ring Volume appropriately with the intructions in the post above. PM me if you have problems with it, since I don't want to cause people to Hard-Reset to try and recover from this - it is a very simple registry fix.

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!
WORKS!!!!!
No Registries edit,just only install new version WM5_RingDelay_Patch_PM.cab and Soft Restet.
Thanks Tuatara...

vivi
XdaII PH10B
WM5 2.00v 64WWE
Radio 1.18
Protocol 1337.38

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
Very strange!!!
It is too loud when using wav file in cab as Ringtone,so I try setting my mp3 as ringtone.The volume of mp3 ringtone is as equal as before install the cab,but it rings immediately as wav!!!!
Any idea ???

Edit After installing version1.2 cab it absolutely works fine,Thanks.

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
vivi said:
GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!
WORKS!!!!!
No Registries edit,just only install new version WM5_RingDelay_Patch_PM.cab and Soft Restet.
Thanks Tuatara...

vivi
XdaII PH10B
WM5 2.00v 64WWE
Radio 1.18
Protocol 1337.38

Right ... *whew*wipes*brow* ... that is GREAT news. This means that the CAB will now work for everyone WITHOUT any registry changes!!!

If you DO want your device to have a Ring Tone which is as LOUD as possible (or if you need to fix things from my previous 'bad' CAB), then you OPTIONALLY can set up your device to have the loudest settings possible. This would effectively make the loudest volume on your device the same maximum volume used for "Handsfree" operation.

At least now the 3 ring delay on WM5 devices can be properly eliminated!

But remember ... use only WAV files ... so convert those Ring Tones!

For your conversions, you CAN use any MONO, 16 bit WAV file from 8kHz to 48kHz sampling rate. Obviously, the smaller it is, the better the performance (has to load less data from your device/storage), so choose the lowest sampling rate which gives you a good sounding Ring Tone.

Another good thing to do is maximize the volume of the converted WAV file, and possibly use a Compressor/Limiter on it to further increase the output levels. A very good tool to use for this is COOL EDIT PRO, or for a freeware one, use AUDACITY. Both have the ability to make the Ring Tone as loud as possible without (much) distortion. This is what I have done to the default Ring Tones I included in the CAB, which should be VERY loud, and are also quite reasonably small.

Enjoy your responsive devices now ... no excuses anymore to miss those calls!

Tuatara

Oct 4, 2005
Auckland
vivi said:
Very strange!!!
It is too loud when using wav file in cab as Ringtone,so I try setting my mp3 as ringtone.The volume of mp3 ringtone is as equal as before install the cab,but it rings immediately as wav!!!!
Any idea ???

Maybe I've made the volumes in the WAV files 'too loud'! :D

But it's probably better having it 'too loud' than 'too quiet' ... I really have gone from one extreme to the other now. ;)

Anyways, I'd recommend to just turn down your 'Ring Volume' if it is too loud for you now. :!:

vivi

Sep 26, 2005
Some mp3 can ring immediately,some are 3 sec delay.
I think the size of file is the main problem.
I use 300 KB mp3,it rings immediately,but 600 KB mp3 delay.
I test while power off and mp3 ringtones are in root of RAMdisk.

This is only for info.