[Q] LG Ignite (AS855) = Optimus Black = Marquee?

Search This thread

alaskakeith

Alaska Communication Systems' newest offering, the LG Ignite (AS855) seems to be a device of many names.

As I seek out a ROM for this phone that will meet the "special" tethering needs of my Transformer Prime (TF201), I want to make sure that I proceed appropriately.

There seems to be next to nothing posted online about root, ROM etc for the LG Ignite.

1. Is this device identical to the LG Marquee and/or LG Optimus Black?

2. Since ROM Manager does not have a ClockworkMod Recovery for this device yet, what is the best way to safely install a custom ROM?

3. I am looking for a ROM that will provide native infrastructure WiFi broadcasting capability, any suggestions?

Here are some more specific specs:

Model Number
LG-AS855

Android Version

Baseband Version
AS855ZV2-M6600A-SCAUTSZ-3.0.40T

Kernel Version
lge@android-build #1

Build Number
GRJ22

SW Version
AS855ZV2

HW Version
Rev 1.0

SCR Version
AS855ZV2_ACS

alaskakeith

Yep. ACS runs a CDMA network up here... I didn't see any Marquee resources in the XDA Developers forums... I'm trying to be a good noob and phrase the right question in the right place...

If I could find a resource for Marquee's I could explore any existing information on WiFi/BT tethering there....

I'm sure the native wireless hotspot feature would probably work just fine if I paid the $20 additional per month to activate it; but since I've been able to successfully tether several other mobiles without provider activation, I thought it was too soon to give up on the Ignite/Marquee.

The weird thing is, I am able to successfully tether any windows-based device using WiFi Tether 3.0 v.11, but it won't show up in my list of networks on the TF201... I've read a few things that say this is because ICS doesn't work with ad hoc WiFi tethering, but even when tethering to a laptop the Ignite has always given a "ad hoc connection failed" alert when tethering ... So it's not overlooking it because it is broadcasting in ad hoc...

Craptorman

Apr 5, 2009
I have an AS855 with a different carrier but at all specs match yours. I used SuperOneClick to root mine.

Still no custom recovery for it that I can find. Probably won't find any ROMS until there's a recovery for it. I read somewhere that the Black, Marquee and Ignite are not the same when it comes to the boot and recovery partitions.

Reactions: alaskakeith

theestricknine

Feb 6, 2012
Craptorman,
I have the same specs as well. Is yours by chance Alltel? Ive tried everything I can to root, including SuperOneClick and to no avail. SOC just stops responding? Did you do anything special?

Craptorman

Apr 5, 2009
No not Altell, just a small local telephone coop carrier. First make sure you have the USB drivers etc loaded and have ADB working. Then I ran SOC v2.3.2.0, on Advanced tab I checked "Use alternative ADB Parser", set exploit to auto and then clicked the root button.

I saw a comment on SOC website where someone with same phone and specs succesfully rooted theirs so I tried it and it worked great.

Last edited:

theestricknine

Feb 6, 2012
Gotcha. Finally got mine to root last night. Had to manually instal l all the drivers in device manager. I wish they would release some roms now.

Sent from my LG-AS855 using XDA App

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
LG Ignite

I have the LG Ignite, exact same phone from Alltel. I have managed to root mine with SOC, after installing drivers from LG website. My knowledge beyound rooting is very little. I havent found any luck with Rom Manager, and anytime I have ever tried to get into the Factory Reset menu / Boot Loader, or even run a Rom Back up in Rom Manager it has totally wiped my phone's Rom/app's/Data and reset it as if was brand new in the box. although Root and Super User has always remained. I thought my Ignite and the Black were the exact same phones. I do not know what is different from CDMA and GSM other than the Radio's. If I have any understanding how any this works, you have a Rom, which is aOS, then you have a Boot partition and a Radio Rom, as well as I assume the other parts are Roms or Partitions holding data.

I would appreciate if someone would break the structure of things down for me.
My understanding is that you could download ICS source, and compile it along with the kernel like any Linux OS and choose drivers based on the Factory Rom. Or use the old Drivers and incorporate them into a new OS build. and I guess use the old or factory Radio file/data. Beyond software features and changes in file system structure and support, what controls the visual appearance of the phone's software or OS? would that be the Rom?

Craptorman

Apr 5, 2009
I found some info that may help but I can't post links yet. Just google "Re: LG Marquee has CWM recovery." and the first ones that come up should be what I had found.

PlayfulGod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2010
Dalton
I have an AS855 with a different carrier but at all specs match yours. I used SuperOneClick to root mine.

Still no custom recovery for it that I can find. Probably won't find any ROMS until there's a recovery for it. I read somewhere that the Black, Marquee and Ignite are not the same when it comes to the boot and recovery partitions.

I think I have one ready for testing, check your PM on UPP for what else I need. Found a few answers here in this thread.

Just need to know if this phone has an internel sdcard.

Was zergrush the exploit used to root?

And an output of

Code:
cat proc/mounts

And finally, do yall have a way to restore back to stock is case of a booboo? Like a .tot and its acompanying .dll file you can flash with LGNPST?

Last edited:

theestricknine

Feb 6, 2012
I wish I could answer these questions to speed up the development but they are way over my head. It does have a sdcard. Where can I learn more about the kernels, dlls, and etc?

Sent from my LG-AS855 powered by Alltel

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
I think I have one ready for testing, check your PM on UPP for what else I need. Found a few answers here in this thread.

Just need to know if this phone has an internel sdcard.

Was zergrush the exploit used to root?

And an output of

Code:
cat proc/mounts

And finally, do yall have a way to restore back to stock is case of a booboo? Like a .tot and its acompanying .dll file you can flash with LGNPST?

Zerglings were used for exploit. as for the other files i do not have or understand. But keep me informed of progress please, Im interested if we can get ICS compiled and running on our phones. Also if anyone knows of any updates too wireless as I find I ave to run a widget to disable Power management for wireless in order t get good solid connections to all wifi access points.

Craptorman

Apr 5, 2009

No I don't have those and not quite sure what that is. A little nervous to try it:D Anyone else with an Ignite AS855 up for trying it?;)

Hats off to PlayfulGod for working on this for us!

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Playful God,
If the phone is already rooted will that mess anything up trying to root again with the tools/zip you sent me?

PlayfulGod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2010
Dalton
No I don't have those and not quite sure what that is. A little nervous to try it:D Anyone else with an Ignite AS855 up for trying it?;)

Hats off to PlayfulGod for working on this for us!

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Playful God,
If the phone is already rooted will that mess anything up trying to root again with the tools/zip you sent me?

it shouldnt esp if what has been used to root is using zergrush as the exploit.

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
What is your test zip suppose to contain and what is it suppose todo? I have no issues rooting with superoneclick 2.2-x.x. using zerg rush as exploit.

Sent from my LG-AS855 using XDA App

Craptorman

Apr 5, 2009
Any attempts I've made causes auto recovery and wipes the phone.

Same here.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

What is your test zip suppose to contain and what is it suppose todo? I have no issues rooting with superoneclick 2.2-x.x. using zerg rush as exploit.

It is a CWM Recovery for the LGAS855 (Ignite). It roots the phone using the zerg rush method and then install the CWM Recovery. This Recovery allows you to make a nandroid back of your current rom (backup of everything basically). You can also install custom roms with it. You can also restore any backups of your rom that you made.

So if you flash a custom rom and something doesn't work, you can reboot into the CWM Recovery and restore the one that does work. Normal you can boot into the CWM Recovery with a button combinatation like power-volume down. My concern is that this button combination doesn't work and we would be stuck with it rebooting and resetting the phone each time.

I may be wrong on some of this. Maybe Playfulgod can shed some more light on this.:cool:

Top Liked Posts