How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

struong75

Jul 8, 2008
Hi All,

Anyone else having problems with Market after rooting? On mine, I just have the "Waiting to install" msg and nothing happens.

Thanks!

acer-usr

Apr 30, 2011
Hi All,

Anyone else having problems with Market after rooting? On mine, I just have the "Waiting to install" msg and nothing happens.

Thanks!
this happened to me as well. After a reboot I was able to install only free apps from the market. I'm getting an error "Sorry details page for this item cannot be found..."

I can however buy books from the market.
I'm a total noob on Android so I must be overlooking something.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Hi All,

Thanks!

Actually, I didn't root yet and I was getting that problem. it happens to me when i use advanced task killer to dump whatever's open. It must be dumping something that allows that to work correctly. If I restart my device, it works fine.

I'm also getting the only free apps in the store. Also, I can't expand the market tablet optimized app section either. That started today.

silkjones

Aug 1, 2007
this happened to me as well. After a reboot I was able to install only free apps from the market. I'm getting an error "Sorry details page for this item cannot be found..."

when you get that message hit the back button instead of hitting OK. You can also go to the market from the web browser on your tab and download the apps directly.

84z28

Apr 29, 2011
Rochester NY
I new to all of this rooting stuff. With out sounding like a retard. What does rooting accomplish and what does it make better on the tablet ? I just got my wife the A500 for mothers day.

Slowie911

Jul 17, 2009
Warrington
Hi and welcome

in its basic form rooting gives you total control over the device. it allows you to theme and install apps which would not normally work. but my advice is if its your wifes then she may not want to mess around with this sort of thing as most of what your wife will be doing will be simple gaming and internet browsing and she probably wouldnt care about overclocking the device. thats how my miss's is anyways as long as she can play angry birds and browse the web shes happy.

Reactions: 84z28

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Hi and welcome

in its basic form rooting gives you total control over the device. it allows you to theme and install apps which would not normally work. but my advice is if its your wifes then she may not want to mess around with this sort of thing as most of what your wife will be doing will be simple gaming and internet browsing and she probably wouldnt care about overclocking the device. thats how my miss's is anyways as long as she can play angry birds and browse the web shes happy.

well, don't jump ahead...rooting gets rid of ads...that's enough to make anyone want it...

struong75

Jul 8, 2008
Hi,

Actually, it had nothing to do with rooting I believe. I uninstalled an app called "My Applications" and restarted Market and it works again.

Thanks,

Sam.

Originally Posted by struong75
Hi All,

Thanks!

T0yman

Apr 28, 2011

The only force closes I get are apps that are not made for this version of Android, apps that were installed prior to root access still function with no problems. Plus I have installed probably 15 more since rooting and only 2 give force close but they were made for Android 2.2 and I found an alternate that worked fine. I hope this helps.

tomlogan1

Oct 29, 2007
app does not install

I have tried the steps as presented and app will not install. Any tips?

Thanks.

Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277

T0yman

Apr 28, 2011

Make sure you place a SD card in the extra slot or it will not install, that held me up for a while.
Place the extra card in the SD slot and reboot the A500. Then run the app and select root. Once it reboots you can remove the extra SD card. I just borrowed one from another phone it does not write anything to it that is needed once the root is applied.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)