• No

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

eraste

Aug 5, 2011
Griffin, Ga
www.emblwpdesign.com
I can no longer support this thread. I apologize I will leave it here for people that may find it helpful.

Hey guys I have read several posts were people are having issues with some Roms with sense 3.0,etc.

This guide should help those experiencing the following issues:
1) Have apps on your sd card and icons for those apps on one of your home screens but when you reboot your phone the icons disappear or change to the green standard app icon. icon may or may not still open the app.

2) Mount SD card to a PC while the phone is on. After disconnecting it, the phone shows a message on the screen for preparing SD and afterward, the SD card can be browsed. However, apps that have been moved to SD do not show up in the app tray until the phone is restarted.

Important before doing any of this please note this process can render your SD card useless if you make a mistake. Please follow all steps completely and know that I am not responsible if you mess up your sd card

This process is done from your pc not phone! Things you will need:
1) your Incredible
2) Your micro SD card
3) A micro SD to SD card adapter - this if your dont know=
kingston_1gb_micro_sd_memory_card_adapter_reviews_718740_300.jpg

4) computer im using windows xp

Here is what you should try:
1) Download Link2sd from the android market. Don't open it just yet your phone is not ready.

2) From your pc download Minitool partition wizard for your appropriate system. Install the wizard by following the instructions that appear when you download it. At the end it will ask to create a desktop icon check yes so you can find it easy.

3)Turn off your incredible and remove the micro SD card and place it in the adapter. Plug it into your PC.

4) create a new folder on your desktop and name it "sdbackup" or whatever you would like just remember were it is. Copy the entire contents of your micro sd card to the sdbackup folder you just created. This may take a while depending on the amount of files you have.

5) after backing up your sd card. Open the minitool partition wizard. You should see your sd card. Caution do not do anything with your c drive or any other drives listed under disk 1 Mine is under disk 2 labeled D:E1292
IMAG0014.jpg

6) click on your sd card. In the left pane of the wizard choose format partition. choose FAT32 as your file system and leave cluster size and label blank. click ok.

7) click your sd card. In the left pane again of the wizard choose move/resize partition. On the window that pops up click partition size. uncheck the use extended data protection mode. type in the amount of megabytes or gigabytes you want your sd card regular storage area to be. In this guide im using a 1gb sd card. I typed in 700 to create a 700 mb regular area. Leave all other boxes alone. So if you have say an 8gb card i would type 7000 to give you roughly 7gb main. click ok. you should now see your main sd card and another one below it now with a *as its name.
first
IMAG0015.jpg

second
IMAG0016.jpg

third new partition created
IMAG0017.jpg

8) ok almost there: Now on the new unallocated partition we just created ( one with the star as its name) click on it. At the top of the wizard click create. You will get a message saying the new created partition cannot be used in windows...... just click yes to continue. In the window that pops up pay attention click create as and select primary! click file system and select Ext3! Leave all other boxes etc alone. You will see the partition size that will be created. click ok.

message you will get:
IMAG0019.jpg

Creating the partition:
IMAG0020.jpg

9) Ok here we go.... In the top left of the wizard you should see a check mark that says apply..... Click it! You will get a message saying apply pending changes, disable power savers etc... click yes to continue.. do not let screen saver come on after this and do not allow computer to "sleep". Let the wizard do its thing. This can take some time depending on your system, sizes, etc. You get a dialog box to let you know whats going on. When the wizard finishes you will get a message saying apply all pending changes successful. Click ok...
You can exit the wizard now.

The wizard dialog box when you click the check mark..
IMAG0021.jpg

10) place all your files back on your sd card. Find the folder you created with your sd backup in it. Select all files and copy them back to your sd card. Dont worry about the second partition as windows will only see the first FAT32 one.

Thats the partition link2sd needs now to set up link2sd:

1) place your SD card back in your incredible and reboot.
2) find your link2sd app you downloaded and open it. The program will load. A box will appear that instructs you to select the file system type of your second partition. Select Ext3!
3) Link2sd will do a few things and ask for superuser permissions.. When this box pops up click remember on superuser permissions!
4) Link2sd will tell you the scipt to mount the second partition was flashed (installed),etc.
5) it will then tell you to restart your phone to mount the second partition. Just do a normal reboot!
6) once the phone has rebooted go back and open link2sd again. You should get a whats new box with the changes to link2sd.
7) to check just to make sure it worked click menu/storage info it should look something like this.
2011-09-09_01-36-58.jpg

Now you can use link2sd!

Enjoy please say thanks if I helped. I will try to answer any questions you have. This may be possible to do while the sd card is in the phone with it attached to computer but I did not chance this so wont be able to help in that area. :)

Last edited:

eraste

Aug 5, 2011
Griffin, Ga
www.emblwpdesign.com
May be possible with this wizard. Skip the format step and everything else should go normal. One would start from the move/resise step. After editing what you want I however can't recall if this particular widget will format both when you apply changes. I'll look into it when I get some free time.

I put the backup and format step in just to make sure things go smooth. It should work without that first format tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: leodasal2
Lost \emmc mount to PC

Eraste -

I found your guide tremendously helpful and was able to set up the ext3 partition without a problem.

Thing is, I cannot mount \emmc to PC, and I used to be able to.

I didn't lose it after doing this; I lost it on a prior ROM (Nils Business Gingersense 2.1/3.0 v3.0) after flashing a new kernel. After that, nothing I did, old nandroids, reflashing, restored it.

Now I'm on McSense 2.4 which is fairly close to stock OTA Gingerbread for the Incredible, and I have Links2SD running fine, and I have SD card mount, but I still don't seem to be able to get emmc to mount.

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Okay, it's 19 days later, I've wiped the system several times, installed two other ROM's ran Jermaine's/Tiny's ext4 mod which moves \data\data to ext4 and just plugged my Incredible back into the PC for the first time on this particular combination of ROM's and mods and, lookit that, mount to emmc has spontaneously returned. I'll never figure this one out. (Except that ext3 is still there, but Link2SD doesn't have anything linked at all right now, because I don't need the space without a 150mb limitation on \data\data on a Sense 1.0 ROM.

Last edited:

Trickster

Jun 16, 2009
Montevideo
Help Me!!

have no idea how to stop memory back and was doing all the procedure like this in the tutorial and it does not work says that the installation script can not be created, could help me?

leodasal2

Feb 5, 2012
Iloilo City
thumbs up for this!!

thank you (pressed thanks) for this step by step guide!! ive been looking for this for a while!!

what really helped was the screenies of the program on how the whole thing worked!! :D:D:D

tested on my old 2gb microsd= WORKED!! tested it with a newly installed app of course!!:D:D:D

will be trying it on my new 8gb microsdhc :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

have no idea how to stop memory back and was doing all the procedure like this in the tutorial and it does not work says that the installation script can not be created, could help me?

try the "ext2" format option.. as all devices are compatible with it

hope that helps!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: kia ebnyamin

lyrel09

Jan 9, 2012
you should decrease the size of the 2nd part because file store in there is so little, the main is half full

lyrel09

Jan 9, 2012
now that i have 2nd partition and link2sd, where should i start? i mean where should my app stored before creating link? and there are 3 files to be link, wich to be link?

Rudjgaard

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for the guide, although i have trouble installing. Once I open link2sd (ext3 partition created n all) i select ext3 as secondary partition and i get "script cannot be installed" error, mount:mounting/dev//block/vold/179:2 on data/sdext2 failed: Device or resource busy
Any suggestions please?
Edit:solved by wiping and reformatting ext partition on pc

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can no longer support this thread. I apologize I will leave it here for people that may find it helpful.

Hey guys I have read several posts were people are having issues with some Roms with sense 3.0,etc.

This guide should help those experiencing the following issues:
    1) Have apps on your sd card and icons for those apps on one of your home screens but when you reboot your phone the icons disappear or change to the green standard app icon. icon may or may not still open the app.

2) Mount SD card to a PC while the phone is on. After disconnecting it, the phone shows a message on the screen for preparing SD and afterward, the SD card can be browsed. However, apps that have been moved to SD do not show up in the app tray until the phone is restarted.

Important before doing any of this please note this process can render your SD card useless if you make a mistake. Please follow all steps completely and know that I am not responsible if you mess up your sd card

This process is done from your pc not phone! Things you will need:
    1) your Incredible
    2) Your micro SD card
    3) A micro SD to SD card adapter - this if your dont know=
    kingston_1gb_micro_sd_memory_card_adapter_reviews_718740_300.jpg

4) computer im using windows xp

Here is what you should try:
    1) Download Link2sd from the android market. Don't open it just yet your phone is not ready.

2) From your pc download Minitool partition wizard for your appropriate system. Install the wizard by following the instructions that appear when you download it. At the end it will ask to create a desktop icon check yes so you can find it easy.

3)Turn off your incredible and remove the micro SD card and place it in the adapter. Plug it into your PC.

4) create a new folder on your desktop and name it "sdbackup" or whatever you would like just remember were it is. Copy the entire contents of your micro sd card to the sdbackup folder you just created. This may take a while depending on the amount of files you have.

5) after backing up your sd card. Open the minitool partition wizard. You should see your sd card. Caution do not do anything with your c drive or any other drives listed under disk 1 Mine is under disk 2 labeled D:E1292
    IMAG0014.jpg

6) click on your sd card. In the left pane of the wizard choose format partition. choose FAT32 as your file system and leave cluster size and label blank. click ok.

7) click your sd card. In the left pane again of the wizard choose move/resize partition. On the window that pops up click partition size. uncheck the use extended data protection mode. type in the amount of megabytes or gigabytes you want your sd card regular storage area to be. In this guide im using a 1gb sd card. I typed in 700 to create a 700 mb regular area. Leave all other boxes alone. So if you have say an 8gb card i would type 7000 to give you roughly 7gb main. click ok. you should now see your main sd card and another one below it now with a *as its name.
    first
    IMAG0015.jpg

second
    IMAG0016.jpg

third new partition created
    IMAG0017.jpg

8) ok almost there: Now on the new unallocated partition we just created ( one with the star as its name) click on it. At the top of the wizard click create. You will get a message saying the new created partition cannot be used in windows...... just click yes to continue. In the window that pops up pay attention click create as and select primary! click file system and select Ext3! Leave all other boxes etc alone. You will see the partition size that will be created. click ok.

message you will get:
    IMAG0019.jpg

Creating the partition:
    IMAG0020.jpg

9) Ok here we go.... In the top left of the wizard you should see a check mark that says apply..... Click it! You will get a message saying apply pending changes, disable power savers etc... click yes to continue.. do not let screen saver come on after this and do not allow computer to "sleep". Let the wizard do its thing. This can take some time depending on your system, sizes, etc. You get a dialog box to let you know whats going on. When the wizard finishes you will get a message saying apply all pending changes successful. Click ok...
    You can exit the wizard now.

The wizard dialog box when you click the check mark..
    IMAG0021.jpg

10) place all your files back on your sd card. Find the folder you created with your sd backup in it. Select all files and copy them back to your sd card. Dont worry about the second partition as windows will only see the first FAT32 one.

Thats the partition link2sd needs now to set up link2sd:

1) place your SD card back in your incredible and reboot.
    2) find your link2sd app you downloaded and open it. The program will load. A box will appear that instructs you to select the file system type of your second partition. Select Ext3!
    3) Link2sd will do a few things and ask for superuser permissions.. When this box pops up click remember on superuser permissions!
    4) Link2sd will tell you the scipt to mount the second partition was flashed (installed),etc.
    5) it will then tell you to restart your phone to mount the second partition. Just do a normal reboot!
    6) once the phone has rebooted go back and open link2sd again. You should get a whats new box with the changes to link2sd.
    7) to check just to make sure it worked click menu/storage info it should look something like this.
    2011-09-09_01-36-58.jpg

Now you can use link2sd!

Enjoy please say thanks if I helped. I will try to answer any questions you have. This may be possible to do while the sd card is in the phone with it attached to computer but I did not chance this so wont be able to help in that area. :)
    This' very useful information eraste!

Thank you

Your welcome just trying to do my part lol.
    May be possible with this wizard. Skip the format step and everything else should go normal. One would start from the move/resise step. After editing what you want I however can't recall if this particular widget will format both when you apply changes. I'll look into it when I get some free time.

I put the backup and format step in just to make sure things go smooth. It should work without that first format tho...
    thumbs up for this!!

thank you (pressed thanks) for this step by step guide!! ive been looking for this for a while!!

what really helped was the screenies of the program on how the whole thing worked!! :D:D:D

tested on my old 2gb microsd= WORKED!! tested it with a newly installed app of course!!:D:D:D

will be trying it on my new 8gb microsdhc :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

try the "ext2" format option.. as all devices are compatible with it

hope that helps!! :D:D:D