[ROM] DarkyROM v11.0 Black Edition - Based on Android 4.0.4 ICS

Search This thread

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
No problem can live without. Porting to captivate to take for a spin. Looks good!

Ports are very much welcome, although we would like them to be [unofficial] ports
Please do PM me if you see a port or port it yourself :D!

I always loved the GB roms cuz they were so greeny, and I love your work on ICS but it will be perfect if it was green too :)
Excellent work. Keep Going :p YOU ARE THE BEST :thumbup:

We did think of green, but ICS fitted better, and was a fresh look for the new DarkyROM :)

Don't worry, we haven't totally forgotten our roots!

Reactions: midi_1996

dave71670

Mar 26, 2011
Wausau
LG V35
Xiaomi Mi A3
Followed instructions from op and theme from last rom carried over. Nice! Working well and snappy. Thanks

Edit: Data usage screen is blurred for me. Don't think porting would cause this. Jus sayin.

Last edited:

guru_iyer

Dec 20, 2011
Mumbai
Welcome Back

Welcome back DarkyROM.:victory: I always been a great fan of DarkyROMs. You are the best. :good:
Just downloaded the ROM and am on it now. I would like an option to change the look of the TOGGLES in Notification Screen, like in ROM Control of many other ROMs.

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas
Woot Darky! Not trying to be superficial here or anything but all I care about is speed really. A wide array of benchmarks (antutu or vellamo) would be helpful :)

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Welcome back DarkyROM.:victory: I always been a great fan of DarkyROMs. You are the best. :good:
Just downloaded the ROM and am on it now. I would like an option to change the look of the TOGGLES in Notification Screen, like in ROM Control of many other ROMs.
It's something we have been requested. I'll add a wish list to the op :)
Woot Darky! Not trying to be superficial here or anything but all I care about is speed really. A wide array of benchmarks (antutu or vellamo) would be helpful :)

I don't really believe in benchmarks...:/

sUsH667

Jul 1, 2011
a nice and warm "welcome back" from my side too...
oh, and happy birthday of course!
what is the difference between "v11 golden master black edition" and "v11 black edition"?

EDIT: i forgot to ask which kernel is included? is it a new darkcore?
EDIT2: just saw in your video, that semaphore 1.2.5s is included. do you know, if there will be an ics darkcore?

greetz,

sUsH

Last edited:

TFDRA

Jun 2, 2012
Happeh birthday <3, will download it Asap when the wifi is working :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

demon2112

Jul 30, 2009
ijmuiden
Uhhhmmm clearify please...
I see the cm9 nightly is an mtd rom
Darkysbis based on mtd it seems,does this give issues when downgrading ?
To gb for example.

I know on the tab 7" that when you try to flash a NONmtd rom over a MTD rom
you are going to brick it

Sent from my galaxy nexus using xda app-developers app

Eleve11

Oct 1, 2011
Stockholm
I've been using this rom for a day now. I've got one problem that's annoys me, it is that the wallpaper changes automatically.

Like if I set a picture as a wallpaper, when I lock the phone and unlock it couple minutes later, the wall has changed.

Rikul

Feb 4, 2011
I've been using this rom for a day now. I've got one problem that's annoys me, it is that the wallpaper changes automatically.

Like if I set a picture as a wallpaper, when I lock the phone and unlock it couple minutes later, the wall has changed.

How is the general feel of the rom?? I mean smooth and battery???

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
welcome back :) remember those old good GB rom`s :) Thanks for ICS rom .

a nice and warm "welcome back" from my side too...
oh, and happy birthday of course!
what is the difference between "v11 golden master black edition" and "v11 black edition"?

EDIT: i forgot to ask which kernel is included? is it a new darkcore?
EDIT2: just saw in your video, that semaphore 1.2.5s is included. do you know, if there will be an ics darkcore?

greetz,

sUsH
Thanks bro, well gm had some random bugs, and more so the theme was black and white.
Kernel is semaphore 1.2.5s it has bln too

Happeh birthday <3, will download it Asap when the wifi is working :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
Thanks mate! :)
Wifi should be working. Some have reported the problem, but with a change of modem it has worked.

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Uhhhmmm clearify please...
I see the cm9 nightly is an mtd rom
Darkysbis based on mtd it seems,does this give issues when downgrading ?
To gb for example.

I know on the tab 7" that when you try to flash a NONmtd rom over a MTD rom
you are going to brick it

Sent from my galaxy nexus using xda app-developers app

Well to get back to gb for example we suggest going via odin. Just imagine like being on cm9.
You will never brick your phone by not going via odin, just the rom won't boot and you'll be stuck in a bootloop :)

This is my experience on the matter, i could be wrong however :)

wow, Darky with ICS
this is a must flash
Thanks, let us know how it is :)

Nothing special. Stock android with semaphore kernel. No offense though, cause darky says its meant to be so.

Please don't start trolling here too bro...

Interesting I'll do some testing. Is this personal wallpapers or ones included, or both?

tt0204

Oct 29, 2010
not exactly mate!
More like:
He changed serves, they took it badly, and they left (it was a long time coming)

Long story short, he was on his own (basically) but now his got a new crew - and quite a few people who still respect him (me included)

Let's not make this a discussion thread - but I just thought to clear that up

Meant to clarify too :p
Just installed and it's pretty fast.
But I can't find the options for customizing the toggles and etc.?

Eleve11

Oct 1, 2011
Stockholm
How is the general feel of the rom?? I mean smooth and battery???

I think it's really good for a first release! Very smooth and so on. The recent programs list is very smooth and doesn't lag at all.

I don't know what I should say about battery but my impression is good. The rom has Semaphore 1.2.5s so you could self manage how short or long batterylife you will have i lack of performance then! :)

But overall a really smooth and good rom, looking forward to further updates!

Rikul

Feb 4, 2011
I think it's really good for a first release! Very smooth and so on. The recent programs list is very smooth and doesn't lag at all.

I don't know what I should say about battery but my impression is good. The rom has Semaphore 1.2.5s so you could self manage how short or long batterylife you will have i lack of performance then! :)

But overall a really smooth and good rom, looking forward to further updates!

Thanks from me for the report :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I might not be able to answer all questions any more, due to the give-away of my SGS i9000.

Hi there everyone :)!

Introduction

Been a long time since there's been an update of DarkyROM via XDA.
    Well - I'm setting out to change that.
    In case people didn't know I'm an admin over on DarkyROM known as "Totallydubbed"
    Anyway, I'm sure most of you know me from my ROM flashing videos, but just in case...I thought I would mention that to break the ice - not quite winter, but still.

We are very proud to present DarkyROM Black Edition!

Warnings & Disclaimers:
    -This ROM is only for the Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) ONLY -> I can't stress this enough. Please do NOT flash this on another device
    -Please respect one another in this thread - any bashing and/or flaming will be directly reported to moderators. Respect to be respected, that's my motto; And please no comparing or asking for comparisons of other ROMs
    -If something goes wrong, report it here and/or on DarkyROM, we will try to resolve it, but cannot guarantee it
    -We are NOT responsible for you damaging your phone in any way, be it bricking or you literally throwing it at a brick wall, and bricking it.

Download links:
    -Sourceforge Link
    -Mirror link on Dev-Host

Features:
    • Based on Android 4.0.4 AOSP
    • Extras from CM9, AOKP and Slim
    • Clean stock Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich theme
    • Fast & responsive user interface
    • Fast & reliable GPS
    • Good battery life
    • BLN support [backlight notifications]
    • Voodoo Sound
    • T9 Dialer
    • Extended statusbar toggles
    • Smooth Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich Launcher
    • Google Apps
    • Fully rooted
    • Galaxy S III ringtones, SMS and alarm sounds
    • Easy & fast install engine
    • Semaphore ICS 1.2.5s Kernel

Installation guide
    Before you even think about installing this, please make a backup of your current configuration.
    No one is responsible when your data gets destroyed.

Here is a video guide:

Here is the written guide

0-If you're coming from an older ROM, like Froyo; follow these steps;

• Flash a GB ROM via ODIN to get the GB bootloaders
    • Then follow the guide bellow

1-If you're coming from a Gingerbread (2.3) ROM, follow these steps;

• Have your phone rooted with CWM
    • Make a NANDROID backup & Titanium backup & backup anything you need or find important on a PC
    • Download the latest CM9 (nightly) - its the one at the top of the list (ensure it's CM9, and NOT CM7) & Download DarkyROM v11
    • Put both ROMs on your INTERNAL SD card
    • Enter Recovery by switching off the phone, and holding the 3 button combo (VOL UP + Home + POWER)
    • Once in recovery, flash the latest CM9 (nightly)
    • As it's trying to flash, it will get into a bootloop - so re-enter recovery (by either holding: VOL UP + HOME + POWER, until it reboots, OR by pulling the battery, then entering it)
    • Once back in CWM, re-flash CM9 - however this time it will not bootloop, and fully install
    • Reboot phone
    • Once the phone has booted into CM9 (give it a good 5mins to boot) - Re-enter recovery, by holding the power button, which will then give you the option to go straight into recovery via the extended power menu on CM9
    • In CWM Recovery "wipe data / factory reset" and "wipe cache" and in "advanced" wipe dalvik-cache"
    • Go to "Mounts and storage" and mount all availaible partitions (like /sdcard) -> Don't worry if you can't mount "emmc", it's just the external sd-card
    • Flash DarkyROM v11.0 Black Edition
    • Reboot (give it again 5mins to boot)
    • Enjoy!

2-If you're coming from any other ICS ROM (or upgrading from DarkyROM v11.0), follow these steps;

(Wiping is optional - ie factory resetting via CWM - but I would personally advise it to avoid problems, but again, it isn't needed nor obligatory)
    • Go to the CWM Recovery (Press Volume Up + Home + Power when phone is switched off)
    • and "wipe cache" and "advanced >> wipe dalvik-cache"
    • Go to "Mounts and storage" and mount all availaible partitions (like /sdcard)
    • Don't worry if you can't mount "emmc", it's just the external sd-card
    • Flash DarkyROM v11.0 Black Edition
    • Reboot

3-If for some reason you want to change modem, after having flashed the ROM:
    -Grab Perka's file stash
    -Buy the pro if you want too (I have the pro version )
    -Open app
    -Navigate: samsung -> ICS_CM_Modems -> flash one of the ones you want - I just flashed and tested ZSJPG, and it worked/flashed fine.
    -The files are stored in your internal sd card - in "perkafilestash" folder
    -Go into CWM and flash the modem.
    -Now after reboot, go into settings, and in about phone, your baseband (modem) will now be changed!

Tips & Tricks:
    -To take a screenshot press VOL DOWN + Power
    -Enabling Wi-fi Direct -> Just enable "Netfilter" in the Semaphore app, and wi-fi direct/tethering will work
    -OC'ing and under-clocking -> Use the Semaphore app
    -To make the phone seem faster/snappier, make the window & transition animation scales to 0.5x under settings -> Developer Options
    -If you have problems with your launcher (like zeam launcher after a TB restore, doubling apps) - then restart the launcher and/or clear data/cache
    -If you want some stock apps, check out this thread - here it will flash some stock apps found in the S3 - There will be some things that would have changed (like settings menu etc), to get back to DarkyROM's look, just flash the backup that would have been made (from flashing this), which will be located on your internal SD card -> under the folder "universalflasher" -> I have tested it myself, and it works as intended :)
    -To have FM radio, install Spirit FM -> If it means that much to you, then paying for an app like that, is very much worth it.
    -To have additional languages (for the time being), you can install "Swift Key"
    -Download link to the DarkyROM v11 Boot Animation - This is a CWM flashable zip, for people that want it back on ICS.
    -If you want a lower DPI - Use the Nitrality app to edit the DPI settings - The default DPI is 240, although you can go as low as 182 DPI !

Finally, if you like the ROM - please do give the thread a 5 star rating, give this post a healthy Thumbs UP, and last but not least, donate to the man himself, Joel:

Happy flashing!
    -The DarkyROM Crew
    Things that don't work or aren't right:
    Hopefully we could try to fix them, especially with your help - but there are no guarantees

-FM Radio -> Near impossible to fix
    -CSC Selection window
    -Dialler seems to be having issues with some people -> When you use the T9, and click to call a contact, it FCs
    -Under "Data usage" in settings, the graph has an odd glow
    -Power widget looks a little blurred
    -When charging the phone whilst off, the battery doesn't change to green, but stays "loading"
    -SD card issue - "space full" -> Explained by Harlekin, here & here

Features that might come & Wish list
    These are certain wishes, requests and whatnot from users. Again nothing can be guaranteed.
    -More languages (so far requested: Dutch, Russian, Polish, Finnish, Greek, Swedish & Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Romanian)
    -% battery icon
    -More wallpapers
    -Toggle customisation
    -Gamma customisation
    -Lockscreen customisations & more variety
    -ROM Control (like in CM9)
    -Theme chooser
    -Notification counter
    -More keyboards
    -UX launcher from SGS3

Changelog:
    -First public release

Pictures:
    As dev host couldn't keep up with the pictures here. They are now attached in this post, on xda.
    don't worry ladies and gents - I'm editing the posts.
    It is my birthday today after all :)
    Credits/Thanks to:

• Google
    • Samsung
    • All beta testers
    • DarkyROM staff / crew
    • CyanogenMod
    • Team Hacksung/CM team
    • krarvind
    • kamma
    • Vlad Redkin (RemICS-UX)
    • RemICS team
    • stratosk
    • Supercurio
    • AOKP team
    • SLIM ICS team
    • XDA developers for the awesome forums & for the people within it
    There are probably some I have forgotten, if there are - please do not hesitate to PM me!
    I like giving credit where it's due!
    Read trough to page 7 ..didnt find an answer:

First of all a "Welcome back", I was always a huge DarkyRom Fan :)
    But what exactly is the big deal with the ICS Version? On GB there was this spectacular design, best performance and battery life + 3d launcher etc. Is there any huge difference between DarkyRom and Slim ICS or something similiar?

well this is based on android 4.0.4 - one could say there is no difference between all the roms in the world, but at the end of the day, there is only one person to decide that, and that's yourself, the user :)

Almost like saying what's the difference between JVH and JVO - well up to you to decide and see the differences.

You'll be able to see in the OP screenshots, a video and a brief run down of what's included in the ROM.
    If it takes your fancy, then go ahead and flash it, if not, then you can thank you for your time.

At the end of the day, all these ROMs are free, and not paid for. If this was a paid product, then sure, I would try and explain in a greater depth, and try and prove to you that this is the BEST ROM IN DA WORLD - but as I'm not selling you anything, and I gain nothing from you actually flashing the ROM, all I can say to the last three people who posted in this thread is quite simple:

Read the OP (opening post), if you like what you see then flash away, if you do not, then please do not troll on this thread constantly asking me the differences between X Y and Z ROMs or why it has or hasn't changed from 2025, since the return of Doctor Zoidberg -> Old-die this applies to you too.