*** UPDATE *** [2009-07-23] Wireless Tether for Root Users (Opensource)

Search This thread

harry_m

Feb 25, 2009
I'd be more than willing to donate a few bucks as long as 'this' version will always remain free and available.

Now a bit of flaming.. hopefully you don't take the xda user suggestions/trouble shooting/help testing etc etc and state "the beta version WAS free", delete it, then slap a $9 price tag on the pro version.... :(

This software is licensed under LGPL - the sourcecode is available on google-code! This application will be free for now, in 2 weeks and in 20 years :)

If you really want to donate some bucks please give it to JesusFreke ... he really deserves it!

Regards,
Harry

sensimila

Feb 16, 2009
San Diego
Aww man. i just bought tetherWifi on the app market. Which is a pretty good app but this G1 tether has been put together really good. Thanks for making this app. I really love it.

oreoOozZz

Nov 13, 2008
This is amazing, works flawlessly and for FREE. Some of developers making the paid apps on the market must be smoking some real good sh!t because they are buggin if they think people are going to pay for that horsecrap. Anyway, if you have an email, i would like to donate because this app is great and i feel you deserve compensation. Keep up the good work.

harry_m

Feb 25, 2009
When i do this i have no allowed clients, what now?

Try this please:
If you enable "Activate Access-Control" clients are blocked from generating internet-traffic. To allow single clients you need to tick the checkbox (next to the client-decription) and hit the save-button in the setup-view. You do NOT need to restart the tethering-service - changes are done on-the-fly!
If you do not see any clients please make sure you are connected, press the [back]-button to exit setup, open the "setup"-view again (press [menu] and chose "setup").

By the way ... I will release an updated version tomorrow which will include a refresh-button ... so you don't have to jump out of "setup" and open it again.

Last edited:

Ryanmo5

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 20, 2008
Goodyear
Try this please:
If you enable "Activate Access-Control" clients are blocked from generating internet-traffic. To allow single clients you need to tick the checkbox (next to the client-decription) and hit the save-button in the setup-view. You do NOT need to restart the tethering-service - changes are done on-the-fly!
If you do not see any clients please make sure you are connected, press the [back]-button to exit setup, open the "setup"-view again (press [menu] and chose "setup").
Ok tried that and no clients. In call log it says enabling NAT for mac-addess and just sits there. I am running windows xp, is this not for windows?

harry_m

Feb 25, 2009
Ok tried that and no clients. In call log it says enabling NAT for mac-addess and just sits there. I am running windows xp, is this not for windows?

I'm using winxp too.
Is the wifi-connection established to your phone ... do you get an ip-address? does tethring work if you uncheck "Activate Access-Control" (followed by pressing the save-button)?

Ryanmo5

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 20, 2008
Goodyear
I'm using winxp too.
Is the wifi-connection established to your phone ... do you get an ip-address? does tethring work if you uncheck "Activate Access-Control" (followed by pressing the save-button)?
Yeah wifi is running, i have a netgear wireless card and it picks up the tether under adhoc but when i try to connect it wont. Weird man it should be working, this is driving me nuts lol. How do you get ip? No doesnt work if checked/unchecked.

mariod1269

Feb 13, 2007
los angeles, CA
This might be a dumb question, but what will this allow me to do?

it will allow you to use your G1 as a wifi router. for example, last month, i went to San Francisco for a few days, when i was coming home, i got to the airport a little early. so i fired up my laptop to surf the interwebs while i waited...well, the only wireless offered at SFO is the $10/month pay as you go t-mo thingy. luckily, i had tetherbot on my G1 so i was able to get around it and surf for free.

this app, however, is way better than tetherbot.

chief2842

Jun 15, 2007
it will allow you to use your G1 as a wifi router. for example, last month, i went to San Francisco for a few days, when i was coming home, i got to the airport a little early. so i fired up my laptop to surf the interwebs while i waited...well, the only wireless offered at SFO is the $10/month pay as you go t-mo thingy. luckily, i had tetherbot on my G1 so i was able to get around it and surf for free.

this app, however, is way better than tetherbot.

Thanks I figured that was it, but I just wanted to make sure. I have the App running just have to play around with it now.

rwbarnes67

Feb 21, 2009
El Monte, CA
Hi all. I just rooted my G1 2 days ago and I'm still new to the modded community but want this app.

Can someone tell me how to install it onto my G1?

Thanks to all and especially JF!!!!

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
Now THIS is something I would pay for, just because you made it free :) Is there a way to donate to you?

App works like a charm (using it at the moment). In case anyone is interested I use: JFv1.43 Holiday / Linux Mint 6.

parrothd

Nov 10, 2008
Hey Hey! Just when I'd given up!

Does this install all the tethering files and scripts?!..

If so, I'll up date the main tethering thread!

Wow, great job, works awsome!

Thanks Harry!

Last edited:

chief2842

Jun 15, 2007
I am having the same problems that post 50 is having. Do I need to turn wifi off on my laptop because it automatic connects to my wireless network at the house? Also do I need to plug the usb plug into the laptop in irder to see the clients?

sonikamd

Jan 7, 2008
Actually your laptop should see the G1 as an "Unsecured Computer to Computer Network". What it does is uses your laptop's WiFi to connect to the G1's WiFi to allow you to connect your laptop to t-mobile's 3g network through your g1.. um does that make any sense lol

so ya, you need your laptop's wifi on and you should be able to connect to the g1 as a wireless network to get 3g internet on your laptop.

Top Liked Posts