Making a Cab file

Search This thread

ClassicalDonkey

May 5, 2006
Leeds
Hi everyone, i would like to make myself some cab files for different things. I downloading MakeCab.exe, but like to use this software but i dont want to pay over £100 for it!!

Does anyone know a good cab maker that does not cost the earth and has a good user face llike makercab.exe?

Please give me name and cost of programme

ClassicalDonkey

May 5, 2006
Leeds
There is this one here - not sure how well it works - but its cheap! Suggest you try the demo first.

http://www.phelios.net/cabomatic.html

I do mine manually best way to learn IMHO

Merci, well i want to do it manually too but till i can i would like something to fall back on!!!

Do you know if there is a web site that shows you have to make a Cab file manually? Cus i am stuck on the DDF file!!! no idea what is meant to be in it!

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
Merci, well i want to do it manually too but till i can i would like something to fall back on!!!

Do you know if there is a web site that shows you have to make a Cab file manually? Cus i am stuck on the DDF file!!! no idea what is meant to be in it!

This is good for starters http://www.codeproject.com/ce/pocketpc_deploy.asp - dont worry about the ddf file its just part of the cabwiz app - the most important file is cab.inf

ClassicalDonkey

May 5, 2006
Leeds
Does anyone have a listing for all Windows CD Strings.

I have found below but the web site says it is for Handheld (so not sure if they would be the same for WM5. This is the only one i can really find!

Code:
%CE1%	\Program Files
%CE2%	\Windows
%CE3%	\Windows\Desktop
%CE4%	\Windows\StartUp
%CE5%	\My Documents
%CE6%	\Program Files\Accessories
%CE7%	\Program Files\Communications
%CE8%	\Program Files\Games
%CE9%	\Program Files\Pocket Outlook
%CE10%	\Program Files\Office
%CE11%	\Windows\Programs
%CE12%	\Windows\Programs\Accessories
%CE13%	\Windows\Programs\Communications
%CE14%	\Windows\Programs\Games
%CE15%	\Windows\Fonts
%CE16%	\Windows\Recent
%CE17%	\Windows\Favorites

I am looking for SD card, does anyone know if there is one!!!

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
Does anyone have a listing for all Windows CD Strings.

I have found below but the web site says it is for Handheld (so not sure if they would be the same for WM5. This is the only one i can really find!

Code:
%CE1%	\Program Files
%CE2%	\Windows
%CE3%	\Windows\Desktop
%CE4%	\Windows\StartUp
%CE5%	\My Documents
%CE6%	\Program Files\Accessories
%CE7%	\Program Files\Communications
%CE8%	\Program Files\Games
%CE9%	\Program Files\Pocket Outlook
%CE10%	\Program Files\Office
%CE11%	\Windows\Programs
%CE12%	\Windows\Programs\Accessories
%CE13%	\Windows\Programs\Communications
%CE14%	\Windows\Programs\Games
%CE15%	\Windows\Fonts
%CE16%	\Windows\Recent
%CE17%	\Windows\Favorites

I am looking for SD card, does anyone know if there is one!!!

Thats the same list as used on msdn - use %CE1% and then when you come to install it will ask you to install on device or storage card.

If you want to force it to the storage card write it without % % say \storage card\program files\myapp\ but i think with wm5 a dialog will still come up - you have to write the cab with xml to get a dialog free installation.

BenThon

Apr 3, 2006
On MSDN (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa458859.aspx) you see this :

The following table shows the installation macros that you can use for Windows Mobile-based applications. Use these macros in the DestinationDirs section of the CabWiz setup .inf file.
Note Windows CE supports other predefined installation macros, such as %CE3% for \Windows\Desktop. However, these are not supported on Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs, and their usage in an .inf file on a Pocket PC may have unexpected results.​
%CE1% \Program Files
%CE2% \Windows
%CE4% \Windows\StartUp
%CE5% \My Documents
%CE8% \Program Files\Games
%CE11% \Windows\Start Menu\Programs
%CE14% \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games
%CE15% \Windows\Fonts
%CE17% \Windows\Start Menu

Anticro

May 27, 2007
Thuringia
www.anticro.de
Is there a command-line tool (free) whitch creates cabs and runs right on the Pocket PC? On Windows I can use makecab. But now I want to port my theme maker (in Tcl) to the PPC (there I have pixane support :D) and need a similar program. I hope someone has a good tip for me.

mtmello

Feb 24, 2010
How to create a cab by hands...

I have the same trouble: dont have money to spend with costly cab software and didnt find deeper informations about how to create a cab by hands in the internet...

well... I still in my try to search way... If I find out something, for sure will share here. Please do the same!

tks