[Q] wi-fi not working with custom roms - possible Temp fix

Search This thread

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
I have searched for this for a long time and have found nothing on it
when I install anything other than stock I can not connect to wi-fi
it says the signal is great but will not connect to any - tries to connect - says it is obtaining IP address then fails
I have gone back and installed stock modems but still the same thing - I have tried several different ROMS including paranoid and CM
when I go back to stock it works great
any Ideas?

possibly fixed - still testing

typed in *#197328640#
hit menu and chose wi-fi
it brings up the wi-fi info and an off-on button -wi-fi power saver mode - click off and it connected as soon as i did that
not sure why but i will play with it some more - i am running a stock MA5 7105 based rom

pa3 now works - had to go into settings - wi-fi- advance - keep wi-fi on during sleep - turn to never then back to always - it connected right away

its the wi-fi power saver mode that i turned off and it has to be redone at each reboot

now that I have figured out that its a problem with the wi-fi power saving mode - and that it must be reset each reboot - anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
not sure if a script could be ran automaticaly at boot to reset it so that i would not have to go in and do it manually each time
I have no Idea even how to write one

Last edited:

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
Re: [Q] wi-fi not working with custom roms

Jedi master has wifi calling. And it works.

Sent From Land Of Ooo. Using a Jedi Mastered Note 2.

magnumseven

Kernel?

it says the signal is great but will not connect to any - tries to connect - says it is obtaining IP address then fails
I have gone back and installed stock modems but still the same thing - I have tried several different ROMS including paranoid and CM
any Ideas?

What kernels are you using?
So far Perseus Kernel has been the most reliable and snappiest kernel but will not work with CM10 or AOSP. Perseus and Jedi roms have been great combos. I didn't like the Saber kernel as I had issues with the 5 ghz band, as well as in and out Wi-Fi connectivity.

Today I'm going back to AOSP hoping they've added some features since the unofficial days, combined with the FORCE Kernel.:cowboy:

ALSO: Make sure you fully wipe your device when changing roms. It's not common for most people, but I format every partition when flashing. I have run into way fewer problems with that approach, but make sure you don't accidently reboot your device before flashing. You'll have to odin flash at that point.

Last edited:

Jerry D

Mar 5, 2011
any Ideas?

I think I know the Answer to your issue!.. Check out the Threads I stared, by clicking on my profile , in the SGS4G Forum..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957920

Or try these two things.

1)If you are using WPS Connection Make sure you are holding Your WPS button for at least ten seconds before releasing it to ensure you "have it scanning Your Devise".. it had been so long for me between stock and custom I "Thought it only took 2 seconds..

2) AND MOST LIKELY YOUR ISSUE.. If you were using a "Password" and entering it forget entering it. The "Password" is no longer "working"

Instead. Click on your Wifi Icon on your laptop or PC. Then Left click Your Wifi Connection. Now Right click Properties. Now CHECK the box under network security key (you will have to be an Administrator to do this) and you will see YOUR WIFI SECURITY KEY ie (aed566fgd1cbi34hjk77i) and input that in as Your Password instead of the "old" Password you had which could have been your dogs name or your first cars name..

Sorry for the lack of technical directions..

Your password (I think) is no longer what you set it as. IT IS as what shows in your WIFI Properties Network Security Key on your Laptop/PC.

Let me know please.

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
not looking for wi-fi calling - trying to figure why the wi-fi will not connect to my home wi-fi when installing custom roms I know the WEP password by heart and have tried several Roms - stock works - custom does not - I always do a clean install - I have had several androids - all rooted and find a clean install tends to work better - its not something installed later (apps) as it will not log in when i am setting up at first start up or after rebooting

I shut down wi-fi security on my router - still can not connect to it when open - tried 2 different custom roms

I am going to try a stock based custom rom and see if the problem continues - all the ones i tried are 4.2 ports or based on at&t roms
Frosty - based off stock LL4 works
JediX - based off 7105 rom does not work for me

Last edited:

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
none of the "stock" 7105 roms from teshxx are working for me - they install great - everything works but can not connect to any wi-fi

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix

any Ideas?

While the phone is trying to connect to WiFi, unplug the router and plug it right back in, WiFi should allow you to connect when it's done resetting

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum

Could be a problem that started at root. I would odin back to stock reroot then try again. If it was settings or user error you would be making the same mistakes on stock roms. But you say it works on stock roms so it would seem that's not the case.

sent via note 2 in boss mode @ quad core 2 ghz

Reactions: BACARDILIMON

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
Could be a problem that started at root. I would odin back to stock reroot then try again. If it was settings or user error you would be making the same mistakes on stock roms. But you say it works on stock roms so it would seem that's not the case.

I will try that tonight - thanks - I love paranoid roms - i have it on both my other phones(vibrant and sensation) and would like to get it working on my note

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY

any Ideas?

It def sounds like a issue with root or u have a bad phone internal.

Sent from my SGH-T889

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix

I will try that tonight - thanks - I love paranoid roms - i have it on both my other phones(vibrant and sensation) and would like to get it working on my note

I'm serious though... for years now, whenever I try to connect to WiFi after not being on it for a set amount of time, I'll try to connect and it will get stuck at Obtaining IP... All I do is unplug the power cable from the back of my router (not the modem you get from the ISP) for like 1 second, plug it back in, and viola, devices connect perfectly

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
ok - Odin back to stock - fresh start no root - wi-fi works great -root with CF-auto root - all good triangle away to remove root count

clean install of Paranoid 3.0 - wi-fi does not work at set-up - will not connect
clean install of CM nightlies - wi-fi still not working - install LL4 stock modem - still nothing
teshxx MA5 - same thing
went back to LL4 based Frosty - wi-fi connects right away
wi-fi connects with any true stock based roms but no ports or ASOP based ones

I don't even get past initial set-up - I can tell right away if it is working

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY

ok - Odin back to stock - fresh start no root - wi-fi works great -root with CF-auto root - all good triangle away to remove root count

clean install of Paranoid 3.0 - wi-fi does not work at set-up - will not connect
clean install of CM nightlies - wi-fi still not working - install LL4 stock modem - still nothing
teshxx MA5 - same thing

What model is ur router.

Sent from my SGH-T889

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

teshxx MA5 - same thing

Also how did u root ur phone?

Sent from my SGH-T889

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
the router is not the problem as I have tried getting on both closed and open systems. I used Odin to o back to stock unrooted as well as to apply CF auto root. Its weird - i have been rooting my android phones since my first mytouch and I am about stumped lol

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY

the router is not the problem as I have tried getting on both closed and open systems. I used Odin to o back to stock unrooted as well as to apply CF auto root. Its weird - i have been rooting my android phones since my first mytouch and I am about stumped lol

Yes but some people using Odin have either done it wrong or bad download of Odin.every phone is different. Some temperamental. Is ur antivirus off just incase

Sent from my SGH-T889

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
Yes but some people using Odin have either done it wrong or bad download of Odin.every phone is different. Some temperamental. Is ur antivirus off just incase

Sent from my SGH-T889

antivirus is off - what i dont get is why it works every time when running a stock rom or even a stock based rom - even if i go directly from a non working costom rom to a stock based rom - it works - i don't have to odin back to stock to get it to work - just flash a stock based rom and wi-fi starts working

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY

antivirus is off - what i dont get is why it works every time when running a stock rom or even a stock based rom - even if i go directly from a non working costom rom to a stock based rom - it works - i don't have to odin back to stock to get it to work - just flash a stock based rom and wi-fi starts working

Sounds like something is getting killed in the rom flash. What recovery u using.

Sent from my SGH-T889

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I know this sucks but I would use zedomax way of rooting on his website. Then flash a rom from a fresh download.

Sent from my SGH-T889

m936a2

Jul 30, 2010
Nampa
Sounds like something is getting killed in the rom flash. What recovery u using.

Sent from my SGH-T889

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I know this sucks but I would use zedomax way of rooting on his website. Then flash a rom from a fresh download.

Sent from my SGH-T889

this time I am using Clockworkmod 6.0.2.8 - i have used TWRP before

Xeon_IV

Jul 23, 2006
Chicago
Same Problem

I am having the same problem tried everything for 2 days now I have PA3 tried every option that I know of and one thing worked for a short time. I toggled the moble network off rebooted and wifi came on updated mt apps rebooted and it was off like a &^*@ tease! I am frustrated as hell because every phone I own is running PA3. My T-Mobile phone is just for podcast while im driving and I only download them via wifi! before I leave to work. I dont even use as a phone. I went to stock and have full wifi, rooted and have wifi updated to pa3 and no wifi. every costom rom I use I get no wifi unless I go to stock. is there a newer modem I should flash. I tried everything else and I don't care if I even cant make a call on it I just want wifi. Ad no the unpluging router did not work and all 5 of my other phones with modded roms work and 2 with pa3. 10 seconds till I throw my phone through the window and I am at the pont that I don't care that I miss spellled everything I typed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.