I897UCJI6 - FROYO - for real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

degenerazn

Sep 11, 2010
Yes, use Odin 1-click to get back to stock 2.1. But, before that, I would back up your apps using AppBackup Reinstall. I like this as a back up tool for apps only. It will back them to your SD card just in case.

As for emails, pictures, contacts, etc...they should all be syncing with Google or whatever anyway.

Here is the link to the post here -

Thanks, I actually had to use this once when my phone bricked on me. But this will completely wipe everything out. After having to reinstall all my apps, link all my contacts, set up my widgets/icons, etc etc for the 4th time, I think I'll just wait till they fix the bugs with 2.2.

Drew489

Aug 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Sorry to be a noob, but would this erase contacts, SMS, apps, etc.?

Don't you guys sync your contacts with Google? I don't understand how people worry about contacts or emails anymore...it all syncs...that's the main draw of these phones...to me, anyway.

As for apps, yes, you will lose them but use a backup apps tool (plenty in the market) to back them up to your SD card. You will have to reinstall them, kind of a PITA but doable.

SMS' would be gone too or you could back them app using an app in the market. Restore them after.

Anything on your external (the tiny little one that you can remove) SD card would still be there.

All your settings would be set back to stock settings. But that doesn't take more than a few seconds to fix, depending on what you even changed, if anything. I.e. the pattern to unlock your screen...you'd have to reset that if you use that feature.

Drew489

Aug 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks, I actually had to use this once when my phone bricked on me. But this will completely wipe everything out. After having to reinstall all my apps, link all my contacts, set up my widgets/icons, etc etc for the 4th time, I think I'll just wait till they fix the bugs with 2.2.

The problem with that is it's not the official version of 2.2 so you're probably going to have to do downgrade back to 2.1 then upgrade to the "official" 2.2 version from AT&T when it comes out.

Then use all the software hackers...errr..developers version of the stuff they do to 2.2. I doubt anyone is going to clean up that early version of 2.2 because the by time they spend time doing that...the "official" version will be out.

With my experience, you won't get the OTA updates from ATT on your phone if you're hacked, rooted or using same random version of Android. I.e. this version of 2.2.

No harm in waiting though I guess. My phone was just unusable because I needed some of the apps I couldn't download. Plus the choppiness and constant freezing was hell.

TheSopranos16

Dec 2, 2008
Marlboro, NJ
@Designgears Thanks for hooking us up with this. I've been using it for the past month and the benefits of Froyo are with the occasional hiccup of running a beta build.

That being said, do you think we'll get a more update leak between now and when the official Froyo release comes out? Kinda the way we had JH2 and JH3 before JH7?

newter55

Sep 14, 2010
Southern Michigan
@Designgears Thanks for hooking us up with this. I've been using it for the past month and the benefits of Froyo are with the occasional hiccup of running a beta build.

That being said, do you think we'll get a more update leak between now and when the official Froyo release comes out? Kinda the way we had JH2 and JH3 before JH7?

Dg has cognition which is a modified 2.2 build. There are also i9000 roms that you can run by using the reorient kernel that will enable hsupa. Tayutamas is one as well as others. They are simple to install and voodoo lagfix is now incorporated as well! There is also a build which is close to aosp which runs very smooth...that one is called cde aosp. Just look in dev forum here and you will find a much better 2.2 experience.

Sent telepathically using vulcan mind meld app.

palmeh01

Oct 7, 2010
I have the Exchange problem, and thought maybe I was crazy. I sent myself and test and replied to it from the phone, the body was empty. I did it again and removed the original part of the message (via the red - on the phone) and the Reply email body/text came through.
I have the same issue and can confirm what jps1974 said. If I delete the original text then the text in the body of the reply does get sent.

BigEHokie

Sep 23, 2010
Midlothian
Playlist clearing on subsequent mass storage connects

I'm unsure if this is a problem with 2.1, but on stock 2.2 after I sync a few playlists using DoubleTwist or iSyncr, the playlists work fine.

On subsequent connects to my PC as a mass storage device and not syncing any playlists, after unplugging, when the media scanner finishes scanning I have playlists (sometimes duplicates) but none of the playlists have any media associated with them. The media is still on my SD card so they can be played, the playlists are just empty.

Anyone else having this problem? Was this a problem in 2.1?

Akherad

Nov 3, 2010
Awesome!!!

I am new to XDA. Just updated my Galaxy Captivate's firmware and it went well (so far). I have issues with Yahoo email, though it doesn't bother me that much. I have an unlocked AT&T Samsung Captivate phone working on Canadian Rogers network.

So far I feel the phone is fast and responsive. I like keyboard layout and it is all well. 3G works fine. :)

I have Quadrant Benchmark result as 972 and it is already better than 878 which I had with previous OS.

UPDATE: I did not have any issues with Exchange email which was reported by other users. it worked fine for me.

Last edited:

mikefremont

Sep 18, 2010
do I have to unlock my I897 again after updated ?

Yikes.... Hmmm, i would hate not to use TiB and..... all those ATT bloatware, *groan*

I had "unlock" my I897 for using it with other SIM while I travel out of country.
Do I have do the "unlock" work with my phone again after this FROYO update?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts