[TUT] Install Stock 4.0.2.A.0.62 rom [+Root and CWM]

Search This thread
Here is the tutorial for Installing stock 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM plus root and CWM. I am not responsible or anyone mentioned below for bricking your phone in case, tested on my Xperia ray with unlocked bootloader using S1 tool.

Requirements
  1. Unlocked Bootloader (preferred) although there is a work around for locked bootloader
  2. 4.0.2.A.0.62 FTF files
  3. Flashtool
  4. recoveryRay.img by and Rootxperia.zip b1n4ry (for rooting)
  5. CWM

Installation:

How to Install stock 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM:
  1. Download this stock 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM. Thank you Aire for providing the link.
  2. After download you will have a zip file. Extract it.
  3. Download flashtool here and extract it.
  4. Create FTF file using flashtool from the 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM zip you extracted earlier. Now if you don't know how to create FTF files, there's a good tutorial here.
  5. If you successfully created FTF file, you should see a file with extension “.ftf” in the “firmwares” folder inside “FlashTool” folder
  6. Run the executable “X10FlashTool.exe” located in the FlashTool folder
  7. Now click “Flash” button and select flashboot. Now select the firmware from the popup menu. Make sure “Wipe user data” box is checked and then click “OK”.
  8. The application will ask you to put your Ray in flashboot mode, to do this turn off the phone, hold the volume down button while while connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  9. Follow the on screen instruction and your device will reboot. Notice that the reboot process will take longer at first.

How to install Root
Please note that this is only applied to devices with unlocked bootloader. Alternately, you can just install a custom kernel and root using zergrush method but if you want to try the .62 kernel from this stock rom then do this.

1. Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card
  2. Enter device in fastboot mode. Turn off phone, hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer
  3. Download the recoverRAY.img provided below, you will get a zip file, extract it.
  4. Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
  5. Place the recoveryRAy.img inside the folder
  6. Open command line in this folder
  7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type fastboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
  8. Now here's the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img
    *Notice that we didn't use fastboot flash boot ****.img here because as bin4ry said this recovery is designed to work just as recovery, if you flash it to your device it will NOT boot system anymore! This is just a temporary recovery for you so be careful not to flash it.
  9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
  10. On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.
  11. Reboot, your device is now rooted.

*to root your device with locked bootloader, they say you can install previous stock kernel and root using zergrush method.

How to install CWM
  1. Download this then extract
  2. Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don't miss the superuser promt
  3. Run install-cwm1.cmd from the folder
  4. Follow screen on screen instruction, reboot.

Attachments

• tempRECOVERYRAY.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 24,703
Last edited:

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Here is the tutorial for Installing stock 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM plus root and CWM. I am not responsible or anyone mentioned below for bricking your phone in case, tested on my Xperia ray with unlocked bootloader using S1 tool.

Requirements
  1. Unlocked Bootloader (preferred) although there is a work around for locked bootloader
  3. Flashtool
  5. CWM

Installation:

4. Create FTF file using flashtool from the 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM zip you extracted earlier. Now if you don't know how to create FTF files, there's a good tutorial here.
  5. If you successfully created FTF file, you should see a file with extension “.ftf” in the “firmwares” folder inside “FlashTool” folder
  7. Now click “Flash” button and select flashboot. Now select the firmware from the popup menu. Make sure “Wipe user data” box is checked and then click “OK”.
  8. The application will ask you to put your Ray in flashboot mode, to do this turn off the phone, hold the volume down button while while connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  9. Follow the on screen instruction and your device will reboot. Notice that the reboot process will take longer at first.

How to install Root
Please note that this is only applied to devices with unlocked bootloader. Alternately, you can just install a custom kernel and root using zergrush method but if you want to try the .62 kernel from this stock rom then do this.

2. Enter device in fastboot mode. Turn off phone, hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer
  3. Download the recoverRAY.img provided below, you will get a zip file, extract it.
  4. Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
  7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type flashboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
  8. Now here's the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img
    *Notice that we didn't use fastboot flash boot ****.img here because as bin4ry said this recovery is designed to work just as recovery, if you flash it to your device it will NOT boot system anymore! This is just a temporary recovery for you so be careful not to flash it.
  9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will not enter temp CWM recovery
  10. Choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.

*to root your device with locked bootloader, they say you can install previous stock kernel and root using zergrush method.

How to install CWM
  2. Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don't miss the superuser promt
Thanks for this.. :) but.. i wonder what happened if i update from SEUS.. :-/ and also, is the kernel from aire already support Overclocking?

Last edited:
Thanks for this.. :) but.. i wonder what happened if i update from SEUS.. :-/ and also, is the kernel from aire already support Overclocking?

Aire said, his current kernel supports .62 but they are currently working for repack based on this new firmware.

I haven't tried installing any custom firmware at the moment, I want to test this stock firmware for changes and improvement especially the baseband and battery consumption.

Sent from my ST18i using xda premium

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Hm ok, btw, can you post the original link for rootxperia.zip?

EDIT: sorry you already did that :) thanks!

UPDATE: I'm trying to do SEUS update now though. Hope this thing won't brick.. :eek:

UPDATE 2: SEUS update won't brick our phone if it uses the Testpoint method :D O what a happy day it is.. :p Let's see if i can flash aire kernel back. :)

Last edited:

adarwis

Dec 7, 2011
Dumai
is that a global version or what ? some people said, that version has some bugs..

can we root this version with the new DoomLord v4 Root ?

from the Arc forum, i found that they can root their device with .62 firmware just by using flashtool.. can we do that so ?

thx

Hm ok, btw, can you post the original link for rootxperia.zip?

UPDATE: I'm trying to do SEUS update now though. Hope this thing won't brick.. :eek:

UPDATE 2: SEUS update won't brick our phone if it uses the Testpoint method :D O what a happy day it is.. :p Let's see if i can flash aire kernel back. :)

Wow that is good news. Update is still not available in my region.

is that a global version or what ? some people said, that version has some bugs..

can we root this version with the new DoomLord v4 Root ?

from the Arc forum, i found that they can root their device with .62 firmware just by using flashtool.. can we do that so ?

thx

The firmware is provided by Aire, however if you encounter ftf generic firmware, it will be nice if you post it here.

As to bugs, I'm using this firmware for a day now and I noticed improvement in battery and speed, no bugs so far. I haven't tried the doomlord v4 root, but rooting via recovery is easy.

Last edited:

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Wow that is good news. Update is still not available in my region.

The firmware is provided by Aire, however if you encounter ftf generic firmware, it will be nice if you post it here.

As to bugs, I'm using this firmware for a day now and I noticed improvement in battery and speed, no bugs so far. I haven't tried the doomlord v4 root, but rooting via recovery is easy.

Yep it is :) I have already flashed back aire's kernel and it is flawless :D no more test point required. Yay! Thanks for all the devs. :D

chiefy009

Oct 29, 2010
Xperia blog says the firmware is targeted for users in Middle East North Africa region.

Users else where may see little if any noticeable change

sent from my gorgeus Xperia Ray

San.subs

Dec 13, 2011
Does this not work if we previously updated the phone to 4.0.2.A.0.62 using SEUS?
Coz i got the following error when i ran the "fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img" command..

FAILED (remote: The Device must be rooted first)

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Does this not work if we previously updated the phone to 4.0.2.A.0.62 using SEUS?
Coz i got the following error when i ran the "fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img" command..

O that.. That means you need to unlock the bootloader (at least with Test Point method). Never thought that won't work before.

muz2000

May 29, 2009
most download link from MultiUpload cannot download the firmware 4.0.2.A.0.62 ROM, any alternative link?

Thanks.

If your bootloader is still locked you can not root your device using that method. The only work around is to install previous kernel and root using zergrush method.

San.subs

Dec 13, 2011
O that.. That means you need to unlock the bootloader (at least with Test Point method). Never thought that won't work before.

If your bootloader is still locked you can not root your device using that method. The only work around is to install previous kernel and root using zergrush method.

Thank you "idareyoutoclickthis" and "hansip87" for your replies.

In fact I had rooted my Ray earlier 4.0.2.A.0.42ver using the zergrush method using DooMLoRD_v4_Root Which I lost when I upgraded to 4.0.2.A.0.62ver. Now DooMLoRD_v4_Root won't work with 4.0.2.A.0.62ver update.

Now what about the bootloader thing? Sorry for being so dumb. Can you please elaborate a bit? I've got only got to the point wherein i checked the status using the service menu (*#*#.....#*#). It only says Rooting Status: Bootloader unlocking allowed: Yes.

What do I have to do now? Please help.

Thank you "idareyoutoclickthis" and "hansip87" for your replies.

In fact I had rooted my Ray earlier 4.0.2.A.0.42ver using the zergrush method using DooMLoRD_v4_Root Which I lost when I upgraded to 4.0.2.A.0.62ver. Now DooMLoRD_v4_Root won't work with 4.0.2.A.0.62ver update.

Now what about the bootloader thing? Sorry for being so dumb. Can you please elaborate a bit? I've got only got to the point wherein i checked the status using the service menu (*#*#.....#*#). It only says Rooting Status: Bootloader unlocking allowed: Yes.

What do I have to do now? Please help.

Indeed .62 is the latest built which include alot of improvements specially on batter issue.

If you don't want custom rom and kernel and is contented with the stock ROM and kernel then you don't need to unlock your bootloader.

to root your device, you need to flash stock 4.0.2.A.0.42 kernel only, you can do this with locked bootloader and root using zergrush method.

slimfady

Jul 13, 2009
Indeed .62 is the latest built which include alot of improvements specially on batter issue.

If you don't want custom rom and kernel and is contented with the stock ROM and kernel then you don't need to unlock your bootloader.

to root your device, you need to flash stock 4.0.2.A.0.42 kernel only, you can do this with locked bootloader and root using zergrush method.

Do I lose root if I restore the .62 kernel after rooting?

baradharajan

Jun 11, 2010
bangalore
hi, what is the work around for locked bootloader , i am using 4.0.2.A.0.62, i dont want to use any custome rom or mod i want only root intalled on this. i use ARC -S
Regards,
M.Baradharajan

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

hi, where can i get the original stock 4.0.2.A.0.42 ROM, not modified one to reflash from 4.0.2.A.0.62 rom.
Regards,
M.Baradharajan

Bazonga

Oct 9, 2011
hi, what is the work around for locked bootloader , i am using 4.0.2.A.0.62, i dont want to use any custome rom or mod i want only root intalled on this. i use ARC -S
Regards,
M.Baradharajan

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

hi, where can i get the original stock 4.0.2.A.0.42 ROM, not modified one to reflash from 4.0.2.A.0.62 rom.
Regards,
M.Baradharajan

Ask in the Arc forum please.

cul_jitu

Dec 4, 2011
even i got the same error remote: device must be rooted first... my bootloaders are unlocked.. wht shud i do now

donzeno

Jul 21, 2011

I dont read careful this note and now my phone's brick. I cannot access flashmode or fastbootmode anymore. Now my phone only log in temRECOVERY
Can anyone help me. From vietnam

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements
    3. Flashtool
    5. CWM

Installation:

How to install Root

7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type fastboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
    9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
    10. On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.

How to install CWM

Requirements
    3. Flashtool
    5. CWM

Installation:

How to install Root

7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type flashboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
    9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will not enter temp CWM recovery
    10. Choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.

How to install CWM
    Do I lose root if I restore the .62 kernel after rooting?

I'm afraid yes but i never tried it though cause my bootloader is unlocked.
    So the rooting section of the guide is for .62 rom AND kernel? I have unlocked bootloader with the test point method and .62 firmware from the factory and I want to know if it is safe to use this guide to get root because I want to skip the downgrade process.

I ask this because in the root section it says this:

Alternately, you can just install a custom kernel and root using zergrush method but if you want to try the .62 kernel from this stock rom then do this.

If I read that right its saying how to get root on .62 kernel if you wanted to try it?

Not rooting the kernel, but rooting Rom with temporary kernel for recovery. So beware though. Don't flash the temporary kernel as permanent.

Yeah you come to the right place buddy. ;-)

Sent from my ST18i using XDA App