[GUIDE] How to restore / import Line chat history!

Search This thread

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Just my 2c... This method if backup/restore sucks... not because of the OP, but because LINE doesn't have a batch backup/restore option!!! Have hundreds of conversations that I'd like to maintain... which means, hundreds of times of clicking backup etc etc, the hundreds of times clicking restore etc etc.

FYI, if you are willing to root your phone and pay for TIBackup Pro you can simplify the process. Backup LINE (user apps) and your SETTINGS (system apps) with TIBackup. Copy TIBackup folder to external sdcard or PC. Do whatever you were going to do that required you to backup/restore LINE. Load up TIBackup, load up the TIBackup folder, restore LINE APP+DATA, then goto the menu in TIBackup and scroll to the bottom and select 'manage android id' and select restore from backup (if you backed up the correct settings data under system data there will only be ONE option). Your phone will automatically reboot. Click on LINE, boom everything just like it was before.

Hi,

Does this method also keep group chats as well?
I've backed up my chats one by one but stupid group chats don't offer the "save all" option, only the e-mail text one. I'll probably give this a try anyway...
@TASL, dude, you are the MAN!! Restoring the device ID with TiBu totally worked!! I had no idea this was the problem with this silly LINE app. Thank you!

Last edited:

Rasyidy

Jul 13, 2015
Bro, i have line for ipad, there's only backup to text file, i have send it by email and already got the txt file on the new gadget, then how to import the txt file? HUGE THANKS

rregn

Apr 25, 2012
1. Restore Line with Titanium Backup (app+data) (DON'T OPEN THE LINE APP YET!)

2. Log into a root shell and delete the previous settings:

sqlite3 /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line
delete from setting;
.quit

3. Now we have to delete this xml only if you are using a recent version. In previous ones it didn't even exist as far as I know
rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml

!

you did not specify which line version you tested - and there are many.
I use 3.9.0 , here the file is /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
(i move from Huawei ascend g330 to honor holly).

the chats of the same day are not there anymore, but i could import it for this contact.

But i had to go htrough the SMS-verification.
thanks

Last edited:

daimyorl

Jun 6, 2013
you did not specify which line version you tested - and there are many. I use 3.9.0 , and this does not work (i move from Huawei ascend g330 to honor holly).
the delete is ok, the xml does not exist.
when i start line now, i get not even the green welcome screen - but a flickering screen

also very interesting that some people report they couln not found the import chat button. On my (old installation of) line 3.9.0 there is it.

Hi rregn,

I tested this method with many versions up to the 4.0.1 and I can confirm it works. I don't know about versions more recent than that as I'm not using Line any more.
But you are trying to restore into a different android device. Line saves the android id into its settings and won't work if you don't do something else.
There is a message in this thread by TASL about recovering your previous device id. You should probably use both the steps in my previous message and recovering the android id as said by TASL.

Good luck!

rregn

Apr 25, 2012
Line movement and Android ID

Yes, i read about this Android ID stored in line in another thread, but i really did not want to fake the Android ID, because i dont have any idea about the effects of that.
I looked for the Android ID in the setting table of the "naver_line" database file and in all xml files, but could not find it.
so it is quite a unconvenient behavior, if every app would reqire that, i would not change my phone anymore

ayunisha

Oct 26, 2015
I have reinstalled the line because i do the reset factory of my phone. When i wanted to log in, line app said i will lost everything if i use my email add. then i did it. i have my old backup file in my phone. but i can't import that backup. what should i do? someone please help me

Mayyao2001

Dec 7, 2015
Is there a way to restore my chat history if I did not back up and just logged in in the new devise, it seems I lost all history....

Ukmasterzzzz

Dec 14, 2015
I have line back up chat thats not mine but id like see the user id is there any way i can open this when i dont at the moment know the user id

N.F.P.

Jan 7, 2016
FAILED

:(When I touch the import chat, the line said "failed to import". Please help me:(

jengobengo

Oct 23, 2013
Just my 2c... This method if backup/restore sucks... not because of the OP, but because LINE doesn't have a batch backup/restore option!!! Have hundreds of conversations that I'd like to maintain... which means, hundreds of times of clicking backup etc etc, the hundreds of times clicking restore etc etc.

FYI, if you are willing to root your phone and pay for TIBackup Pro you can simplify the process. Backup LINE (user apps) and your SETTINGS (system apps) with TIBackup. Copy TIBackup folder to external sdcard or PC. Do whatever you were going to do that required you to backup/restore LINE. Load up TIBackup, load up the TIBackup folder, restore LINE APP+DATA, then goto the menu in TIBackup and scroll to the bottom and select 'manage android id' and select restore from backup (if you backed up the correct settings data under system data there will only be ONE option). Your phone will automatically reboot. Click on LINE, boom everything just like it was before.
If I did not backup my Android ID before factory resetting my phone, is there a way to still load up my LINE backup via Titanium? I am using the same device, however the ROM was acting funny so I had to factory reset and setup from scratch. All I have is the Titanium backup of the LINE app.

Since I don't have a phone number anymore and the Facebook age verification isn't working, I can't even log in to LINE (which would wipe all my chat data anyway).

TASL

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles USA
If I did not backup my Android ID before factory resetting my phone, is there a way to still load up my LINE backup via Titanium? I am using the same device, however the ROM was acting funny so I had to factory reset and setup from scratch. All I have is the Titanium backup of the LINE app.

Since I don't have a phone number anymore and the Facebook age verification isn't working, I can't even log in to LINE (which would wipe all my chat data anyway).

Without a titanium backup for settings or a nandroid, I can't think of another way to restore your account. I always remind my relatives to register with an email account, that way at least you'll get your groups, friends, and last two weeks of convos back.

jengobengo

Oct 23, 2013
Without a titanium backup for settings or a nandroid, I can't think of another way to restore your account. I always remind my relatives to register with an email account, that way at least you'll get your groups, friends, and last two weeks of convos back.
Thanks. While my LINE ID still exists, LINE customer support is saying since it is not linked to my email (I unlinked it in trying to create a new account in order to link the ID to that new account...which I later found is not possible) I am likely stuck having to create a new account. So my LINE ID will fade into the ether I guess...

To bring this back from being a LINE customer service/account only post, do you know if my friends list (ideally with Line IDs) is stored in any files in the Titanium Backup? Without any other contact info for so many on my LINE friends list, I am likely unable to update most of them when I create a new account.

TASL

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles USA
Thanks. While my LINE ID still exists, LINE customer support is saying since it is not linked to my email (I unlinked it in trying to create a new account in order to link the ID to that new account...which I later found is not possible) I am likely stuck having to create a new account. So my LINE ID will fade into the ether I guess...

To bring this back from being a LINE customer service/account only post, do you know if my friends list (ideally with Line IDs) is stored in any files in the Titanium Backup? Without any other contact info for so many on my LINE friends list, I am likely unable to update most of them when I create a new account.

http://www.techgravy.net/line-chat-history-backup-restore-android/

Can try editing the SQL database after restore. Might work, but I gave up on that method when I discovered the acct was tied to the android ID.

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
Is there any way to restore an Android backup to an iOS device? From what I've read it seems iOS Line doesn't have a chat history restore option. That leaves me with the sqlite backup. Can anybody confirm that the Android sqlite db can be renamed to the iOS file and have it work?

khdfma820

Aug 1, 2009
I successful moved Line with Titanium Backup and Sqlite3. Thanks for this solution!

Just the hidden chats make Line crash now when I made a hidden chat with this person over the old phone. It doesn't happen with persons, I never had a hidden chat with.

Any ideas?

HappyNana

Feb 24, 2016
Uninstalled and Installed back on the same phone, previous chat history???

Hi, I accidently uninstalled LINE in my phone and when I installed it back, I have to login and it said that all the previous chat history will be deleted? Should I continue logging in because I dont want to lose all the previous chat history!! Please help!! Is there any way I can access all the history back because it should be somewhere in the phone, i just uninstalled and installed it back seconds ago! I'm scared to login in case i really lose all the chat history!!

Fuikisama

Apr 8, 2016
Is it possible to transfer chat from PC Line version to Android Line version???
Because my android line doesn't have any backup chat history
Thanks before

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Hi, I accidently uninstalled LINE in my phone and when I installed it back, I have to login and it said that all the previous chat history will be deleted? Should I continue logging in because I dont want to lose all the previous chat history!! Please help!! Is there any way I can access all the history back because it should be somewhere in the phone, i just uninstalled and installed it back seconds ago! I'm scared to login in case i really lose all the chat history!!
Actually if you've already have PC line version before
You can see all the chat with your friends
But the problem is you can't import/transfer it on the Android Line version :crying:

Which it's one thing I really want to do now
If it's possible
Because I still don't know if there's a way to do it :(

lkslef

Oct 17, 2012
Is there any way to restore an Android backup to an iOS device? From what I've read it seems iOS Line doesn't have a chat history restore option. That leaves me with the sqlite backup. Can anybody confirm that the Android sqlite db can be renamed to the iOS file and have it work?

Yes. You should try Backuptrans Android Line to iPhone Transfer. It lets you transfer and merge Line chat history from your Android devcie to your iOS device in clicks.
http://www.backuptrans.com/android-line-to-iphone-transfer.html

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Skip to How to Import Chat History below to skip the background reading.

Yes, there is a graphical import method for Line!

If you use Line, and you want to change between devices, it seems as though it is nearly impossible to backup (export) and restore (import) your Line chat history. I have searched XDA, Google, AndroidForums, Line's (useless) online help, etc. No help, no info. There are some guides about how to use a SQL editor to fool the app, etc., but that was just way too much effort for me, so I finally gave up and just switched. BUT, before I did, I went ahead and exported all my chats, even knowing there was no way to import them, just in case. Well, that just paid off.

There is absolutely no method available within Line to restore your chat history, right?! WHY is there a backup option? There MUST be a way! Seemingly no.

I just figured it out. And when I explain it, you too will wonder, why in the !#$%@^$@%!#@$!#$@^*%^&(*%^@# has Naver not published this?????

I was on my way to back everything up in preparation for a new ROM and figured I'd do a complete and total system wipe, meaning, I went to take a look at my internal storage (SDcard, Emulated, 0, whatever you refer to it as), to ensure that I got all the little things I want, like Viber pictures, WhatsApp pics, etc. And there I saw it. The folder. And, like you are now thinking, I thought, just maybe...

How to Import Chat History (Abbreviated, Quick and Easy)

Copy your chatHistory.zip file to internal storage sdcard/LINE_Backup
    Start Line, open an existing chat or start a new chat with the person whose chat history you want to restore
    Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, Chat Settings, and look what just showed up below the (formerly) useless Backup Chat History option

How to Backup and Restore Chat History (Additional Details)

Line offers a "Backup Chat History" option, but keep in mind, this is conversation / per-person specific. That means, you need to do it for each individual person.

For my own ease of use, and to make transferring things easy, now that I know what the process is, here's what I did.

Backing Up

Go into the conversation you want to backup.
    Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, and select Chat Settings.
    Select Backup Chat History, Backup All
    Say Yes to e-mail this chat - in a previous version, I had to enter the conversation person's name in the subject, the new Line now does this for me.
    Repeat this process for every conversation you want to migrate to a new device.

Restoring

On your new device, save the attachments from each e-mail into the /InternalSDCard/LINE_Backup/ directory.
    Start Line, go to Chats, Tap the Chat Bubble in the upper right to start a new conversation, select the person you want to restore
    Your chat window will be empty, but from here, you just follow the instructions above, basically, drop-down arrow, Chat Settings, Import Chat History

And that's it.

I REALLY hope this helps some people out. I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure this out, and as usual, once you know the solution, it's pretty simple and seems so obvious.

If I helped, throw me some Thanks button so I know I wasn't the only one!
    I just found a method for importing the chat history using Titanium Backup and the terminal. You need root for this. Recently Line made some changes that made this more
    Hope you find this useful.

2. Log into a root shell and delete the previous settings:

delete from setting;
    .quit

3. Now we have to delete this xml only if you are using a recent version. In previous ones it didn't even exist as far as I know
    rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml

4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password.
    You will receive a warning about losing your chat history. Just ignore it and...

5. Enjoy!
    This gives me this error:
    Error: unable to open database "data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line": unable to open database file
    I use the emulator in ROM Toolbox Lite
    Got it! I was missing the su command to make the emulator rooted.
    I also found the jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml file in a slightly different location than where daimyorl said above (but the credits go to him). For me it was into /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/

Then, the complete instructions that worked for me are:

2. Log into a shell and delete the settings:
      Code:
      su
      delete from setting;
      .quit
    3. Remove jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
      Code:
      rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
    4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password. It will also ask your phone number for the confirmation SMS.
    5. Enjoy!
    Hello there!

As per my usual routine, whenever I find myself doing a full wipe on my Android device, I always make sure to come back here and consult the steps and recommendations shared to avoid those annoying limitations when it comes to restoring the LINE app without a proper backup system. Seriously, it's quite frustrating how they make it so complicated!

But hey, I've got some great news to share with you. In the past, I used to rely on the outdated Titanium Backup, but it's difficult to make it work for most of the apps nowadays so I switched to this app called Swift Backup. And the good news is, with the proper configuration, Swift Backup seems to be capable of restoring LINE as well.

How to do it? It appears that if you check the box labeled "Restore app SSAIDs" in Swift Backup, LINE opens up without any additional hassle. This nifty feature restores the app's original ID. Although I personally believe it may not be necessary, just to be on the safe side, I recommend activating this option when creating the backup, not just during the restoration process. Oh, and one more thing, after restoring LINE, it's essential to restart your device; otherwise, you might encounter some troublesome issues.

Initially, when I tapped on the LINE icon, nothing happened. You know, that all-too-familiar symptom where the app detects that you're using a different device. Even after restarting, the app still refused to open. However, I stumbled upon a little trick that did the trick for me: I uninstalled the app and then restored it again. Voilà! That did the trick, and I was able to use LINE without any additional fuss. Hence, I wholeheartedly recommend considering Swift Backup for your backup needs. While there may be other apps out there with similar functionalities, I haven't come across them just yet. If you happen to know any, I'd be delighted to hear your recommendations. All I can say is that Swift Backup works like a charm and can save you from the laborious steps that this amazing community has managed to decipher. Of course, if a direct restoration method exists, all the better!

To sum it up, here's a quick rundown of the steps to restore LINE, as I mentioned based on my personal experience:

1. Opt for Swift Backup or other backup app with SSAID restoring capabilities
    2. When you restore LINE using Swift Backup, make sure to turn on the "Restore app SSAIDs" option. I think It's not required, but it's a good idea to enable this option when you're creating the backup, not just when you're restoring it.
    3. Once the restoration is complete, it's crucial to restart your device. Trust me, this step is vital; otherwise, LINE may not open.
    4. After restarting your device just opening the LINE app should do the trick and you could continue using LINE in your new device (actually I think that probably could let you keep using LINE in 2 different devices)
    5. If the LINE app still won't open uninstall the app and restore the backup once again (actually most of the time I had to uninstall before I could make it work).

Please bear in mind that these steps might vary depending on the specific device and software versions you're using. If you happen to stumble upon any additional tips or alternative methods, feel free to share them with the wonderful folks in this forum.

I sincerely hope this information assists you in restoring LINE after a full wipe without causing you unnecessary stress.
    Best of luck!