FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,138

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th December 2012, 09:08 PM |#2171  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelX

That seems to work as long as I take the picture from the tablet, but if I take it from the camera, follow shot doesn't appear. Son has decided I have played with this enough for now, so will try again later. Thank you both for the help! Will watch the posted YouTube video soon as I get a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

In Image Review - Follow Shot mode, it is impossible to take a photo with the tablet. I don't fully understand what you are doing. Open DSLR Controller, press the menu button, select Image Review - Follow Shot, select your viewing mode (Fullscreen for me)... profit.

From here, your camera should exit live view/mirror lockup mode, and be free for operation. The tablet should just show a blank screen until you take your first photo. Take a shot, wait a second or two, and it will show on the tablet. Take another shot, and it should replace the first image. You should be able to zoom in/out on the tablet as in any image viewer, and it should continue to update as you take more shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to daveid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daveid Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 09:16 PM |#2172  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid

In Image Review - Follow Shot mode, it is impossible to take a photo with the tablet. I don't fully understand what you are doing. Open DSLR Controller, press the menu button, select Image Review - Follow Shot, select your viewing mode (Fullscreen for me)... profit.

From here, your camera should exit live view/mirror lockup mode, and be free for operation. The tablet should just show a blank screen until you take your first photo. Take a shot, wait a second or two, and it will show on the tablet. Take another shot, and it should replace the first image. You should be able to zoom in/out on the tablet as in any image viewer, and it should continue to update as you take more shots.

i totally said the wrong thing before, but I still need to go back and try to get this follow shot working. I did manage to find my way there, and all I ever saw was the black screen. Did not ever load a photo after taking a shot from camera. I'll go back and fiddle with that again, try to get it working. thanks again!
5th December 2012, 11:32 PM |#2173  

More
Quote:

i totally said the wrong thing before, but I still need to go back and try to get this follow shot working. I did manage to find my way there, and all I ever saw was the black screen. Did not ever load a photo after taking a shot from camera. I'll go back and fiddle with that again, try to get it working. thanks again!

One last note, this does require you to shoot in either Jpeg or RAW+Jpeg, I'm almost certain of that.
6th December 2012, 12:02 AM |#2174  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid

One last note, this does require you to shoot in either Jpeg or RAW+Jpeg, I'm almost certain of that.

I bet that's the problem then. I was shooting in RAW. I'll try RAW + Jpeg. Thanks for the tip!
6th December 2012, 10:27 AM |#2175  
OP Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Well, it does actually state in the menu - you know, the place where you need to put your finger to start follow shot mode - that it requires JPG.

If you're wondering why - the transfer time of the RAWs may interfere with the shooting if you're shooting really rapidly (like holding down the button in continuous mode for 30 seconds or so)... if you don't care about the JPGs at all, I'd shoot in RAW + small JPG. For quick review small JPG is usually more than enough quality and they transfer really fast so chances of interfering with capture are pretty much non-existant. Don't get me wrong, shooting in large JPG does not actually have a high chance of interfering, but faster is better.
6th December 2012, 12:08 PM |#2176  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

I don't think that's even possible (as in: the in-camera firmware does not support shutting off the LCD screen during recording - regardless of what you send over USB)

That's the stupidest thing I wouldn't expect from Canon. Why would I need a liveview on camera, if I have it on PC/android. I hope the Magic Lantern solves this one day :\
6th December 2012, 12:16 PM |#2177  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjJuvan

That's the stupidest thing I wouldn't expect from Canon. Why would I need a liveview on camera, if I have it on PC/android. I hope the Magic Lantern solves this one day :\

I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with Canon's latest moves and decisions, but them doing something that isn't completely dumb is pretty rare these days. If I wasn't invested in Canon so much, I would jump ship.
6th December 2012, 02:43 PM |#2178  

More
Quote:

Well, it does actually state in the menu - you know, the place where you need to put your finger to start follow shot mode - that it requires JPG.

If you're wondering why - the transfer time of the RAWs may interfere with the shooting if you're shooting really rapidly (like holding down the button in continuous mode for 30 seconds or so)... if you don't care about the JPGs at all, I'd shoot in RAW + small JPG. For quick review small JPG is usually more than enough quality and they transfer really fast so chances of interfering with capture are pretty much non-existant. Don't get me wrong, shooting in large JPG does not actually have a high chance of interfering, but faster isy better.

Thanks for explanation. Makes sense, no problems with that. I just wasn't sure where in the app I needed to be in order to do the image review like I wanted until previous poster helped. Then didn't actually have the time yesterday to go back and play with it more, which is when I would have noticed the JPEG requirement Can't wait to get back to it today. Wonderful to have an app like this! I shoot little kids mostly and will be glad to do away with them clambering all over my tethered laptop if I so much as blink an eye.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
6th December 2012, 02:56 PM |#2179  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I shoot little kids mostly and will be glad to do away with them

Imagine somebody read that without context.

(I can't help myself)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 03:25 PM |#2180  

More
Quote:

(I can't help myself)

lol!
6th December 2012, 09:25 PM |#2181  

More
Quote:

(I can't help myself)

Laughter is the best medicine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)