FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial][HowTo] Root Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360

949 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,545
 
Post Reply Email Thread
28th April 2013, 10:16 PM |#31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Sadface
I just updated to S5630XXMC2 firmware and now I cant root my phone anymore... Does the zip fila heve to be updated as well? Because after the previous firmware update rooting worked just fine with the same .zip file I had before...
 
 
Bruce Wayne
28th April 2013, 10:31 PM |#32  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddadeluxe

I just updated to S5630XXMC2 firmware and now I cant root my phone anymore... Does the zip fila heve to be updated as well? Because after the previous firmware update rooting worked just fine with the same .zip file I had before...

No.
You can use the same zip file as long as it is gingerbread and galaxy y.
how did you update your rom?
Via odin or s/w update?

A Hero Can Be Anyone
28th April 2013, 10:37 PM |#33  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Bruce Wayne]

No.
You can use the same zip file as long as it is gingerbread and galaxy y.
how did you update your rom?
Via odin or s/w update?

A Hero Can Be Anyone

I did it via Odin because kies kept crying about low battery (although at 100%).

I tried the method from 2nd post as well, same result. No root.

Thank you very much for your help!
28th April 2013, 10:39 PM |#34  
Deadly's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 4,036
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddadeluxe

I did it via Odin because kies kept crying about low battery (although at 100%).

I tried the method from 2nd post as well, same result. No root.

Thank you very much for your help!

if you were on gb and still on gb.. it will work.. you must flash update zip in stock recovery.. did you by mistake flash in cwm?

____________________________________
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."-Albert Einstein
Bruce Wayne
28th April 2013, 10:40 PM |#35  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddadeluxe

I did it via Odin because kies kept crying about low battery (although at 100%).

I tried the method from 2nd post as well, same result. No root.

Thank you very much for your help!

Look for update zips by
-caliban666-.
He has some more update.zips with bloatware rwmovers.
what did it result into after flashing the update zip?
Try wiping cache from stock recovery before rooting.
A Hero Can Be Anyone
28th April 2013, 10:47 PM |#36  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly

if you were on gb and still on gb.. it will work.. you must flash update zip in stock recovery.. did you by mistake flash in cwm?

____________________________________
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."-Albert Einstein

cwm = clockworkmod? no the stock recovery mode vol up etc.

dont know what gb is tbh ^^

As for the other update.zip files, will have a search.

EDIT:

Just for the record, I reverted back to S5360XXMB1 the same way I went to MC2 and now it roots just fine with the dusty old update.zip.

Seems like there actually is a bit of a change here... And btw I´ve tried T-Mobile branded MC2 and non branded MC2 both wouldnt root.

Maybe you want to look intop this.

Cheers!
Bruce Wayne
29th April 2013, 05:48 AM |#37  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddadeluxe

cwm = clockworkmod? no the stock recovery mode vol up etc.

dont know what gb is tbh ^^

As for the other update.zip files, will have a search.

EDIT:

Just for the record, I reverted back to S5360XXMB1 the same way I went to MC2 and now it roots just fine with the dusty old update.zip.

Seems like there actually is a bit of a change here... And btw I´ve tried T-Mobile branded MC2 and non branded MC2 both wouldnt root.

Maybe you want to look intop this.

Cheers!

Yep.
cwm is ClockWorkMod and gb is Gingerbread.

You won't loose root if you update it via s/w update.

A Hero Can Be Anyone
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
29th April 2013, 10:49 PM |#38  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne

Yep.
cwm is ClockWorkMod and gb is Gingerbread.

You won't loose root if you update it via s/w update.

A Hero Can Be Anyone

Figured the gb out after using my brain

I´d like to update via Kies but as I said it keeps crying about battery status. Well it did, because now after flashing with Odin, Kies tells me software updates arent supported through Kies for my device... bollocks.

Well, Im gonna stay with MB1 then.

Cheers for helping though.
25th May 2013, 04:24 AM |#39  
Member
Flag Cartago
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Hi,

I tried to download the update to root, and it detects a virus, please check before uploading any file,actually I tried downloading from other sites and it´s the same, it´s strange that it shows a virus on these files.

Thanks!
27th May 2013, 03:53 AM |#40  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Clock how much time i need to update binaries ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatHeat

Root your Galaxy Y

Rooting is the first step to customise your device. Without rooting absolutely 'extraordinary' nothing is possible. Yes your warranty becomes void after that. So what?? You can always get it back after unrooting it. So chill. No matter where you read that its very risky or something like that, I'll say refrain from going to those sites. They are just putting unnecessary fear into your mind. Most probably they fear you could make your device function better than them. So lets go on with it. I've made it simple for you. Just follow the steps.

1. Charge your device more than 80%. Coz you still have a lot of work to do...

2. Backup your contacts, messages, apps and everything you want. For the contacts and messages you can just about use anything off the Play Store with a few stars and good reviews. But for the apps I would personally recommend the Astro app. Yes I know what you want to ask. It's free..

3. Download the zip file for root and place it directly on your SD card, not in any folder. Do not extract it.

4. Switch off your phone.

5. Press the Home button, Power button and the Volume Up button and keep holding it until the Samsung logo appears. Now let go of the buttons. You will see that some writings have come in red colour. This is called the Recovery Mode. Your touch screen wont work now. So don't panic if you touch the screen and nothing happens. Only the volume buttons, home button and the power buttons work now. Volume buttons for going up and down. Home button for selecting and Power key for going back to previous screen.

6. Select 'Apply update from sd card'.

7. Choose the file that you have downloaded and select yes.

8. After that you'll be taken to another screen where there will be an option 'Reboot system now'. Select it and be patient and wait for your phone to switch on.

9. Check your apps and if you see the Superuser app, it means you are rooted.

10. Now open it and update the binaries.

That's it. You are good to go. The proud owner of a rooted SGY.

i just rooted my fon and i can see an application super user .
when i am updating binaries... i see a massage that " thats cool do it again.." how much time i need to update it?
27th May 2013, 05:08 AM |#41  
MrJellybean's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ......slurp......
Thanks Meter: 98
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02x

Hi,

I tried to download the update to root, and it detects a virus, please check before uploading any file,actually I tried downloading from other sites and it´s the same, it´s strange that it shows a virus on these files.

Thanks!

It's a false positive alert. It has no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitretshu

i just rooted my fon and i can see an application super user .
when i am updating binaries... i see a massage that " thats cool do it again.." how much time i need to update it?

No. Need. It's updated. It's added just for fun.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
eatheat, galaxy y, root, xda

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes