if you were on gb and still on gb.. it will work.. you must flash update zip in stock recovery.. did you by mistake flash in cwm?
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."-Albert Einstein
cwm = clockworkmod? no the stock recovery mode vol up etc.
dont know what gb is tbh ^^
As for the other update.zip files, will have a search.
Just for the record, I reverted back to S5360XXMB1 the same way I went to MC2 and now it roots just fine with the dusty old update.zip.
Seems like there actually is a bit of a change here... And btw I´ve tried T-Mobile branded MC2 and non branded MC2 both wouldnt root.
Maybe you want to look intop this.
Root your Galaxy Y
Rooting is the first step to customise your device. Without rooting absolutely 'extraordinary' nothing is possible. Yes your warranty becomes void after that. So what?? You can always get it back after unrooting it. So chill. No matter where you read that its very risky or something like that, I'll say refrain from going to those sites. They are just putting unnecessary fear into your mind. Most probably they fear you could make your device function better than them. So lets go on with it. I've made it simple for you. Just follow the steps.
1. Charge your device more than 80%. Coz you still have a lot of work to do...
2. Backup your contacts, messages, apps and everything you want. For the contacts and messages you can just about use anything off the Play Store with a few stars and good reviews. But for the apps I would personally recommend the Astro app. Yes I know what you want to ask. It's free..
3. Download the zip file for root and place it directly on your SD card, not in any folder. Do not extract it.
4. Switch off your phone.
5. Press the Home button, Power button and the Volume Up button and keep holding it until the Samsung logo appears. Now let go of the buttons. You will see that some writings have come in red colour. This is called the Recovery Mode. Your touch screen wont work now. So don't panic if you touch the screen and nothing happens. Only the volume buttons, home button and the power buttons work now. Volume buttons for going up and down. Home button for selecting and Power key for going back to previous screen.
6. Select 'Apply update from sd card'.
7. Choose the file that you have downloaded and select yes.
8. After that you'll be taken to another screen where there will be an option 'Reboot system now'. Select it and be patient and wait for your phone to switch on.
9. Check your apps and if you see the Superuser app, it means you are rooted.
10. Now open it and update the binaries.
That's it. You are good to go. The proud owner of a rooted SGY.
|eatheat, galaxy y, root, xda|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|