[Info] Rooted user? Learn to update properly

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
*The below post covers up to 4.4.4 only. for 5.0, read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/5-0-basic-overview-root-options-lollipop-t2947144*

012.png

I see a lot of threads asking about updating to Lollipop and about returning to stock to receive OTA updates.. from rooted users.

I have created this thread as I have strong feelings about rooted users and OTA's in general, so I wanted to collect my thoughts together in a single thread to hopefully persuade rooted users to avoid OTA updates. Of course, you're free to choose to ignore this.
010.png

022.png

OTA's are simple for unrooted, noob users. They are minimal effort, quick and require no knowledge. However they have a propensity to go wrong - often resulting in a user having to factory reset to get things working.

OTA's are designed to be small to save on data usage. This is achieved by not supplying the entire ROM, kernel or app, but instead, including patches. These patch files (*.p) will unpack the recovery.img, bootloader.img, boot.img or *.apk and insert the new code into it. This means the OTA expects an exact version to install. You cannot skip an OTA and expect to apply a later one because the code in the patch might not "fit". Also, this is why modified users cannot apply an OTA. There are ways for rooted, stock kernel, no modification users to apply OTA updates but it is not recommended

Please note, rooted users will still receive the OTA notification. You do not need to apply it though. Some Custom ROMS even receive it.
020.png

032.png

Well if you are modified, you have to first return completely to stock to apply an OTA. This is a relatively long process compared to other options available to you. If you are simply rooted with stock kernel and no modifications, you can simply re-apply root after accepting the OTA, but it's a bit messy and still - it's an OTA that can go wrong. I think part of OTA's appeal is you can do it anywhere - but this is also it's biggest problem. rooted users need resources to be available to them so they can remedy whatever needs remedying after application.

In short, it's just not the best option, Why would anyone ever choose "not the best"?
030.png

042.png

It all depends what you want to keep going forward.

I don't want root or custom recovery

If you no longer want root, simply return to stock using google's factory images. The factory image package contains all the files needed to return to stock:

- boot.img
- recovery.img
- bootloader.img
- system.img
- cache.img
- userdata.img
- radio.img

It also includes a windows batch file (.bat) and a Linux shell script (.sh) that will automate the above. This will wipe your data.

If you don't want to lose your sdcard data, if you have a custom recovery, you can factory reset, fastboot flash individually the recovery.img, system.img and boot.img as this will keep /data partition in tact, which is where your /sdcard is located

I want to keep root

You have a couple options here.

You could like above, fastboot flash individually the system.img and boot.img (not recovery.img) then reflash supersu from your custom recovery. Please note, with lollipop as of now, you need as special modified boot.img, not the stock one - so this still is not the quickest method.

Alternatively, you can flash a pre-rooted zip*. Within a couple of hours of the factory image becoming available, guys from XDA will release pre-rooted zips that you simply flash from a custom recovery. This will be a quick process. Put the zip on your /sdcard, boot into recovery and flash it.

With both these options, you very well may need to factory reset after flashing roms, especially if it's a version jump - just as you may need to do with an OTA update. The benefit of being rooted however, is that you can use titanium backup to backup your apps and take a Nandroid backup too, rooted users upgrading should keep these available on the sdcard before updating.
*Please note with Android 5.0 Lollipop, you need to flash a ROM.zip, Permissive kernel and SuperSU all at once. You have to download all 3 files and flash them one after the other in that order. You can flash some custom kernels, such as elementalx straight over permissive kernel. Also, you can ONLY flash elementalX as it allows root to run at boot (without permissive kernel) however, some apps NEED permissive to run anyway
040.png

052.png

OTA is designed for noobs. Granted, those root users asking how to return to stock or thinking OTA is the only update method available - are also noobs... If you're going to be rooted, you should understand what you have and what it means to be rooted. Familiarise yourselves with fastboot. Familiarise yourself with your recovery. Learn how to take backups and you will get much more out of your phone that constantly wasting time returning to stock, applying OTA's then re-rooting. You're wasting time doing this - it's a fools errand. I hope this thread helps to open your eyes and your minds.

If you still want to (return to stock in order to) accept OTA updates, even after reading this thread (perhaps because doing things properly mean more work for you) then perhaps you shouldn't be rooted. Having, maintaining and understanding root takes effort and if you're not willing to put the time in, you will become a danger to your phone and possibly a drain on this forum too ;) We write lots of guides and info threads for your benefit. If you have questions, please just ask.
050.png

062.png

adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU)

All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! - Understand the basics before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 )

How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Understand how to undo whatever you do before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 )

OTA Help-Desk - Understand how OTA's work and what this means if you are rooted (by @Sandman-007)
060.png

Last edited:

androidsnax

Feb 17, 2011
Glasgow
Thanks for this - I am rooted and have a basic knowledge of fastboot from unlocking and rooting the N5 last year and the N4 before that.. however, as I've not touched it for about that long it's probably about time I start the reading process again to get ready for some Lollipop action!

I had been planning on getting the factory images from Google and using fastboot to fresh flash it - looks like that's not really necessary tho?

Thanks ;)

...sent from the Nexus 5000

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for this - I am rooted and have a basic knowledge of fastboot from unlocking and rooting the N5 last year and the N4 before that.. however, as I've not touched it for about that long it's probably about time I start the reading process again to get ready for some Lollipop action!

I had been planning on getting the factory images from Google and using fastboot to fresh flash it - looks like that's not really necessary tho?

Thanks ;)

If you want to keep root, The best thing to do would be to wait for a pre-rooted rom.zip - which should also contain the custom boot.img needed to give root permissions...

Just make sure you do all your backups first if you want to keep stuff.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
I see a lot of threads asking about updating to Lollipop and about returning to stock to receive OTA updates.. from rooted users.

I have created this thread as I have strong feelings about rooted users and OTA's in general, so I wanted to collect my thoughts together in a single thread to hopefully persuade rooted users to avoid OTA updates. Of course, you're free to choose to ignore this.

OTA background

OTA's are simple for unrooted, noob users. They are minimal effort, quick and require no knowledge. However they have a propensity to go wrong - often resulting in a user having to factory reset to get things working.

OTA's are designed to be small to save on data usage. This is achieved by not supplying the entire ROM, kernel or app, but instead, including patches. These patch files (*.p) will unpack the recovery.img, bootloader.img, boot.img or *.apk and insert the new code into it. This means the OTA expects an exact version to install. You cannot skip an OTA and expect to apply a later one because the code in the patch might not "fit". Also, this is why modified users cannot apply an OTA. There are ways for rooted, stock kernel, no modification users to apply OTA updates but it is not recommended

line_separator_big.png

Why shouldn't rooted users apply OTA's if they can?

Well if you are modified, you have to first return completely to stock to apply an OTA. This is a relatively long process compared to other options available to you. If you are simply rooted with stock kernel and no modifications, you can simply re-apply root after accepting the OTA, but it's a bit messy and still - it's an OTA that can go wrong. I think part of OTA's appeal is you can do it anywhere - but this is also it's biggest problem. rooted users need resources to be available to them so they can remedy whatever needs remedying after application.

In short, it's just not the best option, Why would anyone ever choose "not the best"?

line_separator_big.png

So what are the actual options?

If you no longer want root, simply return to stock using google's factory images. The factory image package contains all the files needed to return to stock:

- boot.img
- recovery.img
- bootloader.img
- system.img
- cache.img
- userdata.img
- radio.img

It also includes a windows batch file (.bat) and a Linux shell script (.sh) that will automate the above. This will wipe your data.

If you don't want to lose your sdcard data, if you have a custom recovery, you can factory reset, fastboot flash individually the recovery.img, system.img and boot.img as this will keep /data partition in tact, which is where your /sdcard is located

I want to keep root

You could like above, fastboot flash individually the system.img and boot.img (not recovery.img) then reflash supersu from your custom recovery. Please note, with lollipop as of now, you need as special modified boot.img, not the stock one - so this still is not the quickest method.

Alternatively, you can flash a pre-rooted zip. Within a couple of hours of the factory image becoming available, guys from XDA will release pre-rooted zips that you simply flash from a custom recovery. This will be a quick process. Put the zip on your /sdcard, boot into recovery and flash it.

With both these options, you very well may need to factory reset after flashing roms, especially if it's a version jump - just as you may need to do with an OTA update. The benefit of being rooted however, is that you can use titanium backup to backup your apps and take a Nandroid backup too, rooted users upgrading should keep these available on the sdcard before updating.

line_separator_big.png

Conclusion

OTA is designed for noobs. Granted, those root users asking how to return to stock or thinking OTA is the only update method available - are also noobs... If you're going to be rooted, you should understand what you have and what it means to be rooted. Familiarise yourselves with fastboot. Familiarise yourself with your recovery. Learn how to take backups and you will get much more out of your phone that constantly wasting time returning to stock, applying OTA's then re-rooting. You're wasting time doing this - it's a fools errand. I hope this thread helps to open your eyes and your minds.

line_separator_big.png

useful links

adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU)

All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! - Understand the basics before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 )

How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Understand how to undo whatever you do before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 )

OTA Help-Desk - Understand how OTA's work and what this means if you are rooted (by @Sandman-007)

Seems like we've gone with what I previously said about people who want OTAs while rooted :p

You should also add that if one STILL wants to take OTAs for some silly reason, even after reading this thread, he/she should stay away from root access completely and use their phone like any other unknowledgable/ignorant person would, like someone that OTAs were meant for. :angel:

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Seems like we've gone with what I previously said about people who want OTAs while rooted :p

You should also add that if one STILL wants to take OTAs for some silly reason, even after reading this thread, he/she should stay away from root access completely and use their phone like any other unknowledgable/ignorant person would, like someone that OTAs were meant for. :angel:

Yep :p

Reactions: Elluel

tgrgrd00

Aug 27, 2010
New Orleans
Oh and if anyone has any suggestions for things I should include in the OP, please let me know.

Probably goes without saying but a link to a pre-rooted ROM where you mention this option would be great. When available of course.

Only because finding a stock pre-rooted ROM at times like these can be a task even for vets. ;) Having it right there would be very useful for those peaking in on this already informative thread.

Thanks

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Probably goes without saying but a link to a pre-rooted ROM where you mention this option would be great. When available of course.

Only because finding a stock pre-rooted ROM at times like these can be a task even for vets. ;) Having it right there would be very useful for those peaking in on this already informative thread.

Thanks

na, very easy. basic aosp/stock rooted roms(these are what you want) will be in the android development section of the nexus 5. always. in the original development section, there will be original roms only.

Reactions: DigitalUnderground

czacha234

Mar 15, 2010
Hamilton

- boot.img
- recovery.img
- bootloader.img
- system.img
- cache.img
- userdata.img
- radio.img

If you don't want to lose your sdcard data, if you have a custom recovery, you can factory reset, fastboot flash individually the recovery.img, system.img and boot.img as this will keep /data partition in tact, which is where your /sdcard is located @Sandman-007)

Also, you can edit flash-all.bat and find entry:
Code:
nulfastboot -w update image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip
and remove "-w" and save it. Then just execute flash-all.bat and the script will flash all the images without wiping data. I always do that way and never had data wiped.

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nice advices once again and I totally agree with OTA subject.
I used Lollipop a few days then I went back to KK and I do not plan to update soon. Since I didn't follow recent discussions about Lollipop I have a question: flashing a rooted flashable zip won't be a mess? e.g unavailable /sdcard, a 32Gb storage that becomes 16Gb (actually that's what I had - clean flash of course)... Lollipop is really different compared to KK so would it not be more appropriate to flash the factory imgs (without restoring user data from KK) before enjoying Lollipop's stuff?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *The below post covers up to 4.4.4 only. for 5.0, read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/5-0-basic-overview-root-options-lollipop-t2947144*

012.png

010.png

022.png

Please note, rooted users will still receive the OTA notification. You do not need to apply it though. Some Custom ROMS even receive it.
    020.png

032.png

030.png

042.png

- boot.img
    - recovery.img
    - bootloader.img
    - system.img
    - cache.img
    - userdata.img
    - radio.img

I want to keep root

Alternatively, you can flash a pre-rooted zip*. Within a couple of hours of the factory image becoming available, guys from XDA will release pre-rooted zips that you simply flash from a custom recovery. This will be a quick process. Put the zip on your /sdcard, boot into recovery and flash it.

*Please note with Android 5.0 Lollipop, you need to flash a ROM.zip, Permissive kernel and SuperSU all at once. You have to download all 3 files and flash them one after the other in that order. You can flash some custom kernels, such as elementalx straight over permissive kernel. Also, you can ONLY flash elementalX as it allows root to run at boot (without permissive kernel) however, some apps NEED permissive to run anyway
    040.png

052.png

If you still want to (return to stock in order to) accept OTA updates, even after reading this thread (perhaps because doing things properly mean more work for you) then perhaps you shouldn't be rooted. Having, maintaining and understanding root takes effort and if you're not willing to put the time in, you will become a danger to your phone and possibly a drain on this forum too ;) We write lots of guides and info threads for your benefit. If you have questions, please just ask.
    050.png

062.png

060.png
    Hi! Thanks for great explanation. I've question regarding that part:

Do you have exact link to topic with such ROM images? There are a lot of them and I am not sure where should I look for updates... Thanks in advance!

The factory image of official is not available yet for Lollipop. There are links to pre-rooted zips available in "sticky roll-up" thread in general forum. These threads will be updated when official. If the threads are not updated, I will put new links up.
    You can't flash ota with twrp.... Or let the Ota install automatically.

You need stock recovery.
    That is not correct.

I'm not sure why some insist on making things difficult...
    Because in many cases it doesn't make things difficult.

In the context of what the OP was trying to say with respect to using OTA updates IFF (i.e., if and only if) you have modified your system files and are trying to return to stock solely to accept an OTA, then yes, in that specific case, the OTA update method is not for you, as it is the "long way around".

However, if you have not modified your system files, then the OTA update method is much easier and faster. Flashing a stock ROM zip or using fastboot is the "long way around". And in this case, flashing an OTA update is not subject to having more issues than flashing a ROM zip or anything else.

Things don't fall into a simplistic paradigm of good/bad or easy/difficult. It depends on the situation, and that's the point that hasn't been getting across in general.

Thanks ;)

If you want to keep root, The best thing to do would be to wait for a pre-rooted rom.zip - which should also contain the custom boot.img needed to give root permissions...

Just make sure you do all your backups first if you want to keep stuff.
    Adb has nothing to do with flashing stock ROMs. You would use Fastboot.