FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th September 2018, 03:58 AM |#11211  
Flag Fort Wellington
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatron

Hmm, I cant seem to find anything on the 7+, all Im seeing is a a 6.1
EDIT: Ah, there it is, not in their store for some reason. No price that I can see either. Not out yet?

Im not connecting it to a carrier, so thats a non issue.

You might want to check eBay
26th September 2018, 02:54 PM |#11212  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not sure what to buy......
Guys i'm having a really hard time deciding. Unfortunately i'm not having a hard time making the decision.

I had a google pixel 1 xl which i like a lot unfortunately it kept breaking after multiple replacements from google. First 3 times it was the voice speaker that you use when you make calls. People could hear me but i couldn't hear them. The last time the finger print sensor died. After the 4th failure (and having to fight with the google play store) i gave up on this device because the reliability was so bad. I sold the replacement i got and had an old Iphone 6 plus hanging around that i'm still using. The issue is i hate IOS

Samsung - I love their hardware design. I love the idea of samsung pay (even through i haven't used it) that you can use it with most credit card machines that don't work with android/apple pay. My HUGE issue with samsung is updates. I somewhat understand OS upgrades but what concerns me is security patches. I keep a lot of very important stuff on my phone so having my phone vulnerable just downright scares me. I also am one that likes to keep my phones at least 2-3 years. I'm not a yearly upgrader. Am i inflating the update issue?

Pixel - First issue of course has been the unreliability of google devices. I had a nexus 6P which in the end had battery issues where it would cold reboot when the phone was about ~30% issues. At least the phone did last me almost 2 years. My first pixel issues happened before 6 months. Hopefully the pixel 2 has had a better track record. From what i've seen of the pixel 3 xl leaks we will be getting an ungodly ugly phone with a huge freakn notch. If the pixel 3 xl was the cost of the nexus devices i probably wouldn't make a huge deal of it but we will most likely be paying premium prices for these devices. From what i've seen we might get better options next year with the acquired HTC design team taking over but i really don't want to wait a year.

If you wouldn't mind i'd like your opinions

thanks....
28th September 2018, 09:25 PM |#11213  
Flag Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 4

More
(1) Of the latest phones, what's the easiest to root?

(2) What's the easiest Verizon phone to root?
29th September 2018, 12:35 AM |#11214  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Best Unlocked Android w/ Built-In Stylus under $200?
So...budget is $200...both US and foreign manufacturers are fine as long as I can feasibly get it shipped to the US. What's the best unlocked android phone (refurbs are okay) w/ a built in stylus within that budget? I need to consider how current the android OS is (and/or whether it can be upgraded) for longevity purposes and whether it has access to the Google Play Store and whether it supports all bands of wifi. Other than that, I don't care about the rest. I don't care about size, extra features, etc. It just has to run a somewhat current version of android and run it well and have a stylus and be within my budget. Thanks in advance for the help!
29th September 2018, 04:00 AM |#11215  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirk365

You might want to check eBay

I've had more time to check it out, and it looks like the Nokia 7 + lacks a major feature I wanted. After more research it looks like I need to specify USB Type C 3.1, while the 7+ has 2.0. It seems 3.1 is required for HDMI video out and dock features I wanted. It's still tempting enough to keep it on my candidates list in case nothing else comes as close.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncageXDA

Guys i'm having a really hard time deciding. Unfortunately i'm not having a hard time making the decision.

I had a google pixel 1 xl which i like a lot unfortunately it kept breaking after multiple replacements from google. First 3 times it was the voice speaker that you use when you make calls. People could hear me but i couldn't hear them. The last time the finger print sensor died. After the 4th failure (and having to fight with the google play store) i gave up on this device because the reliability was so bad. I sold the replacement i got and had an old Iphone 6 plus hanging around that i'm still using. The issue is i hate IOS

Samsung - I love their hardware design. I love the idea of samsung pay (even through i haven't used it) that you can use it with most credit card machines that don't work with android/apple pay. My HUGE issue with samsung is updates. I somewhat understand OS upgrades but what concerns me is security patches. I keep a lot of very important stuff on my phone so having my phone vulnerable just downright scares me. I also am one that likes to keep my phones at least 2-3 years. I'm not a yearly upgrader. Am i inflating the update issue?

Pixel - First issue of course has been the unreliability of google devices. I had a nexus 6P which in the end had battery issues where it would cold reboot when the phone was about ~30% issues. At least the phone did last me almost 2 years. My first pixel issues happened before 6 months. Hopefully the pixel 2 has had a better track record. From what i've seen of the pixel 3 xl leaks we will be getting an ungodly ugly phone with a huge freakn notch. If the pixel 3 xl was the cost of the nexus devices i probably wouldn't make a huge deal of it but we will most likely be paying premium prices for these devices. From what i've seen we might get better options next year with the acquired HTC design team taking over but i really don't want to wait a year.

If you wouldn't mind i'd like your opinions

thanks....

I've been looking for a phone based on a 400 USD budget and these are some of the better current candidates I've seen that looked promising but with some flaws, maybe they would be a good starting point for you?

*Nokia 7 Plus. It has a Type C port but only has 2.0 (I need 3.1 for HDMI out and other docking features) It lacks a notch and that seemed to be a positive for you, the processor is on the mid range (a 660 I think).

*Essential phone. The reports on the camera quality are lackluster. It has a tiny notch for just the camera. Almost all screen on the front otherwise. 128 GB built in. Seems to be a great phone but the branding didn't take off so the company may be going under or getting sold, which may lead to update problems.

*Pocophone N1. Well reviewed phone. Lacks NFC (a must for myself), has a notch thats fairly wide so that may be a detracting feature for you.

On the higher priced end, these are out of my budget but they are tempting me:

*One Plus 6. Good features, a bit of flexability on price, but lacks NFC for me.

*Razer phone. Gaming phone. Nice display, 120 hz screen

*ROG Phone. Not out yet, expected to be expensive, 1K range in some enthusiast website guesses. Lots of attachment options like a dock with HDMI ethernet, USB and etc to use as a workstation.

Good luck on the hunt, I've been looking for a new phone for a while and they canceled the Ara, which was my previous best candidate >_<
29th September 2018, 05:44 PM |#11216  

More
Quote:

I've had more time to check it out, and it looks like the Nokia 7 + lacks a major feature I wanted. After more research it looks like I need to specify USB Type C 3.1, while the 7+ has 2.0. It seems 3.1 is required for HDMI video out and dock features I wanted. It's still tempting enough to keep it on my candidates list in case nothing else comes as close.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

I've been looking for a phone based on a 400 USD budget and these are some of the better current candidates I've seen that looked promising but with some flaws, maybe they would be a good starting point for you?

*Nokia 7 Plus. It has a Type C port but only has 2.0 (I need 3.1 for HDMI out and other docking features) It lacks a notch and that seemed to be a positive for you, the processor is on the mid range (a 660 I think).

*Essential phone. The reports on the camera quality are lackluster. It has a tiny notch for just the camera. Almost all screen on the front otherwise. 128 GB built in. Seems to be a great phone but the branding didn't take off so the company may be going under or getting sold, which may lead to update problems.

*Pocophone N1. Well reviewed phone. Lacks NFC (a must for myself), has a notch thats fairly wide so that may be a detracting feature for you.

*One Plus 6. Good features, a bit of flexability on price, but lacks NFC for me.

*ROG Phone. Not out yet, expected to be expensive, 1K range in some enthusiast website guesses. Lots of attachment options like a dock with HDMI ethernet, USB and etc to use as a workstation.

Good luck on the hunt, I've been looking for a new phone for a while and they canceled the Ara, which was my previous best candidate >_<

Just realize that it has to be compatible with CDMA. I know a lot of these budget phones are not. For example OnePlus is not. They are only compatible with GSM. I'm using Xfinity Mobile and its why i need the compatability. Thanks for replying
29th September 2018, 07:01 PM |#11217  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 59

Donate to Me
More
Note9 or LG think g7
Coming from Nexus 6p. Just want to play games with out problems and take a phone call here and there lol.
29th September 2018, 08:59 PM |#11218  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Bootloader unlocked phone
I'm looking to buy a new phone with an unlocked bootloader. I know the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 4 n910t has an unlocked, and most carriers are locking them now. Can anyone suggest any phones that have unlocked bootloader ? I prefer something with a larger screen, and at least 3GM RAM. I'made open to any brand. I have GSM. Thanks in advance.
30th September 2018, 01:49 AM |#11219  
Thanks Meter: 228

More
Quote:

What do you mean the OnePlus 6 lacks NFC for you? It has NFC obviously.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
30th September 2018, 05:12 AM |#11220  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

What do you mean the OnePlus 6 lacks NFC for you? It has NFC obviously.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Looks like I missed that in the specs somewhere, unless I just mixed up the reason I rejected it trying to recall so many phones so quickly. Looks like I would have rejected it for price range even though I can see on the specs page now that it does have NFC. If Im not mistaken an earlier One Plus model cut NFC from the features, could be I confused it with that too.

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncageXDA

Just realize that it has to be compatible with CDMA. I know a lot of these budget phones are not. For example OnePlus is not. They are only compatible with GSM. I'm using Xfinity Mobile and its why i need the compatability. Thanks for replying

Within the phones I've been personally looking at, I think I neglected to mention the Motorola Z2 Force Edition, which appears to be either be compatible with CDMA and GSM, unless you select the model in checkout? Motorola's customer service was horrendous when my dad got a dud, not to mention a software update killed at least one if not both of his previous motorola phones. However, my dad seems to like his current Motorola Z2 play (Not the force which Im suggesting here, but there are a few motorolas you might find worth looking at) after getting the dud replaced. The Force I believe supports moto mods, which can give you an additional snap on battery, mini projector, speaker (I hear the Hasslebad camera for it is worse than it's built in one) which may prove useful. Depending on who you order from you might also get a mod or two packed with it. If the internal battery fails I assume you can improvise with a snap on in place of paying someone to swaps the internal one out.

At the time of writing this is $299.99 USD via Motorola's website, which is a temporary sale.
https://www.motorola.com/us/products...-edition-gen-2

If your looking for something more expensive, I'm not too sure, as I've only looked at phones within my interests and mostly within my budget, and this is about all I've researched so far. If I happen across something else though, Ill try to check back with you.
30th September 2018, 02:05 PM |#11221  
Thanks Meter: 228

More
I googled it to be sure, it was the OnePlus 2 that got flack for leaving out NFC.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)