Root and Unlock Boot loader for 4.3?

Search This thread

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
Did a Google and forum search and couldn't find anything concrete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So no CWM? Is anyone working on it? What about this "Safestrap"?

Yes no CWM or TWRP since the bootloader is locked. Safestrap is a method of installing a separate loader from the locked one, it's working on some model like att S4, note, but not Verizon S3. The software is not stable yet, still have many bugs and glitches. I won't touch it...not just yet.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
I'm still keeping my ears open for an unlocked bootloder. Root is all well and good, but I'm getting jittery about flashing a different rom. Any news about progress on this?

The bootloader will never be unlocked. The original bootloader on the Verizon s3 wasn't even "unlocked." It was a completely different boot image that was leaked. AFAIK, no bootloader has ever been unlocked through hard coding. There are simply loopholes & workarounds. Kexec and Safestrap are two examples of workarounds. They are pretty much just as good as the real thing so there is still hope for those crack-flashers taken off guard by the new update.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these: There have been countless "I took the 4.3 update. How do I flash ROMs?" posts. If you were really into flashing, you would never be in this situation.

It's the cardinal rule. NEVER ACCEPT OTAs!!!!!!

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
The bootloader will never be unlocked. The original bootloader on the Verizon s3 wasn't even "unlocked." It was a completely different boot image that was leaked. AFAIK, no bootloader has ever been unlocked through hard coding. There are simply loopholes & workarounds. Kexec and Safestrap are two examples of workarounds. They are pretty much just as good as the real thing so there is still hope for those crack-flashers taken off guard by the new update.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these: There have been countless "I took the 4.3 update. How do I flash ROMs?" posts. If you were really into flashing, you would never be in this situation.

You didn't have to word it in that way. You sounded as if you were talking to a child, and then told me, in not so many words "Boo hoo, cry about it". This thread is old and I've learned quit a bit since then so next time you necro post, how about not being such a ****?

Reactions: ThePagel and Dc4479

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
You didn't have to word it in that way. You sounded as if you were talking to a child, and then told me, in not so many words "Boo hoo, cry about it". This thread is old and I've learned quit a bit since then so next time you necro post, how about not being such a ****?

Didn't mean to come off as a ****. I was just responding to the bootloader comment and went off on a rant. Sorry if you were offended.

Reactions: ProtheusIRC

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
I was, but you are one of the few who take responsibility for offending someone, so it's cool.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these

This was the part that offended me the most. Now, I'm by no means a noob, but I am man enough to admit there are LOTS of things I don't know. This phone was my brothers. HE took the OTA then traded it to me. So I was trying to find a way out of it. I've come to terms (I think) with being stuck with a locked bootloader but I am hopeful about kexec. Who knows?

Apology accepted.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
Yeah since I didn't even know your whole story, I wasn't necessarily referring to you (even though it sounded like that). I was more referring to people that said they knowingly accepted the OTA. I just worded it very poorly.

That's unfortunate how you ended up with the locked bootloader, but the devs we have are outstanding and I'm sure they'll get a workaround going very soon. :good:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Haha This is what happened when no one unlocked the boot loader..lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Germanlopez007

Mar 8, 2014
Don't do it!!!I unlocked the boot loader with ez unlock app and booted into recovery and hard bricked my sch i535. Just got it back got fixed with jtag. Gabbyanne on eBay is a life saver... Don't do it to yourself. Trust me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Reactions: bitterdone

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Don't do it!!!I unlocked the boot loader with ez unlock app and booted into recovery and hard bricked my sch i535. Just got it back got fixed with jtag. Gabbyanne on eBay is a life saver... Don't do it to yourself. Trust me

Out of curiosity did jtag get you back to 4.1.2? I don't think anyone has reported one way or the other. From what I understand it should be impossible even for jtag but it's always good to verify.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Out of curiosity did jtag get you back to 4.1.2? I don't think anyone has reported one way or the other. From what I understand it should be impossible even for jtag but it's always good to verify.

It is impossible, you can't jtag the bootloader over the 4.3 baseband. It's more complicated after the update because the hardware keys are different. Changing the bootloader is only changing the software.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
It is impossible, you can't jtag the bootloader over the 4.3 baseband. It's more complicated after the update because the hardware keys are different. Changing the bootloader is only changing the software.

I know just waned to make sure. You can never be sure until it is tried. For example invisiblek said that the ml1 firmware will brick the phone if you upgrade from a phone with the insecure bootloader because that's what happened to the s4 that took a 4.3 upgrade. Well I know from experience that wasn't true. Theory is just that until it has been tested who knows what samsung might have forgotten to do that might allow jtag to do that. Plus I have yet to hear if anyone has tried. Not saying it hasn't been done I just haven't seen anyone say more than got it back and it works.

*edit* I just found that thread he said you will brick and I must of missed the part where he said you probably wont if you upgrade the entire boot chain. But how would you end up in that scenario of being bricked? The root66 tars took out the entire boot chain and added only the insecure bootloader.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I know just waned to make sure. You can never be sure until it is tried. For example invisiblek said that the ml1 firmware will brick the phone if you upgrade from a phone with the insecure bootloader because that's what happened to the s4 that took a 4.3 upgrade. Well I know from experience that wasn't true. Theory is just that until it has been tested who knows what samsung might have forgotten to do that might allow jtag to do that. Plus I have yet to hear if anyone has tried. Not saying it hasn't been done I just haven't seen anyone say more than got it back and it works.

I get what you're saying, if it wasn't hardware coded then it could theoretically work.

The same thing could be accomplished through Odin though by flashing boot chains, ez unlock also proves it's hardware signed. Jtag would do the same thing ez unlock does, just on a more holistic level.

Best bet would be to Jtag a 4.3 developer edition bootloader, but I don't think it exists, because making one widely available for developer edition phones would be handing us an unlocked bootloader. They'd have to be made on a per phone basis with specific keys for each device. I highly doubt it exists, but if it did it might work if we could figure out how it's getting around the bootloader, like what step it's bypassing.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I get what you're saying, if it wasn't hardware coded then it could theoretically work.

The same thing could be accomplished through Odin though by flashing boot chains, ez unlock also proves it's hardware signed. Jtag would do the same thing ez unlock does, just on a more holistic level.

Best bet would be to Jtag a 4.3 developer edition bootloader, but I don't think it exists, because making one widely available for developer edition phones would be handing us an unlocked bootloader. They'd have to be made on a per phone basis with specific keys for each device. I highly doubt it exists, but if it did it might work if we could figure out how it's getting around the bootloader, like what step it's bypassing.

Truth but I had a idea a couple months ago but I don't have the balls to try it. With these qualcomm gs3 phones there is a emergency boot from sd card for the aboot. If you were hard bricked it might be possible to boot to the insecure bootloader that way. You could never do the flash back trick with terminal emulate so it wouldn't be a true fix but who cares unless you need your sd card (I do but I have learned to love 4.3).

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Truth but I had a idea a couple months ago but I don't have the balls to try it. With these qualcomm gs3 phones there is a emergency boot from sd card for the aboot. If you were hard bricked it might be possible to boot to the insecure bootloader that way. You could never do the flash back trick with terminal emulate so it wouldn't be a true fix but who cares unless you need your sd card (I do but I have learned to love 4.3).

Really?

Ya, if you could do that you could simply run straight from the aboot file without the secure checks. That might actually work, but you'd have to get the insecure aboot loaded without it locking the phone, you'd have to try it immediately after loading the aboot image before a reboot.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Really?

Ya, if you could do that you could simply run straight from the aboot file without the secure checks. That might actually work, but you'd have to get the insecure aboot loaded without it locking the phone, you'd have to try it immediately after loading the aboot image before a reboot.

well you would need the debrick file from the insecure bootloader. that is what the debrick image is its the aboot image. So now that I think about it a little more the only way that would work is if qualcomm has its own bootchain and I would not doubt if it did but I am not technical enough to figure that out. the only way for people like me to find out is try and I will not purposelessly brick to try. I cant even justify asking someone who is hard bricked to try it. They are already mad it happened why add that extra stress.

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

holy cow its 3:23 here I better go to bed so I can wake up at 9 and hopefully not fall asleep driving tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still keeping my ears open for an unlocked bootloder. Root is all well and good, but I'm getting jittery about flashing a different rom. Any news about progress on this?

I was, but you are one of the few who take responsibility for offending someone, so it's cool.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these

This was the part that offended me the most. Now, I'm by no means a noob, but I am man enough to admit there are LOTS of things I don't know. This phone was my brothers. HE took the OTA then traded it to me. So I was trying to find a way out of it. I've come to terms (I think) with being stuck with a locked bootloader but I am hopeful about kexec. Who knows?

Apology accepted.

Didn't mean to come off as a ****. I was just responding to the bootloader comment and went off on a rant. Sorry if you were offended.
    Yeah since I didn't even know your whole story, I wasn't necessarily referring to you (even though it sounded like that). I was more referring to people that said they knowingly accepted the OTA. I just worded it very poorly.

That's unfortunate how you ended up with the locked bootloader, but the devs we have are outstanding and I'm sure they'll get a workaround going very soon. :good: