[ROOT][TOOL][2012-07-24] GS3DebugFSRoot: Root the Verizon GSIII without flashing

Search This thread

trafalger888

Aug 18, 2010
Any loans on making a version for us linux users? And I know you said you were going to look into making it into an apk and I think many people would probably appreciate that...thanks for your hard work in making the tool

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Any loans on making a version for us linux users? And I know you said you were going to look into making it into an apk and I think many people would probably appreciate that...thanks for your hard work in making the tool

I'll have to see if the exploit requires being run from adb. If not, it should be possible to create an APK version, and it's just a matter of time.

A Linux version should also be pretty easy, but it also requires more time... I might try porting it to bash on Windows and let someone else test on Linux.

terpsarlington

Jul 11, 2010
Washington DC
advantages of using odin?

Can someone explain what advantage, if any, there are to using Odin to flash a Rooted or Stock ICS 4.0.4 Rom over this method? In the past i have always used scripts (Bionic, Dinc) to root my phones.

I am new to GS3 and was wondering why all the root guides talk about using the odin method instead of this script method.

thanks.

trafalger888

Aug 18, 2010
I'll have to see if the exploit requires being run from adb. If not, it should be possible to create an APK version, and it's just a matter of time.

A Linux version should also be pretty easy, but it also requires more time... I might try porting it to bash on Windows and let someone else test on Linux.

I will test a linux version if you end up making one

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Can someone explain what advantage, if any, there are to using Odin to flash a Rooted or Stock ICS 4.0.4 Rom over this method? In the past i have always used scripts (Bionic, Dinc) to root my phones.

I am new to GS3 and was wondering why all the root guides talk about using the odin method instead of this script method.

thanks.

Galaxy S phones have traditionally been very easy to flash with Odin, so that's just the first thing people tried. It worked well enough, so I guess nobody bothered with a non-Odin root method until now. If all you want is a rooted stock ROM, there shouldn't be any benefit at all to flashing the root66 ROM versus using my tool.

Sent from my Verizon GSIII using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: terpsarlington

lowg

Aug 10, 2010
nyc

thanks.

The script method is new for the GS3. The original root method was done using Odin to flash the entire system image that was modified to include the su binarys. The script method uses a clever hack to simplify the process and allows you to just install the su binaries.

I think it's safer and easier to use this type of method since you know what you're going to get. It does seem the base "stock" images people are using for the Odin method might be different than what's actually comes with the device, but to be clear at this point this is pure speculation on my part based on user reports and I have not done a diff.

Reactions: terpsarlington

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
I like this method because there no need to downgrade your firmware to achieve root. No surprises.

Thank you for providing us with another option! :good:

Edit: Worked perfectly for me on my "Updated" GS3.

Last edited:

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I like this method because there no need to downgrade your firmware to achieve root. No surprises.

Thank you for providing us with another option! :good:

Yup, I know I have my original stock ROM and not something that may have been "tweaked" As a GNex owner as well, I have to say I really like touchwiz and don't mind running it at all, except Svoice is a little cheesy.

Would the phone still accept VZ updates after root has been achieved?

Also, many thanks for your efforts.

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Yup, I know I have my original stock ROM and not something that may have been "tweaked" As a GNex owner as well, I have to say I really like touchwiz and don't mind running it at all, except Svoice is a little cheesy.

Would the phone still accept VZ updates after root has been achieved?

Also, many thanks for your efforts.

If you are on stock rooted you should be able to receive and update the OTA. However, when you install a custom recovery the update will likely fail.

lowg

Aug 10, 2010
nyc
Not sure about the current recoveries but with sprecovery it allowed you to install the OTA packages from Verizon (even modified and unsigned).

With the original Droid I was able to keep up with all the OTA updates with some minor edits to the update script to disable the patches to files that were frozen/removed, as well as reapply the proper permissions on the su binary (they recursively reset all permissions on the /system folder as part of the update script)

snoshreddax21

Aug 16, 2011
The tool worked great for me. For future releases, I have two suggestions:

Add in another reboot at the end of the process. I had to reboot my phone before any app would even recognize I had superuser installed.

Change the font color from that dark red in the CMD prompt window to something easier to read.

Otherwise, the tool worked perfectly! Thanks for the time and effort you put into this, it's way easier than flashing a rooted Odin image.

henrys01

Apr 4, 2011
I just tried this on the latest firmware (I535VRALG1) and it worked. The only difference from the instructions was here:

Code:
debugfs:  rm su
rm su
rm: File not found by ext2_lookup while trying to resolve filename

I skipped the "rm su" step in debugfs. Everything else worked fine.

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
I just tried this on the latest firmware (I535VRALG1) and it worked. The only difference from the instructions was here:

Code:
debugfs:  rm su
rm su
rm: File not found by ext2_lookup while trying to resolve filename

I skipped the "rm su" step in debugfs. Everything else worked fine.

That step is only actually required if there is some existing root already installed. So for the vast majority of people trying to root, it shouldn't matter.

I thought I had a message about that in the tool, but if you were doing it manually, you wouldn't see it.

juancaperez2000

Jul 22, 2010
Hyattsville
Hello sorry just really noob question can i root with this method and then use kexec to get CM10 or CM9

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH JELLY BEAN.

---

Here's a easy-to-use tool based on the method in this thread.

If you like this tool, please click the Thanks button!
    Even better, see my signature.

DISCLAIMER: As with any rooting tool, there is some chance that something will go wrong. Use of this tool is at your own risk, and I will not be responsible if you brick your phone in the process. Although there have been zero reports of this tool breaking anyone's phone, don't run it if you aren't comfortable with the possibility of having something go wrong and having to re-Odin back to stock or worse.

Instructions:
    1. Install the USB drivers if you don't have them already: Verizon_Wireless_I535_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe
    2. Download the package and extract it somewhere (you'll need 7-Zip or some other modern compression tool) Make sure you extract all the files to a folder somewhere! Running it straight from your compression program probably won't work.
    3. On your phone, enable installation of third-party apps (Settings --> Security --> Unknown sources, near the bottom in the "Device administration" section)
    4. On your phone, enable USB debugging (Settings --> Developer options --> USB debugging)
    5. On your PC, make sure you don't have any other Android devices connected, any Android emulators running, or any Android tools like PdaNet running.
    6. Plug your phone into a USB port on your computer. For best results, use a port directly on the machine, and not a USB hub.
    7. Double-click RootDebugfs.bat and follow the directions on the screen. Your phone will reboot 3 or 4 times during the process; just leave it plugged in. To be safe, don't switch to any other applications while the root process is running.

DOWNLOAD GS3DebugFSRoot R2 FOR US GALAXY S III VARIANTS ONLY!!!
    (Released July 24, 2012)

If anything goes wrong, post here and I'll see what I can do.

Credits:
    * miloj, for the debugfs root method for the Asus TF300T
    * sparkym3, for his script for rooting the Asus Transformer Prime - this is a modified version of that script
    * ChainsDD, for Superuser
    Version History:

The most recent version is always at the top.

r2 2012-07-24
    + Changed font color to white for readability
    + Cleaned up output
    + Fixed typo in title (GSII instead of GSIII)
    + Fixed Unknown Sources/USB Debugging directions
    + Included latest version of adb from platform-tools 13, might make things more reliable
    * Includes ChainsDD Superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1
    * Known to work with LF2 and LG1.

r1 2012-07-23
    * Initial beta
    * Includes ChainsDD Superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1
    * Works with LF2. Probably works with LG1.

Possible future features:
    * APK version of the tool! I'm still not sure if this is possible - currently researching.
    Sadly, I don't think this is going to happen.
    * Unroot tool.
    * Choice of Superuser or SuperSU.
    very nice man it worked for me so I decided to create a video tutorial to root & install recovery for rookies. if it helps anyone don't forget to hit the thank you button!

FAQs:

Q: What versions of the stock ROM does this work with?
    A: It's known to work with anything from LF2 up to LHE. It seems likely that DebugFSRoot will be able to work with any ICS ROMs. We'll have to wait and see if it works on JB or not.

Q: I'm getting an error like "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command", or "cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory". What do I do?
    A: Don't run the tool straight from your compression program. Make sure to extract all the files somewhere first.

Q: Will this wipe my data?
    A: Nope.

Q: How can I unroot? Will flashing a stock ROM unroot?
    A: Flashing a stock ROM will unroot and also remove any modifications you made to /system.

Q: Everything seems to have worked fine, and the Superuser app shows the binary as present and working. However, none of my root apps work. What do I do?
    A: This seems to happen to a very small number of people, and the cause is unknown. If this happens to you, try installing Chainfire SuperSU.

Q: Is this any better than flashing the root66 ROM?
    A: The end result should be pretty much the same, but this tool is much smaller to download than the root66 ROM.
    A: If you are on a phone with the stock LG1 ROM update, root66 will downgrade you to LF2, while this tool will leave your ROM alone.

Q: Is this any better than using the VRALEC boot chain method?
    A: The boot chain is a little more complicated. It requires flashing two bootloaders, flashing recovery, and using Triangle Away to reset the Custom Binary Download counter. If you intend to install a custom recovery/custom ROMs anyway, it's fine and probably quicker. However, if all you want is root to run Titanium Backup or other root apps, GS3DebugFSRoot is easier.

Q: Will this increment the flash counter?
    A: Not on its own. If you flash anything else after rooting, however, you might, so read up on what you're doing.

Q: Will this cause the "custom unlock" boot screen to appear?
    A: In general, no. However, the spyware Samsung/Verizon included (SysScope/libcordon) is paranoid, and a lot of tweaks you can do after rooting will trigger it. If you don't want to risk getting the custom unlock screen, don't freeze any apps using Titanium Backup and generally limit your tweaking to things you could do without root.

Q: Can Samsung/Verizon block this method in the future?
    Yes. It's very possible that a future OTA will patch the exploit that this tool uses. If you want to root, it's always best to do it now!
    Is this reversible? Or do we need to Odin back?

You can manually unroot. Use a root-supporting file explorer to delete /system/xbin/su, then uninstall the Superuser app.

I'll see if I can add an auto-unroot in a future version. However, I'm pretty busy for the next week and a half, so it might take awhile.