[ROM] [AOSPA 4.2.2] [WIP] [BETA] [Paranoid Android 3.15] AT&T HTC One X+

Search This thread

maxwen

Jun 10, 2012
How come the XL model didn't face the same problems?

while we where able to workaround some problems created from HTC for the international version by using HOX specific things.
This is not possible for the ATT version since there is no "comparable" ICS version of such a device

e.g. the voice audio issue is created by the fact that HTC does NOT provide JB
compatible audio drivers. On the international we are able to use the ICS
version from the HOX. But we are also not able to use the HTC provided ones

adamkaye

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
while we where able to workaround some problems created from HTC for the international version by using HOX specific things.
This is not possible for the ATT version since there is no "comparable" ICS version of such a device

e.g. the voice audio issue is created by the fact that HTC does NOT provide JB
compatible audio drivers. On the international we are able to use the ICS
version from the HOX. But we are also not able to use the HTC provided ones

I pretty sure the AT&T original HOX got the JB update recently, no?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

aardappel12

Dec 9, 2010
I pretty sure the AT&T original HOX got the JB update recently, no?

I'm pretty sure the AT&T HOX+ already runs JB :p

But that's not the point, they can't get compatible audio drivers from HTC from the original JB rom to work with AOSP/AOKP/CM and such.. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

maxwen

Jun 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure the AT&T HOX+ already runs JB :p

But that's not the point, they can't get compatible audio drivers from HTC from the original JB rom to work with AOSP/AOKP/CM and such.. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

no - you are right :)
so we MUST use ICS drivers which are not available for the ATT shizz

therefore this is a dead-end for voice-audio as far as ATT is concerned right now

maxwen

Jun 10, 2012
Does that mean there is no hope for the call audio?

well - hope is never lost :)

BUT - ATT is doing voice call audio different then international
caused by the different modem for LTE. And since this is
implemented in the properitary audio drivers chances are not good

Some technical details:
voice audio is routed between ril (modem) and the audio driver
and this is completely different on international and ATT
thats why its broken by using the HOX ICS drivers right now

So my only hope would be that we finally find a way to use the
"so-called" JB drivers. I would like to do that on the internationl version too
since using the ICS ones causes some minor issues while basically working.

Right now trying to use the JB drivers causing crashing them right on
loading so they seem to require something "extra" that is incompatible to JB
"standard"

HOX devs have exactly the same problem after they received the
JB upgrade for their device. So ALL AOSP custrom roms are required
to still use the old ICS drivers.

While this limitation is acceptablle for the HOX and the international X+
its causing the above mentioned "dead-end" for ATT right now

XSafire

May 5, 2009
So is the the audio issue currently impossible to fix or is it just a real developmental hurdle?

Sent from my HTC EVARE_UL using xda app-developers app

Reactions: poojiggles7

Blackdrag

May 11, 2011
well - hope is never lost :)

BUT - ATT is doing voice call audio different then international
caused by the different modem for LTE. And since this is
implemented in the properitary audio drivers chances are not good

Some technical details:
voice audio is routed between ril (modem) and the audio driver
and this is completely different on international and ATT
thats why its broken by using the HOX ICS drivers right now

So my only hope would be that we finally find a way to use the
"so-called" JB drivers. I would like to do that on the internationl version too
since using the ICS ones causes some minor issues while basically working.

Right now trying to use the JB drivers causing crashing them right on
loading so they seem to require something "extra" that is incompatible to JB
"standard"

HOX devs have exactly the same problem after they received the
JB upgrade for their device. So ALL AOSP custrom roms are required
to still use the old ICS drivers.

While this limitation is acceptablle for the HOX and the international X+
its causing the above mentioned "dead-end" for ATT right now

Okay, thank you for the information! Could the audio driver situation possibly change if HTC pushes out a sense update that updates the audio drivers OR the coming of Android Key Lime Pie?

sirxdroid

Nov 21, 2012
I really doubt this phone will ever see Key Lime Pie. HTC just doesn't have the resources or interest to invest in an "old" phone. If anything, we should be happy to see a 4.2.x update.

Lloir

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)
I'm not a developer, just a power user, so this question may be out in left field. Are there any other Android devices with the same radio/modem/processor so we could use its drivers?

Nexus 7 and the HOX inter for the tegra3 chip set and I couldn't find any for the radio/modem

tyessen

Nov 18, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Problem is the pesky drivers. If HTC doesn't release drivers compatible with the Android version we want to run, it's very hard to get things like audio to work.

How are there 4.2 roms running on the One XL if all they have is 4.1 though? If the drivers are compatible, shouldn't we be able to do the same with our 4.1 drivers?

Blackdrag

May 11, 2011
How are there 4.2 roms running on the One XL if all they have is 4.1 though? If the drivers are compatible, shouldn't we be able to do the same with our 4.1 drivers?

Okay, so what I have gathered from awesome devs answering my questions and other stuff they have said thus far about the call issue ...

If they got 4.2 call audio working on other devices like the One XL, they had a similar device with the same drivers they could borrow drivers from or compare with. The problem with the HOX+, is that there are no comparable devices. Like Lloir said up there, the Nexus 7 and the International version of the HOX would be comparable devices because they both have Tegra 3 chip sets, but they don't have an LTE modem that the call is routed through, that is the problem. Right now the HOX+ is the ONLY device that has a LTE modem on a Tegra 3 chipset, no other phones have that same hardware setup.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Problem is the pesky drivers. If HTC doesn't release drivers compatible with the Android version we want to run, it's very hard to get things like audio to work.

Would the drivers work with CM9 or something? Just so we could get off of ... HTC Sense /winces upon mention of HTC Sense

Darealshht

May 9, 2012
Brooklyn
Okay, so what I have gathered from awesome devs answering my questions and other stuff they have said thus far about the call issue ...

If they got 4.2 call audio working on other devices like the One XL, they had a similar device with the same drivers they could borrow drivers from or compare with. The problem with the HOX+, is that there are no comparable devices. Like Lloir said up there, the Nexus 7 and the International version of the HOX would be comparable devices because they both have Tegra 3 chip sets, but they don't have an LTE modem that the call is routed through, that is the problem. Right now the HOX+ is the ONLY device that has a LTE modem on a Tegra 3 chipset, no other phones have that same hardware setup.

So pretty much we're screwed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

sirxdroid

Nov 21, 2012
I gave up on the HOX+, I sold it. I now have a Nexus 4, a Nexus 7 and an older Galaxy Nexus CDMA. I don't care which manufacturer makes the devices but I will try to not buy another one that is locked and doesn't get updates. Unfortunately right now the choice seems to be limited to the Google Nexii devices. Hopefully Motorola will release something good and open soon, always liked their hardware for their ruggedness, but not the software.

I'd like to thank all the HOX+ devs who kept me busy flashing over the past few months. You're a great bunch and doing great work in spite of many obstacles! I wish you very much luck taming the HOX+ beast!

Reactions: dseries60

Darealshht

May 9, 2012
Brooklyn
I gave up on the HOX+, I sold it. I now have a Nexus 4, a Nexus 7 and an older Galaxy Nexus CDMA. I don't care which manufacturer makes the devices but I will try to not buy another one that is locked and doesn't get updates. Unfortunately right now the choice seems to be limited to the Google Nexii devices. Hopefully Motorola will release something good and open soon, always liked their hardware for their ruggedness, but not the software.

I'd like to thank all the HOX+ devs who kept me busy flashing over the past few months. You're a great bunch and doing great work in spite of many obstacles! I wish you very much luck taming the HOX+ beast!

I want to try the nexus 4 but limited storage and no lte is a no go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

sirxdroid

Nov 21, 2012
I want to try the nexus 4 but limited storage and no lte is a no go.

I was thinking the same way, until I tried one. I'm willing to sacrifice LTE for good software choices. I get about 5Mbps down/1Mbps up on AT&T's HSPA+ which is plenty for me anyway. I tried the pre-paid $30 T-Mobile plan just for kicks and their HSPA+ is very fast, close to AT&T LTE. The latency could be a bit better though. As for storage, 16GB is plenty for me, I'd be fine with 8GB too which is what I was really looking for but found a great deal on a 16GB so I picked it up. 64GB on the HOX+ was really a waste for me.

If you want to just play with the N4, watch for deals on a used one (local Craigslist, etc.) - it's a lot of fun to play with and keep it around. That was my initial plan to maybe play with it, put Ubuntu on it to see what it is about, etc. but the phone is excellent as a daily driver, so the HOX+ had to find a new home.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bleeding Edge Features and confirmed next release fixes
    Code:
    [B]Currently Working On (may or may not meet release)[/B]
    - Calling issue
    - Wifi tethering

[B]Expected for Next Release[/B]
    - Calling Issue (High Priority)
    - GPS*(bootlooping still but less)

[B]Confirmed for Next Release[/B]
    - Signal strength display (fixed)
    - Advanced Button (Hide Temporarily)
    - Bluetooth (Still testing tethering)

[B]Confirmed and Fixed for Next Release[/B]

- Bluetooth 
    - Menu button

First of all I would like to thank the great Lloir for allowing me to use his device tree for the AT&T Hox+ device. Second of all I would like to thank maxwen for his bluedroid. Yes, I do know that bluetooth is not yet working in this build, but it is only a matter of time before i figure it out!

Also make sure you have the boot-PIZZA-CM10.1-201302190127.img flashed in fastboot using
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot-PIZZA-CM10.1-201302190127.img
    There is an included kernel but due to s-off you have to manually flash it

I do fully intend to fancy up this post quite a bit with graphics and changelog when I have the time. I thank you for your patience!
    I'll try to get screenshots as soon as I can for those of you that are curious!

Please do test the rom because I need all the bugs possible!

Things I know work:
    ?LTE? HSPA+ and data even though the signal report meter is bugged
    Paranoid Engine (preferences) works fine
    General Audio - Seems to work fine listening to media
    Live Tiles. Works fine in Tablet mode
    Wifi - 5ghz and 2.4ghz seem to work excellent 5ghz is a little slow but I haven't done extensive testing
    Touchscreen
    Camera
    USB Tethering
    NFC - seems to turn on and off fine. testers let me know please how it works for you!

Things I know are buggy and/or don't work:
    Laggy phone reception - When phone turns on takes awhile to find and join up to the cellular network
    Calling - Makes and receives call, but audio doesn't come through and microphone doesn't pick up audio. #1 Top Priority now that I have a ROM that successfully builds
    Bluetooth - Doesn't even turn on - High Priority
    ^->Bluetooth Tethering
    Advanced Button in settings will cause a Force Close for Settings (we don't have any advanced tegra fanciness in here yet) - Known Bug
    GPS - Intentionally broken causes and insane amount of bootlooping - Looking into this
    Signal Strength display under Phone Info in settings reports an incorrect value
    Live Tiles - Don't work under Phone or Phablet mode. For me at least. Testers confirm?
    Wifi Tethering
    ?LTE? I don't live in an LTE city LTE testers please contact me!
    Lights in capacitive buttons don't work - definitely a kernel related fix

#Please Report More bugs so i can look into it!*

And the moment you've all been waiting for a link to the rom!
    Code:
    [URL="http://www.lloir.com/downloads-site/nightlies/xplusatt/AOSP/"]pa_evitareul-3.15-03APR2013-094155.zip[/URL]
    If you want gapps I haven't tested the rom with them but I recommend you either grab the gapps from http://goo.im/gapps or the gapps for ParanoidAndroid (slightly modified) http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps

Thanks again to Lloir for letting me use his wonderful website to host my rom!
    I also would like to thank all of my testers in advance for being such a friendly and supportive crowd and I really do hope you all enjoy this rom

Thank you!
    -Solomon

*Logcats Required
    With the new build server hopefully things will go faster right?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

well now there's 3 people working on it all

tom is dedicated to enrc2b

sol is dedicated to evitareul

i'm both

so 90% of fixes can go over both devices, which means if sol fixes some issues on the reul, they can go onto enrc2b and vice versa

just like the audio issue.
    Has anyone heard of or know any progress? Anything we can do to help either?

Sent from my HTC One X+
    Any word on progress or anything?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

progress is going fairly slow but steady. just try to stay patient

I took a dump earlier that had some nice technical details. I guess the hard part is figuring out which technical details matter the most.

all of the details might matter! make sure to send logcats if you find bugs cause they might be useful to development!

I know I'm about to ask a question in the dev forum, but would a CM10 or AOSP 4.1.1 build work using the HTC kernel source? I'd be willing to settle for 4.1.1 just to have AOSP.
    Call routing issue exists regardless of the AOSP build. I ran a 4.1.2 build of AOSPA intially and the bug was still there.

Thanks Lloir and the rest of the devs that have sacrificed to get this project off the ground. Quick question though, has anyone tried to contact HTC and gauge their stance on releasing the audio drivers. I know it probably falls under proprietary software but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda premium

HTC has a notorious reputation for keeping their proprietary drivers proprietary

Did lloir's cm10.1 have the same call routing issue?

Yes i believe they are using the same files.

Sent from my SoftBank AQUOS PHONE Xx 203SH using XDA Premium

Yes his has the EXACT same issue, I'll probably end up running a cm10.1 build just to get a more current version and see how this audio issue affects a more vanilla state of android that's not super modified.

I appreciate all of your patience everyone!
    Solomon
    Lloir posts most of the progress "reports" on his Twitter page. I went and had a look at his feed yesterday and he and the guys are really doing some mad progress on the device! You should check it out.
    you can also follow my progress on http://github.com/solomon56. I'm not quite as partial to the phenomena known as twitter.

With the new build server hopefully things will go faster right?\
    Definitely, me and Lloir super appreciate the new build server, Thank you very much SlowReload!

So im taking it the development is going?
    Thanks for all your patience and development is certainly "churning" along

Is it bad that I check this topic every hour cuz I'm wicked excited for all the progress? :) keep it up guys!
    Not at all bad! I'm quite sure you are not the only one waiting
    another update for people who dont use twitter...according to lloir he is up to 90% progress on this rom. idk if that means completion or just fixing the call problem, but either way thats great news!