Where have all the cowboys gone?

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Seriously, where's the development community on these devices?

It's luck of the draw. You're talking about a $500+ device when the tablet (including iPad) ASP is $343. The N10.1-14's price alone relegates it to niche status. Scott Crossler who's a sought after dev is working on the P-600 which is a coup. In the N10.1-12 forum there was little development on the 3/4G versions because very few were sold. There was no development for the U.S. LTE versions of N10.1-12.

So if you're looking for a tablet with tons of development this isn't going to be it. Just hope a developer you follow gets a hankering for a N10.1-14. Short of buying devs N10.1-14's to curry their favor I don't see a massive influx of development happening any time soon. Also, fear of tripping KNOX has shrunk the number of root'rs which doesn't help the case of devices like the N10.1-14 which aren't sold in big volumes in the first place.

Reactions: Smac7

C2Q

Dec 10, 2011
Just hope that the new TabPro/NotePro line gets more development that can be ported over due to the exact same internals. Also yes, Knox is a huge deterrent to rooting for many people (including myself). I don't see rooting to be worth it right now, but if say CM11 came to this device, I might bite the bullet and decide to flash it.

It's luck of the draw. You're talking about a $500+ device when the tablet (including iPad) ASP is $343. The N10.1-14's price alone relegates it to niche status. Scott Crossler who's a sought after dev is working on the P-600 which is a coup. In the N10.1-12 forum there was little development on the 3/4G versions because very few were sold. There was no development for the U.S. LTE versions of N10.1-12.

So if you're looking for a tablet with tons of development this isn't going to be it. Just hope a developer you follow gets a hankering for a N10.1-14. Short of buying devs N10.1-14's to curry their favor I don't see a massive influx of development happening any time soon. Also, fear of tripping KNOX has shrunk the number of root'rs which doesn't help the case of devices like the N10.1-14 which aren't sold in big volumes in the first place.

Well said. I really do have a hard time wrapping my head around the Knox hesitation. I've had a bucketload of rooted sammies (Custom Kernels with OC/UV to boot), none of which I needed the manufacturer warranty. A flight data recorder, the presence of which shouldn't have an effect on how you pilot, and shouldnt have a direct correlative to a potential crash of the plane (Replace w/ "knox bit", "use or modify your device", "hard brick"). I wish a silly little e-fuse didn't have such a chilling effect, it's disheartening.

Just hope that the new TabPro/NotePro line gets more development that can be ported over due to the exact same internals. Also yes, Knox is a huge deterrent to rooting for many people (including myself). I don't see rooting to be worth it right now, but if say CM11 came to this device, I might bite the bullet and decide to flash it.

I hope your point proves to be a valid counter to the price condition Barry so eloquently and aptly identified as a major drag on development. Soldier forth my friend, do not let inappropriate enterprise features keep you from fully owning your device!

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Well said. I really do have a hard time wrapping my head around the Knox hesitation.

People hesitating because of KNOX fall in to two categories - 1) tech dabblers that lightly played with their devices because there were no consequences, and 2) people who connect to highly managed networks that read the KNOX flag and if its tripped refuse access. I'm in the latter category. I connect to multiple secured networks and in the past would root my device, make it my own, and then unroot it. If I trip the KNOX flag on my N10.1-14 and N3 they are basically paper weights unless I pay (out of warranty) to get the motherboards replaced. So the consequences of the KNOX flag won't deter tech demons it's the other categories that are now a bit gun shy (risk<>reward).

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
People hesitating because of KNOX fall in to two categories - 1) tech dabblers that lightly played with their devices because there were no consequences, and 2) people who connect to highly managed networks that read the KNOX flag and if its tripped refuse access. I'm in the latter category. I connect to multiple secured networks and in the past would root my device, make it my own, and then unroot it. If I trip the KNOX flag on my N10.1-14 and N3 they are basically paper weights unless I pay (out of warranty) to get the motherboards replaced. So the consequences of the KNOX flag won't deter tech demons it's the other categories that are now a bit gun shy (risk<>reward).

So the efuse has been confirmed to keep the device from connecting to secured networks even if knox is uninstalled?? If thats the case there must be a way to intercept the way that the device identifies to the network and stop it or impose a normal reading. We need someone with a knox enabled network.... Doesn't matter to me in the least bit though.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
So the efuse has been confirmed to keep the device from connecting to secured networks even if knox is uninstalled??

Yep. And network admins are giddy about it. In the past 90 day three of the five highly managed networks I connect to started reading the KNOX indicator. It's easy to spoof integrity on an Android device with s/w but the blown eFuse is pretty much black and white. The network folks I've talked to have all said they wish more Android phones behaved like Samsung's do. When that trickles up the chain of command to purchasing and control Samsung's diabolic plan with KNOX will have been successful and they'll sell more devices. We enthusiasts have been expendable all along.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
so how do the admins feel about "rooted" windows, Linux, or osx. devices. I got a asus t100 this week and had no need to wait on someone to root it. granted the modern ui side sucks compaired to android.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
so how do the admins feel about "rooted" windows, Linux, or osx. devices. I got a asus t100 this week and had no need to wait on someone to root it. granted the modern ui side sucks compaired to android.

In addition to whatever technology is put in place to secure a corporate network, the back up is always the signing of a technology compliance agreement. In it, you agree not to access the network with any device that's either not directly provided by the company, if provided by you that it has been inspected and approved by IT, and that if either category is modified by you in any way that could potentially allow the network to be breached (even if it's not) your employment will be immediately terminated. I connect to five secure networks at three different companies and have had to sign a technology compliance agreement at all three. And I've seen dozens of staff walked out of the building at all three companies for things simpler than what you're suggesting. So I guess people working at companies that take network security seriously must feel really strongly about the need to customize their mobile devices to put six-figure jobs at risk and explain why they were fired for cause to their next employer.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
didn't really let that settle in that it's not their personal device that's being tampered with, but a company owned device. in that case easy detection of a breach sure is a plus.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
didn't really let that settle in that it's not their personal device that's being tampered with, but a company owned device. in that case easy detection of a breach sure is a plus.

Quite a few (if not the majority) of large companies now have "bring your own device" (BYOD) policies. That means that employees can provide their own devices which the company loads their s/w on, usually in a discreet partition. So there's a "fun" side of the device and a "business" side. The network security and things the company needs to protect exist on the business side. No employee wants to carry a work and personal device that do the exact same thing. Advances in device security (with or without KNOX) mean they don't have to.

One of the biggest challenges for IT is ensuring that, because Android's so easy to hack, that technically adept staff don't screw around with their devices for personal benefit (tinkering and customization) and potentially expose the corporate network and/or content in the process. KNOX is gaining IT department fans because of a h/w tamper detector and the preloaded "work" and "play" partitions starting with 4.3.

For people that don't connect to secure and/or highly managed networks none of this means squat. But for those that do the world's changed pretty fast in terms of what you can and can't do to your device.

MasterZoen

Jan 19, 2014

Quite a few (if not the majority) of large companies now have "bring your own device" (BYOD) policies. That means that employees can provide their own devices which the company loads their s/w on, usually in a discreet partition. So there's a "fun" side of the device and a "business" side. The network security and things the company needs to protect exist on the business side. No employee wants to carry a work and personal device that do the exact same thing. Advances in device security (with or without KNOX) mean they don't have to.

One of the biggest challenges for IT is ensuring that, because Android's so easy to hack, that technically adept staff don't screw around with their devices for personal benefit (tinkering and customization) and potentially expose the corporate network and/or content in the process. KNOX is gaining IT department fans because of a h/w tamper detector and the preloaded "work" and "play" partitions starting with 4.3.

For people that don't connect to secure and/or highly managed networks none of this means squat. But for those that do the world's changed pretty fast in terms of what you can and can't do to your device.

KNOX trips so easily it's not even funny. My IT has found more than 30 different apps that apparently trip KNOX in our network when not a single device is tampered with. One of them is Evernote!?

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
KNOX trips so easily it's not even funny. My IT has found more than 30 different apps that apparently trip KNOX in our network. One of them is Evernote!?

The only known issue with KNOX (the actual eFuse flag) tripping that I've heard from IT that's collectively responsible for over 200K mobile devices is that an emergency s/w recovery via Kies does trip it. Samsung's obviously working on it and it may already be corrected because there's been a bunch of recent Kies3 updates. They've replaced the motherboards for free where its happened. One of the company's I connect to uses Evernote for collaboration and I have it on my N3 and N10.1-14. My KNOX status is fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seriously, where's the development community on these devices?