XZP camera distortion photos

Search This thread

Needoxygen

Jun 16, 2017
I followed this camera distortion issue since XZS , seems sony would like to cover this up. The topic in sony forum has been deleted which have all feedback photo from different countries users.
I was hoping they could fix the problem, But since they deleted the post. I think there must be a hardware problem can not fix. Sadly I'm going to return the phone.
The XZP and XZS user deserve to know. This are the photos taken by XZP owners from all over the world, form the dead post there , Hope that they don't mind I repost.
More photo click link https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ-Premium/XZP-camera-has-serious-distortion-issue/td-p/1232765

Last edited:
Reactions: alexaka1

alexaka1

Sep 16, 2016
Miskolc

wNHpsPH.jpg

qzu0ZlW.jpg

Photos of my ASUS X75VC keyboard taken with my 3 xperia devices. Xperia XZ Premium, Z3 COMPACT, Go
All photos taken with flash, relatively same distance from keyboard. All photos were taken in the xperia camera app, auto mode, in 17, 8 and 3 MP respectively.

Note: I made a mistake in the imgur description, the photo was taken in 17MP not 13 on the XZP.

Note 2: Notice the Z3C has a minor distortion as well, I never heard anyone talk about that. The Go doesn't seem to have distortion to my eyes. And the XZP definitely has distortion.

Last edited:

corallus

May 5, 2011
All wide angle phone cameras have it.
20170617_182646.jpg

That's an LG G3.
I believe it's to counter the extra barrel distortion these lenses would have

feskey

Feb 15, 2011
20170617_182646.jpg

That's an LG G3.
I believe it's to counter the extra pincushion distortion these lenses would have

No , this is not a barrel distortion , this is a pincushion distortion. which is only super cheap old model lens will have.
Should not be on a $ 800 phone,also XZP's pincushion distortion it's most extreme one in thr world.

Also dose iphone and samsung and of other brand have this issue ? sure NO !

see the compare photos

this pic show you why the XZP has the most extreme one pincushion distortion
https%3A%2F%2Fsonymobile.i.lithium.com%2Ft5%2Fimage%2Fserverpage%2Fimage-id%2F38342i0C362264426B3B4E%2Fimage-dimensions%2F1500%3Fv%3D1.0%26px%3D-1

Last edited:

corallus

May 5, 2011
"it's to COUNTER barrel distortion" you missed that word.
You also realise, that the wavy lines are not the reason for stretching at the sides of wide angle lenses?
I mean you're aware of that fact?

feskey

Feb 15, 2011
20170617_182646.jpg

That's an LG G3.
I believe it's to counter the extra barrel distortion these lenses would have

"it's to COUNTER barrel distortion" you missed that word.
You also realise, that the wavy lines are not the reason for stretching at the sides of wide angle lenses?
I mean you're aware of that fact?

the fact is on the picture I show you which align the left and bottom as parallel as possible then align the top and right ,the best result can get.
the fact is iphone and samsung and other brand don't have this kind of bad level distortion.

corallus

May 5, 2011
Yes, but they do.
LG G6 is the latest competitor that has it
Even the iPhone 7 to some degree.
And all Sony since Z5, and not one person so far has used it to blame it on what is simply not understanding what a wide angle lens will do to close subjects at the full width if the image. It will distort them to bits.
You wanna bang the drum that the stretched heads or elongated proportions at the top or bottom of a portrait shot image is this, then you'll be very disappointed if Sony do fix the waves, because that won't change the physics of wide angled photography.
But don't take my word for it, Google it, find hundreds if not thousands of discussions regarding the distortion on subjects at the sides of wide angle photos.
Because this kind of stretching is 100% normal
20170619_120618.jpg

20170619_120652.jpg

20170619_120641.jpg

feskey

Feb 15, 2011
Yes, but they do.
And all Sony since Z5, and not one person so far has used it to blame it on what is simply not understanding what a wide angle lens will do to close subjects at the full width if the image. It will distort them to bits.
You wanna bang the drum that the stretched heads or elongated proportions at the top or bottom of a portrait shot image is this, then you'll be very disappointed if Sony do fix the waves, because that won't change the physics of wide angled photography.
But don't take my word for it, Google it, find hundreds if not thousands of discussions regarding the distortion on subjects at the sides of wide angle photos.
20170619_120618.jpg

20170619_120652.jpg

20170619_120641.jpg

OH ,I'm sorry.
We are talking about two completely different issues here,You do not know what I'm talking about.
What you said here we already knew it since primary school.
Please do not mislead consumers that the "waves" have nothing to do with the SPUER LEVEL distortion from XZP, which much more serious than other phones. there is a important connection. The more complex "waves" you got will increase more perspective distortion which increase more stretched heads or elongated proportions ,the waves exactly tell you XZP camera will distortion the subjects not only at the sides ,also spread to so close the center which is not the acceptable range ,did not like iphone or samsung they deal distortion in a acceptable range.Yes of course I know they have wide angle distortion ,like I said we are talk about range.

Just curious are you the Moderator "viridis" in sonymobile forum who deleted the XZP distortion thread before? you too have the exactly the same laptop and always compare the issue with some super old cheap phone model (no offense). we are talking about a $800 flagship price model here please.
If yes, please stop wash for sony mobile. like someone says you are working so hard to cooling down the issue.
just tell your boss do something like samsung fix the same problem quickly, see below , and if no, see it anyway.

samsung start selling their S7&S7e model in March last year, some users feedback camera with distortion issue to the samsung official forum, which is the pincushion distortion just like XZP ,but not bad as XZP level. And samsung developer wrote quick reply which said they will study to fix the problem ,After three weeks the S7&S7E received a new FW upgrade which come with a new camera options SHAPE CORRECTION. Yes,when you focusing still can see the distortion on screen,but saved photo has been corrected close to perfect.

try study in link
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xper...as-serious-distortion-issue/m-p/1232765#M1760
https://xdaforums.com/xz-premium/help/distortion-issue-scientific-approach-t3622966
https://xdaforums.com/xz-premium/help/xzp-camera-distortion-issue-t3613625

Last edited:

corallus

May 5, 2011
"Just curious are you the Moderator "viridis" in sonymobile forum who deleted the XZP distortion thread before? you too have the exactly the same laptop and always compare the issue with some super old cheap phone model (no offense). we are talking about a $800 flagship price model here please.
If yes, please stop wash for sony mobile. like someone says you are working so hard to cooling down the issue.
just tell your boss do something like samsung fix the same problem quickly, see below , and if no, see it anyway."

1. I never deleted any thread, I actually spent hours fixing someone else's cockup, but feel free to continue banging that drum too, it's not like you've let facts get in the way so far.
2. I know how much it cost, I bought one or did you forget that?
3. Why would my boss care, I don't see what an engineer has to do with an online mobile phone forum?
4. I'm attempting to "cool it down" because the images you posted in all your threads so far, are very avoidable by following basic photography guides.
But anyway, your minds made up and it's a waste of time to continue to talk to you, but please stop making out that Sony actually tried to cover something up that they have had on their phones for a looooong time.

feskey

Feb 15, 2011
Yes, but they do.
20170619_120618.jpg

20170619_120652.jpg

20170619_120641.jpg

"Just curious are you the Moderator "viridis" in sonymobile forum who deleted the XZP distortion thread before? you too have the exactly the same laptop and always compare the issue with some super old cheap phone model (no offense). we are talking about a $800 flagship price model here please.
just tell your boss do something like samsung fix the same problem quickly, see below , and if no, see it anyway."

1. I never deleted any thread, I actually spent hours fixing someone else's cockup, but feel free to continue banging that drum too, it's not like you've let facts get in the way so far.
3. Why would my boss care, I don't see what an engineer has to do with an online mobile phone forum?
4. I'm attempting to "cool it down" because the images you posted in all your threads so far, are very avoidable by following basic photography guides.
But anyway, your minds made up and it's a waste of time to continue to talk to you, but please stop making out that Sony actually tried to cover something up that they have had on their phones for a looooong time.

You are so adorable , I've started to like you .since I told you three days ago that I did not want to waste time on you in sony mobile forum.
how about give us a look at your portrait,full body, half of the body from XZP ,IPhone5,6,S8,S7 all in the same composition to show us how you think your basic photography guides is ? NO I'm sure you will not ,you don't want to let us to see the different. And you will not to show the forcing enlarged poor lonely single beer cans too ,which you already hide it from sony mobile forum,for fear that someone else sees the thin waist distortion in the middle of the can ,the samsung and iphone won't make it this ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: hosseinzfff

corallus

May 5, 2011
Well the three photos on the previous page were a galaxy S6, but in portrait, will an iPhone 6s do?
I tried to match the kind of angles seen in op and bear in mind, the 6s doesn't have the same wide angle as Xperia.
20170620_190302.jpg

20170620_190400.jpg

Maybe you can post some from wide angle lenses that show non stretching at the angles shown in your posts?

feskey

Feb 15, 2011
Well the three photos on the previous page were a galaxy S6, but in portrait, will an iPhone 6s do?
I tried to match the kind of angles seen in op and bear in mind, the 6s doesn't have the same wide angle as Xperia.
20170620_190302.jpg

20170620_190400.jpg

Maybe you can post some from wide angle lenses that show non stretching at the angles shown in your posts?

I'm sorry ,I hate to say that:
Finally know that you are not playing fool, your understanding ability seems to really have serious problems!
like I said you will not show the XZP photo , you just afraid to show the compare results. OK ,that's fine. Cause your second picture already explained everything ,we can see you push really hard to make the head on the corner to get distortion this light level ,and you can see all my uploaded photo the head are close to the center point, none of them is so close to the corner it's already overweight level distortion. We can not use a XZP take portrait always put the head in the precise center point to avoid distortion ,and even if we do so ,the body will distort also overweight level as you can see in my uploaded photo. Also S7 & S8 will deal the distortion much better than S6, since they have a distortion correction options which they do really listen to consumer.
good luck and what a nice beautiful girl anyway.(The yellow line is transparent)

Last edited:
Reactions: hosseinzfff

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
I think entire XZP line is affected, Guess like Samsung did with their S7 line up, they should fix this issue with a software update. Like feskey posted S7e photos, Sony has a similar issue, So I assume it can be fixed.

Souflyy

Apr 19, 2012
I have this disortion issue also on my Xperia XZ (normal - not premium).
Very annoying, that the Sony manager said, that this is normal. So I dont expect an update.
On my Samsung S7 I got an update with Shape Correction which fixed this. I think its a Post-Processing Algorithm.

YUYYY

Jun 22, 2017
Yes that wavy it's definitely the reason for stretching , not only ad the sides it is almost stretching the center point.

65572b31e3b0a54c2539ebb2228fe9babfaa62b32ce468b4a027be4bad5d139b.jpg

3e268d7d9bd92bfcc55bd1ad6aa9729dbd12e4a8110ea50a4fb91872975e97fe.jpg

see this sony official dancing woman's photos (above photo)from XZP you can find in your phone,The distortion has been already there very serious, just that wall have bad workmanship make you think it is.Do a anti color you will see the serious distortion just absolutely same as XZP distortion map below .
5d88b9f9324ddc5a0896b2999627588b5f760d7fc4bc6e6d982fc6bad32b32dc.jpg

7a390bb89f8eb7813febc8b41b3cf451cb812ad6edacb75b9ac7ac97afc732ae.jpg

look at the merger photo here you will see the coincide curve line.You know what is the most coincidence part that this little woman's head and body just inside the blue box area where have less distortion.\.XZP review online they all took photo from long distant landscape,no close-range or people so we can see the issue very coincidental .S PHONE and IPHONE review usually have close range shoot and close portrait.
cfa57c9e0b097b21dde69f98123ddc7e3e500ec921a62e63c1cdea0e6eba9d55.jpg

5f427a33c5120b0dd02a12135a23cbb60c5a5ca04d921e166c3f7df0c933d26d.jpg

See this official photos.Whether use any angle to shoot these light bulbs should be regular spherical,rgiht ?! But the one closest to the yellow safe area has been distort absolutely serious already.I'm not saying that wide angle don't have distortion, But this level ..........!This is definitely not a photographer and perspective problem.Also the "curve line" certainly affected distortion.
Now the light bulb photo and map explained why my photo will be seriously deformed ,and also explained that no matter what angle and composition I try I can't get one normal photo .Explained that why I use a 4:3 scale will have even more elongate head,also more and more in single person photo like below. (borrow from other user) Exactly same issue like my traveler's photos,which they Complained about.

This is not an ordinary perspective and wide-angle problem or what ever industry standards is.More like a failed lens design ,what is the point to use the lens like that ? Mobile phone camera should be to allow users to take pictures more easily than professional camera.Most users will not use the phone to shoot master style landscape photos. Most of them are normal shooting for ordinary live photo.If this phone designed for some landscape and flowers which are random shape please put it in the ad and packaging.Also even the landscape you can see the distortion easily than other phone.
3ba8b08ebeb063b306d70b94601b895ff5a33e05637ad7c5285c38d5b7359aa5.jpg

My old note5 and the new S8 I tried ,Safe area it is roughly in green box see above photo.

Last edited:

Needoxygen

Jun 16, 2017
It's more clear now.
Which phone will distort the portrait and object like this range? Only sony xzp.
Samsung can fix it ,wht not sony?Sony need fix it ASAP.

bormasina

May 11, 2011
Rubbish lens.

WOW man, just WOW. Whatever you say is not cool. Not cool at all man.

XZP has distortion very close to center which is very different than a typical wide angle lens distortion that shows up around the edges of the photo but not very close to the center. Not to brag, just to give you perspective that i know DSLR sh**t, i own few canon full frame cameras and some nice canon L lens. Have been in photo world for a while.

Attached is mine example. Not cool at all.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 368

kiwibank

Jun 26, 2017
I has a s6 before buying XZP, no problem at all of take pictures for family members. Now I was shocked by XZP,portrait photos are all distorted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I followed this camera distortion issue since XZS , seems sony would like to cover this up. The topic in sony forum has been deleted which have all feedback photo from different countries users.
    I was hoping they could fix the problem, But since they deleted the post. I think there must be a hardware problem can not fix. Sadly I'm going to return the phone.
    The XZP and XZS user deserve to know. This are the photos taken by XZP owners from all over the world, form the dead post there , Hope that they don't mind I repost.
    More photo click link https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ-Premium/XZP-camera-has-serious-distortion-issue/td-p/1232765

Yes, but they do.
    20170619_120618.jpg

20170619_120652.jpg

20170619_120641.jpg

You are so adorable , I've started to like you .since I told you three days ago that I did not want to waste time on you in sony mobile forum.
    how about give us a look at your portrait,full body, half of the body from XZP ,IPhone5,6,S8,S7 all in the same composition to show us how you think your basic photography guides is ? NO I'm sure you will not ,you don't want to let us to see the different. And you will not to show the forcing enlarged poor lonely single beer cans too ,which you already hide it from sony mobile forum,for fear that someone else sees the thin waist distortion in the middle of the can ,the samsung and iphone won't make it this ugly.
    20170620_190302.jpg

20170620_190400.jpg

I'm sorry ,I hate to say that:
    Finally know that you are not playing fool, your understanding ability seems to really have serious problems!
    like I said you will not show the XZP photo , you just afraid to show the compare results. OK ,that's fine. Cause your second picture already explained everything ,we can see you push really hard to make the head on the corner to get distortion this light level ,and you can see all my uploaded photo the head are close to the center point, none of them is so close to the corner it's already overweight level distortion. We can not use a XZP take portrait always put the head in the precise center point to avoid distortion ,and even if we do so ,the body will distort also overweight level as you can see in my uploaded photo. Also S7 & S8 will deal the distortion much better than S6, since they have a distortion correction options which they do really listen to consumer.
    good luck and what a nice beautiful girl anyway.(The yellow line is transparent)