CM10 Usability enhancement tweaks

Search This thread

_crAss_

Sep 19, 2009
First of all many thanks to all those people who have made it possible to run CM10 on our mobiles - Kabaldan most importantly for developing CM10 and skrilax for the nightly builds. Also all developers like zepellinrox, fufu for the various applications, scripts and tweaks.

Since other users asked for a list of tweaks/modifications etc. I prepared this post.

The things I am proposing below are working for me, they might not work or be suitable to you and the way you use your device. I am just sharing my experiences.

Before installation:
- Fast micro sdhc card (4K random writes at 2 MB/s)
- 1 Ext 3 partition of 950 MB
- 1 Swap Partition of 950 MB
- Fufu open recovery minimod v.0.23
- Wipe all

After installation
- Install miui cam app from the link below. The first time camera is run, it asks for default application just choose the miui
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1687161&d=1359486822
- Install Quickpic. The first time gallery is run, it asks for default application, just choose quickpic.
- If there is a trouble with alarms of the default clock application (app freezing after choosing alarms) just erase cache of the app.
- Install FTL Launcher Lite (free mode is ok – no need for the paid one).
- Activate swap. I am using 98swapon script by fufu and I activate the whole of the available swap on my card. With the settings I use after a couple of days it usually stays below 100 MB. If you want experiment with fixed 64 MB, 80 MB or 128 MB.
- Install script manager from market
- Download the latest zeppelinrox script and the supercharger starter kit
From the starter kit install only sqlite3+zipalign_installer_v6.sh
Run the supercharger script and install it and activate what you want (I have activated everything and use 512 MB multitasking settings)
After that you will achieve 50% activation of the script.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18703418&postcount=5021
- Download Ultimate Jar Power Tools windows version. In order to install it you need to activate usb debugging and run the application as administrator from the pc. I think you also need Motorola drivers so that the phone is recognized by the pc. I activate everything.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1914159
- I install autostarts, this is a program with which you can disable startup items. It is a paid app, I have not searched if there is a free alternative. I disable almost all non-system apps that I do not want running after boot and some system ones with great care like maps.
- I disable hardware acceleration for most apps I usually run. I have found this makes things a bit faster. This is because we are running with a CM9 graphics driver (maybe this is not the only reason, please correct me).
- After installing about 50 apps I have some trouble with play store. The app downloads but never installs. I have to exit play store, open a couple of apps that need much memory (e.g. navigation software, browsers etc.). After that I fire up play store again and the app starts installing. Also it has happened with some big apps in size (above 20 MB) that it says no free space is available. After clearing the cache of apps like web browsers, skype, navigation software, etc. the installation is possible.
- In order to make vibration stick even after reboot, it must be activated in profile settings. If the choice is made through the drawer it is lost after a reboot.

Most probably I have forgotten something; I will add it later on…

Quentin himself

May 5, 2009
950MB for swap? Really? Too big.

Improve speed by setting all (3; windows, scale and speed) animations to disabled in Dev Options.
Uninstall Gallery and Trebuchet when you have installed an other app (QuickPic, FLT or Lightning Launcher) same for the Cam App.

I will keep this reply updated with all infos I can remember.

_crAss_

Sep 19, 2009
Never intended to use 950 MB swap with milestone and whenever I have seen the swap going over 150 MB in usage the phone is at the edge of usability. There are scripts and apps with which you can set a specific part of the swap partition for swap so you can actually set whatever you want from the 950 MB.
When going from one mobile to the next I usually don't format the card, since mp3s and so on will remain there. I formatted the card assuming that I would use it with my future phone as well and anyhow 32 GB are more than I currently use (about 15 GB). My last memory card of 8 GB came from my previous phone.
I was doing tests to see when the phone started to lag and this is why I had let it unlimited to the full 950 MB. It was about the time I installed zepellinrox script with ultimate jar tools. One side effect was that swap grew very slowly in comparison with before. I noticed that even after 3-4 days rarely it exceeded about 100 MB. Fufu also said that he would include in his script the option to set a specific size of the swap in the next version. So I kinda let it there.

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
Thanks _crAss_ for the usefull post and the work you put into it to help others. Whenever I have the time I will take the plunge into CM10 to see how it goes. As soon as I get it to my liking and if I enconter any problems/issues I will report it here so others might read as well.

Thanks again. :good:

Tiago Costa

Nov 18, 2010
I think one the most important of all this tricks is the fast SD Card. But I'm unable to find a good one. Mine is a SDC10/8GB from Kingston, but is not really fast at 4K writes. Do someone know good models? I want to buy a new one if it complies the necessary speed.

_crAss_

Sep 19, 2009
There is a post at another forum with lots of benchmarks. I give the link below. The problem is that different production dates give different results. I got the transcend Ultra 32 Gb, the results are not the same as the ones reported in that post, but are comparable and fortunately the 4K random writes is good. My old card was a Toshiba class 6 bought years ago, presenting class 10 speeds in sequential read/write. Unfortunately 4K writes were down to 0.016 KB/s making it unusable for swap (I used to use the internal memory for swap then).

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1582172

_crAss_

Sep 19, 2009
Also yesterday I installed viber and experienced huge battery drain, about 10-10% per hour. Even though I disabled everything through autostarts it kept popping up in running apps list and I guess it constantly tried to connect to no avail (since I activate wifi or 3G only when I want to log on to the internet). The new battery I have with moderate use goes up to 2 days, so imagine my shock of going down to almost in a couple of hours with screen off during the night...

Reactions: Ricfil

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
I´ve installed CM10 on my phone and I´m in the process of configuring all the apps I need on it. I will just give my first impressions of the pros ands cons.

Pros:

- CM10 seems smoother than 9 (when everything works correctly), but this might be due to cpu overclock settings (I´ll explain later);

- Still did not experiment with other cm10 exclusive functions like Google Now for example, but if they work that is a plus for me;

- Contacts Import/Export from SDCard option available from the Phone app;

- SMS sending on Enter issue with CM9 seems not hapening on 10 (I remember using it before and it did not happen on 10). Still need to further check on that.

Cons:

- Power button options do not include a screenshot option (as CM9 did);

- Notification bar when pulled hides the icons on top (I do believe on cm9 they remained there), and the user can´t see, in real time, the changes made;

- Network icon stays blank when conection is very,very low/no conection is possible (happens a lot with ****ty Vodafone at may house), to the point that I do not know if I do not have any conection at all (on CM9 when the network was inexistent a "x" appeard instead of the network strengh bars);

- Camera app does not have the option (nor the media/camera sounds renaming option helps) to disable shutter and focus sounds (it could be useful for people who wanted to use the stock camera for photos and panorama and another camera for video). I´m using UCam at the moment and the option is there. Did not try MUIU camera nor Zoom Camera as other options yet as mencioned somewhere, but I believe at least MUIU camera does not have panorama option (a feature I love to use and used alot on CM9);

- Overclock feature does not stick even after a screen on/off situation. It always reverts back to maximum 1000MHZ cpu clock (what I talked above-maybe the smootheness I feel is due to the cpu clock this high?). Most probably. My battery came to 20% from 100% in less than 6 hours with the cpu clocked like that.
On CM9 I used to use 600MHZ for comon tasks and 800MHZ for heavier tasks/heavy games (along with Swap enabled) and it did the trick perfectly. More than 800MHZ the cpu just gets to hot and the battery drain is too high in my opinion. Using the overclock script mod (when you need to change/scale everything to the clock you need) simply does not cut it for the use I´m after (quick change between options). Will try and see if old Milestone Overclock does the job on CM10.

From the top of my head these seem to be the things that popped out at first glance (and some really anoying - like the cpu thing). Will test it further and report back :good:

P.S: Is it possible to disable the CRT screen off style? I do prefer a simpler "old" school screen off style.

Last edited:

_crAss_

Sep 19, 2009
First of all which governor have you set? With it set to inteactive most of the time it settles at 250 MHz when doing nothing. I get (with a new battery) very long standby times. Even when fooling around with the phone a lot I can get easily a full day.
The screenshot in the power button menu can be activated in settings (System-Power menu).
If I remember correctly the animations can be turned off in Developer options.

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
First of all which governor have you set? With it set to inteactive most of the time it settles at 250 MHz when doing nothing. I get (with a new battery) very long standby times. Even when fooling around with the phone a lot I can get easily a full day.
The screenshot in the power button menu can be activated in settings (System-Power menu).
If I remember correctly the animations can be turned off in Developer options.

Thanks for the reply. The governor setting is set to interactive, but still when I do use the phone it ramps up to 1000MHZ which, at least in my phone,the battery has got to years plus, it shortens battery life a lot, and I do believe the cpu gets to hot for my liking really. I installed Set CPU, the problem with it is that sometimes when rebooting the stock governor settings stick and override the Setcpu one´s. Other times it does not happen, and Setcpu one´s prevaile...

Relating the screenshot option, I found the menu I needed thanks to your input:good:. Still I can´t find any option for the CRT animation under development options or any other option really. Maybe it is not present on CM10? Other things I notice on CM10 is that sometimes when turning the phone on (booting) it does not always lock on my network provider, even filling in the pin number. Sometimes I go and notice the network is not activated at all and have to put the phone to fligh mode and back again for it to lock in. Other than that I´m installing all my apps and will see how it goes. For now it is snappy enough :D

pnsdhrn

Nov 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I´ve installed CM10 on my phone and I´m in the process of configuring all the apps I need on it. I will just give my first impressions of the pros ands cons.

Pros:

- CM10 seems smoother than 9 (when everything works correctly), but this might be due to cpu overclock settings (I´ll explain later);

- Still did not experiment with other cm10 exclusive functions like Google Now for example, but if they work that is a plus for me;

- Contacts Import/Export from SDCard option available from the Phone app;

- SMS sending on Enter issue with CM9 seems not hapening on 10 (I remember using it before and it did not happen on 10). Still need to further check on that.

Cons:

- Notification bar when pulled hides the icons on top (I do believe on cm9 they remained there), and the user can´t see, in real time, the changes made;

- Network icon stays blank when conection is very,very low/no conection is possible (happens a lot with ****ty Vodafone at may house), to the point that I do not know if I do not have any conection at all (on CM9 when the network was inexistent a "x" appeard instead of the network strengh bars);

- Camera app does not have the option (nor the media/camera sounds renaming option helps) to disable shutter and focus sounds (it could be useful for people who wanted to use the stock camera for photos and panorama and another camera for video). I´m using UCam at the moment and the option is there. Did not try MUIU camera nor Zoom Camera as other options yet as mencioned somewhere, but I believe at least MUIU camera does not have panorama option (a feature I love to use and used alot on CM9);

- Overclock feature does not stick even after a screen on/off situation. It always reverts back to maximum 1000MHZ cpu clock (what I talked above-maybe the smootheness I feel is due to the cpu clock this high?). Most probably. My battery came to 20% from 100% in less than 6 hours with the cpu clocked like that.
On CM9 I used to use 600MHZ for comon tasks and 800MHZ for heavier tasks/heavy games (along with Swap enabled) and it did the trick perfectly. More than 800MHZ the cpu just gets to hot and the battery drain is too high in my opinion. Using the overclock script mod (when you need to change/scale everything to the clock you need) simply does not cut it for the use I´m after (quick change between options). Will try and see if old Milestone Overclock does the job on CM10.

From the top of my head these seem to be the things that popped out at first glance (and some really anoying - like the cpu thing). Will test it further and report back :good:

P.S: Is it possible to disable the CRT screen off style? I do prefer a simpler "old" school screen off style.

Dear Ricfil,
I also agree with most of your findings.Are you using the stock launcher 'Trebuchet'?If you install 'Lightening Launcher' and delete Trbuchet CM10 will become more smooth.More over Lightening Launcher is lighter than than Trebuchet and FTL Launcher also.
Regarding UCam,it's present update is much worse than the previous making it user unfriendly and it's camera mode unusable.So I uninstalled it and tried with MIUI Camera.Although it is much light with 463 KB it is spartan and lacks major options like video flash.video zoom ,panorama camera etc.So I installed Zoom Camera now and found it is the most smoothest than the stck,MIUI&UCam having a low weight of 550 KB,with all functions like,Video Zoom,Video Flash,Shutter Sounds,Panorama, abundant options of focusing&colour filters etc.It's also is the most user friendly and it is having frequent updates also.
Coming to Battery Drain,if you install an apk from Playstore namely 'Greenify',it will considerably reduce the battery drain by hibernating unwanted applications running in the background all the time.It will allow the apk to run only when it is needed.
About CRT I don't know much much about it.So will you please through some light on it so we can understand in detail?
Thanking you...

Last edited:

Tiago Costa

Nov 18, 2010

Did you enable this option (Settings > System > Power menu)? I loved this feature in CM10 (don't remember if it is available in CM9).

This was changed in CM10. When you have no signal, the icon is a unfilled triangle with a thin border. But if there is signal, but it is too low, you see the dark grey bars.

I didn't find the option, maybe kabaldan didn't put it yet.

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
Dear Ricfil,
I also agree with most of your findings.Are you using the stock launcher 'Trebuchet'?If you install 'Lightening Launcher' and delete Trbuchet CM10 will become more smooth.More over Lightening Launcher is lighter than than Trebuchet and FTL Launcher also.
Regarding UCam,it's present update is much worse than the previous making it user unfriendly and it's camera mode unusable.So I uninstalled it and tried with MIUI Camera.Although it is much light with 463 KB it is spartan and lacks major options like video flash.video zoom ,panorama camera etc.So I installed Zoom Camera now and found it is the most smoothest than the stck,MIUI&UCam having a low weight of 550 KB,with all functions like,Video Zoom,Video Flash,Shutter Sounds,Panorama, abundant options of focusing&colour filters etc.It's also is the most user friendly and it is having frequent updates also.
Coming to Battery Drain,if you install an apk from Playstore namely 'Greenify',it will considerably reduce the battery drain by hibernating unwanted applications running in the background all the time.It will allow the apk to run only when it is needed.
About CRT I don't know much much about it.So will you please through some light on it so we can understand in detail?
Thanking you...

:good: Thanks for the info man.

Relating Lightning Launcher, I´ve tried it before but the learning curve for it is to much for me right now. I need something easy ti use and fast. This Launcher is so amazing in the way it has got so much it can do that it tends to be to overwhelming, for me at least. I´m using the good "old" Launcher Pro on CM10 and for now it is doing the job pretty well in my opinion. Fast, stable, with all I need.

Another subject I notice is when titanium restoring apps some of them restore to the sdcard (not internal memory-ext partition). if I try to move them to the ext partition(internal memory) with the built in app configuration of CM10 an error appeares relating low memory on internal memory-when there is plenty of memory in there-on the ext partition. A workaround I found was using Titanium himself to move the apps to internal memory. It does the trick for me:)

Relating the camera aspect, I´m fortunate enough to have an old UCam version (agree with you, last one is not indeed user friendly-I much prefer the version I´m using). Will have to check Zoom Camera to see how it goes for me. By the way, did you unistall stock Camera and Galery? If so, did you do it the normal (aplication configuration) way?

Will definetly check the Greenify app also. But still the 1000MHZ clock is there, which is too much in my opinion at least. I´ve already created 2 10 overclock files with one of them with max cpu clock at 800MHZ (for heavy stuff-like games and such) and one with 600MHZ (for common tasks). They work great, the problem is that the script only sticks at boot, If I could find a way to make it stick when the system is on that would be awesome (to swap between them on the fly;) ). It probably isn´t possible-at leats for now.

The CRT aspect I mencion is the effect you see when pressing the power/on/off button to turn the screen off (that quick white line effect you see, like it happened with "old" CRT TVs (don´t know if your familiar with them, those big boxes of the 70s/80s/90S :cool:

Do you have a way to turn that effect off? On CM9 there was an option for it. On 10 I can´t seem to find it.

Will continue configuring the phone and will be posting back:good:

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Did you enable this option (Settings > System > Power menu)? I loved this feature in CM10 (don't remember if it is available in CM9).

This was changed in CM10. When you have no signal, the icon is a unfilled triangle with a thin border. But if there is signal, but it is too low, you see the dark grey bars.

I didn't find the option, maybe kabaldan didn't put it yet.

Screenshot issue:

Obrigado. O user _crAss_ ajudou-me com essa opção é já a encontrei:)

Thank you. User _crAss_ helped me with that option and I´ve already found it.

Network Icon:

Yhea, I did get that. I guess I prefered the x icon when no network was available, because I do not know if when the signal is to low any bar appear (and if so, that might confuse me between very low signal and no signal at all). When the signal is good the bars are clearer?! I do believe this change is way more confusing than using the CM9 method, but... opinions :confused:

CRT style screen off:

Yhea, same here... :good:

Obrigado.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: pnsdhrn

pnsdhrn

Nov 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
:good: Thanks for the info man.

Relating Lightning Launcher, I´ve tried it before but the learning curve for it is to much for me right now. I need something easy ti use and fast. This Launcher is so amazing in the way it has got so much it can do that it tends to be to overwhelming, for me at least. I´m using the good "old" Launcher Pro on CM10 and for now it is doing the job pretty well in my opinion. Fast, stable, with all I need.

Another subject I notice is when titanium restoring apps some of them restore to the sdcard (not internal memory-ext partition). if I try to move them to the ext partition(internal memory) with the built in app configuration of CM10 an error appeares relating low memory on internal memory-when there is plenty of memory in there-on the ext partition. A workaround I found was using Titanium himself to move the apps to internal memory. It does the trick for me:)

Relating the camera aspect, I´m fortunate enough to have an old UCam version (agree with you, last one is not indeed user friendly-I much prefer the version I´m using). Will have to check Zoom Camera to see how it goes for me. By the way, did you unistall stock Camera and Galery? If so, did you do it the normal (aplication configuration) way?

Will definetly check the Greenify app also. But still the 1000MHZ clock is there, which is too much in my opinion at least. I´ve already created 2 10 overclock files with one of them with max cpu clock at 800MHZ (for heavy stuff-like games and such) and one with 600MHZ (for common tasks). They work great, the problem is that the script only sticks at boot, If I could find a way to make it stick when the system is on that would be awesome (to swap between them on the fly;) ). It probably isn´t possible-at leats for now.

The CRT aspect I mencion is the effect you see when pressing the power/on/off button to turn the screen off (that quick white line effect you see, like it happened with "old" CRT TVs (don´t know if your familiar with them, those big boxes of the 70s/80s/90S :cool:

Do you have a way to turn that effect off? On CM9 there was an option for it. On 10 I can´t seem to find it.

Will continue configuring the phone and will be posting back:good:

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Screenshot issue:

Obrigado. O user _crAss_ ajudou-me com essa opção é já a encontrei:)

Thank you. User _crAss_ helped me with that option and I´ve already found it.

Network Icon:

Yhea, I did get that. I guess I prefered the x icon when no network was available, because I do not know if when the signal is to low any bar appear (and if so, that might confuse me between very low signal and no signal at all). When the signal is good the bars are clearer?! I do believe this change is way more confusing than using the CM9 method, but... opinions :confused:

CRT style screen off:

Yhea, same here... :good:

Obrigado.

Thanks again

Thanks Ricfil for the reply.
regarding stock gallery apk,I uninstalled it using TitaniumBackup with deletion of Backup and wiping of Data.
Coming to setting of CPU,have you used the facility in Settings/Performance/Processor/Maximum CPU frequency to set maximum to 800?
Regarding installation apks,I use the following method.After installation using Playstore or side loading the apks which show in the internal memory are moved to SD Card using Titanium Backup.AT first Titanium will ask whether Ext partition has to be activated.I opted yes.Thereafter Titanium will move all the apks to sd .In it there is also option to move the apks to internal memory.
And thanks for the information for CRT.Iam familier with it with my CRT TV.But I am sorry to offer a remark since I didn't give a particular noticce for it.
Thank you again

Last edited:

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
Yes, they are almost white, it's very easy to distinguish them. But when data is activated and working well, they turn blue.

De nada :)! You're welcome.

Ok. I guess I´ll have to live with the color adaptation in the network icon on CM10 :). I guess it must be ok, after a few days/months of usage.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Thanks Ricfil for the reply.
regarding stock gallery apk,I uninstalled it using TitaniumBackup with deletion of Backup and wiping of Data.
Coming to setting of CPU,have you used the facility in Settings/Performance/Processor/Maximum CPU frequency to set maximum to 800?
Regarding installation apks,I use the following method.After installation using Playstore or side loading the apks which show in the internal memory are moved to SD Card using Titanium Backup.AT first Titanium will ask whether Ext partition has to be activated.I opted yes.Thereafter Titanium will move all the apks to sd .In it there is also option to move the apks to internal memory.
And thanks for the information for CRT.Iam familier with it with my CRT TV.But I am sorry to offer a remark since I didn't give a particular noticce for it.
Thank you again

Ok. If I understood correctly, you unistalled the galery.apk of the phone using titanium, and after also deleted the galery backup on Titanium?... Did not quite get it:confused: May I simply unistall the camera and gallery whithout the phone go bootloop or something like that (my main issue, since no backup was made yet)?

Regarding Titanium apps installation, mine did not ask where I wanted the apps to be installed:confused:, they simply install and the stock app2ext script installs the apps onto the ext partition (when it works-since some apps do not install using the stock functions on my phone). That is why I mencioned I´m using titanium to "force install" apps to internal memory (ext partition). I´ve managed to install them all, will see if they are not broken or something like that. :rolleyes:

On a side note. I´m pretty shure when I first installed CM10 (5 months ago) it had the option on keyboard settings to choose to disable the enter key to send sms messages (hardware keyboard). That was one of the things that made me switch to it again, since CM9 does not have this option. But lately I´ve been looking for that option and it is no longer there. At least I can´t find it...arghhh :mad: I HATE the lack of that feature. Pisses me off! LOL. Maybe kabaldan took the option out? :confused: Hope not...

Also today, a feature I was having pretty comonly the first time I installed CM10 happened again. The "Telephony problem-phone needs to reboot" dreadfull window appeard again, no network resulted from there and a reboot was the only way out of it. Some bugs I guess... that is why CM10 is still in Alpha stage I believe...

See you.

P.S: I´ve just read a private message from a fellow forum member named Sunxperous who was kind enough to help me out regarding the CRT style effect option. Better than using my on words, I believe he might not mind if I put here what he explained about the options to enable and disable that setting. It went like this:

Hello

I do not have the number of posts required to post in the development forums, so here is a private message with regards to the screen-off CRT animation.

I believe the option you are looking for is found under Settings > Developer Options, "Window animation scale". A scale of 1x renders the CRT effect, a scale of 0.5x and off disables the CRT effect.

I read elsewhere on the forum that turning the animation scales off or setting them at 0.5x makes the phone feel snappier. I liked the CRT animation, hence I kept "Window animation scale" at 1x.

I hope this helps, and if it does, do enlighten fellow Milestone users in the thread about it.

Sun

Big thanks for his contribution and once again thanks for the info :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiago Costa

pnsdhrn

Nov 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Ok. I guess I´ll have to live with the color adaptation in the network icon on CM10 :). I guess it must be ok, after a few days/months of usage.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Ok. If I understood correctly, you unistalled the galery.apk of the phone using titanium, and after also deleted the galery backup on Titanium?... Did not quite get it:confused: May I simply unistall the camera and gallery whithout the phone go bootloop or something like that (my main issue, since no backup was made yet)?

Regarding Titanium apps installation, mine did not ask where I wanted the apps to be installed:confused:, they simply install and the stock app2ext script installs the apps onto the ext partition (when it works-since some apps do not install using the stock functions on my phone). That is why I mencioned I´m using titanium to "force install" apps to internal memory (ext partition). I´ve managed to install them all, will see if they are not broken or something like that. :rolleyes:

On a side note. I´m pretty shure when I first installed CM10 (5 months ago) it had the option on keyboard settings to choose to disable the enter key to send sms messages (hardware keyboard). That was one of the things that made me switch to it again, since CM9 does not have this option. But lately I´ve been looking for that option and it is no longer there. At least I can´t find it...arghhh :mad: I HATE the lack of that feature. Pisses me off! LOL. Maybe kabaldan took the option out? :confused: Hope not...

Also today, a feature I was having pretty comonly the first time I installed CM10 happened again. The "Telephony problem-phone needs to reboot" dreadfull window appeard again, no network resulted from there and a reboot was the only way out of it. Some bugs I guess... that is why CM10 is still in Alpha stage I believe...

See you.

P.S: I´ve just read a private message from a fellow forum member named Sunxperous who was kind enough to help me out regarding the CRT style effect option. Better than using my on words, I believe he might not mind if I put here what he explained about the options to enable and disable that setting. It went like this:

Big thanks for his contribution and once again thanks for the info :good:

Regarding uninstallation of gallery.apk,I uninstalled it using Titanium with deletion of Backup.You can uninstall without deleting Backup.If Backup is deleted you can't restore the apk with Titanium.

Titanium will ask only in the first time after flashing the ROM with a full wipe and reinstalling Titanium as to whether ext sd card is to be configured for installing the apks.If we agree to it then it will install the apks to ext sd card automatically all the time afterwards without repeating the same question.

In relation to keyboard settings for "enter key' I also do not see any options in Settings/language input.

But I experience a problem with MMS.?The phone does not send MMS eventhough I completed the APN set up for the MMS as per the default settings specifications provided by my Carrier provider.When I press the SEND button the MMS shows 'Sending'.But it never sends.What should be the problem and what is the remedy?
Thanking you once more....

Last edited:

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
Titanium will ask only in the first time after flashing the ROM with a full wipe and reinstalling Titanium as to whether ext sd card is to be configured for installing the apks.If we agree to it then it will install the apks to ext sd card automatically all the time afterwards without repeating the same question.

But I experience a problem with MMS.?The phone does not send MMS eventhough I completed the APN set up for the MMS as per the default settings specifications provided by my Carrier provider.When I press the SEND button the MMS shows 'Sending'.But it never sends.What should be the problem and what is the remedy?
Thanking you once more....

Titanium did not ask that on first time for me. I´m pretty shure it didn´t. Nevertheless, I found the way mencioned before to install all the misisng apps to internal/ext partition.:)

Relating the mms issue, I havent tried to send an mms yet. Will let you know how it goes when I do. If you did enable "activated data" option on definitons>wireless & networks>more>mobile networks, have network data enabled on the carrier side and it still does not send it, it is probably another CM10 bug I guess. I´ve read about people also having problems with tethering and the likes... Things meant to happen in "a work in progress" I guess...

Regarding Grennify, I´ve already configured all the apps possible to be hibernated on the app, but still, system apps like Maps, Google Play and others (which are always turning on on background memory) cannot be "grennified", with a warning that those system apps can´t be "touched"... It would be cool if this app would actually let users grennify all available apps...

Just remembered, things I don´t like on the notification area on CM10: The fact that the drop down isn´t semi-transparant like on CM9 and date is above the icons with big letters (personal opinion, but I prefered the smaller below the icons date letters on CM9). Small issues I believe :D.

Things I do like on CM10 notification area:

Available info regarding calls received, sms received and the option to directly send an sms back/call someone on the fly. I also like the fact that the user is able to quick delete all running background apps on multitasking menu by simply clicking one button. Good thinking! :good:

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

pnsdhrn

Nov 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Titanium did not ask that on first time for me. I´m pretty shure it didn´t. Nevertheless, I found the way mencioned before to install all the misisng apps to internal/ext partition.:)

Relating the mms issue, I havent tried to send an mms yet. Will let you know how it goes when I do. If you did enable "activated data" option on definitons>wireless & networks>more>mobile networks, have network data enabled on the carrier side and it still does not send it, it is probably another CM10 bug I guess. I´ve read about people also having problems with tethering and the likes... Things meant to happen in "a work in progress" I guess...

Regarding Grennify, I´ve already configured all the apps possible to be hibernated on the app, but still, system apps like Maps, Google Play and others (which are always turning on on background memory) cannot be "grennified", with a warning that those system apps can´t be "touched"... It would be cool if this app would actually let users grennify all available apps...

Just remembered, things I don´t like on the notification area on CM10: The fact that the drop down isn´t semi-transparant like on CM9 and date is above the icons with big letters (personal opinion, but I prefered the smaller below the icons date letters on CM9). Small issues I believe :D.

Things I do like on CM10 notification area:

Available info regarding calls received, sms received and the option to directly send an sms back/call someone on the fly. I also like the fact that the user is able to quick delete all running background apps on multitasking menu by simply clicking one button. Good thinking! :good:

Thanks for the heads up.

Maps and Google Search can be greenified by converting it user apk using Titanium or by uninstalling them and reinstalling from Playstore.I didn't try to greenify Playstore as it may become harmful sometimes considering the unpredictable nature of it.But I think it won't run in background all the time if we get out of it after it's use by long pressing the back button if this button has assigned 'kill apk function'.
And waiting for your report on MMS after your test in convenience,
with thanks....

Ricfil

Dec 16, 2010
O´Porto
Maps and Google Search can be greenified by converting it user apk using Titanium or by uninstalling them and reinstalling from Playstore.I didn't try to greenify Playstore as it may become harmful sometimes considering the unpredictable nature of it.But I think it won't run in background all the time if we get out of it after it's use by long pressing the back button if this button has assigned 'kill apk function'.
And waiting for your report on MMS after your test in convenience,
with thanks....

Ok man. Thanks. I´ve used Titanium to convert Maps and Google Search to user apps and it works wonders :D Play Store does not work, whenever you go to update an app, Play Store crashes and never launches again, with an error. It must be a system app I believe - when coverted back all went ok. On the first launch Greenify seemed to ocuppy lots of ram on my phone, making it sluggish, but after a reboot all started to go well :confused: It seems a pretty nice app indeed.

Relating the mms option, I do not use it a lot, but when I get my operator monthly feed on the phone again (low on cash at the moment :rolleyes:) will try to send one an see how it goes. Will report back here.

Take care man.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all many thanks to all those people who have made it possible to run CM10 on our mobiles - Kabaldan most importantly for developing CM10 and skrilax for the nightly builds. Also all developers like zepellinrox, fufu for the various applications, scripts and tweaks.

Since other users asked for a list of tweaks/modifications etc. I prepared this post.

The things I am proposing below are working for me, they might not work or be suitable to you and the way you use your device. I am just sharing my experiences.

Before installation:
    - Fast micro sdhc card (4K random writes at 2 MB/s)
    - 1 Ext 3 partition of 950 MB
    - 1 Swap Partition of 950 MB
    - Fufu open recovery minimod v.0.23
    - Wipe all

After installation
    - Install miui cam app from the link below. The first time camera is run, it asks for default application just choose the miui
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1687161&d=1359486822
    - Install Quickpic. The first time gallery is run, it asks for default application, just choose quickpic.
    - If there is a trouble with alarms of the default clock application (app freezing after choosing alarms) just erase cache of the app.
    - Install FTL Launcher Lite (free mode is ok – no need for the paid one).
    - Activate swap. I am using 98swapon script by fufu and I activate the whole of the available swap on my card. With the settings I use after a couple of days it usually stays below 100 MB. If you want experiment with fixed 64 MB, 80 MB or 128 MB.
    - Install script manager from market
    - Download the latest zeppelinrox script and the supercharger starter kit
    From the starter kit install only sqlite3+zipalign_installer_v6.sh
    Run the supercharger script and install it and activate what you want (I have activated everything and use 512 MB multitasking settings)
    After that you will achieve 50% activation of the script.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18703418&postcount=5021
    - Download Ultimate Jar Power Tools windows version. In order to install it you need to activate usb debugging and run the application as administrator from the pc. I think you also need Motorola drivers so that the phone is recognized by the pc. I activate everything.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1914159
    - I install autostarts, this is a program with which you can disable startup items. It is a paid app, I have not searched if there is a free alternative. I disable almost all non-system apps that I do not want running after boot and some system ones with great care like maps.
    - I disable hardware acceleration for most apps I usually run. I have found this makes things a bit faster. This is because we are running with a CM9 graphics driver (maybe this is not the only reason, please correct me).
    - After installing about 50 apps I have some trouble with play store. The app downloads but never installs. I have to exit play store, open a couple of apps that need much memory (e.g. navigation software, browsers etc.). After that I fire up play store again and the app starts installing. Also it has happened with some big apps in size (above 20 MB) that it says no free space is available. After clearing the cache of apps like web browsers, skype, navigation software, etc. the installation is possible.
    - In order to make vibration stick even after reboot, it must be activated in profile settings. If the choice is made through the drawer it is lost after a reboot.

Most probably I have forgotten something; I will add it later on…
    950MB for swap? Really? Too big.

Improve speed by setting all (3; windows, scale and speed) animations to disabled in Dev Options.
    Uninstall Gallery and Trebuchet when you have installed an other app (QuickPic, FLT or Lightning Launcher) same for the Cam App.

I will keep this reply updated with all infos I can remember.
    When the signal is good the bars are clearer?!

Yes, they are almost white, it's very easy to distinguish them. But when data is activated and working well, they turn blue.

De nada :)! You're welcome.
    Also yesterday I installed viber and experienced huge battery drain, about 10-10% per hour. Even though I disabled everything through autostarts it kept popping up in running apps list and I guess it constantly tried to connect to no avail (since I activate wifi or 3G only when I want to log on to the internet). The new battery I have with moderate use goes up to 2 days, so imagine my shock of going down to almost in a couple of hours with screen off during the night...
    Just fyi: Galaxy Nexus won't get official 4.4 because it's SoC was manufactured by Texas Instruments and they stopped making SoCs and drivers. But since 4.4 uses newer OpenGL these new drivers are required to make a stable version.
    And Milestones also have TI SoCs...