[Q] Sound quality and volume of the speakers on the Robin - anyone?

Search This thread

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I have a chance to get a brand new Nextbit Robin (never opened) for $40 and I'm really leaning towards getting it, it's the black model (my preference) - no it's not a sale online someplace, it's one-shot purchase from a friend that won it in a contest and never even bothered to open it.

My question is: can anyone comment on the sound quality as well as the actual volume from the speakers on the Robin? I mean, I just recently owned a Moto X Pure and that had some damned nice sounding dual front speakers, similar to the Nexus 6 (not the Huawei 6p, I mean the older Motorola Nexus 6) and so while I'm guessing they're not anything like the Moto X Pure in terms of loudness (they were quite loud, surprisingly), I'd still like to hear from anyone that can offer their opinion on those two aspects.

99.999% chance I'm gonna grab the Robin because at this price it'll be a cool thing to own - I wanted to get one when they first came out and as it so often happens I decide at some point to pass on devices when they first come out because of pricing then pick 'em up at a later time used more often than not.

In this instance, it's a never before used still in the shrink wrapped box for $40 and that's a tough deal to pass up even considering that the cloud-based storage features are now long dead. It would have been neat if someone had discovered a method to go into the stock firmware/ROM and found a way to alter the server information so we could literally host our own cloud storage solution.

I have to wonder if such a thing would be possible, that could work out pretty great to be able to use your own home storage setup as your own "personal cloud" with that device and keep the stock ROM.

I see there is a healthy community at work with even Oreo support nowadays, so I'm excited to have a new toy to play with for sure. But even so, if someone could offer some idea of the sound quality and volume compared to some other devices - like the Moto X Pure - I'd appreciate it.

I've seen a bunch of videos doing minor simplistic reviews of the Robin but nobody focused on the actual sound quality or volume, they just say it has dual front speakers and then they move on from it.

Anyway, thanks for any responses, and have fun, always..

NotAPerso

Apr 13, 2018
Quite the steal, definitely worth at that price.
I can comfortably listen to YouTube in an environment with some noise. Quality is decent enough.

As long as you know how to flash custom ROMs and the like you'll have fun with this phone. My only real complaint is the battery life which is unfortunately not very good.

boxes

Sep 10, 2009
Sound quality out of the speakers is very good, good enough to play music while im working outside and don't have a speaker. The audio quality out of the headphone jack is superb. I previously had an LG G2, which has a Wolfson DAC. The Robin is just as good as the g2, with a bit more loudness.