FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT: This tutorial is outdated. We have a massive problem with the touchscreen

Hi to all!
I am the owner of an Archos 101 and I thought, why not port Honeycomb?
So I've used the SDK images that Google published and I've booted Honeycomb on the Archos 101. But anything works
Some screens http://twitter.com/licuende/statuses/36070541160878081
As I said, anything works. The system blocks and you can't make anything. The biggest problem is that ADB isn't working neither, so I can't debug the problems. I have tried a lot of things in the init.rc without success.
So I claim your help, Android veterans!

Here the steps for having Honeycomb on the Archos 101 (would be the same for other gen8 devices):
  1. Install UrukDroid 0.6
  2. Download http://megaupload.com/?d=UBC0FFZ1 and place it on /tmp
  3. Booting into stock Android, mount SD and run these commands (replace /dev/sdc2 and /feb/sdc3 with the second and third partition of your SD card):
    • # cd /tmp
    • # mkdir sdcard
    • # mount /dev/sdc2 sdcard
    • # mkdir honeycomb
    • # cd honeycomb
    • # unzip ../honeycomb.zip
    • # cp -rf sdkramdisk/* ../sdcard
    • # cp -rf sdksystem/* ../sdcard/system
    • # umount ../sdcard
    • # cd ..
    • # mount /dec/sdc3 sdcard
    • # rm -rf sdcard/*/*
    • # umount sdcard
  4. Reboot and boot the Developer Edition
  5. Wait some time and... you'll get the unlock screen of Honeycomb!

I am a novice in Android ROMs so help is welcomed.

Thanks to deeper-blue (XDA) and @dm8tbr (OpenAOS) for helping me and $auron for UrukDroid

EDIT: Google will not release Honeycomb source code until Ice Cream release at the end of the year. That isn't good :(
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to luisivan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift luisivan Ad-Free
13th February 2011, 03:18 PM |#2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Well, even though I have absolutely 0 (i.e. none) dev skills, I thank you for getting the ball started on this much needed port.

Maybe this should be put in the Dev section though. You might get more responses from people who know what they're talking about instead of lookers-on like me. :P
13th February 2011, 03:39 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Oviedo, Asturias, España
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Yeah it's true but I cannot write in the development forum due to permissions problem (I have less than 10 posts or something similar ). If an admin can move it..
13th February 2011, 04:45 PM |#4  
Arizona
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Are you running stock kernel with it or one or custom? I watched some of the nook videos and it looks like they were just using some custom kernels but nothing specific.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to LifTeD_JK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LifTeD_JK Ad-Free
13th February 2011, 04:50 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 466

More
Can you post a picture of the device information screen showing Honeycomb? I don't mean to be a skeptic, but you can download a Honeycomb lock screen for Froyo and below Android.
13th February 2011, 04:57 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

Donate to Me
More
I am running the stock UrukDroid kernel.
I cannot shown more screens because the system crashes and I think the touchscreen is not working. But you can test it, simply see the instructions and you'll get a beautiful locked Honeycomb Only works the lockscreen clock and the shutdown dialog that don't require touchscreen.
If we get ADB working all the porting will be easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to luisivan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift luisivan Ad-Free
13th February 2011, 06:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Respect!

It is so good to see that developers are working on it

Good luck porting.
13th February 2011, 07:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 466

More
I wish you the best. If I knew what I was doing I would help, but I’m fairly inept at the whole ROM thing. I can troubleshoot and beta test, but that is about it.
13th February 2011, 08:45 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

Donate to Me
More
After a lot of time talking with Archos gurus at the OpenAOS IRC channel I think the problem is in the init binary. We haven't the Honeycomb source code so we'll have to mix the Honeycomb init binary with the UrukDroid binary. Any help is appreciated
13th February 2011, 11:24 PM |#10  
Flag Walsall
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Great work! its good news that someone is trying to port this to our devices and as someone stated earlier it will probably need a custom kernel to be able to run. would it be possible to download the nooks working kernel and patch it by applying archos's drivers for say filesystem, battery, touchscreen etc
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
archos, honeycomb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)