Chromecast connected to wifi but cannot access internet

Search This thread

joesatri

Jun 19, 2009
Hi All

Got my chromecast to connect to the router, it even says "ready to cast".

However, on the TV screen it says: Chromecast connected to wifi but cannot access internet.

My router is a TP-LINK N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, Model No. TL-WDR3600

Firmware Version: 3.13.31 Build 130320 Rel.55761n
Hardware Version: WDR3600 v1 00000000

For Wifi the settings are:
Wireless 2.4GHz
Wireless Radio: Enable
Name (SSID): Internet5A_2.4GHz
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel: Auto (Current channel 1)
Channel Width: Automatic
WDS Status: Disable

I connect to internet using PPPoE

Router is right behind the TV, where the chromecast is.

AP Isolation is disabled

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!
I have already gone through troubleshooting, restarting router / chormecast, factory defaults for router / chromecast..etc
Called Google, they had me to it all over again, still the same thing.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Hi All

However, on the TV screen it says: Chromecast connected to wifi but cannot access internet.

Well first question...Can you stream Media to it? If your using aVia you shouldn't need internet.

Check Router settings make sure you don't have something like Mac Filtering on (although I would think it would not connect at all if that was the case)
Also check to see if you have Internet Access limited for any Mac Addresses.

Make sure UPnP is enabled on the router.

I looked at the router compat chart and all of the TP-Link routers appear to be compatible so if it is therouter it will be some setting you changed from the default.

Also check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your router.

I should point out though that Google is notorious for lying about Internet access and in many cases use a successful connect to Google Services as the indicator. If thats the case here then it may very well have Internet access but couldn't connect to Google!

We know Google thinks it is the internet but it isn't the entire internet! LOL

Almost forgot...If your router connect via PPPOE make sure to set it to not expire and stay always on.
If you have it set to connect when needed then the CCast may get a No Net access response while the router is connecting.

Last edited:
Reactions: joesatri

joesatri

Jun 19, 2009
Can't stream media to it. Tried it with Avia, (chromecast inapp purchased).

Mac filtering not enabled

UPnP is enabled

There is a firmware update that I will try later today and reply with the results.

Thanks for your support!

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010

UPnP is enabled

There is a firmware update that I will try later today and reply with the results.
If the firmware update doesn't fix things, look for additional options related to Multicast, IPv6 and IGMP

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch

UPnP is enabled

Thanks for your support!

Definitely check your PPPOE Settings to make sure it is always on...
If not then you aren't always connected to the Internet and CCast may only check status on initial connection.

Inability to cast at all says to me that something else in your router config is amiss but It's possible that since it can't get to the Net that it can't retrieve the Whitelist which would prevent casting from anything.

joesatri

Jun 19, 2009
Tried all of the above. Still no joy. Updated firmware to latest, etc..

IGMP Proxy: Disabled
This text is just under the IGMP Proxy setting, in RED:
IGMP(Internet Group Management Protocol) works for IPTV multicast stream.
The device supports both IGMP proxy with enabled/disabled option and IGMP snooping.

Enable AP Isolation - Unchecked

IPv6 - disabled

Thinking of giving up on this..

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Can you successfully ping Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 from another device connected wirelessly to the same router?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010

The device supports both IGMP proxy with enabled/disabled option and IGMP snooping.

IPv6 - disabled

Try enabling IPv6.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Enabled IPv6, but does not show it on router page.
Also, I can ping Google DNS.
Does not show it as in... the router still shows the option as disabled, or something else?

Pretty much all the option types that Google mentions for the various routers in their router known issues page, it's worth trying on and off, if your router supports it, and only if you are having trouble. It's more combinations, but worth a shot.

Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

joesatri

Jun 19, 2009
Thank you all for your help!

I disabled parental control (on ISP side), and it worked!

Sorry for all the trouble!

Swoubi

Feb 18, 2019
Thanks for your help. For me it was pppoe set to Connect auto, changed to manual 0 - never disconnect works like a charm. (TP-LINK W9960)

sunfizu9

May 20, 2019
Guys i m having same problem and till not resolved.. my smart tv not work chromcast.. but except it working ok like youtubr and other apps, steam too. only chromecast and wireless displays not work.. for last 5 month i m fightin with xiaomi india..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

Well first question...Can you stream Media to it? If your using aVia you shouldn't need internet.

Check Router settings make sure you don't have something like Mac Filtering on (although I would think it would not connect at all if that was the case)
    Also check to see if you have Internet Access limited for any Mac Addresses.

Make sure UPnP is enabled on the router.

I looked at the router compat chart and all of the TP-Link routers appear to be compatible so if it is therouter it will be some setting you changed from the default.

Also check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your router.

I should point out though that Google is notorious for lying about Internet access and in many cases use a successful connect to Google Services as the indicator. If thats the case here then it may very well have Internet access but couldn't connect to Google!

We know Google thinks it is the internet but it isn't the entire internet! LOL

Almost forgot...If your router connect via PPPOE make sure to set it to not expire and stay always on.
    If you have it set to connect when needed then the CCast may get a No Net access response while the router is connecting.

UPnP is enabled

If the firmware update doesn't fix things, look for additional options related to Multicast, IPv6 and IGMP

UPnP is enabled

Thanks for your support!

Definitely check your PPPOE Settings to make sure it is always on...
    If not then you aren't always connected to the Internet and CCast may only check status on initial connection.

Inability to cast at all says to me that something else in your router config is amiss but It's possible that since it can't get to the Net that it can't retrieve the Whitelist which would prevent casting from anything.
    Can you successfully ping Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 from another device connected wirelessly to the same router?

IPv6 - disabled

Try enabling IPv6.