Windows 8 x64 drivers for Nexus 7

Search This thread

Abhitha

Sep 23, 2012
Toronto
I got it to work :)

Hi guys, I read this thread, but some research led me to ASUS' device support page where they have adb driver package for Nexus 7, (I can't post links cuz I'm still new here :( )

Simply download the drivers and extract them, then once you plug in your N7, navigate to device manager and under 'Other devices' you should see a Nexus 7 with a yellow triangle. Right-Click and select Update Driver Software, and then browse for the folder where you extracted the drivers, and Win 8 should take care of the rest. Just ran a full driver test with the Nexus Toolkit, and it passed perfectly ;)

Good Luck! :victory:

nba1341

Feb 13, 2011
San Bernardino, California
Hi guys, I read this thread, but some research led me to ASUS' device support page where they have adb driver package for Nexus 7, (I can't post links cuz I'm still new here :( )

Simply download the drivers and extract them, then once you plug in your N7, navigate to device manager and under 'Other devices' you should see a Nexus 7 with a yellow triangle. Right-Click and select Update Driver Software, and then browse for the folder where you extracted the drivers, and Win 8 should take care of the rest. Just ran a full driver test with the Nexus Toolkit, and it passed perfectly ;)

Thank you drivers worked. Took over a minute to install now device shows up under adb

krenaud

Jan 25, 2011
Unfortunately... this is incorrect. They work for win7 x64 but not for windows 8. I already tried that. It worked for the wife's Nexus but not for the nexus 7. That is why i posted. I would keep getting hash was corrupt error with those drivers.

There are no differences in the driver model between W7 and W8 so all drivers should work and I have no problems whatever with my N7 in W8 Pro x64. I already had the Android SDK installed, so it was plug and play when I connected my N7.

Java and W8 is a problem if you are using a non-admin account. Many applications try to access Java in \Windows\System32, but W8 hides Java*.exe for non-admin users.

The solution is going into Explorer and changing the View-settings and unclick "Hide system files" or whatever it may be called in English.

irongamer

Nov 5, 2012
Still can't access my N7 on Windows 8 :< Nothing seems to work

I am also running Windows 8 64bit. I downloaded the driver from this link and Windows 8 finally recognized my Nexus 7.
Because xda-developers hates new users I can't give you the link directly. (Sorry I don't "understand")

Search and replace * with .
Go to: www*asus*com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#download

Select Others from the OS drop down list.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2012
Greensboro
This allowed Windows 8 to see my device fine, until I tried to go into Recovery mode and use the adb sideload option. There is a device, Nexus, which I cannot install drivers for. The drivers that were downloaded from ASUS apparently do not include the drivers for this device.

veroby

Aug 24, 2012
London
I have tried everything but still no joy. Those of use that claim to have it working with windows 8 are on another planet. The drivers do not exist.
You are able to see connection via usb but are unable to see drive which makes useless. Wrugs root kit does not complete its agenda and gets stuck at boot into bootloader command. Not calling yous'e fibbers or anything but I have tried everything in this thread and nothing has done the job.

Unless someone can give a detailed description I will have to believe what the internet is telling us and there are no drivers for the nexus 7 and windows 8 as of yet. Assus and google are playing a game....
Which makes advice on here just kiddies given us the run around.

auzap

Sep 21, 2012
Sydney

Work fine for me on Win 8 pro. thanks

veroby

Aug 24, 2012
London
Work fine for me on Win 8 pro. thanks
I plug my n 7 in and it just shows up as android phone in the device manager. To which if I up date the drivers using the directory to wrugs root kit or drivers from assus I get the same answer. Drivers are up to date. Are you having a laugh because seriously if you Google nexus7 drivers you will find that there are no drivers for nexus7 and w8.

Update: Should mention I am an idiot but have managed to get the drivers and adb to work. I think installing sdk tools before the installation of new drivers from Nexus Root Toolkit is what has gone wrong for me. Here's what I did to start afresh.
Deleted sdk's using sdk manager,
deleted N7 existing drivers.
Plugged device back in and under nexus 7 in the device manager I updated drivers manually for the third time using the directory to Wugs root toolkit.
Now i re-installed sdk's from sdk manager and "BOOM" everything works. ADB commands and I finally can now see Nexus 7 as a drive in explorer.
I think an integral part of the process is to disable the Driver Signature Enforcement via these commands.
From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ‘More PC Settings’.
Click ‘General’.
Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
Wait a bit.
Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
Click ‘Advanced Options’
Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
Click Restart.
???
Profit!

Think something went wrong in previous installation when I had installed sdk's tools firstly and followed by updating the N7 drivers. This way did not work but once I reversed the order I got a result. Which brings me to those I doubt earlier and my apologies...... Yeapee it works.

Last edited:

jyny

Sep 1, 2008
i still dont get it , i have now installed my n7 as ADB device, but i still cannot access files of my N7 , so whats the point install it as adb ?

doctapeppa

Jun 6, 2010
I had a hard time as well on the same setup, Windows 8 64 bit. Was finally able to get the drivers installed by using the nexus root toolkit and following the steps for complete driver removal and installation of the RAW driver. Now my machine recognizes my nexus 4 and 7 perfectly in every mode including adb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

irongamer

Nov 5, 2012
i still dont get it , i have now installed my n7 as ADB device, but i still cannot access files of my N7 , so whats the point install it as adb ?

If you have managed to install the ADB Interface in device manager and you are still having problems try enabling "USB Debugging" from the Nexus 7 developer options. If you need help enabling developer options: www*androidcentral*com/how-enable-developer-settings-android-42

*Sigh* I'll apologize for the XDA forums not allowing helpful individuals to be helpful. Please replace the * in the url to . in the above url.

I had turned off USB Debugging and forgot. I then tried to transfer some files from Win8 to my N7. The N7 failed to show up at all. After checking to make sure I still have the ADB driver installed I checked my developer options on the N7, USB Debugging was turned off. As soon as I enabled it the device showed up in Win8.

fuchiball

Feb 10, 2011
So, i did this:

• Found a random ACER ADB Interface
  • Checked the driver
  • Did a driver rollback

Done

PS: This forum says i'm a new user, so the images cant be linked, follow this hard link to see them imgur(DOT)com/a/jwADa, sorry for this inconvenient.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got it to work :)

I am also running Windows 8 64bit. I downloaded the driver from this link and Windows 8 finally recognized my Nexus 7.
    Because xda-developers hates new users I can't give you the link directly. (Sorry I don't "understand")

Search and replace * with .
    Go to: www*asus*com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#download

Select Others from the OS drop down list.
    D
    Deleted member 4488333
    I was having trouble with the drivers I used for my N7 in Win8 until I uses WugFresh's Root Toolkit to uninstall the old ones and reinstall new ones. He takes you step-by-step, so it's really a no-brainer.