[MOD][APK+SCRIPT+ZIP] Enable Init.d for Any Phones w/o Need of Custom Kernels!!!

Search This thread
Apr 14, 2008
as written the script leaves /system mounted as read only after reboot. This is good, you don;t want /system to get trashed, but you may want to add instructions on how to modify the contents of the init.d directory, to either remove scripts or add your own scripts/tweaks. I would not be surprised if it stumps so users.
This is especially true since some custom ROM implementations have an init.d script that then calls a script in /data/local (called userinit.sh I think) which is mounted as writable, so instructions for other ROMS will not mention remounting as read/write first as they tell you to modify this userinit.sh instead.

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
Hey Ryu, I read thru all 11 pages of your thread and did not come across a situation like mine. Here goes :

Firstly my phone is a Motorola Atrix 2 MB865 Asia Retail (Searet rom) which got converted in to a ME865 (CH_HKG - Chinese Hongkong retail) stock rom (odexed) after installing a official l(unofficial) leak Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Now this rom is called leak 1 & further in particular it was rooted using a swapper method as per this - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093923 thread (maybe you wanna have a look at the script however note I installed the version which is updated in OP which excludes BusyBox install)
I also have installed ROM Toolbox Pro (JRummy) but instead of his BusyBox I installed one by Stericson (pro ver). While reading through a thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37847186#post37847186 , I came across a issue of my BB install (would appreciate if you are able to read my posts in there else this would get very long & would also be good for other users to know of not to tinker with BusyBox once installed)

I installed your apk, installed it & initially after activating, rebooting & verifying I got message I may not have init.d support & tried again but no luck. Then went to your troubleshooting section and here all I did was set proper file permissions and now when I clicked verify I got message you have init.d support but the puzzling part is I still do not see /data/test.log still. Also the code that needs to be there as per your code in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is different (attached herein but there is no busybox mentioned before run-parts.). What do you think is the issue here though I get message & presume I do have init.d support?

Okay, now for everyone that is having problems getting this to work. When you get the busybox app from the market and run it, it will ask you what version of busybox you want to install, make sure you use version busybox 1.17.2 and install it to system/xbin. Busybox 1.17.2 is the only version that would work for me after a number of failed attempts to get init.d support. But now it works flawlessly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Okay, now for everyone that is having problems getting this to work. When you get the busybox app from the market and run it, it will ask you what version of busybox you want to install, make sure you use version busybox 1.17.2 and install it to system/xbin. Busybox 1.17.2 is the only version that would work for me after a number of failed attempts to get init.d support. But now it works flawlessly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Noted but my extremely important highlight to all non aware members is that once BusyBox has been installed, do not uninstall it ever. It is better to start afresh after flashing your firmware fxz file.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Hmm...is your busybox functional?the install-recovery.sh is the stock one and not modified...hmm...try to delete it or move it else where, then run the app again...FYI, busybox works regardless you install it in /system/bin or /system/xbin...I had two versions of busybox installed at the same time, one in /system/bin and /system/xbin...

Ryu - Whilst I noted all you mentioned just to reiterate I do have init.d support which is confirmed when I click verify tab in your app even today. I posted my query because I do not see /data/test.log still. Also the code that needs to be there as per your code in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is different but there is no busybox mentioned before run-parts.) but the runparts do exist as checked as part of your troubleshooting post.

Now how do I verify if my Busybox is functional? The install-recovery.sh is modified isn't it? (as a matter of fact it shows your name as well which is not part of your "add these lines" code. What is the exact impact in specifics if I delete orcmove this file? Wont it cause other issues then? I highlighted this issue as I have init.d support using your app but at the same time the test.log file does not exist. Please help.

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
You still don't get it, don't you? The app checks for the necessary files, if they are all present then it will report as positive...my script adds lines to install-recovery.sh...But if it is too complex like the one you gave me, errors will occur...so that's why I asked you to delete the one you attached and run the app again to create a new install-recovery.sh...if install-recovery is called by init.rc of your current ROM, then only it will work...if not, try the script manager trick...install-recovery.sh is not very important as it flashes back stock recovery, which it's not desirable when you are rooted and running a stock recovery...if you still can't get it to work or get what I mean, just flash a custom kernel...run-parts is just a busybox component to excecute a bunch of scripts in a directory...it can also exist as a separate binary...

RAD7

May 19, 2012
You still don't get it, don't you? The app checks for the necessary files, if they are all present then it will report as positive...my script adds lines to install-recovery.sh...But if it is too complex like the one you gave me, errors will occur...so that's why I asked you to delete the one you attached and run the app again to create a new install-recovery.sh...if install-recovery is called by init.rc of your current ROM, then only it will work...if not, try the script manager trick...install-recovery.sh is not very important as it flashes back stock recovery, which it's not desirable when you are rooted and running a stock recovery...if you still can't get it to work or get what I mean, just flash a custom kernel...run-parts is just a busybox component to excecute a bunch of scripts in a directory...it can also exist as a separate binary...

As it was not mentioned in trouble shooting points separate post, that if the install-recovery.sh is too complex (as in my phone) errors may occur by the script,unaware of this I posted my query. What I now u/s & I may be wrong, is though the app verify tab shows I have init.d support, but since I do not see test.log file I actually do not have init.d support. Could you advise how can I verify if my current stock ROM init.rc calls the install-recovery.sh, if I know this I can then decide whether if I need to try the script manager based install. Ideally I'd appreciate steps that doesn't involve me changing my stock ROM and kernel. For my phone the only way we can boot in to CWMR is through an GUI app called "Atrix 2 Bootstrapper" else stock recovery is the only option on this phone (just informing if by knowing this you'd recommend me not to delete or move my current install-recovery.sh). Request your patience with additional questions as do not want to hastily act and cause any issues for myself. Also I have read your entire thread with all posts and have gone through troubleshooting thread and only then asking questions.

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
This is because your case is rare and actually there's this one guy who attached a similar install-recovery.sh as yours...and after deleting it and a re-run of the app, init.d works for him as his init.rc has install-recovery.sh called...to check, just browse through your /init.rc file and search for "install-recovery"...if it's there, then it will work theoretically (which should be there, I'm 90% sure)...just make sure that your install-recovery.sh looks something like this without extra lines:
Code:
 #!/system/bin/sh
# Ryuinferno @ XDA 2012
# Init.d support
run-parts /system/etc/init.d/

Remember to leave a space below the last line...

*Note: I have not used your device before, so I'm not sure whether will anything happen if you use this hack for init.d...but maybe, just maybe your CWM might be permanent as install-recovery.sh was meant to restore stock recovery after every reboot...

Last edited:
Reactions: RAD7

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Attachments for PM sent

Attachments for PM sent to keep thread clean. Please help.

killed

Oct 8, 2010
The phone name LG Prada 3.0 P940 with stock ROM is working with .apk (not test within flash via recovery CWM)

cegrade

Aug 7, 2012
Hong Kong
I really don';t know why I coudln't get it work :'(
I installed busybox and have all applets(they showed green and should be installed)
I didn't choose Smart install
Stock rooted 2.3.6, didn't add script in build.prop, but have deleted some stock apps

I am thinking that have I really get busybox installed because when I choose normal install, after a while, it reboot, but after reboot and it says it is installed.

I havce tried busybox installer app but it is failed to install

Last edited:

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
Yup...;)

I really don';t know why I coudln't get it work :'(
I installed busybox and have all applets(they showed green and should be installed)
I didn't choose Smart install
Stock rooted 2.3.6, didn't add script in build.prop, but have deleted some stock apps

I am thinking that have I really get busybox installed because when I choose normal install, after a while, it reboot, but after reboot and it says it is installed.

I havce tried busybox installer app but it is failed to install

Please check your /init.rc file and see whether there a "install-recovery" phrase...if yes, it should work if you have busybox; if not, just use the script manager trick...

Last edited:
Reactions: cegrade

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Specific to Atrix 2

This is because your case is rare and actually there's this one guy who attached a similar install-recovery.sh as yours...and after deleting it and a re-run of the app, init.d works for him as his init.rc has install-recovery.sh called...to check, just browse through your /init.rc file and search for "install-recovery"...if it's there, then it will work theoretically (which should be there, I'm 90% sure)...just make sure that your install-recovery.sh looks something like this without extra lines:
Code:
 #!/system/bin/sh
# Ryuinferno @ XDA 2012
# Init.d support
run-parts /system/etc/init.d/

Remember to leave a space below the last line...

*Note: I have not used your device before, so I'm not sure whether will anything happen if you use this hack for init.d...but maybe, just maybe your CWM might be permanent as install-recovery.sh was meant to restore stock recovery after every reboot...

Specific to Atrix 2 (if you read my few posts below) I deleted my installrecovery.sh & ran Ryu's apk again as per his advice and I now have init.d.

k3v0

Nov 6, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Works well on my stock Galaxy Note 2. I am able to utilize init.d support, required to stop leaks in AFWall+, and maintain "normal" status, required to use my samsung allshare cast hub. A stock kernel with init.d support added caused the status to change to modified and allshare to fail to connect, so this is a great workaround.

Sent from my GN2 using Tapatalk 2

NAZUnlimited

Oct 24, 2011
Uni-init v1.0.apk works on Huawei U8666E-1 (Huawei Ascend Y201 Pro) with full stock ( recovery, kernel and rom )
Tx

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** NOT Android 4.3 compatible!!! Term-init is recommended for now!!!

**Note...this is only for those who do not have init.d support...if you are using custom kernels (cyanogen mod original kernel etc.) that already supports init.d, you shouldn't run this...:)...but if you accidentally ran this, it is ok...won't mess up anything...:D

2OgMJ.png
    v1.0
    init.d support through an app!!!​

What is init.d:
    the_scotsman (Moderator Liaison Admin / Moderator Committee / XDA News Writer) said:
    Init.d plays an important role in the world of Android development and customization It allows users to install scripts and mods to be run at boot—everything from battery tweaks to performance tweaks. It essentially opens the door to a world of mods only possible through the Init.d process, which in turn is usually only available on custom kernels.

But how? :confused:
    Concept:
    I have recently learnt some linux scripting and was searching for a method to enable init.d scripts support for my phone which has a stock kernel. Inspired by this thread by iridaki, I finally managed to get init.d working in my phone!!! :D However, I thought of the other users who still do not have a proper custom recovery...how are they gonna flash zip packages? And if it has to be done manually, it requires a lot of typing, changing file permissions etc....a very tedious process...

Therefore, I've decided to come up with a script to automate this process!!! *Drum rolls*...lol

BUT now, with the aid of Androguide.fr (creator of Pimp My ROM), we managed to integrate the script into an app to save the hassle of typing commands in terminal emulator! With just a button click, the commands will be carried out! With just a button click, the app will verify whether is there init.d support or not! :D

Do I have init.d support?:
    Well, here is a way to test:
    1. Download the file from here: View attachment 1612958
    2. Extract the file, you will get a file named 00test. DO NOT flash!
    3. Paste it into /etc/init.d. If there is no init.d folder, most probably you DO NOT have init.d support. However, if you still wanna try, just create the folder named "init.d"
    4. Change the permissions of the init.d folder and 00test into rwxrwxrwx.
    5. Reboot.
    6. If you see a file named Test.log in /data, you have init.d support. If not, you will have to run Uni-init, Term-init or Zip-init. ;)

Features:
    - Utilises install-recovery.sh (if your kernel supports that, but of course, but most do...:)) to enable init.d scripts (busybox run-parts required)
    - Will add lines in install-recovery.sh if it already exists (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't
    - Creates the init.d folder with correct permissions
    - Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
    - Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists
    - Deletes duplicate files and lines to ensure the least of errors

Requirements:
    - a rooted phone of course...:p

- busybox with required applets (especially run-parts), if not sure what is this, just install this by Stericson: Link and please reboot after installing before running this script...:)...use "normal install" method, don't use "smart install"...

Instructions:
    1. Download the apk.
    2. Install the apk like any normal app.
    3. Launch the app.
    4. The rest are pretty self-explanatory...;)
    5. You can uninstall the app after that...

Screenshots:
    83qRd.png
    rfpyz.png

**To check whether init.d is really working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have a WORKING init.d support! :)

Download:
    If you have already read all the instructions and understand them, then click here to download:

Credits:
    Thanks to:
    Androguide.fr for the android app base! :D

Donators (big thank you! :)):
    @bigknowz

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used the app and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details if possible...:)

Please don't mirror / modify my work, ask for permissions first...;)
    **UPDATE: v3 is out now! Android 4.3 compatible!

**Term-init is also used in Droid Manager!!!**

**Featured in the XDA News Portal: Init.d Support for Any Rooted Phone (Thanks to the_scotsman!)

Hi guys...as stated in the title above, I have created a script to be ran in terminal emulator so that it will enable the support of init.d scripts!!! :D

**Note...this is only for those who do not have init.d support...if you are using custom kernels (cyanogen mod original kernel etc.) that already supports init.d, you shouldn't run this...:)...but if you accidentally ran this, it is ok...won't mess up anything...:D

WdW7A.png

init.d support through terminal emulator!!!​

What is init.d:
    the_scotsman (Moderator Liaison Admin / Moderator Committee / XDA News Writer) said:
    Init.d plays an important role in the world of Android development and customization It allows users to install scripts and mods to be run at boot—everything from battery tweaks to performance tweaks. It essentially opens the door to a world of mods only possible through the Init.d process, which in turn is usually only available on custom kernels.

But how? :confused:
    Concept:
    I have recently learnt some linux scripting and was searching for a method to enable init.d scripts support for my phone which has a stock kernel. Inspired by this thread by iridaki, I finally managed to get init.d working in my phone!!! :D However, I thought of the other users who still do not have a proper custom recovery...how are they gonna flash zip packages? And if it has to be done manually, it requires a lot of typing, changing file permissions etc....a very tedious process...

Therefore, I've decided to come up with a script to automate this process!!! *Drum rolls*...lol

1. Download the file from here: View attachment test_initd.zip
    3. Paste it into /etc/init.d. If there is no init.d folder, most probably you DO NOT have init.d support. However, if you still wanna try, just create the folder named "init.d"
    5. Reboot.
    6. If you see a file named Test.log in /data, you have init.d support. If not, you will have to run Uni-init, Term-init or Zip-init. ;)

Features:
    - Auto checks for required files [v2]
    - Utilises install-recovery.sh (if your kernel supports that, but of course, but most do...:)) to enable init.d scripts (busybox run-parts required)
    - Will move install-recovery.sh to install-recovery-2.sh if it already exists and call it from the main install-recovery.sh (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't [v3]
    - If Superuser is using install-recovery.sh, will use install-recovery-2.sh instead [v3]
    - Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution [v2]), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
    - Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists. This is for utilising a similar method to enabling init.d in AOSP ROMs

Requirements:

- busybox with required applets (especially run-parts), if not sure what is this, just install this by Stericson: Link and please reboot after installing before running this script...:)...use "normal install" method, don't use "smart install"...

- terminal emulator such as this: Link

Instructions:
    1. Download the file.
    2. Place it in the root of your sdcard directory.
    3. Launch terminal emulator.
    4. Type: su
    5. Grant SuperUser access if prompted
    6. Type: sh /sdcard/term-init.sh
    7. The script will run and follow the instructions! :D As simple as that...

**To check whether init.d is working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have init.d support! :)

Download:
    If you have already read all the instructions and understand them, then click here to download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my script and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Source code & changelog: https://github.com/Ryuinferno/Term-init
    ** NOT Android 4.3 compatible!!! Term-init is recommended for now!!!

As Term-init does not work for certain people, I have came up with a CWM flashable zip:

kKjNl.png

init.d support through CWM!!!

What is init.d:

1. Download the file from here: test_initd.zip
    5. Reboot.

Features:
    - Will add lines in install-recovery.sh if it already exists (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't
    - Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing, another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
    - Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists
    - Deletes duplicate files and lines to ensure the least of errors

Requirements:

- a working CWM custom recovery

Instructions:
    1. Download the file.
    2. Flash zip-init.zip thorough CWM.
    3. Reboot and you are done! :D

**If you get a status 0 error in CWM, please replace the update-binary in zip-init.zip with a working update-binary of your phone (just extract it from any CWM zip meant for your phone)...:)

**To check whether init.d is working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have init.d support! :)

Download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my mod and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting:
    **CWM might warn something about disable recovery flash when using this mod, it is just a false positive, please DO NOT select yes or else it won't work anymore**

If you have already applied the script but there is no /data/Test.log, please refer the steps below:
    1. Check whether have you installed busybox properly, especially run-parts. REBOOT after installing, then only apply this script.
    2. If you are using the busybox installer by Stericson, please use "normal installation method", NOT "smart installation method".
    3. Check whether are these files present with the correct permissions (please change if the permissions are wrong):
    - /system/bin/sysint (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: shell (2000)]
    - /system/etc/init.d (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/init.d/00test (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    -/system/etc/init.d/08setperm (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)] (may or may not be present)
    4. Check whether you have run-parts installed. Go to /system/xbin, you should be able to find a fine named "run-parts"
    5. Check whether you have these lines in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (if not, please add them in manually (using Root Explorer or keep the EOL in Unix format...Google about it), remember to leave an EMPTY line at the end of the file)
    Code:
     # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
    6. If all the above are still not helping, please download this: run-parts.zip and extract it (DO NOT flash it). Place the file named "run-parts" in /system/xbin. Change permissions to rwxrwxrwx, owner to root (o) and group to shell (2000). Reboot and check /data again.
    7. Still fails? Check your /init.rc for any lines containing "install-recovery"...if there are none, this method won't work...so use the Script Manager method.
    8. Use this as a last resort: Download Script Manager from Play Store: Link. Then navigate to /etc/install-recovery.sh, select it and run as root and at boot (select the skull and gear icon).
    9. If all the above are not working, and the "install-recovery" line is present, then please paste the contents of your /etc/install-recovery.sh and /etc/install-recovery-2.sh if present somewhere (like http://pastebin.com and after applying the mod of course) here for me to debug. Take a screenshot of the output after running Term-init and post here, along with your ROM version, android version and name of device.
    @Ryuinferno Hey bro!
    While working on Pimp my Rom's bew beta, I came up with a way to grant init.d support to any device, which happens all on the app side, no need for install-recovery.sh (or any other file) modifications.

The concept is very simple but it's what makes it powerful and truly universal :

Using Android's BroadcastReceivers mechanism, the app detects whenever the device is rebooted, and when it does, after the boot is completed, it will execute all the scripts inside /system/etc/init.d automatically.
    I also refined the kernel init.d support testing, it now requires a reboot but will really detect if the user's kernel has init.d support by creating a simple init.d script that creates a file on the sdcard, and after the reboot, the app will check if the file has indeed been generated, if it does, the kernel has init.d support so the app is useless, otherwise, it doesn't.

Finally, I added options to manage the init.d scripts (edit/delete/run), and will probably soon add an option to select your "init.d" folder (i.e make it so that /sdcard/newinitd is considered as /system/etc/init.d and the app will execute all the scripts in it instead of in the real init.d folder).

The standalone app is fully open-source, so if you want to fork it/add it here/modify it to your needs, go ahead, it's yours : http://github.com/Androguide/Universal-init.d
    I attached a signed apk to this post.

Here are a few screenshots :

framed-initd1.jpg
    framed-initd2.jpg
    framed_initd3.jpg
    framed-initd4.jpg
    framed-initd5.jpg
    framed-initd6.jpg

Also, I wanted to ask you some help ;
    I could definitely use your bash knowledge for a new project I started, which allows to flash zips without using a recovery, if you got time, please go take a look and tell me if you see any mistake or better bash translations of updater-script commands. (thread here)

-