Spark : Desktop mirroring and web casting apps

Search This thread

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
Hey Guys,

We just released the desktop mirroring app and web video casting Chrome browser extension for Fire TV.
Both Mac and Windows platforms are supported.

Would love to hear back how you liked it.

You can download the Spark apps, FREE for a limited time from sparkup dot tv

Best,

Steve

imtiajmeah

Dec 7, 2004
London
Hey Guys,

We just released the desktop mirroring app and web video casting Chrome browser extension for Fire TV.

Best,

Steve

Cool app... once you remove the delay it will be a great app... ;)

Keep up the fantastic work

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
The desktop apps worked (does have a bit of lag), the Chrome extension does not find my Fire TV

There is a small bug we are fixing. If the Fire TV was not found in the first scan, we don't look for it until user clicks on the Spark extension button on the top right corner of the browser window.

Try clicking on the button as a work around for now. In the mean time we will fix the problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Steve

steellz

Mar 6, 2011
If u can fix the lag so that the sound is in sync this would be GREAT. so that i can use my Sweeet sound system with this . but so far so good.. the chrome plugin wont "fling" netflix

Edit: can u also make it so it Mirrors in 1920x1080 or higher?

Thanks

Last edited:

zons

May 26, 2014
Doesn't find my Fire TV

The windows desktop app doesn't find the Fire TV.
I've tried putting both the laptop and the FTV on 5 GHz, then both on 2.4 GHz, still nothing. I even disabled the firewall. The Chrome plugin doesn't find it either.

I was able to sideload other apps so far even when the laptop was on 2.4GHz and the FTV on 5GHz.

If you add the ability to insert the FTV IP manually that would be great. :)

Last edited:

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
If u can fix the lag so that the sound is in sync this would be GREAT. so that i can use my Sweeet sound system with this . but so far so good.. the chrome plugin wont "fling" netflix

Edit: can u also make it so it Mirrors in 1920x1080 or higher?

Thanks

Sure. Great suggestion. We will add the "extreme" quality setting that will be full 1080p. Please do check later in the week for updated app.
Also, we are constantly trying to improve AV sync. Its a hard problem to solve. Trying our best :)
Netflix blocks the flinging with DRM techniques. We are trying to find a way to get around it..

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
The windows desktop app doesn't find the Fire TV.
I've tried putting both the laptop and the FTV on 5 GHz, then both on 2.4 GHz, still nothing. I even disabled the firewall. The Chrome plugin doesn't find it either.

I was able to sideload other apps so far even when the laptop was on 2.4GHz and the FTV on 5GHz.

If you add the ability to insert the FTV IP manually that would be great. :)

Definitely. Adding the ability to add FireTV IP address is 1st priority right now. Should be there later this week.
My guess is something is blocking the port on which Spark app communicates i.e. TCP port 8990 is blocked.
Any Antivirus or firewall installed on the computer? I personally had bitter experiences with Norton and Adaware.

steellz

Mar 6, 2011
Sure. Great suggestion. We will add the "extreme" quality setting that will be full 1080p. Please do check later in the week for updated app.
Also, we are constantly trying to improve AV sync. Its a hard problem to solve. Trying our best :)
Netflix blocks the flinging with DRM techniques. We are trying to find a way to get around it..

Sweet thanks

Deimozzz

Jul 11, 2010
Hi.
Please add the ability to quickly turn off the plugin for Chrome. Use the plugin rare, but because of him Chrome started to slow down a bit.
Sorry for my English

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
Hi.
Please add the ability to quickly turn off the plugin for Chrome. Use the plugin rare, but because of him Chrome started to slow down a bit.
Sorry for my English

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is Chrome won't allow us to add a way to do that.
However, you can easily disable the extension by
1. Right clicking on the Spark icon
2. Click 'Manage' in the pop-up
3. Un-check the box in front of the Spark extension marked "Enabled"

This should disable the Spark extension.

To enable the extension back
1. Click on the right top corner of Chrome where all menu options are located.
2. Click Settings
3. Click Extensions
4. Check the box in front of Spark extension marked "Enabled"

Hope this helps.

Reactions: stanggman75

plarser48

Nov 19, 2011
Great concept! I love the seamless install!

I have it working on my Windows 8 machine using the desktop mirror app. I get about a 3 second lag between PC actions and it showing up on the screen.

I cannot get the chrome extension to work. When I click the icon, it says "no available devices"

guags99

Apr 6, 2008
I am unable to find my FireTV. Is it likely because my laptop is wireless and my FTV is wired? If so, would sideloading the APK allow it to connect across the wireless/wired networks?

Thanks!

SteveSpark

May 28, 2014
Great concept! I love the seamless install!

I have it working on my Windows 8 machine using the desktop mirror app. I get about a 3 second lag between PC actions and it showing up on the screen.

I cannot get the chrome extension to work. When I click the icon, it says "no available devices"

Thanks. Almost all problems on Windows are because of Firewalls or Anti virus programs blocking ports.
Try disabling the programs that can possibly block ports. Spark operates on TCP port 8990.

We are working hard on reducing the lag. Thanks again for the feedback.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

Best,

Steve
    Hi.
    Sorry for my English

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is Chrome won't allow us to add a way to do that.
    However, you can easily disable the extension by
    1. Right clicking on the Spark icon
    2. Click 'Manage' in the pop-up
    3. Un-check the box in front of the Spark extension marked "Enabled"

This should disable the Spark extension.

To enable the extension back
    1. Click on the right top corner of Chrome where all menu options are located.
    2. Click Settings
    3. Click Extensions
    4. Check the box in front of Spark extension marked "Enabled"

Hope this helps.