FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,679

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th December 2013, 06:56 PM |#101  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildenhain

Hi,

meaningwhile I searched a little bit the net and found that the sourcecode for Android 4.2 on mt6589 has already been published: www DOT etdroid.org/shanzhai/2013/04/16/acer-releases-mt6589-kernel-source-ahead-of-liquid-e2-launch/
Also the source of Android 4.1.2 has been published for several phones: www DOT hacktohell.org/2013/07/mediatek-mt6589-complete-source.html

So at least some customers of Mediatek received the sourcecode and published the code. Because the fact, that the GNU GPL is the licence of Linux and U-Boot (the bootloader probably used by the fairphone), Mediatek cannot disallow you to redistribute the source code (while you should include a written offer to give the source with the Fairphone , see gpl-violations.org/faq/vendor-faq.html).

Regards,
Benedikt

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hi,

I just saw the Fairphone repository on github now includes the over-the-air-update-tool, which looks for a new system image at kwamecorp.com/dev/latest.zip, which currently points to kwamecorp.com/dev/W20_HL_OTA20131114.zip, so if you want to take a look an the image, it's there

Regards,
Benedikt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastei

This is actually really disillusioning. In nearly every tech news the Fairphone was presented as smartphone with open bootloader. Fairphone itself was unfortunately really close-minded concerning these points. They never explained what "rootable" really means.

The FAQ on fairphone.com states that the users "can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding."
I'm not (yet) an expert in these things. But am I right that the Fairphone will not fulfill this statement? Or can you explain what is meant by "some hard coding" and "rootable"?

After reading some critical comments here and here I'm really unsure. I ordered a Fairphone believing it would be indeed possible to decide for myself and not being dependent on the releases of FairphoneOS. If I was wrong in this point – and at the moment it looks that way – I will cancel my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.lirius

i totally agree with #bastei
we trusted and financed your company and project but turns out that you were not trustable....

hope you will find quickily a solution for this because it is a major issue.

i will try to delete my order too

isn't this misleading advertising?!

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I also read the FAQs and found this sentence: "We are launching the phone with root access for the user (rootable), so they can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding."
After reading this, I would think about a switch in the security settings. And if I click that switch, let's call it "root access", than I have root access to the device. If it's not like this or smiliar to this, I see a big problem. And of course, if there is no open source, it will be hard to get a great community working on Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch or anything else.
In short and harsh: No source, no developers.

But I still believe, that Fariphone and Kwame really try to do their best to not only get a almost fair device, but also an open devices as good as possible. We can reject Fairphone or we try to help those guys. I think, the second way is the better one. Fairphone is not Samsung, so no anti-customer-rules like region lock, e-fuse or other bull**** included. This is a company, which can become a good manufacturer for phones, tablets and other wearables.

Thanks to @bwildenhain, @bastei and @the.lirius for your comments. I hope I can see more of those critical comments because they can be helpful. And I hope, Fairphone and Kwame will do their best to keep customers happy and developers motivated. It's up to them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
17th December 2013, 05:30 PM |#102  
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Post Peace of Mind+
Hi,

I have forked and published Fairphone's Peace of Mind app. Attached is the APK, and more information over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2573945

While working on the code, I have the impression that Kwamecorp didn't quite publish their final version, or they simply didn't have enough time to do some code cleanup The app looks nice though!
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v02.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.06 MB, 17 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mudar1771 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudar1771 Ad-Free
17th December 2013, 10:13 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Fairphone and OSS
Hi benkxda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

But I still believe, that Fariphone and Kwame really try to do their best to not only get a almost fair device, but also an open devices as good as possible. We can reject Fairphone or we try to help those guys. I think, the second way is the better one. Fairphone is not Samsung, so no anti-customer-rules like region lock, e-fuse or other bull**** included. This is a company, which can become a good manufacturer for phones, tablets and other wearables.

I still believe that Fairphone wants to do the best for its customers. However, their FAQ gave a promise regarding OSS development was quite promising and that in spite of selecting a Hardware Design based on mt6589, while Mediatek is not known to always comply with the GPL. One could conclude that they already had an agreement on this issue when they made their FAQ-entry on OSS, but they don't seem to have resolved it until now.

I am going to get the phone in some days. I am still considering to try to get some OSS boot-loader and a Linux kernel with known source running on it. I first thought about selling the Fairphone to someone else, but without having access to the source code that's quite risky, because I would have to offer the source code to the buyer, which I couldn't and so would break the license contract, which technically would disallow me to use Linux any more (as I am usually using Linux and also gave away Linux Distributions to some dozens of people and would like to continue so)

Regards,
Benedikt

P.S.: The correct address to a similar phone's source is jetdroid.org/shanzhai/2013/04/16/acer-releases-mt6589-kernel-source-ahead-of-liquid-e2-launch/ (I accidentally deleted the "j" last time I posted the link).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwildenhain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bwildenhain Ad-Free
17th December 2013, 10:43 PM |#104  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudar1488

Hi,

I have forked and published Fairphone's Peace of Mind app. Attached is the APK, and more information over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2573945

While working on the code, I have the impression that Kwamecorp didn't quite publish their final version, or they simply didn't have enough time to do some code cleanup The app looks nice though!

A good start. Thank you for sharing your fork with us. I wrote you some thoughts about it in your development thread. Maybe you find some time and go ahead with the development. Very useful for my business phone, maybe you can make me get 10 hours of peace...

EDIT: Maybe you'll let your app be tested in the proper thread: [INDEX] App Tester - Developers, here are your app testers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildenhain

Hi benkxda,

I still believe that Fairphone wants to do the best for its customers. However, their FAQ gave a promise regarding OSS development was quite promising and that in spite of selecting a Hardware Design based on mt6589, while Mediatek is not known to always comply with the GPL. One could conclude that they already had an agreement on this issue when they made their FAQ-entry on OSS, but they don't seem to have resolved it until now.

I am going to get the phone in some days. I am still considering to try to get some OSS boot-loader and a Linux kernel with known source running on it. I first thought about selling the Fairphone to someone else, but without having access to the source code that's quite risky, because I would have to offer the source code to the buyer, which I couldn't and so would break the license contract, which technically would disallow me to use Linux any more (as I am usually using Linux and also gave away Linux Distributions to some dozens of people and would like to continue so)

Regards,
Benedikt

P.S.: The correct address to a similar phone's source is jetdroid.org/shanzhai/2013/04/16/acer-releases-mt6589-kernel-source-ahead-of-liquid-e2-launch/ (I accidentally deleted the "j" last time I posted the link).

Ok, I see you take it very serious with the licensing - but that's just how it should be. And honestly, I never thought about that big issues on privately selling this phone. However, I remember the time as Qualcomm was dumb for a few days and denied access to the source code of the Nexus 7 (2103) device. Finally it was a too big pressure on them and they woke up. I hope, Fairphone can gain enough pressure to get the needed sources from Mediathek.

Thanks for the URL correction, here's the link for others: Acer releases MT6589 kernel source ahead of Liquid E2 launch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
19th December 2013, 03:31 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

... And honestly, I never thought about that big issues on privately selling this phone. However, I remember the time as Qualcomm was dumb for a few days and denied access to the source code of the Nexus 7 (2103) device. Finally it was a too big pressure on them and they woke up. I hope, Fairphone can gain enough pressure to get the needed sources from Mediathek.

I totally agree with that. There is no apologize for FP if they do not stand to their promise, that we will have an opportunity to flash other systems or ROMs. It was for me, like many other folks, on of my absolute priorities to buy and support a new company, that build a fairer AND open device!

I want to have a official statement of Joe or Kim at this point. We're waiting too long for this now! :/
I mean: We spend really much money months ago, for a product that was promised to be "open" and fairer. Were waiting till december now (didn't know that december is in "autumn") and now you are coming up with this ****, that you will not publish the source code for the boot loader etc.

That is not acceptable!

Regards,
Asmaron
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to asmaron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift asmaron Ad-Free
21st December 2013, 08:04 AM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmaron

I totally agree with that. There is no apologize for FP if they do not stand to their promise, that we will have an opportunity to flash other systems or ROMs. It was for me, like many other folks, on of my absolute priorities to buy and support a new company, that build a fairer AND open device!

I want to have a official statement of Joe or Kim at this point. We're waiting too long for this now! :/

+1

The silence from Fairphone that falls upon us now is deafening. It's quite a shame. Not what crisis PR 101 prescribes. Noncommunication is not in that book.

It looks as if the well-meaning startup entrepreneurs of FP are finding themselves in a pile of **** (called Mediatek? called corporate contract fine print? called we-don't-know-what-to-do-but-keep-on-shipping-and-moving-everything-out) so high it won't allow them to speak. That's bad. And sad.

Only one answer to all these questions and speculations will be right enough.

As a Dutch saying goes, trust may arrive on foot, it will leave on horseback.

Someone should be sending Kim a PM. Let's hope his phone is not off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DozerD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DozerD Ad-Free
21st December 2013, 08:20 AM |#107  
Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 1

More

21st December 2013, 04:55 PM |#108  
Flag turin
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerD

+1

The silence from Fairphone that falls upon us now is deafening. It's quite a shame. Not what crisis PR 101 prescribes. Noncommunication is not in that book.

It looks as if the well-meaning startup entrepreneurs of FP are finding themselves in a pile of **** (called Mediatek? called corporate contract fine print? called we-don't-know-what-to-do-but-keep-on-shipping-and-moving-everything-out) so high it won't allow them to speak. That's bad. And sad.

Only one answer to all these questions and speculations will be right enough.

As a Dutch saying goes, trust may arrive on foot, it will leave on horseback.

Someone should be sending Kim a PM. Let's hope his phone is not off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

i've asked for a refund ad obteined it in 3 woking days with no problems.

just saying
The Following User Says Thank You to the.lirius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the.lirius Ad-Free
25th December 2013, 08:10 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmaron

I mean: We spend really much money months ago, for a product that was promised to be "open" and fairer. Were waiting till december now (didn't know that december is in "autumn") and now you are coming up with this ****, that you will not publish the source code for the boot loader etc.

That is not acceptable!

+1 on that!

I commented on Fairphone's facebook post (the one where they release the "sources") expressing just these concerns. I haven't got an answer so far, let's hope it's due to christmas holidays. But i'm starting to get the impression that they're just not willing to answer uncomfortable questions and prefer 5% of the phones given back due to angry customers. It's probably still the fairest phone out there, but I'll feel betrayed if they won't release the complete bootloader, drivers and whatever the devs need to work (btw, my biggest thanks to all of them!).

That being said, my fairphone is due to get here in a couple of days. Even though I have no idea of coding for android, I've got a technical background and I'll be happy to alpha/beta test anything that comes along. If there's any other way I can help you guys (well, apart from learning how to code...sorry, no time for that ) just let me know.

Best,
Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to matt.s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matt.s Ad-Free
27th December 2013, 02:08 PM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Well it's true FP team were not always correct.
the fact they keep saying everywhere "if you can't open it, you don't own it" sounds a little ironical right now.
I also got a bit pissed off when I bought the fair-phone for the price off 325€ and got too pay extra fees that could have been more clearly exposed. Or when i figured out FF might not be working worldwide.

But to be honest what they are doing is great, and since I am not ready and capable of doing anything as great as this I think they deserve more our thanks than our rage, (even if i hop they can improve from our feedback and stop lying ? )
(So fairphone team sincere congratulation, you did great, keep up the good work, and understand that what we are angry for is not about something you couldn't do, but about something you could have said)
FP1 is gonna be over soon, I hope you will enjoy some rest

In other news some fairphone already arrived and others will follow very soon (including mine ), still, i haven't found yet on the fairphone website a link to OS binary that can be flashed on the phone for a factory reset. Did i miss something ? Are they not available but will they be available soon? Or is there another way to repair it's OS ?

Also, while searching the website for these links i found out some mistakes (like dead links for example), anyone knows if there is a way to report them?

Finally the fairphone already delivered are from the special edition (they got being ordered before the end of the kick-starting) therefore, the special surprise leaked on the web, i let you spoil yourself if that's what you want
29th December 2013, 11:05 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
new chipset
It seems like Fairphone changed the chipset to the MTK6589M and didn't even bother to announce this step actively. There is already some discussion going on in their support forum: w w w.fair phone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200625078-New-chipset

After some quick searching around, it seems to me that this chipset is just a downgraded version of the original one (w w w.giz china.com/2013/05/08/what-are-the-differences-between-mediatek-mt6589m-mt6589-and-mt6589t-soc/) and the sources are just as closed/unavailible. So we get less bang for the buck and still no chance for custom development. Am I missing something?

PS: You'll have to remove the spaces in the links, I'm not able to post them regularly as I'm new here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matt.s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matt.s Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)