FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,679

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th August 2013, 06:26 AM |#21  
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Flag Catskills, NY
Thanks Meter: 5,999

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Please, anybody who's registered at Facebook. Please drop Fairphone a message, someone should take care about this thread. More than two weeks no news, no answer, not anything.
We have currently 2,347 views on this thread. Without making progress like answering questions, supporting the devs, we won't be able to keep up the motivation of a lot of people who worked and will work in the future for free for the project, which is still a good idea, for the customers and last but surely not least for the company Fairphone. Folks, let's get back to work!

EDIT: I am not registered at this so called social network. Also, please one message should be enough. Be polite, of course.

I'll drop them a message tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeCriggs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2013, 03:17 PM |#22  
Flag Bonn
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
I will follow this thread closely as my wife is really interested in this phone. She read an article about it and maybe it is a nice idea for christmas this year. Great idea guys and I really appreciate that you stay in touch with the community of XDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to ErivShadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ErivShadow Ad-Free
27th August 2013, 09:34 AM |#23  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 214

More
August 27 Update from Fairphone
Hi everybody,

Sorry Sorry! Apologies for the delay in response - as you guessed, I have been on vacation the past couple weeks and I've adopted the Dutch/European ability to take holidays very seriously

So now I'm back and I see some more activity surrounding Fairphone - great!

But I want to be realistic here - we are only getting initial prototypes for internal testing now. Our own software is still being optimized for our hardware at the moment. Therefore, the things in a perfect world - full kernel source code, licenses for all hardware drivers - are still a work in progress.

But I don't want to be a buzzkill!! I joined XDA to see what kind of interest there was to port alternative OS's for our platform, and it's overwhelming to hear from you guys. Essentially, when we get our hardware ready, our software more mature, and the licensing agreements in place, we're hoping to get packages in the hands of you guys to help get things started. Hopefully the heavy lifting will have been done by then.

Any more questions - let me know!

Joe
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
27th August 2013, 11:36 AM |#24  
Flag Amsterdam

More
Again, I just want to thank you guys for all the support for Fairphone so far!

In the coming weeks, we hope to have a developer package so you can get your hands dirty. Thanks for your patience as we continue working on getting the phone ready for assembly!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
27th August 2013, 06:17 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemier

Hi everybody,

Sorry Sorry! Apologies for the delay in response - as you guessed, I have been on vacation the past couple weeks and I've adopted the Dutch/European ability to take holidays very seriously

So now I'm back and I see some more activity surrounding Fairphone - great!

But I want to be realistic here - we are only getting initial prototypes for internal testing now. Our own software is still being optimized for our hardware at the moment. Therefore, the things in a perfect world - full kernel source code, licenses for all hardware drivers - are still a work in progress.

But I don't want to be a buzzkill!! I joined XDA to see what kind of interest there was to port alternative OS's for our platform, and it's overwhelming to hear from you guys. Essentially, when we get our hardware ready, our software more mature, and the licensing agreements in place, we're hoping to get packages in the hands of you guys to help get things started. Hopefully the heavy lifting will have been done by then.

Any more questions - let me know!

Joe

Quote:

Again, I just want to thank you guys for all the support for Fairphone so far!

In the coming weeks, we hope to have a developer package so you can get your hands dirty. Thanks for your patience as we continue working on getting the phone ready for assembly!

Good to have you back, Joe.

Ok, another few questions for passing some time: Will the firmware updates of the Fairphone be spread over the air (OTA) or do we have to download those? Also, how close to Vanilla/Stock Android will the Fairphone version of Android be? How long will be updates available, for eg. for 2 years (warranty time) or 3 years or more? Are you planning a tablet as well or is it depending on the success of the Fairphone? And finally, when do you expect the prototypes for externals, like mobile device related web pages or devs/reviewers? Or do you plan to hand over only the finished versions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
28th August 2013, 10:11 PM |#26  
Flag Amsterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Good to have you back, Joe.

Ok, another few questions for passing some time: Will the firmware updates of the Fairphone be spread over the air (OTA) or do we have to download those? Also, how close to Vanilla/Stock Android will the Fairphone version of Android be? How long will be updates available, for eg. for 2 years (warranty time) or 3 years or more? Are you planning a tablet as well or is it depending on the success of the Fairphone? And finally, when do you expect the prototypes for externals, like mobile device related web pages or devs/reviewers? Or do you plan to hand over only the finished versions?

Hi there. Here's a rundown of your questions, in brief!

1. Will the firmware updates of the Fairphone be spread over the air (OTA) or do we have to download those?
>>>
Possibly OTA. Depends on the size of the required updates. Stock android to be provided as well (timing TBD, possibly at launch).

2. How close to Vanilla/Stock Android will the Fairphone version of Android be?
>>>
Depends on who you ask I guess . We've just announced a Pop-Up Space in London with our partners, Kwame, to show off the OS and have a lot of demos and presentations. You're all invited, definitely! It is all day September 19 & 20 in the heart of London, and I'm hoping to get a lot of video footage from it.

I'll post all the info in another Reply!

3. How long will be updates available, for eg. for 2 years (warranty time) or 3 years or more?
>>>
Rolling updates as much / as long as possible to ensure longevity of the device (part of the mission of the company of course!).

4. Are you planning a tablet as well or is it depending on the success of the Fairphone?
>>>
I've been asked this before, which I think says there is definitely a demand for it. But nope, at the moment we are only focussing on the phone!

5. And finally, when do you expect the prototypes for externals, like mobile device related web pages or devs/reviewers? Or do you plan to hand over only the finished versions?
>>>
Only finished versions. And I would say no earlier than October. I don't want to get any hopes up too high, so I have to be modest with these kinds of dates!

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Hey XDA,

You're Invited! Here's the full invitation and information for our Pop-Up Space in London coming up mid-September.

Cheers,
Joe
FP Community Manager

----------

We’d like to invite you to get up close and personal with our brand new Fairphone!

On September 19 & 20, you'll be able to hold our first prototype Fairphone in your own two hands, learn more about our journey and meet the team!

For a few days in the heart of Soho, we’re creating a small Fairphone world with our partners from Kwamecorp during London Design Week. Besides a celebration, there will be demos and presentations, urban mining and design workshops, a hackathon, and so much more.

Join us to meet the very first smartphone that puts social values first every step of the way. We wouldn't have made it this far without people like you - so we hope to see you there!

----------
LOCATION & OPENING TIMES

Fairphone Pop-Up Space
Kwamecorp Showroom
94 Berwick Street
W1F 0QF London
http://goo.gl/maps/1n18u

Showroom: 19 & 20 September, 10 am to 10pm
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
28th August 2013, 11:57 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Hi there. Here's a rundown of your questions, in brief!

1. Will the firmware updates of the Fairphone be spread over the air (OTA) or do we have to download those?
>>>
Possibly OTA. Depends on the size of the required updates. Stock android to be provided as well (timing TBD, possibly at launch).

2. How close to Vanilla/Stock Android will the Fairphone version of Android be?
>>>
Depends on who you ask I guess . We've just announced a Pop-Up Space in London with our partners, Kwame, to show off the OS and have a lot of demos and presentations. You're all invited, definitely! It is all day September 19 & 20 in the heart of London, and I'm hoping to get a lot of video footage from it.

I'll post all the info in another Reply!

3. How long will be updates available, for eg. for 2 years (warranty time) or 3 years or more?
>>>
Rolling updates as much / as long as possible to ensure longevity of the device (part of the mission of the company of course!).

4. Are you planning a tablet as well or is it depending on the success of the Fairphone?
>>>
I've been asked this before, which I think says there is definitely a demand for it. But nope, at the moment we are only focussing on the phone!

5. And finally, when do you expect the prototypes for externals, like mobile device related web pages or devs/reviewers? Or do you plan to hand over only the finished versions?
>>>
Only finished versions. And I would say no earlier than October. I don't want to get any hopes up too high, so I have to be modest with these kinds of dates!

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Hey XDA,

You're Invited! Here's the full invitation and information for our Pop-Up Space in London coming up mid-September.

Cheers,
Joe
FP Community Manager

----------

We’d like to invite you to get up close and personal with our brand new Fairphone!

On September 19 & 20, you'll be able to hold our first prototype Fairphone in your own two hands, learn more about our journey and meet the team!

For a few days in the heart of Soho, we’re creating a small Fairphone world with our partners from Kwamecorp during London Design Week. Besides a celebration, there will be demos and presentations, urban mining and design workshops, a hackathon, and so much more.

Join us to meet the very first smartphone that puts social values first every step of the way. We wouldn't have made it this far without people like you - so we hope to see you there!

----------
LOCATION & OPENING TIMES

Fairphone Pop-Up Space
Kwamecorp Showroom
94 Berwick Street
W1F 0QF London
http://goo.gl/maps/1n18u

Showroom: 19 & 20 September, 10 am to 10pm

Pretty nice answers. I merged several of them a bit shrinked in the first post ("Q&A discussion - You ask, Fairphone replies"). Please check them to make sure I don't publish crap. I hope we get much vids and pics for this thread from this event in London. As we expect Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is coming up with the next Nexus Smartphone in October/November, you can jump directly from 4.2x - by the way, which version exactly is in the Fairphone? 4.2.2? - to 5.0 which leads to much new development manpower. Hope you can handle this and provide as soon as possible a Fairphone upgrade to 5.0 maybe for xmas. Ok, I am too far in the future now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
29th August 2013, 09:57 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey, cool.

Thank you.
29th August 2013, 10:29 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Hi Joe,
thanks for your time and your answers

Do you know if their will be an early uart acces to bootloader and consol during boot ?

And if so will we have to open the phone, to weld our own cable, and so on ? or will a simple usb cable be ok ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreThanADev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MoreThanADev Ad-Free
6th September 2013, 10:35 AM |#31  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 32

More
The actual delivery time is December.. I hope that it will be the final one. I can't wait for my Fairphone!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deedend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deedend Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)