Red and black

I wanted to see a red and black
no app icons just the basic default theme
but with those colors or red and the default gray
im trying to make one myself but not having enough time an d a noob at all this

chrisgol

Jan 16, 2009
theme

Ubuntu or redhat icon set or if you know a better looking icon set. With a macish dock and sick background image. that would be a nice theme colors: light gray/transparent and dark blue or black
tell me what you think
Thanks,
Chris

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
General Questions go here ONLY!!!

Wallpapers:

What should the size resolution of a wallpaper be?
  • 640x480
How do you add wallpapers and where?
  • Mount your phone when you plug in the USB cord

• Create a folder on your SD Card named wallpapers

• Drag and drop the wallpaper from your PC's desktop to the wallpaper folder on your SD Card

• Unplug the USB Cord

• Click on menu -> wallpaper -> Pictures

or

Save PNG files in your directory called "wallpapers" and this app sets them without jpg compression!

Themes:

Do i need root access to install a theme?

• YES
Is there a manual on how to create a theme???

• Yes, they are located here.
Can you cross files between themes??

• Not always, stuff like the clock, search bar, etc yes you can. But you should not cross .apks because each version is a little different. RC8 and RC30 are very similar but ADP1 is extremely different somehow...so don't cross apks with that at all.
    Stericson
Can current themes work on "Cupcake?"
Where to change the application tab???
Where to change the dialer icon and the dail pad color???
  • Phone.apk\res\drawable-finger - for the in-call pull-up numpad
  • Contacts.apk\res\drawable - for the dialer and contacts icons
  • Contacts.apk\res\drawable-finger - for the default (not in-call) numpad
I just have a question about after you get a theme. Does it wipe out all the info you have? Like is it like installing a ROM? Or it only changes the theme?
  • Not these days. Chances are it will not wipe your info.
Do you have to sign all apks? or just update.zip?
  • i only sign every .apk when i make ALOT of changes or when im sharing an .apk with somebody .. but if i make only some changes i only sign the update.zip and it seems to do the trick..BUT i dont suggest to only sign the update.zip.
Is there a good site for icons to be used in a theme?
Can i store multiple themes on a SD card??? If so, how??
  • Yes you can
  • Mount your phone using your USB Cable
  • On the SD Cards root directory....create a folder named "Themes"
  • Place the themes you want in that folder
  • Download some file manager program from the market..ex OI File Manager, Astro, etc.

Actually installing any theme onto your theme:
  • Copy the theme you want to use in the root of the card
  • Rename file update.zip...make sure you only have 1 file with that name in root directory of the card
  • reboot your phone prior to turning back on....PRESS and hold the call+Menu+end call till the recovery mode appears. Press ALT+S, let it update and finish, then finish off with the back+home key to reboot

Last edited:

trzackery

Jan 3, 2009
gucci theme

im a big gucci fan and would love to see a gucci theme with special icons and def the gucci colors

dthadamaja

Feb 10, 2008
question for all the theme makers

Im curious if anyone has been able to locate the files for the clock on the notification bar. the one that is actually displayed at all times digitally. I'm pulling my hair out trying to look for the darn thing:(

Henchman

Mar 22, 2007
Sherman oaks
www.markhensley.tv
All themes except Macdroid Fail to install

No matter what i do, every single theme I've tried to install, hangs at the G1 screen after rebooting.
The only theme I can get to work is the Macdroid theme.

Any ideas?

speoples20

Jun 10, 2007
No matter what i do, every single theme I've tried to install, hangs at the G1 screen after rebooting.
The only theme I can get to work is the Macdroid theme.

Any ideas?

What version of RC30 are you running? Make sure you are running JFv1.31 because it has more room and most themes are a little larger than the stock theme. If you are not running JFv1.31 flash that then try the themes. If that doesn't work try wiping you handset then try it.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
theme software?

is anyone working on a theme software? Like something similar to Sony Ericsson Themes Creator. Where it gives you a preview of how it looks and all you have to do is click what you want to change and add the new file for it?

Well if anyone is working on 1 let me know ill try to help

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
My guess is the people who can make this happen are waiting to see if Google does it for us. No point in spending a lot of time in creating something that Google might do for us. Also, Android is still in its infancy, so chances are that Google will change how the Android GUI works which would render the theme software useless.

Having said that, I would definitely love such an application.

hondamx525

Oct 22, 2008
I need some help guys, i've made themes, ive installed themes, and i always used dave's way to do it. but right now i cannot install the update that comes with his autosign folder. That update alone causes the hang on the t-mobile screen, but it never used to, i even did a wipe, any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I am a little new here. I am kind of a newb with a lot of things. I did root my device and replaced the boot images.. but i do not know how to make themes. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help by making a theme for me?

I added some images as to what i am looking to have done, that is of course anyone is willing to help. it is fairly simple i am looking to get the color scheme and kids icons if possible... maybe have a little fun with the clock or not if its too much work.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it... i am a graphic designer more than a programmer.. a lot of this is confusing to me.

I really like this site and hopefully i can be of some help at some point. This is my first post but i plan on posting a lot more.
    I would like to change the text color of the popup panel or menu to white.

paneltext.jpg

I have a nexus one, using CM6, and decompiled my framework-res.apk. I found in the Value folder that the styles.xml has the following that is relevant to changing the panel text color. The code:

<item name="panelBackground">@drawable/menu_background</item>
    <item name="panelFullBackground">@drawable/menu_background_fill_parent_width</item>
    <item name="panelColorForeground">?textColorPrimaryInverse</item>
    <item name="panelColorBackground">#ffffffff</item>
    <item name="panelTextAppearance">?textAppearanceInverse</item>

I did several things but the text is still black.

1)I removed "Inverse",
    2)changed the "panelColorBackground" to #ff000000 and, left "panelColorForeground" "panelTextAppearance" alone.
    3)removed "Inverse"

Nothing helps. Do you have any idea?

After I changed the styles.xml, I recompiled, copied original AndroidManifest.xml and META-INF folder to the modded framework-res.apk, then pushed. Is any of the following incorrect?

please help

In the styles.xml change:

<style name="TextAppearance.Widget.IconMenu.Item" parent="@style/TextAppearance.Small">
    <item name="textColor">?textColorPrimaryInverse</item>

to

<style name="TextAppearance.Widget.IconMenu.Item" parent="@style/TextAppearance.Small">
    <item name="textColor">@color/bright_foreground_dark</item>
    Nice concept...but I`m not sure if you have looked at this topic http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=467639 It describe how to make a theme and stuff, good starting point anyways. Hope it helps!
    @brandenk

why do we need to zip the files in linux? By the way thanks for the theming for dummies guide. ;)

I don't know why, something about how linux packages zip files opposed to windows, and yes once I figure it out and find all the problems people can have I am going to make up a nice walkthrough on making themes. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some theme manager apps in the works to make this whole process easier.
    Im teaching myself how to make themes as well. I have found it best to read through that walkthrough a million times and then PM a couple of the dev guys to answer specific questions.

Basically this is the process:

- Take a theme that you like for RC30 or ADP1 or whatever you wanna make it in

- Extract 2 folders inside, app, and framework into a new folder on your computer

- Rename add a .zip to the end of the apk files and extract them all so you have a bunch of folders with your app names

- Go into res and find any folder that says drawable and inside of there are the files to edit for your theme. Make sure not to edit the .9.png files.

- Once all your editing is done get into linux and turn all the folders back into zip files, then turn them back into apk files.

- Then take your app folder and framework folder that contain the new files and in linux create it into one zip file.

- Then you send the file back to windows, get the SignAPK files, put your zip in the folder with the SignAPK files and run some commands in the CMD to resign the file.

- Then rename that file update.zip and put it on the SDcard and give it a whirl.

This is how I understand the process after talking to a couple people for the last few days. I am hoping to release my own theme soon and if it works you will know that these steps are right. LOL And dont follow those directions, they are just to give you an idea of the steps involved.