FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By thenrz, Senior Member on 29th September 2012, 10:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2012, 02:52 AM |#11  
Flag DC-MDPGC-DMV
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

If your prompt isnt turning to the # symbol after SU you don't actually have root =/

Try the steps again. I know I had to do it several times before it was successful for me
I used these steps exactly

1. adb shell
2. su
(# - you should see this now! This will not work without this specific prompt!)
3. type 'exit' press enter, and then 'exit' again. You will now be back at the regular command prompt.
4. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
5. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\su /data/local/tmp
6. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\busybox /data/local/tmp
7. Access the adb shell again, and type su
8. chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/superuser.apk
9. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
10. chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
11. mount -o remount,rw /system
12. dd if=/data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk
13. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/bin/busybox
14. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox
15. chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
16. chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
17. busybox rm /system/bin/su
18. busybox cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
Type su once again to assure you still have access to the # prompt
19. chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
20. type exit, and exit again, returning to the regular windows command prompt.
21. type 'adb reboot' (without quotes)

NOTE - you will not need to install the superuser.apk app in the normal sense. It will be installed upon the reboot as a system app automatically!
22. Once your prime has rebooted, go download root checker basic or the like from the play store. Open it, and wait for your superuser prompt!
23. Get the busybox installer from the play store as well, and use that to get the newest version of busybox.

30th September 2012, 04:14 AM |#12  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 275

More
Are you suggesting that if I do a system wipe on my stock rom JB and run your commands I will eventually get root?
30th September 2012, 04:31 AM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
Hx4700, i got stuck doing a wipe after the update, and this worked for me. The wipe does not seem to remove su from /system/bin/ meaning we have a way back in through adb.
30th September 2012, 04:35 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
But, what if Voodoo didn't work before and you are unable to get su through adb in the first place? Are you suggesting that a wipe will resolve the blocked root access or did you have different circumstances?
30th September 2012, 04:39 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Are you suggesting that if I do a system wipe on my stock rom JB and run your commands I will eventually get root?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin_SW

But, what if Voodoo didn't work before and you are unable to get su through adb in the first place? Are you suggesting that a wipe will resolve the blocked root access or did you have different circumstances?

If you cannot access a root prompt, then i do not believe it will work. Using a file explorer like es, does a su file exist in /system/bin? I had to wipe as i was bootlooping, and cant comment on how it pertains to how i was able to get root back!
30th September 2012, 04:43 AM |#16  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrz

If you cannot access a root prompt, then i do not believe it will work. Using a file explorer like es, does a su file exist in /system/bin? I had to wipe as i was bootlooping, and cant comment on how it pertains to how i was able to get root back!

Yes, one does. Also su-backup in /system... Any feelings?
30th September 2012, 04:50 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Hm, weird you cant get a root prompt through adb. From my experience, if su exists there, adb should be able to invoke a root prompt. Do you have any issue using adb push?
30th September 2012, 04:53 AM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrz

Hm, weird you cant get a root prompt through adb. From my experience, if su exists there, adb should be able to invoke a root prompt. Do you have any issue using adb push?

Nope adb push works fine. But I can't mount /system rw, which is causing me the headache. Really wish I had known the voodoo update switched around things. I feel so foolish haha.
30th September 2012, 05:41 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

If your prompt isnt turning to the # symbol after SU you don't actually have root =/

I figured that would be the problem... Should I root my device using the ICS method first or that wouldn't work any more?
30th September 2012, 05:42 AM |#20  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 275

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontorus

I figured that would be the problem... Should I root my device using the ICS method first or that wouldn't work any more?

Nothing is for me and many others.
30th September 2012, 05:46 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Nothing is for me and many others.

Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying right now there's no way for many of us to get a root access to our devices if the abovementioned method is not working, right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
prime, restore root, root, tf201

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)