FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By thenrz, Senior Member on 29th September 2012, 09:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2012, 04:46 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

Nothing is for me and many others.

Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying right now there's no way for many of us to get a root access to our devices if the abovementioned method is not working, right?

30th September 2012, 04:49 AM |#22  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 274

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontorus

Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying right now there's no way for many of us to get a root access to our devices if the abovementioned method is not working, right?

As far as I know, unless someone is keeping a HUGE secret.

I should mention the unlocker from ASUS but i don't know if anyone has tried it on JellyBean
The Following User Says Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hx4700 Killer Ad-Free
30th September 2012, 05:35 AM |#23  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

I should mention the unlocker from ASUS but i don't know if anyone has tried it on JellyBean

jamesh1979 confirmed his success with the unlocker on JB. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=19
BTW is it possible to root with the unlock tool? If so how?
30th September 2012, 02:07 PM |#24  
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbag Inc.

jamesh1979 confirmed his success with the unlocker on JB. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=19
BTW is it possible to root with the unlock tool? If so how?

It is more insidious than a straight unlock. You have to be unlocked to actually flash back to 4.0.3 stock asus firmware, then root. The people I read who kept root with OTA rootkeeper were using SuperSU after JB update.

So unlock, downgrade, root and use SuperSU, use OTA RootKeeper and then re-upgrade. This however isnt a guarantee. =/
30th September 2012, 03:37 PM |#25  
Flag DC-MDPGC-DMV
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Quote:

It is more insidious than a straight unlock. You have to be unlocked to actually flash back to 4.0.3 stock asus firmware, then root. The people I read who kept root with OTA rootkeeper were using SuperSU after JB update.

So unlock, downgrade, root and use SuperSU, use OTA RootKeeper and then re-upgrade. This however isnt a guarantee. =/

My tablet was not unlocked and I had just stock with root. I wasn't using SuperSU before the JB updates. I used Superuser and restored root with OTA Rootkeeper after the update. Once I shut down the tablet (on Thursday night) it forced me to do a full restore after bootlooping when I turned it back on at work Friday.

Once thenrz posted his thread, I noticed I had a partial root, I had Superuser.apk in system/app and I could see su in /system/bin/ but no su-backup. I used the FileManager not ES Explorer to look for these. Once I saw I had both of those, I went ahead with adb to push the files with the commands and I gained root access again.
30th September 2012, 03:52 PM |#26  
Texas

More
The thing that puzzles me the most is that I was using superuser elite not SuperSU when I used OTA Rootkeeper. Rootkeeper didnt offer a root restore after OTA update.

Even now though in ADB Shell if I type SU I can see in the superuser log it instantly shows SHELL Allowed. The prompt doesnt change to # though and I can't remount as RW etc... so I am stuch there.

If I open terminal on the device and type SU the log showed denied so WTF?
30th September 2012, 03:55 PM |#27  
Flag DC-MDPGC-DMV

More
Quote:

The thing that puzzles me the most is that I was using superuser elite not SuperSU when I used OTA Rootkeeper. Rootkeeper didnt offer a root restore after OTA update.

Even now though in ADB Shell if I type SU I can see in the superuser log it instantly shows SHELL Allowed. The prompt doesnt change to # though and I can't remount as RW etc... so I am stuch there.

If I open terminal on the device and type SU the log showed denied so WTF?

If you have the files in there (Superuser.apk in system/app and su in system/bin) it should work for you...are those file there?
30th September 2012, 03:57 PM |#28  
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpgc

If you have the files in there (Superuser.apk in system/app and su in system/bin) it should work for you...are those file there?

Nope.

I'm just puzzled at the "Allowed" in the log?!

In /data/local/tmp I do see a file _su what is that? If I try to execute the _su I get permission denied.
30th September 2012, 04:02 PM |#29  
Flag DC-MDPGC-DMV

More
Quote:

Nope.

In /data/local/tmp I do see a file _su what is that? If I try to execute the _su I get permission denied.

That is puzzling. You just might have to unlock, downgrade, root and use SuperSU, use OTA RootKeeper and then re-upgrade. but i thought if your tablet had a unlocked bootloader then you could not get the update.
30th September 2012, 04:07 PM |#30  
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpgc

That is puzzling. You just might have to unlock, downgrade, root and use SuperSU, use OTA RootKeeper and then re-upgrade. but i thought if your tablet had a unlocked bootloader then you could not get the update.

Hrm, found SU in the /system/xbin folder

and I kept the original dlpkgfile from the OTA update. I just don't want to void the warranty, the thing is a week old =/ Rather annoying.
30th September 2012, 08:21 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Quote:

Nope.

_su is a file used by one of the root methods out there. (bin4ry's i think) I think that's the su that is restored to /system by the exploit? Anyway, _su can't get us anywhere in this case. The lid on JB seems pretty tight.

ALSO! Make sure to keep a backup root with voodoo or super su after completing this guide! I have lost root after about 24 hours (VERY WELL may have been my own fault... too much poking around maybe?) Anyway, better safe than sorry!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
prime, restore root, root, tf201

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)